Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? (38982 Views)

How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? / How To Start Poultry Farming In Nigeria Small And Grow Very Lucrative / I Need Hints On How To Start Poultry Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by osaretin20: 7:34pm On Apr 09, 2010
pls advice
Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by erniewhez(m): 8:21pm On Apr 09, 2010
Well for me i think the layers are better, reason being that the mortality rate is lower cos they are matured, what make them layers is the food u feed them with i.e. layers mesh. But the broilers are more sensitive to both environment, temprature and waters where there is a lapse. secondly the layers can be sold out when they are no longer productive in laying eggs. but the broilers are sold once they are matured. U wont also need much space for the layers cos they are kept in cages whearas the broilers needs large rooms depending on the numbers u are keeping. Layers are also more delicious when cooked with stronger bones than the broilers. The layers eggs are better business cos its not seasonal, u have patronage all through the year, whearas broilers are slightly seasonal. The dangers you face with layers depends on your environment, i.e. if ure located at reptiles prone area, u may have to take xtra precautions cos snakes are always after the eggs and likely danger to you and the workers.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by aAK1(m): 12:14am On Apr 10, 2010
i think you make more money from your layers on the long run.i plan to start mine soon am still waiting for capital.
Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by osaretin20: 7:32am On Apr 10, 2010
i have 1m do u think it will be enough to get n feed 1000 layer to maturity? the structure is already there.
Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by aAK1(m): 9:22am On Apr 12, 2010
is the 1m just for feed?
Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by erniewhez(m): 11:32am On Apr 12, 2010
@Osaretin, u dont run business on assumption. You have 1m, Why not meet the professionals and get estimated cost of feeding each bird to maturity, the feeds sellers can help you with that, cost of each chick x 1000, estimated cost of maintaining the environment and medical treatments, especially the usual water treatment and fumigation. You need to do researches and projections other wise youll get stucked. Best of luck.
Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by osaretin20: 5:05pm On Apr 13, 2010
thank you very much
Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by david2nice: 4:49am On Apr 14, 2010
To be honest with you as a starter i advice you start with broiler. The risk and all the technicalities involved in rearing a layer is much higher than that of broiler.I have reared both broiler and layer before when i was still in secondary school then. I can confidently tell you that it was much easier for me sustaining and monitoring the broiler then even though i was not a professional in this business, and i earned unbelievable profits with my 110 broilers. For selling your broilers there is always a market for it if your chicks are ready. For more advice you can reach me on this line 08082363464

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by orhue: 7:20am On Jan 25, 2012
Both are good. However, you must use quality feeds, Feeds that are well formulated by experienced Nutritionist. We have a poultry farm in Benin and we use Jakana Agfeed products for our chicken. We have seen excellent results since we started using this feed since last year. It is way better than all the other feeds in the market. Visit them at jakanaagfeeds.com. You will be glad you did!
Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by ayodele123(m): 6:28am On Jan 26, 2012
Get the details from www.johnayodele.
The fastest way to recoup your investment in poultry is broiler chicken farming.
Layer chicken will give you more money in the long run but is more stressing

1 Like

Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by 4ward(m): 4:11pm On Mar 16, 2012
Its often said One Man's Dream is another Man History.I mean 2 say u are just dreaming of starting while some people had started 20years Ago and still in the biz making profit.if u are actually serious then consult professionals around you or if u are around Sango-Ota u can call me 07038641600.
Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by nenux: 7:41pm On Dec 14, 2012
Hello house! I am a poultry farmer with both birds and can tell you from my experience. When it comes to comparing between the two birds (i.e Layers and Broilers), I'l advice any 1 who needs to know that Layer is d best and always d best only that a little patience would b needed from brooding to the point of lay which is about 5 months. Broilers are done seasonally but sometimes the stress involved in raising them is not worth it. Let me explain, when U bring in layers, U have to treat them like ur pets, properly vaccinate them 'cos they'l stay long time with U. Their mortality rate is very low when compared to broilers. Increase in temprature can kill a very healthy broiler and all ur suffering would just go in2 thin air. When keeping broilers, U always need 2 b around the poultry to supply their water and feed at adlib. And in addition, if not properlly sanitized, broiler generates a bad smell in the poultry house and the surroundings.
Just dont compare, if u must do broilers, make it seasonal.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by boayinka: 7:37pm On Dec 15, 2012
Poultry farming in Nigeria has become one of the most important aspect of farming for many reasons. It create great business opportunity for Entrepreneurs, and provides employment for the job seeking citizens.

The Chicken and it's products are very rich source of protein of which we all agreed to that -- you and I need the proteins derived from chicken to maintain healthy living.

It is generally believed that every child needs not less than an egg a day for their normal growth. While every adult needs like ten in a week; Poultry also provides meat for delicacies -- no tribe or religion in Nigeria that forbids chicken meat. Everyone likes it, that's why poultry products sells very fast and in high demand.

The Benefits of Poultry Farming in Nigeria are so numerous that this page may not contain it all. Apart from the chicken being used as food, Poultry Farming is equally profitable. A good poultry farmer earns above N20 million per annum depending on how big the farm is. All these benefits are open to you if you start your own poultry farm today!

There are basically three different breeds of bird for poultry business. We have the Broilers, Cockerels, and Layers. The Broilers grows very faster and are ready for sale at 12 weeks from hatch. Cockerels grows slower and can take up to twenty four weeks before they are matured for marketing.

But, Cockerels are reliable in terms of survival and withstanding bad weathers. They are more resilient, and can absorb shocks far better than Layers and Broilers.
Poultry Farming is a bit capital intensive -- it's all like trading money to make more money. You need to prepare for this especially if you wants to start on a higher scale. But be assured of making back whatever amount of money you invested in the business in multiple fold within a short period of time. Before you venture into poultry farming business in Nigeria, you need to seat back and do proper calculation and planning; make sure you have idea of all the costs involved.

1 Share

Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by docchuks(m): 6:12pm On Oct 02, 2015
Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by ultrazone(m): 11:13am On Mar 06, 2016
mmm
Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by olajide4309(m): 4:03pm On Sep 05, 2016
the difference between broiler and layers
BROILER
it a an easy fowl to make money with low feeds and capital
if you feed them very well you should start selling them within 3 month
you are eligible to make more money during Christmas
4pack there waste and sell it to farmers
5.AND SO ON
DISADVANTAGE
before buying broiler make sure they are they give them injection before sending it to you I have forgotten the name of the injection well since its my mothers business1.a lot of mortality if you are not given direction or instruction on how to go about it by the person that provide you the chicks.
2.they do experience some sickness in there mids I think cocci or some kind of infection
there sickness easily spread

Layers
there are many ways to make money from layers by
selling there eggs
by reproduction or hatching there eggs and sell the Chick's advantage
it has already been brood by other people I.e it has pass through all necessary stuff thereby there is reduce in reduce or no mortality.
makes you richer than you imagine
it has little disadvantages to know more or order for chicks be it obasanjo RTO foresight Ajanla etc call her number 08060158578
or my no 09091217028

1 Like

Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by Mmkgroup5(f): 6:30pm On Mar 31, 2018
Bro don't look it that way layer require alot of food no gain in it
erniewhez:
Well for me i think the layers are better, reason being that the mortality rate is lower cos they are matured, what make them layers is the food u feed them with i.e. layers mesh. But the broilers are more sensitive to both environment, temprature and waters where there is a lapse. secondly the layers can be sold out when they are no longer productive in laying eggs. but the broilers are sold once they are matured. U wont also need much space for the layers cos they are kept in cages whearas the broilers needs large rooms depending on the numbers u are keeping. Layers are also more delicious when cooked with stronger bones than the broilers. The layers eggs are better business cos its not seasonal, u have patronage all through the year, whearas broilers are slightly seasonal. The dangers you face with layers depends on your environment, i.e. if ure located at reptiles prone area, u may have to take xtra precautions cos snakes are always after the eggs and likely danger to you and the workers.
Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by Mmkgroup5(f): 6:34pm On Mar 31, 2018
Never
osaretin20:
i have 1m do u think it will be enough to get n feed 1000 layer to maturity? the structure is already there.
Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by Mmkgroup5(f): 6:43pm On Mar 31, 2018
I'm not a farmer about about to start I made alot of calculation and I realized boiler farming is better that layers. Is good to begin layers with a very huge amoout like obasanjo farm so you can get your money. Big layers Poultry get feeds from source for lower rate or manufacture the feeds
david2nice:
To be honest with you as a starter i advice you start with broiler. The risk and all the technicalities involved in rearing a layer is much higher than that of broiler.I have reared both broiler and layer before when i was still in secondary school then. I can confidently tell you that it was much easier for me sustaining and monitoring the broiler then even though i was not a professional in this business, and i earned unbelievable profits with my 110 broilers. For selling your broilers there is always a market for it if your chicks are ready. For more advice you can reach me on this line 08082363464
Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by Mmkgroup5(f): 6:50pm On Mar 31, 2018
Bro learn more u need alot to learn you totally wrong my mom was a farmer boiler is good especially for average farmers u need invest more in layers unless u are just wasting ur energy. Layers start giving u money in few years that is if you are strong enough to carry on.
nenux:
Hello house! I am a poultry farmer with both birds and can tell you from my experience. When it comes to comparing between the two birds (i.e Layers and Broilers), I'l advice any 1 who needs to know that Layer is d best and always d best only that a little patience would b needed from brooding to the point of lay which is about 5 months. Broilers are done seasonally but sometimes the stress involved in raising them is not worth it. Let me explain, when U bring in layers, U have to treat them like ur pets, properly vaccinate them 'cos they'l stay long time with U. Their mortality rate is very low when compared to broilers. Increase in temprature can kill a very healthy broiler and all ur suffering would just go in2 thin air. When keeping broilers, U always need 2 b around the poultry to supply their water and feed at adlib. And in addition, if not properlly sanitized, broiler generates a bad smell in the poultry house and the surroundings.
Just dont compare, if u must do broilers, make it seasonal.
Re: I Want To Start Poultry Business Broiler Or Layer Which Is The Best? by konews: 11:06pm On Sep 24, 2020

(1) (Reply)

Do It Yourself - Yam Business Version / I Lost N4M On First City Monument Bank Mobile Banking / Nigerians Stop Wailing Ghana Did Nothing Wrong Shutting Down Shops.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.