Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review (1596 Views)

Multichoice Increases DSTV And Gotv Subscription Prices This November / Watch Dstv And IPTV Free Without Monthly Subscription / BBNaija: Miracle & Nina Sleep In Each Other’s Arm After Reconciling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by PStacks(m): 7:22am On Jan 08, 2018
First and foremost Heads-on, DStv GOtv MultiChoice are South African owned companies that are in Nigeria for Business purposes lets get that fact straight. Business should be with principles and ethics.

So a friend of mine told me there were television stations in South Africa that are within the boundaries and territory of South Africa that are Free to air in South Africa even on Cable satellite.

I wonder why Nigeria should be any different. Digitalisation doesnt mean the cable satellite provider should arm-twist the local populace, I say this because I dont understand how Nigerians have to pay a subscription fee to a South African company before viewing local Nigerian stations.

This is the bone of contention. Some channels are regarded as Extraterrestrial channels while some other are Terrestrial channels.

From their names, it implies that those extraterrestrial channels are not within our domains and hence out from our reach so it has to be brought to you via satellite and surly you should pay a fee for subscription which is a perfect case.

On the other hand, some Tv channels are our local indigenous television stations domiciled and operating withing the confines of Nigerian borders. This is where the argument is at..

How on earth are you to mandate me to pay a subscription to a South African company just to watch Nigerian terrestrial stations in Nigeria.

If there is no subscription on my DSTV or GOtv, I should be able to at least watch AIT, SILVERBIRD, GALAXY TV, MITV and at least CHANNELS TV without any form of subscription being that before digitalisation and before the switch over these stations were free to air using our local antennas.

This was the point I marveled. Lately GOtv claimed to be on a bonanza spree. Before this time, if your subscription expires you could only view NTAinternational with an expired bounquet. With their bonanza came 5 other channels GOtv has released to be free to air and I was wondering to myself, so these steps are intentional and deliberate moves at Arm-twisting and possibly short changing Nigerians by witholding these channels in the first place.

If I can not view CNN BBC and other extraterrestrial stations when my subscription is up, why on earth and in heavens name shouldnt I be able to view local terrestrial channels like AIT and co.

These are the ordeals I thought to bring to bare to have these foreign owned companies know Nigerians are no fools.

If GOtv can release 5 worthless channels as free to air then I believe they are capable of doing better by releasing more channels and making them free to air especially our own terrestrial channels.

DSTV GOTV and Nigerians have come such a long way and I dont see no reason for no baseless Arm-twisting cos these were the same thing MTN their sister South African company did to Nigerians not till MTN got competition from Airtel and Glo and sat up, today telecommunications industry is better for it even tho nigerians were fleeced.

With competition from FreeTv, and in time to come with help of other well meaning Nigerians speaking up, I believe DSTV GOTV should lower their subscription levi and allow enough free to air channels since installing their kit cost a fortune already.

How on earth do you install a GOTV antenna and decoder with way over #5000 only to watch NTAinternational without subscription? This is unjust and negates business ethics and principle.

It is sad Nigerians have to depend on a South African owned company to provide for them cable satellite services but its worse seeing this same companies Arm-twisting Nigerians.

Maybe its a case of getting what you deserve or maybe not.

The bottom line is, DSTV GOTV should be more liberal and leave local Nigerian Terrestrial stations as Free to air to Nigerians.

Concerned Nigerian.
OMA.

source ; https://www.omascope.com/showbiz/a-perfect-case-of-arm-twisting-a-dstv-and-gotv-review

1 Like

Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by EbukaHades10(m): 7:25am On Jan 08, 2018
Correct. U hit the head on the nail
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by colossus91(m): 7:31am On Jan 08, 2018
when tstv disgraced themselves what do u expect??
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by PStacks(m): 7:31am On Jan 08, 2018
EbukaHades10:
Correct. U hit the head on the nail

grin grin grin thanks bro..

you hit the head on the nail or you hit the nail on the head.. either way, you passed your message and it is well appreciated.. thanks.
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by PStacks(m): 7:33am On Jan 08, 2018
colossus91:
when tstv disgraced themselves what do u expect??

honestly I tot TSTv Was coming to give them a stiff chase. I was so so disappointed with TSTv.

pay as you watch is long over due.
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by Nobody: 9:25am On Jan 08, 2018
I don't understand the meaning of this thread, is it just because DSTV is a South African compnay? Like other Nigerian companies don't do business outside the shores of this country. Glo do business in Ghana an Benin republic, they are not treated like outcasts like some of u people try to make DSTV and GOtv look like. Before anything, ask urself if AIT, Mitv, etc are also not available on Daarsat and Startimes. Then ask urself if u can access those channels whenever u are out of subscription on those platforms. Is there any standard Nigerian pay tv that gives free channels when u don't have subscription, did Hitv offer this service when they were alive? Why not start from there, why go straigh to DSTV, are they the only one, oh yes because they are a foreign company so let's attack them.If they give u these channels for free, a lot of people will stop subscribing and will be content with watching just AIT, NTA, Mitv, Silverbird, Channels, etc.

DSTV decoder is not free to air, just like Daarsat, so don't expect free channels. If u want free to air channels get a free to air decoder and the right frequency just like TSTV is offering now. But mind u once TSTV starts operation fully and start selling their own decoders, don't expect to watch free channels when subscription is out. This is business. @op I hope u can come back and write this same thing after TSTV have decided to come out of their shells.
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by bigabbey: 10:47am On Jan 08, 2018
Get a free to air decoder and a dish and set yourself free for life. Free to air rules!
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by PStacks(m): 12:15pm On Jan 08, 2018
greenhulk:
I don't understand the meaning of this thread, is it just because DSTV is a South African compnay? Like other Nigerian companies don't do business outside the shores of this country. Glo do business in Ghana an Benin republic, they are not treated like outcasts like some of u people try to make DSTV and GOtv look like. Before anything, ask urself if AIT, Mitv, etc are also not available on Daarsat and Startimes. Then ask urself if u can access those channels whenever u are out of subscription on those platforms. Is there any standard Nigerian pay tv that gives free channels when u don't have subscription, did Hitv offer this service when they were alive? Why not start from there, why go straigh to DSTV, are they the only one, oh yes because they are a foreign company so let's attack them.If they give u these channels for free, a lot of people will stop subscribing and will be content with watching just AIT, NTA, Mitv, Silverbird, Channels, etc.

DSTV decoder is not free to air, just like Daarsat, so don't expect free channels. If u want free to air channels get a free to air decoder and the right frequency just like TSTV is offering now. But mind u once TSTV starts operation fully and start selling their own decoders, don't expect to watch free channels when subscription is out. This is business. @op I hope u can come back and write this same thing after TSTV have decided to come out of their shells.

I should be made to pay for extraterrestrial channels and I dont have a problem with that..
where the problem lays is asking me to pay a South African company to provide me services provided in Nigeria.

dont you get it. Why should I pay a NON indigenous company to show me what indigenous companys do? Where is the economic sense in that?
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by PStacks(m): 12:16pm On Jan 08, 2018
bigabbey:
Get a free to air decoder and a dish and set yourself free for life. Free to air rules!

that is the end of dicussion.
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jan 08, 2018
PStacks:

I should be made to pay for extraterrestrial channels and I dont have a problem with that..
where the problem lays is asking me to pay a South African company to provide me services provided in Nigeria.

dont you get it. Why should I pay a NON indigenous company to show me what indigenous companys do? Where is the economic sense in that?

Why don't ur Nigerian indigenous companies show u these channels for free? Or u think DSTV operate here for free? They pay a whole lot lot of tax. Why don't Dangote give out his products for free in other countries where he does business, why don't Glo dash out free credit and data in Ghana and Benin republic? Promos is one thing but stop being a cry baby acting like its ur right. This is a private business for crying out loud.

PStacks:

Answer this question. Does DSTV offer a plan that shows only Nigerian local channels and they ask u to pay for it?

If u want free channels get a free to air decoder, or get an antenna and watch all ur local channels on analogue.
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by PStacks(m): 5:31pm On Jan 08, 2018
greenhulk:

Why don't ur Nigerian indigenous companies show u these channels for free? Or u think DSTV operate here for free? They pay a whole lot lot of tax. Why don't Dangote give out his products for free in other countries where he does business, why don't Glo dash out free credit and data in Ghana and Benin republic? Promos is one thing but stop being a cry baby acting like its ur right. This is a private business for crying out loud.

Answer this question. Does DSTV offer a plan that shows only Nigerian local channels and they ask u to pay for it?

If u want free channels get a free to air decoder, or get an antenna and watch all ur local channels on analogue.

on analogue you said while the whole world has gone digital
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by Nobody: 10:38am On Jan 09, 2018
PStacks:

on analogue you said while the whole world has gone digital

So how is that DSTV's fault? When indigenous pay TV's cannot give u local stations for free, how then do u expect a foreign company that pay more tax to offer u that? This is just another case of being hostile to foreign companies, and if we leave the business to indigenous companies now they will still mess everything up. mtcheeeeew. Hitv anyone?
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by PStacks(m): 12:24am On Jan 12, 2018
greenhulk:

So how is that DSTV's fault? When indigenous pay TV's cannot give u local stations for free, how then do u expect a foreign company that pay more tax to offer u that? This is just another case of being hostile to foreign companies, and if we leave the business to indigenous companies now they will still mess everything up. mtcheeeeew. Hitv anyone?

which indigenous pay tv's are u talking?

The indegenous channels are free, its Multichoice DSTV GOtv locking it up on their decoders.
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by Nobody: 12:44am On Jan 12, 2018
PStacks:

which indigenous pay tv's are u talking?

The indegenous channels are free, its Multichoice DSTV GOtv locking it up on their decoders.

Simple question, can u watch AIT, Silverbird, etc on startimes and daar sat without a valid subscription? Why do u keep dodging this question? DStv access costs just N1,900 and u have access to all the indigenous channels plus Disney junior, trace naija, Africa magic Yoruba, igbo hausa and family, supersports blitz, supersports 10, 4 some documentary channels, telemudo, etc. About 90 channels.
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by PStacks(m): 12:48am On Jan 12, 2018
greenhulk:

Simple question, can u watch AIT, Silverbird, etc on startimes and daar sat without a valid subscription? Why do u keep dodging this question?

Just because its a tradition doesnt make it right... "Barrack Obama"....

that is why I wont use my money to buy daar sat.
I dont have startimes or daar sat. Its what I have and know I talk about.
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by Nobody: 12:53am On Jan 12, 2018
PStacks:

Just because its a tradition doesnt make it right... "Barrack Obama"....

that is why I wont use my money to buy daar sat.
I dont have startimes or daar sat. Its what I have and know I talk about.

So why do u think it is ur right for DStv to offer u free channels when others don't offer the same thing? DStv access costs just N1,900 and u have access to all the indigenous channels plus Disney junior, trace naija, Africa magic Yoruba, igbo hausa and family, supersports blitz, supersports 10, 4 some documentary channels, telemudo, etc. About 90 channels.

Oh and I've been enjoying supersports 3 and 7 on access for almost 2 months now. I basically watch my favorite club at home for 1,900.
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by PStacks(m): 1:48am On Jan 12, 2018
greenhulk:

So why do u think it is ur right for DStv to offer u free channels when others don't offer the same thing? DStv access costs just N1,900 and u have access to all the indigenous channels plus Disney junior, trace naija, Africa magic Yoruba, igbo hausa and family, supersports blitz, supersports 10, 4 some documentary channels, telemudo, etc. About 90 channels.

Oh and I've been enjoying supersports 3 and 7 on access for almost 2 months now. I basically watch my favorite club at home for 1,900.

see how you call 1,900 so carelessly as if its not a lot of money.
remove 1,900 from disposable income from an average nigerian on miscellinous expenses not associated with accomodation, feeding and transportation and tell me whats left.

or better still pls just do a 1,900 subscription for me mr big man.
Re: A Perfect Case Of Arm-twisting. A Dstv And Gotv Review by Nobody: 2:43am On Jan 12, 2018
PStacks:

see how you call 1,900 so carelessly as if its not a lot of money.
remove 1,900 from disposable income from an average nigerian on miscellinous expenses not associated with accomodation, feeding and transportation and tell me whats left.

or better still pls just do a 1,900 subscription for me mr big man.

Mr Man, pay tv is not a basic amenity. Even the basic amenities our government don't offer is for free. Some we pay yet we still don't get what we pay for. So why would a private company offer u their services for free? Gotv have packages for N1,250

(1) (Reply)

I Just Saw Wrath Of Man (2021) (download Link Available) / Selina Tested Episode 17 Is Out (sufferings And Lessons) Watch / Need Someone To Link Me Up With Tade Ogidan Or Charles Novia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.