Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,471 members, 7,836,860 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

Western Vs. Eastern Culture Regarding Ethnic Diversity - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Western Vs. Eastern Culture Regarding Ethnic Diversity (460 Views)

Christmas In Nigerian Languages: Cultural Diversity / Torley Nigeria Launches #torleypidginchallenge To Celebrate Nigeria’s Diversity / Meet Wodaabe Men, A Fulani Ethnic Group Who Make-up For Easy Marriage, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Western Vs. Eastern Culture Regarding Ethnic Diversity by enlightenment(m): 7:32pm On Jan 10, 2018
Greetings from the USA!

I don’t know much about Nigerian/African culture and social customs, so please excuse me if anything I say comes across as insulting or if I sound condescending, because I don’t mean for it to. The big problem with the west is that ethnic minorities, especially people of African or Middle Eastern descent, are virtually worshiped by many people Europe and America. Any movie or TV show that has a cast made up mainly of minorities is hailed as “diverse” despite being, as previously mentioned, almost homogeneously black.

The reason I bring this up is that I’m curious about how “diversity” is treated and thought about in Nigeria, or more broadly outside the west. From what I’ve been able to peace together, there doesn’t seem to be the same obsession with it as there is in the western world, but like I said I’m pretty new to all of this. I’m also curious to what extent western social media is used (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc).

(1) (Reply)

#legendary Dantala / The Bastardization Of Igbo Language Must Stop / African Americans Before Columbus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 5
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.