Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,377 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:16 AM

The Funny Thing About Nigerian Employers And Experience. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Funny Thing About Nigerian Employers And Experience. (460 Views)

Ways You Can Avoid Being Used By Selfish Nigerian Employers / Why Don’t Nigerian Employers Adopt Hourly Pay? / Social Media Influence On Employers And Job Seekers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Funny Thing About Nigerian Employers And Experience. by bodeskii(m): 5:28am On Jan 06, 2018
Its amazing how people are denied the opportunity to gain experience because they are not experienced undecided undecided.

My Story:A few days ago i was sitting out with some of my friends ( most still job searching), and they all had similar experiences where they lost one or two opportunities because they were "FRESH''.
Even where i work, there are some tasks to be performed and i'm about getting on it. suddenly ,my supervisor shows up and asks.. "have you done this before?". Couple of times i said no, and i ended up stepping aside for someone experienced.
I'm not saying tasks should be committed to incompetent people, but the idea of totally disregarding the capabilities of FRESH people gives them no space to improve.

The Problem: You are expected to be experienced to get opportunities which would help you gain the experience.

What You Can Do:
1. Go outside your comfort zone to gather skills your prospective employer may require. (Professional organization offering such training / certifications).
2. While on the job, always be available when such tasks requiring experienced persons are being carried out.. Look, Read, Ask and Learn.
3. If saying no will cost you the opportunity to try it out, Say yes. But always have an ally who can rescue you when you get stuck (very Important).

Just my thought, all your suggestions are welcome.
Re: The Funny Thing About Nigerian Employers And Experience. by Nobody: 5:58am On Jan 06, 2018
Noted!

(1) (Reply)

Are You Employable? What Skills Do You Have To Leverage On? Check This Out / Why It’s Very Hard To Be An Entrepreneur / Structural Engineering : Why Do We Assume Continuous Beams As Pinned Support

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.