Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,905 members, 7,810,485 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:56 AM

How To Start Plantain Chips Production - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Start Plantain Chips Production (26586 Views)

How To Start Plantain Chips Business In Nigeria / How To Start Plantain Chips Business With Low Capital / Pant Of Lady Hawking Plantain In Leggings In Lagos Shows, Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by oka4ugoo: 10:31pm On Jan 04, 2018
No pic, why nah? Abi ur phone no get camera?
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by phieccayurmie(f): 10:31pm On Jan 04, 2018
Yungwizzzy28:
Nice business idea. I prefer that longer chips its tastier. I have the capital but no chance at all. I'm in Lagos who's in partnership??
chat me up if u re interested,am ready to partner with u..thanks
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by donnaD(f): 10:34pm On Jan 04, 2018
wao great business.I will try it for a start and see how it goes.13k is ok for a start for me am not greedy.
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by justhenry007(m): 10:35pm On Jan 04, 2018
Yungwizzzy28:
Nice business idea. I prefer that longer chips its tastier. I have the capital but no chance at all. I'm in Lagos who's in partnership??
hi I have a small bakery cum confectionery will really wanna introduce the business using my bakery....we can do the partnership if you are really serious.
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by justhenry007(m): 10:43pm On Jan 04, 2018
justhenry007:
hi I have a small bakery cum confectionery will really wanna introduce the business using my bakery....we can do the partnership if you are really serious.
also you can reach me.08065762849.
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:46pm On Jan 04, 2018
My love for plantain chips no be small thing.

1 Like

Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by Nobodys(f): 11:08pm On Jan 04, 2018
lifenajeje:
Bloody hell....

Op u don't know shit about this business....

Your figures are not correct

13k investment in plantain chips cannot give you 80000 profit if u sell 1000 packets

How much is 25 litres of vegetable oil or full keg( that's if u know about oil)

How much gas will fry 1000 packets

How many plantain heads will u get at idi-oro mushin

Packaging cost( nylon...label sealing)

Delivery cost ( if u supply to shops)

Please go and get you figures right

Thank God someone above mentioned he or she was making 6500 daily ..the person can give us a breakdown of the expenses

Plantain business is lucrative but its only for those who are determined and ready to get greasy

u can start small or big depending on ur capital

You can even outsource the production while u involve in the packaging...

I just laughed at his figure's...80k daily.kikikikiikiki..........infact to sell a thousand plantain chips you need to hire lots of people to take them to traffic and schools ....cause most people don't buy at stores cause it's always not fresh....

It's a good business idea though buh we should also consider the cons cause they are plenty....

2 Likes

Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by nextstep(m): 11:19pm On Jan 04, 2018
Revenue is one thing... profit is another. I don't think you can start making 80k revenues from 13k investment.
People in the house with experience, what do you say?

Me sef, I've been wondering if I should get into the business, considering there's so many of it on the market today, from the packaged ones, to the ones put in plain nylon. What would be my differentiating factor? Better packaging/preservation?

First you need to get a location... let's assume you already have the land or it's your house.
Then you have to buy plantains, lots.
Then you need several fryers (1000 bags cannot be fried in one night), and several large gas tanks.
You need lots of oil, salt/pepper
You need the packages (I'm assuming you're going to buy the bags and print your logo)
You'll need labour, at least 3 for peeling and cutting, and 1 per fryer, and several baggers

Then if you were really lucky, you'll offload 1000 of these every day.
I think the money involved is more like 1.3 mil, not 13k
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by Thane(m): 11:53pm On Jan 04, 2018
[quote author=nextstep post=63903791]Revenue is one thing... profit is another. I don't think you can start making 80k revenues from 13k investment.

Me sef, I've been wondering if I should get into the business, considering there's so many of it on the market today, from the packaged ones, to the ones put in plain nylon. What would be my differentiating factor? Better packaging/preservation?

First you need to get a location... let's assume you already have the land or it's your house.
Then you need several fryers (1000 bags cannot be fried in one night), and several large gas tanks.
You need the packages (I'm assuming you're going to buy the bags and print your logo)
You'll need labour, at least 3 for peeling and cutting, and 1 per fryer, and several baggers

I think the money involved is more like 1.3 mil, not 13k[/quote

]1.3m is going too far bro, unless you want to open a mini factory or sth. Op was just talking abt low startups. And by the way, selling 1000 fresh packets everyday far o. I would anyways rather outsource the product from local fryers and package myself . minimal stress and loss

1 Like

Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by flowjoe: 12:15am On Jan 05, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Kpekere business? Well, it's cool, it's all about packaging.
Come see peeps rushing 3k Abasha here in Abj... It's all about packaging. But that 3k abasha is d bomb kiss
just d thought of abasha im salivating aiidy
where in abj is it sold?
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by edoman2016: 5:35am On Jan 05, 2018
It is difficult to sell 1000 packs of plantain chips daily.
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by lifenajeje(m): 5:37am On Jan 05, 2018
Nobodys:
I just laughed at his figure's...80k daily.kikikikiikiki..........infact to sell a thousand plantain chips you need to hire lots of people to take them to traffic and schools ....cause most people don't buy at stores cause it's always not fresh....

It's a good business idea though buh we should also consider the cons cause they are plenty....

Thank u joor....those guys who hawk in traffic even buy at discounted rates

Even though the post was 2016 his stats are not obtainable then
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by sonety2k(m): 6:10am On Jan 05, 2018
Agricblog:
General Introduction to Plantain Chips Business in Nigeria

Plantain Chips are crunchy Nigerian snacks made with either ripe or unripe plantains. Plantain Chips which is made with unripe plantains are bright yellow while those made with ripe plantains are deep yellow in colour.

It is also known as sweet banana chips it is great and healthy for all ages. You can take for Launch or Give it for your Children as a welcome Market gift for parents.

Plantain chips production is one of the easiest businesses you can start in Nigeria if you want to generate quick cash within a short space of time of starting. We deem it necessary to post this Training just to properly welcome you to this year 2016, so take this opportunity by venturing into this Business after learning what it take in starting it.

WHY THIS BUSINESS IS LUCRATIVE

The reasons why plantain chips production business is easy to set up is because plantain chips is a snacks widely eaten by all.

The startup capital requirement is low, and you don’t need to rent a shop to start and plantain is readily available in the country, especially in Lagos, South/Middle belt regions of Nigeria.

With an initial startup capital of around #13,000, you can generate an income of at least #80,000 per day when you are able to produce about 1,000 packets of plantain chips on daily basis.

You can hardly lose your money if you invest in plantain chips production, starting a plantain chips business will not be a bad ideal, it is a good source of income. You can hardly lose money if you invest in plantain chips business

READ MORE: Top 10 Agriculture Opportunities In Nigeria

MAJOR INGREDIENT IN STARTING UP PLANTAIN CHIP PRODUCTION BUSINESS IN NIGERIA

If you dream and want to venture into this business, here are the basic requirement you must have at hand.

1. Recipe for Making Plantain Chips
2.Plaintain (ripe and unripe)
3.Vegetable Oil for frying
4.Salt to taste
5.Grinded Ginger (Optional)
6.Grinded Garlic (Optional)
7.Grinded Pepper (Optional)

Basic Preparations To Follow
Below we have stated the Basic steps you must take to done this business in a proper way
Wash and peel the plantain.

• Slice the Plantain into a bowl of water. It is advisable to use a vegetable slicer to it will be equal, the water helps prevent the plantain slices from changing colour.

• Add Salt to taste and Stir
Transfer the plantain slices to a sieve to drain the water.
Add the grinded pepper, ginger and garlic if necessary
Switch on your Gas cooker or Stove
Put your vegetable oil into a frying pan make it hot
Then start frying don’t make it too brownish in colour.

• Market Strategy

You can make yours very tasty by adding some other ingredients apart form the normal chips seen on the streets, add a little ginger,galic and pepper to it, this will make your customers ask for more and it will bring a lots of turnover at the end of the month.

• Start Advertising It
You can start by telling your neighbors, collegue in the office showing a sample of your chips. Print a label on your chips with your company name it, social medias like facebook, twitter, whatsapp is also another good place to market your business.

OTTER TACTICS TO IMPLEMENT

Have Appealing Business Name
Business Name is the name you want to give your business, it is the name you want to be known, some companies like Gala, Chi Limited, Cakes and Creams e.t.c are names that are popular, unique and appealing.

The Unique Selling Proposition

We would recommend Strongly that you find out what your unique selling point are and your real strength You must allow your target customers know your unique selling proposition in selling that product to them. Let them know the value in paying for the premium of your product. Coca Cola has a taste that no other beverage has in the world, and that makes it unique and sells everyday.
With the steps above We believe this would help achieving your dreams in chips production should in case you are planning to start it. Happy New Year From AGRICINFO TEAM.
http://www.agricinfo.com/2018/01/how-to-start-plantain-chips-production.html?m=0

Thanks for the information
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by lifenajeje(m): 6:20am On Jan 05, 2018
nextstep:
Revenue is one thing... profit is another. I don't think you can start making 80k revenues from 13k investment.

I think the money involved is more like 1.3 mil, not 13k

1.3 million ke........business u can start in ur kitchen with 5000
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by lifenajeje(m): 6:21am On Jan 05, 2018
edoman2016:
It is difficult to sell 1000 packs of plantain chips daily.

Its very possible
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by Raintaker(m): 6:45am On Jan 05, 2018
so many naysayers in Nigeria.
Abeg start small first.

But if you use ripe plantain according to open that one Na dodo Na no be chips again.

1 Like

Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by Adukey(f): 7:42am On Jan 05, 2018
madridguy:
I need a girl to start this business with. tongue

Here,pls
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by edoman2016: 8:51am On Jan 05, 2018
lifenajeje:

Its very possible
Explain how you will distribute and sell 1000 plantain chips daily?
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by shumuel(m): 9:23am On Jan 05, 2018
matrixme:
How can it be integrated as a snack for beer palour drinks? What other complimentary items would go with it?

Try frying the ripe one, cut them in small round shapes but do not over fry, just fry it the normal way and add a lot of fresh pepper and ginger to it, just like you would do fried meat,, Ikire in Osun state is popular for it's ''Dodo ikire'' which sometimes taste like soft meat, they made use of over ripe plantain though.

Fresh fish would go with it.

1 Like

Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by Jibbie28(f): 10:13am On Jan 05, 2018
How do you make an unripe plantain to become sweet? or what makes those plantain they sell inside traffic sweet? because I think people love the sweet ones.
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by madridguy(m): 10:35am On Jan 05, 2018
Where do you stay and do you know how to fry?

Adukey:

Here,pls
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by lifenajeje(m): 11:36am On Jan 05, 2018
edoman2016:

Explain how you will distribute and sell 1000 plantain chips daily?

Edoman pay consultation fee.....lol

Except u want to give me free plantain from Edo state

Bulk purchase.... Quality taste, land grabbing .....and bulk discount....that's how to sell 1000 packs ....

If u need clarification on the above credit my account na wet in person know e de take chop
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by Adukey(f): 12:02pm On Jan 05, 2018
madridguy:
Where do you stay and do you know how to fry?

Lagos state,yes I do.
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jan 05, 2018
flowjoe:

just d thought of abasha im salivating aiidy
where in abj is it sold?
The place is in maitama. I have the woman's number if u wanna place your order.
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jan 05, 2018
Jibbie28:
How do you make an unripe plantain to become sweet? or what makes those plantain they sell inside traffic sweet? because I think people love the sweet ones.
You use ripe plantains.
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by nextstep(m): 12:47pm On Jan 05, 2018
lifenajeje:

1.3 million ke........business u can start in ur kitchen with 5000

And that 5k will see you selling 1000 bags of chips a day?

I know you can start with 5k, but OP wanted to say that 13k could see you making 80k/day in revenue, which is just not feasible. 1 plantain can barely fill 2 bags (the chips are dehydrated and so become small). You know how much a bunch of plantains are? How about 500 plantains per day? And the oil to fry so many? And the gas? (even firewood dey cost). Plus the cost of the nylon, the space to fry and dehydrate so many chips.

I threw out 1.3m (as a joke on 13k), but to produce that volume, you'd probably need something close.
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by lifenajeje(m): 2:18pm On Jan 05, 2018
nextstep:

I know you can start with 5k, but OP wanted to say that 13k could see you making 80k/day in revenue, which is just not feasible. 1 plantain can barely fill 2 bags (the chips are dehydrated and so become small). You know how much a bunch of plantains are? How about 500 plantains per day? And the oil to fry so many? And the gas? (even firewood dey cost). Plus the cost of the nylon, the space to fry and dehydrate so many chips.

I threw out 1.3m (as a joke on 13k), but to produce that volume, you'd probably need something close.

Common u just expressed ur view better

And my 5 k was mot meant to produce 1000 packs ...only meant someone can start with as little as 5k start supplying shops and schools around ur home....

From there the bizness picks up....aa it grows u learn the pros and cons

I gave someone 5k to start the business last year ...4 months later she came back with my 5 k which I did not collect back from her

Today she supplies shops and has added potato chips ...

Determination is what gives one the desired result not capital.
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by lifenajeje(m): 2:25pm On Jan 05, 2018
nextstep:

Come to think of it for someone who has got the bucks 1.3 mill won't be enough self

There is an equipment I saw sometime back on Nairaland that can cut , slice and Fry the plantain chips can't remember its cost but someone who is ready to purchase such equipment will also go for a packaging machine which definitely is more than 1.3 mill...

Delivery vehicle has not come in self
Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by forbisi: 2:58pm On Jan 05, 2018
Yungwizzzy28:

I am willing. I can make very exotic recipes, different from those on the streets. I can also do very unique branding/packaging. I have the space and time. My only challenge is where to get a wide reach of people to sell to. You can contact me on fraisdrinks@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: How To Start Plantain Chips Production by madridguy(m): 3:12pm On Jan 05, 2018
How much will it cost us for a start?

Adukey:

Lagos state,yes I do.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CAC Denies Registering ‘Wickedness Association of Nigeria’ As A Business (Pix) / Banks Rejecting Mutilated Naira Notes (Torn Notes) / Dangote To Bid For Chelsea Football Club, If Stan Kroenke Fails To Sell Arsenal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.