Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,783 members, 7,955,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:54 PM

How Nigerian Parents And Teachers Are Killing Children's Destinies - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Nigerian Parents And Teachers Are Killing Children's Destinies (498 Views)

SEUN, Your Moderators Are Killing This Forum (my Experience) / OMG! They Are Killing It / Villagers Catch Huge Python In Awka, Anambra, Cut Its Stomach Open After Killing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Nigerian Parents And Teachers Are Killing Children's Destinies by nonfab22: 1:41pm On Jan 09, 2018
The dream of every parent is to see their children rise unto stardom and relevance. As such they avail the child with every love, care and education they can afford to be relevant in the future.

Education— This is my bone of contention.

Nigeria’s educational system is arguably one of the worst ever. I’m opinionated to make this claim irrespective of statistics that proves otherwise.

I’m not making comparison with war torn Sudan and Somali. Rather, I’m comparing the oil rich Nigeria with her counterparts with equivalent stability and resources.

It is obvious that we’ve not lived up to our educational expectations. Under the subsequent subheadings, I’ll be pointing out how parents have unknowingly teamed up with teachers and school managements to make the life of their children miserable.

Primary School
I can vividly picture my primary education days. Those days, I trekked long distances of about 30 minutes with a heavy back pack to and from school each day. I leave home as early as 7:10am because school resumes by 7:45am and closes by 2pm, but we were mandated to remain in school for evening lessons till 4pm.

On getting home, the time would have tilted towards 4:40pm. That entirely accounts for more than 9 hours of my productive day. I get home tired and worn out. I often hurriedly take a bath before diving on the meal prepared for me.

There was never time to watch enough TV because I have tons of home works to do on my “Ugo C. Ugo” gigantic workbooks. If you never came across those Encyclopedia-sized workbooks, you may never comprehend my plight.

I won’t be exaggerating by saying that the next one and half hour will be used to tidy those home works. Funny enough, I’m also expected to read all my notes before I go to bed.

Failure to do that will warrant my inability to answer the teacher’s questions in class the next day. It’s also to my parents’ accolades that I’m “very studious”.

It’s always surprising how I managed not to sleep till 10pm. Nap was never really possible. Playing with friends was also often impossible, unless I intended to do my homework late into the night.

This is identically the plight of the average Nigeria kid in my time even in this very dispensation. Funny enough, parents are always happy to see their children go through this heartbreaking crusade all in the name of education.

Kids basically have no time for themselves, no time to explore the potentials in them and basically no time to develop a talent or skill.

Secondary School Bondage
The entire anomaly always gets worse in Secondary school. Getting admitted into a private secondary school was quite wonderful for me. I was determined to meet up with all the schedules and activities lined up for me in school. School resumes by 7:45am also but closes by 5pm. I was offering 15 subjects in all including the boring and mind paralyzing ones for that matter.

Follow the link to read more.
http://notemast.com/how-nigerian-parents-and-teachers-have-jointly-destroyed-the-future-of-many-children/

(1) (Reply)

Is Your Partner Extremely Jealous? Here's Why / See How You Can Make N60,000 Every Two Week / Presidency Reacts To Rumoured Death Of Yusuf Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.