Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg (9878 Views)

Banks Lead Nigerian Stocks to World’s Second-Best Gains in 2024 / Nigerian Stocks Hit Highest Level Ever / Nigeria’s Inflation Rate Drops To 18.12% In April 2021 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg by aloeman15(m): 10:11am On Jan 15, 2018
nex:
Just as it crashed from its artificial hyped up price in 2008, it is about to do so again. The 10-year cycle is about to be a constant.
guy, y na?
must u b dat kyn profet?
well Sha, na Tru u tok.
God help us...
Re: With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg by Abagworo(m): 10:14am On Jan 15, 2018
More reason for the wailers to commit suicide. Buhari forever.
Re: With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg by 400billionman: 10:16am On Jan 15, 2018
pepethemaniac:

lol, this guy thinks Stock Market is a representation of a Countries economic performance. Hahahahahahaha

You are just like Trump. He goes about bragging about the Stock market which is controlled by the super rich that inflate price and deflate it whenever they want. lmfao

Not whenever they want.

The stock market can be likened to Symptoms of sickness and Health to an economy.

The Nigerian economy will be sound this year.
Re: With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg by peacebe1815: 10:27am On Jan 15, 2018
Good to hear this. The problem with majority on this platform is that, they don't want to hear positive news concerning Nigeria or this government. Let's change our perception, not always criticism even when you ought to commend. We should try to analyze issues critically before criticise or commend. Remember, you can't expect good thing to have happen when you always expect bad news: as you thinketh in your heart so you are.
Re: With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg by deebrownneymar: 10:32am On Jan 15, 2018
seunmsg:
Great. Unfortunately, nobody is talking about the huge success that we are recording in the stock market. Investors confidence in the economy is at an all time high and that is what is translating to our stock market becoming the best performing market in the world. Govt should fix the criminality of the herdsmen that is taking the shine out of the success that our economy is recording.

I believe it's due to the increase in oil prices. I don't think anyone, especially Buhari, should take the credit.
Re: With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg by LionDeLeo: 10:33am On Jan 15, 2018
deebrownneymar:

I believe it's due to the increase in oil prices. I don't think anyone, especially Buhari, should take the credit.

But recession due to fall in oil prices is Buhari’s fault.

Tell me about poppyco.ck.
Re: With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg by seunmsg(m): 10:40am On Jan 15, 2018
deebrownneymar:

When things go wrong, blame Buhari. When they are good, Buhari should not take the credit. This is not how to criticize the government. Knock them when they deserve knocks and give them credit when they deserve it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg by pepethemaniac: 10:55am On Jan 15, 2018
400billionman:

Not whenever they want.

The stock market can be likened to Symptoms of sickness and Health to an economy.

The Nigerian economy will be sound this year.

Amen. I really do want that.
Re: With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jan 15, 2018
odiks:
The main equity index in Africa’s biggest economy has surged 12 per cent this year in dollar terms, the most among 96 major bourses tracked by Bloomberg, pushing it to the highest level since 2008. Dangote Cement Plc, controlled by Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, and the largest company on the bourse, has climbed to a record high.

The advance will probably be sustained thanks to rising prices for oil, Nigeria’s main export, and as investors look to increase their holdings of what remain among the cheapest stocks in Africa, according to the asset management arm of South African lender FirstRand Ltd.

“For investors wanting more exposure to consumers in Africa and Nigeria, in particular, the outlook is good,” said Paul Clark, a money manager in Johannesburg at Ashburton Investments, which owns Nigerian stocks including Seplat Petroleum Development Co. “The banking sector is probably the most attractive at the moment, especially the tier-2 lenders.”

Nigerian stocks are leading the world so far this year. Foreign investors have been crucial in driving the market higher. The New York-based Global X MSCI Nigeria ETF attracted record weekly net inflows through Thursday. That helped to increase the exchange-traded fund’s market capitalization to almost $90 million, double the level in May last year.

Even after the gains, Nigerian valuations are the cheapest among the major African equity indexes. Nigerian stocks trade at a forward price-to-earnings ratio of 10.2, while South Africa’s are at 14 and the MSCI Emerging Market Index is at 13.

That suggests there’s further upside, according to Cape Town-based fund Allan Gray. While foreign investors turned negative on Nigeria after following the 2014 oil crash and subsequent recession, the economy picked up last year and growth is forecast by the International Monetary Fund to accelerate to 2.1 percent in 2019.

“For long-term investors, Nigerian equities were a screaming bargain,” said Nick Ndiritu, co-manager of Allan Gray’s $389 million Africa equity fund, which doesn’t include South Africa. “Investor sentiment has turned more bullish on Nigeria and a re-rating of the Nigerian stock market is now underway.”

Still, there are some warning signs. The 120-day correlation between Nigerian stocks and Brent crude is now around the highest in two years. If oil prices reverse their 45 percent climb since June, Nigerian assets could take a hit.

That’s one reason HSBC Holdings Plc has a negative outlook on the stocks. The U.K. bank also says Nigeria will have to free its currency further if it wants to attract more investment. While the central bank eased some capital controls last year and opened a trading window for foreign portfolio traders, it continues to operate several exchange rates.

“Nigeria’s multiple exchange rate system is likely to remain a key drag, keeping long-term investors on the side lines,” HSBC analysts David Faulkner, John Lomax and Kishore Muktinutalapati said in a note on Jan. 11.

• Copyright Bloomberg

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/01/15/with-12-rise-in-fourteen-days-nigerian-stocks-are-worlds-best/

As Nigeria gains more n more money, The citizens get poorer. Ayam confuse grin
Re: With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg by deebrownneymar: 1:21pm On Jan 15, 2018
seunmsg:

When things go wrong, blame Buhari. When they are good, Buhari should not take the credit. This is not how to criticize the government. Knock them when they deserve knocks and give them credit when they deserve it.

What I'm saying is Buhari should not take the credit. He did absolutely nothing.
Re: With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg by deebrownneymar: 1:21pm On Jan 15, 2018
LionDeLeo:

But recession due to fall in oil prices is Buhari’s fault.

Tell me about poppyco.ck.

Do you know his policies only worsened the situation?
Re: With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg by winnah(f): 3:03pm On Jan 15, 2018
Bollinger:

If i tell you say i no even know where Nigeria de for map again you no go believe.

funny you.
Re: With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg by Bollinger(m): 3:05pm On Jan 15, 2018
winnah:

funny you.

Funny but true.
Re: With 12% Rise In Fourteen Days Nigerian Stocks Are World’s Best - Bloomberg by deebrownneymar: 9:10pm On Jan 28, 2018
seunmsg:

Bro can you mention one person that blamed Buhari for the fall in oil prices? I bet you can't because no one can be blamed. In the same vain, no one can take the credit. Please let's have an open mind. I'm not a fan of the PDP at all. You may have presumed that. So tell me, is it right for the govt to take credit? We all know that the oil prices have been surging recently.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Business Can I Start With #30,000? / 7 Ways To Receive Payment From Abroad (aside Paypal) / Which Business Can I Start With 800k That Will Yield Immediate Profit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.