Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,719 members, 7,816,964 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw (14621 Views)

This African Tribe Has Giant Scrotum And They Sit On It Like A Pillow / How Carnival, Efik Calabar Culture Was Transported To Caribbean / EFIK / IBIBIO NAMES - NEEDED (HELP) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by fero007: 6:03pm On Sep 02, 2018
Probz:

It’s only on this Nairaland that I’ve heard that claim.
here in the west, they believe it strongly

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by Probz(m): 9:06pm On Sep 02, 2018
fero007:

here in the west, they believe it strongly

Yoruba people whose egusi can’t even pass Hausa’s own.

People from either of the main sides need to allow their attitude of superioriry and learn that common soups and words are share between Igbo and Yoruba because we share the same Igbotic root.

And either way Igbos do better justice to egusi soup than westerners ever can. Tell your Eko and Ibadan squad to stick to gbegiri and ewedu. Your egusi’s so rank I wouldn’t even let a dog eat it. You people are absolutely useless when it comes to real ofes. Have your party jollof rice and your efo riro stew but your egusi is jokes. That’s a fact.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by masseratti: 11:13pm On Sep 06, 2018
Wow, the Yoruba guys really took people trying to mock them to the cleaners on this thread, well lesson learned don't talk about others if you don't know much about them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by Probz(m): 6:44am On Sep 07, 2018
masseratti:
Wow, the Yoruba guys really took people trying to mock them to the cleaners on this thread, well lesson learned don't talk about others if you don't know much about them.

People from either side need to accept that we share foods in common’s the bottom line I’m trying to get across at least. I like a lot of Yoruba food putting aside the stereotypes. It’s never that deep.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by fero007: 7:58pm On Oct 05, 2018
Probz:

People from either side need to accept that we share foods in common’s the bottom line I’m trying to get across at least. I like a lot of Yoruba food putting aside the stereotypes. It’s never that deep.

yoruba ve gud food too as all d tribes, i just felt those 3 are d best
Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by viscerion: 12:50pm On Oct 12, 2018
fero007:

yoruba ve gud food too as all d tribes, i just felt those 3 are d best

yoruba are not that bad though, just that compared to SS n SE, well......... (hazard is good but hes not up to messi) u know i mean lol
Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by Moneywomen17(m): 2:57am On Oct 20, 2018
viscerion:

yoruba are not that bad though, just that compared to SS n SE, well......... (hazard is good but hes not up to messi) u know i mean lol
when u know what this is and u have tasted it and when u know all the variety of Yoruba vegetable soup like efo elewuro In the last pic then u can comment on yoruba soup till then focus on what u know and leave Yoruba out of it. Yoruba soup are a lot more than just the gbegiri and ewedu that u know.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by viscerion: 3:13pm On Oct 21, 2018
more than 15 yrs in yorubaland, n ive never heard of all these, i'll love to try them, but imagine they are rear even in SW not to talk of outside, or maybe im d one who doesnt know where to find them

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by Favor99(m): 11:21am On Oct 23, 2018
Moneywomen17:
when u know what this is and u have tasted it and when u know all the variety of Yoruba vegetable soup like efo elewuro In the last pic then u can comment on yoruba soup till then focus on what u know and leave Yoruba out of it. Yoruba soup are a lot more than just the gbegiri and ewedu that u know.
Much love and respect for the Yoruba people
One love smiley smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by Moneywomen17(m): 7:11am On Oct 26, 2018
Favor99:

Much love and respect for the Yoruba people
One love smiley smiley
cheers man

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by Moneywomen17(m): 7:17am On Oct 26, 2018
viscerion:
more than 15 yrs in yorubaland, n ive never heard of all these, i'll love to try them, but imagine they are rear even in SW not to talk of outside, or maybe im d one who doesnt know where to find them
where have u lived in the Sw? Have u lived in ondo, ekiti or even Ogun state. Cuz average ondo and ekiti person know all the soup I listed up there maybe some Ogun people may not know some and it’s actually common along with a lot of vegetables soup eaten in the place I mention. Now if u are talking about oyo or Lagos where there delicacy is Amala and ewedu that makes sense cuz I know a Lagos Yoruba babe who doesn’t know what ewuro soup is despite the fact that a 15 year old ekiti girl can cook it perfect. In ekiti and ondo and amala is not the delicacy pounded yam is with variety of soup I rest my case

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by Favor99(m): 7:18am On Oct 26, 2018
Moneywomen17:
cheers man
Thanks bro smiley
Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by Evangkatsoulis: 1:19pm On Oct 26, 2018
Afang soup hands down.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by Probz(m): 1:09am On Oct 27, 2018
Moneywomen17:
where have u lived in the Sw? Have u lived in ondo, ekiti or even Ogun state. Cuz average ondo and ekiti person know all the soup I listed up there maybe some Ogun people may not know some and it’s actually common along with a lot of vegetables soup eaten in the place I mention. Now if u are talking about oyo or Lagos where there delicacy is Amala and ewedu that makes sense cuz I know a Lagos Yoruba babe who doesn’t know what ewuro soup is despite the fact that a 15 year old ekiti girl can cook it perfect. In ekiti and ondo and amala is not the delicacy pounded yam is with variety of soup I rest my case

Ekiti and Ondo people are a different breed.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by fero007: 12:27pm On May 22, 2019
Moneywomen17:

Money women we did not see your thread about uncommon yoruba foods again o grin
Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by fero007: 12:50pm On May 22, 2019
Well we all of the popular dishes but leme post bout the unpopular but still mouthwatering foods of some tribes I know

Urhobo/Isoko
Popular- Banga, ogwo, starch e. t. c
Uncommon- ukodo, iriboto, kwoka, melon pepesoup

Ijaw
Popular- Fisherman soup, Native soup
Uncommon-polofiyai,kekefiyai, onunu, melon pepesoup

Igbo
Popular- Oha, Nsala, Abacha, Onugbo, Akwu(banga), Okpa, Nkwobi e. t. c
Uncommon- Okazi, ofe owerri

Itsekiri
Popular-same as urhobo n ijaw
Uncommon-melon peppersoup, gun bobo

Efik/ibibio
Popular- edikaikong, afang, ekpan nkukwo
Uncommon- afia efere, atama

Edo
Popular- Ogbono, Groundnut soup
Uncommon- black soup, ogwo

Yoruba
Popular- Ewedu, elegusi, ofada rice
Uncommon- elewuro, pupuru n alot more apparently

Hausa
Popular- suya, fura da nono, tuwo,
Uncommon- don't know but I guess alot

feel free to add more or correct

Tiv, idoma, ogoni, nupe, gwari, ghanian, indian grin also add urs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by grandstar(m): 7:38am On May 23, 2019
viscerion:

Ah, yorubas and water water soup(stew) and that locust beans, iru, dat the small can drive winch away

I love iru. I love it to pieces.
Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by grandstar(m): 7:45am On May 23, 2019
scholes0:

You dey mind am?

He is simply repeating the same silly stereotypes people circulate around.

If I start to mention the names of traditional soups, vegetables and stews in Yoruba, I wonder how many he will be able to recognize. He keeps posting pictures of Ewedu and Gbegiri like it is the only Yoruba soup in the world. That Ayamashe you just mentioned, he knows nothing about it, lol.

Don't even start me on Yoruba appetizers and snacks from Asun to Gizdodo to dundun to Ipekere to Ojojo. Igbo appetizers are forest grubs and millepedes.... If you know the kind of things these people eat in their villages, you will take to your heels and NEVER look back.

In my hometown Ondo alone, we have obe ilasepo. obe luku, legede and there's a 4th one.

These guys are irritants when they condemn food. It's really God they are tearing down and not men

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by grandstar(m): 7:52am On May 23, 2019
Probz:

Yoruba people have the best stews for rice hands down. Including olori ofada. I’m talking purely about soups. At least follow the thread.

My point is Yorubas have some quite tasty foods on the whole but they’re not known for nutritious soups save they’re from Ondo state. Mention gizdodo, asun, olori ofada, red ayamase and ikokore all you want. That’s got nothing to do with what I’m saying about soups for swallow a few states excepted.

I prefer Yoruba soup any day for rice. I find others bland and funny tasting as they prefer to use tomato puree rather than the natural stuff

I however I'm not a fan of ewedu but love gbegiri to pieces

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by fero007: 5:51pm On May 23, 2019
abeg where can find dah ilasepo in owo or akure
Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by PaulH07: 12:10pm On Jun 06, 2020
Probz:

Ekiti and Ondo people are a different breed.

You might want to claim them for yourself too and say they're Igbo people.

The same way your Ojukwu wanted to but met his Waterloo at Ore.

You people are like Iron Borns, you do not sow, you only take what belong to others. That's why you'll continue to be the most hated tribe, not only in Nigeria, but in the world at large...

Yeye people

2 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by Probz(m): 1:12pm On Jun 06, 2020
PaulH07:

You might want to claim them for yourself too and say they're Igbo people.

The same way your Ojukwu wanted to but met his Waterloo at Ore.

You people are like Iron Borns, you do not sow, you only take what belong to others. That's why you'll continue to be the most hated tribe, not only in Nigeria, but in the world at large...

Yeye people

Ondo and Ekiti people are different though.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by Blackking98(m): 5:48pm On Jun 07, 2020
Efik/ibibio

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by AlphaCEO: 12:29pm On May 04, 2022
Moneywomen17:
e pain u well keep crying there. It’s common knowledge to who. Am a Yoruba man I want to eat this soup efo riro, ila alasepo, ewedu, gbegiri, obe shapa and efo with egusi. If I wan chop rice no stew beat the Yoruba stew for rice especially the ayamese stew for ofada rice. Am not one to argue about Ordinary soup hell I would not be here if u did not make attempt to diss my people soup but here i am. If ur soup is sweet to u gud it probably should be but if the “obvious truth” according to u is ur ibo soup is better u are living in winter wonderland

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by AlphaCEO: 12:43pm On May 04, 2022
Moneywomen17:
ignoring things can be gud some times but there is a lot of times u have to reply people so they don’t think the things they say are fact cuz if I did not reply that guy insulting my people food he would get away with it and soon others like him will rise up and keep saying the same thing and with times it will become truth. Tell me where did the stereotype of Yoruba doesn’t have soup come from if it’s not because Yoruba ignores. When next people create about themselves leave Yoruba out of it if u don’t want yoruba to reply.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by XAUBulls: 7:31pm On Dec 13, 2023
9jakool:

Nicely put! Ondo is famous for the marugbo soup, which isn't commonly eaten elsewhere. I like okro, especially when diced. If you like okro, then you might enjoy obe onla, the sister to okro soup. I don't know if you've had it before.

Some vegetables like ugwu and uziza are commonly used in cooking in the West. Ugwu with egusi is the best combo for me.

Actually, I'm not arguing with you. We don't always have to argue. This thread is about food, so let's dialogue.

The ewedu and gbegiri thing is really an optional thing among Yoruba people. I, like many others think it's a very putrid combo, others don't seem to mind it. While I like ewedu and gbegiri seperately, I don't like it combined.

Honestly, efo riro is quite universal, the Ekitis are just known for their efo riro and pounded yam combo. Efo riro is not just one dish. The most common type is efo tete and efo shoko, but there are others like efo amunutu, efo yanrin, efo patako, efo ewuro (bitterleaf), and efo efirin. Efo efirin is very aromatic and it's juice or leaves can be used in a type of regional pepper soup in the west.

I haven't seen okro and isapa combo, but interestingly enough, despite the differences, they both belong to the mallow family.
Very insightful. Yoruba folks indeed have a lot of nutricious soups from what you've listed here. 7 types of efo riro soups alone! And there are others soups as well. It's unkind that some simpletons and ethnic bigots taunt Yorubas as lacking soups, when in reality this is FALSE.

This could also be replicated in the NL food section by posting a long list of all the available Yoruba soups, then getting the Mods to push it to the NL frontpage for educational purposes.

A nice counterattack... Nice thread.
Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by XAUBulls: 8:12pm On Dec 13, 2023
9jakool:

What soups have you tested from Ondo? Have you tried Isapa? It's most notably common in EKiti.
Isapa.
Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by XAUBulls: 8:20pm On Dec 13, 2023
scholes0:

Ekpankukwo is simply seafood added to a vegetable stew wrapping grated cocoyam(mostly periwinkles) it is sweet no doubt, so yeah I have eaten it, I have eaten Owo, groundnut soup and the rest. They are just OKAY not too good. but then maybe that is just me, because I have a bias for soups made from leafy vegetables.
Besides I haven't mentioned any soups from Ondo state here like Marugbo, so I wonder where you are getting the assertion in your last statement from, lol SS people overestimate the presence of Ijaws in Ondo state. Do you know that ijaws only have slightly more than half of one local government in Ondo state? and that LG isn't exactly one of most populated ones. Ese Odo is mixed Ijaw apoi, Ijaw Arogbo and Yoruba. You can live in Akure, Ondo state for 10 years and not see an Ijaw person so I wonder how they would manage to influence what the people there eat with their inuscule presence.
Interesting insights.
Marugbo soup on Ondo State.
Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by XAUBulls: 8:25pm On Dec 13, 2023
scholes0:

Which truth?

Visit authentic Yoruba villages in my state and let them cook good food for you.

What most igbos don't realize that the so called signature meals in bukas or parties are just quick fixes made either for their simplicity, economic feasibility, maneuverability or ability to keep/last.

Its like eating ramen or noodle in Beijing as an expatriate there and you start complaing that Chinese cuisine is shit because that is what your scope of their food is LIMITED to. You can find good food all over Nigeria.... Even people who complain they hausas have got "no food" will still rob a bank just to buy kilishi or Suya.
Impressive.
Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by XAUBulls: 8:27pm On Dec 13, 2023
Moneywomen17:
e pain u well keep crying there. It’s common knowledge to who. Am a Yoruba man I want to eat this soup efo riro, ila alasepo, ewedu, gbegiri, obe shapa and efo with egusi. If I wan chop rice no stew beat the Yoruba stew for rice especially the ayamese stew for ofada rice. Am not one to argue about Ordinary soup hell I would not be here if u did not make attempt to diss my people soup but here i am. If ur soup is sweet to u gud it probably should be but if the “obvious truth” according to u is ur ibo soup is better u are living in winter wonderland
efo riro, ila alasepo, ewedu, gbegiri, obe shapa and efo with egusi.
Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by XAUBulls: 8:29pm On Dec 13, 2023
Moneywomen17:
them never chop authentic Yoruba village food with correct ingredients dem go dey talk ask them what Yoruba soup they know na only ewedu and gbegiri I bet they don’t even know enfinrin stew ok but they appoint themselves expert on Yoruba despite having little knowledge about what they are saying
Re: Which Tribe Has Best Soup ; igbo Vs efik/ibibio Vs urhobo/ijaw by XAUBulls: 8:54pm On Dec 13, 2023
scholes0:

lol, let anybody keep decieving his/herself that THIS right here is not some good ish.

Awon onirase. grin

I am going to make an entire thread of Yoruba cuisine from the hinterlands cutting across every state and region in our domain very soon.
@Scholes0,
Thanks for your insights on this thread of 2018 on Yoruba cuisines.

Did you eventually get to create an entire thread of Yoruba cuisine (Soups and more) from the hinterlands like you said? I found this thread again after many years and I'm really impressed about the education on all Yoruba soups here and how you took those creeps and ethnic bigots on Page1 and others to the cleaners for always taunting gbegiri and ewedu soups (even as of 2023), when infact Yorubas have close to 20 soups or even more based on what what you guys posted here.

I will suggest you post the fully pictorial Yoruba cuisine/ Yoruba soups thread in the NL food section, then get or quote the 3 SuperMods especially @Dom.... because she's a Yoruba and she'll definitely assist in putting it on the home page and it will go viral online as well.

All the best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Gad & Eri Lie And The Igbo / Why Do White Americans Like Telling Black Americans To Go Back To Africa? / 2018 Eri Festival (olili Obibia Eri) In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.