Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,186 members, 7,825,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? (2259 Views)

Poll: Who deserves the greatest praise for a good movie?

Writer: 28% (10 votes)
Producer: 11% (4 votes)
Director: 45% (16 votes)
Cameraman: 0% (0 votes)
Actors: 14% (5 votes)
Editor: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Movie Acting Tips: 11 Tips On How To Be A Good Movie Actor/actress / Mtn Project Fame 2: Is Mike Deserves The Win? / Who Deserves To Be A Millionaire? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by Johnny(m): 3:19pm On Feb 28, 2007
Who Does The Greatest Job?

It puzzles my mind each time I watch a good movie as to who deserves the credit of the good work. Is it the Writer, the Actor, the Cameraman or the Director? If you already know, please tell me.
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by cuteass1(f): 5:52pm On Feb 28, 2007
Every of those mentioned above did contribute to the success of the movie, so i'ld say ALL wink

They all work hand in hand, look at it this way:

If the writer hadn't come up with the brilliant story, then the rest wouldn't have had something to work on.
If the actor hadn't acted marvellously then the writer's story wouldn't have given such impact on the watcher(s)
If the cameraman wasn't doing his job, then there wouldn't have been a movie. The actor would have just been acting and talking to himself and at the end of the day, there'ldn't be a cassette.
Last but not least, without the director's presence, the writer's, actor's and cameraman's splendid work wouldn't have been noticed.

Hope that answers your question wink
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by bluenubian(f): 5:56pm On Feb 28, 2007
no movie will come out right without all the people. but i guess in the end its the director that decides how the viewers see the movie. it still puzzles me how a director that cant speak a lick of English direct an all American movie.
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by Seun(m): 7:57pm On Feb 28, 2007
A good movie must have an excellent story, good acting, and a good picture. The Writer, Director Of Photography, Sound Director, Editor and Actors all contribute to the movie, but they are all cordinated by the director.

However, before we throw our praise at the feet of directors, let us remember that there's someone responsible for:
a) Obtaining a good script.
b) Hiring a good director.
c) Raising money so the director can do his job.
d) Supervising the work of the director.

If we must throw our praises at the feet of one person, I think it should be the above person: The Producer!!
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by adconline(m): 9:41pm On Feb 28, 2007
the originator of the idea- writer deserves more credite than anybody
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by Ndipe(m): 10:36pm On Feb 28, 2007
The writer of the movie, for their creativity.
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by swing: 11:36pm On Feb 28, 2007
undecided
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by Loads: 11:38pm On Feb 28, 2007
I will say THE PRODUCER, there are lots of writers out there, good writers but their story is doing nothing in the bottom of their wardrope.  A Producer makes a movie happens and like Seun said he employs the good Director that brings the movie to screen. WITHOUT producers there will be no HOLLYWOOD. That is why producers get the biggest slice of the pie. Thats my opinion.
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by bunmii(f): 12:12am On Mar 01, 2007
all of them i suppose
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by cuteass1(f): 12:40am On Mar 01, 2007
I agree with Seun and loads on the fact that the producer does a whole lot . . . . BUT that does not in any way give him all the credit. Let him try producing without the others mentioned being present and let's see if he has anything to produce at the end of the day . . . .
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by TerraCotta(m): 3:06am On Mar 01, 2007
The producer is definitely a good choice, since the financing and assembling of talent is arranged by them, but from an artistic standpoint, the director is responsible for making or breaking a film. S/he guides the actors, supervises the cinematographers, translates the writer's script from a written document into a visual product, works with the editor to put the scenes together in post-production, and tries to make sure that the project stays within the budget set by the producer. Many casual film-goers might not be aware of it, but directors are the invisible hands that craft a successful film.
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by Blow(m): 11:02am On Mar 01, 2007
Well the Producer is like the Chairman of a company, has got the money to hire this other guys to make a movie, sure deserves some credit.

But methinks the scriptwriter or perhaps the author of a book being adapted into the movie (Harry Porter, Lord of the rings, The Godfather) in the actual fact is the originator and inventor of the movie, so deserves much more credit.

The directors also should be given a lot of credits as stated by members above, same for cameramen, costume designers and other production crews.

However in the real world the ACTORS get the most credit and most celebrated in the movie industries, You can check categories in the Oscars and Golden globe awards.
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by snapDragon: 5:58pm On Mar 01, 2007
THE PRODUCER?
Crap!
O yes, he's got the money. But i say that the Writer gets highest acclaim of the day for thinking/ or adapting such brilliant work, esp if the movie's real good (Running on Empty). Ofcourse there have been bad movies made from from really shitty scripts (Crow 2) but often than not Producers (Studio heads, Moneybag middlemen) interfere on the road to the final product of good scripts and when the movies gets to the silver screen they become bombs (Riddick 2; great concept, poor execution).

The Scriptwriter gets the day is what I say, cool
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by ellab(f): 8:29pm On Mar 01, 2007
Well,i think the writer should be given the praise.the writer sacrificed his in writing it.but it looks confusing.undecided
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by ellab(f): 8:31pm On Mar 01, 2007
Well,i think the writer should be given the praise.the writer sacrificed his time in writing it.but it looks confusing.undecided
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by PoDeep(m): 10:45pm On Mar 01, 2007
Well i dont know about who 'deserves' the credit but i know the director usually gets the props in hollywood.Thats why u see that when they say 'A Martin Scorsese film' it means 'directed by martin scorsese'. BUT out here in Nigeria,if they say 'a Bayowa film' it means 'produced by Bayowa'. BUT!!!!!!! There are some directors that write,cos i also deeply admire the writer,eg.Steven Spielberg & my favorite,the master of gore himself;Quentin Tarantino.
(Sorry if i've gone off topic)
BUT!!! JUST INCASE U DIDNT KNOW,i watched National geographic a few days back & there was a feature focused on author Dan brown's 'Da Vinci code'.
Investigations were made & it was found that The 'Priory of Sion'  does not exist,Christ never had sex with Magdalene & they never had a daughter & the book is just a fiction with a few evidences but no proof.Messed up aint it?
Dan brown aint no true historian,just a heretic money maker.
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by freddie1(m): 10:44am On Mar 02, 2007
The Director !!!
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by Johnny(m): 11:41am On Mar 02, 2007
Without being biased, and going by the threads posted by the various contributors, I will give my own credit to the WRITER. I write a little, at least I have two unpublished books to my credit. Friends, it's not damm easy to write a good story, be it true or fictitious. So the man or woman who sat down and wrote a story, and some people 'just' directed or acted the script, to me deserves the credit. Not forgetting the fact that without Mr A or B, the film wouldnt have come out the way it came out anyway.
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by Badman888(m): 12:55pm On Mar 02, 2007
The director is a good pick, but i would go with the writers its them that write rubbish or a good movie, just like most of the nollywood script, the directer has no choice but to stick with it, So the writers are like the backbone of a movie
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by Raymand(m): 2:20pm On Mar 02, 2007
They ALL do! one person CAN'T make a good movie!
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by ronnieslimz(f): 3:38pm On Mar 02, 2007
i'll rather give the credit to them all. . cos it's kind of a team work in which the failure of an individual is the team's failure, so they all deserve it!!
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by iice(f): 9:42am On Mar 04, 2007
@TerraCotta - Word!

When i was watching the Oscars, my favorite part was when the best original script was presented. Each film clip was shown with the presenters reading parts of the clips to show how it came to life. . .Yeah the magic of film making. . .i got goosebumps just watching that part.
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by adconline(m): 12:34pm On Mar 04, 2007
if movie were to be considered as an invention who would hold the patent? the Writer. Making of a movie starts at the conceptualization of an idea. The thinker, or the writer makes movies happen.
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by Seun(m): 2:15pm On Mar 04, 2007
But the inventor is not necessarily the most important person in a manufacturing company. Who invented Omo?
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by Ndipe(m): 11:33pm On Mar 04, 2007
If Things Fall Apart was adapted into a movie and it was hailed as one of the best movies of all times, guess what? The writer of course, would still get the biggest applause, because, were it not for him, the novel would not have seen the light of the day.
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by Seun(m): 11:12am On Mar 05, 2007
Writers are important, to be sincere. They deserve more praise. Without good writers, the others can't do their jobs.
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by adconline(m): 9:26am On Mar 06, 2007
Seun , the first time wey i see you give in. may be that was so '06.
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by Ndipe(m): 9:34am On Mar 06, 2007
Seun, you finally caved in? Quite unusual, I'd comment. Hope you embrace Christianity too.
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by TerraCotta(m): 10:13pm On Mar 06, 2007
The writer seems like the obvious choice, but it's not really that logical. Cinema is different from literature--in any number of films, you might see up to five or six people with writing credits at the end. You might see a writer credited alongside with someone who originated an idea (a lot of book/comic book/television show adaptations are like this) and so on. Scripts are constantly revised by actors, directors, producers and so on as well.

Writers do come up with an initial idea, but a movie isn't like a book where it's the writer's talent with words that makes you love the story and feel attached to the characters. Scripts have very little in the way of stage direction. There's not much in the way of emotional descriptions, like there is in a book that goes into depth about the characters. The person that gives a film its unique feel and brings the characters and atmosphere to life is the director. It's the director's choice of camera angles, lighting, acting style, set design etc. that all comes together to turn a script into a vision. Just my opinion.
Re: Who Deserves The Most Credit For A Good Movie? by iice(f): 5:26pm On Mar 07, 2007
And someone who understands movie making too! tongue

(1) (Reply)

Private Practice Tv Show / Watch Over 76 Yoruba Movies In A Slide Shows / Safe House Writer In Talks To Pen Bad Boys 3 Script

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.