Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,755 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? (1494 Views)

Most See: Mad Man Preaching The Gospel In Raw Truth / The Impact Of Benny Hinn’s Rejection Of The Prosperity Gospel In Africa / Little Boy Preaching The Gospel In Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 3:25am On Jan 17, 2018
"for we know in part and prophesy in part"...
am afraid this seems not to be true with modern Christian professors who seem to think they know all and try to treat the old testament like it's a THORN IN THEIR FLESH....

now my questions are .... "

1,is the gospel in the old testament?
2, were people saved in the old testament Even with an everlasting SALVATION?
3, were they saved on basics of the law?

I will also give my own answers on this issue

I pray it's edifying to the Saints

AMEN

I'd value the views and points of the mentioned; An2elect2 jiggaz Goshen360 salvation101 enilove petra1 5solas ubenedictus mrpresident1 julivas kolawoleibukun doyinbaby enshy nebes paxonel nicemuyoo ken4christ overcomersfaith flamingREED MsNgo40 JesusSonOfGod Oracle16 ichuka onemmanuel
asuustrike2009

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by orisa37: 5:02am On Jan 17, 2018
Yes. All the Prophets and their Prophecies were Goodnews!!!

2 Likes

Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by orisa37: 5:09am On Jan 17, 2018
The Creation of Light, Good and Life @ The Beginning was a cheering News-Gospel.
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 9:15am On Jan 17, 2018
thanks bro... but why do modern Christians now hate the testament .. or at least majority don't like it
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by jiggaz(m): 6:46pm On Jan 17, 2018
Ferisidowu:
am afraid this seems not to be true with modern Christian professors who seem to think they know all and try to treat the old testament like it's a THORN IN THEIR FLESH....

AMEN

I'd value the views and points of the mentioned; An2elect2 jiggaz Goshen360 salvation101 enilove petra1 5solas ubenedictus mrpresident1 julivas kolawoleibukun doyinbaby enshy nebes paxonel nicemuyoo ken4christ overcomersfaith flamingREED MsNgo40 JesusSonOfGod Oracle16 ichuka onemmanuel
asuustrike2009
Thank you for the mention bro... Now lemme answer the questions...

1) Yes the Gospel was in the old testament but it was veiled or kinda hidden, e.g When God told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, it was symbolizing how Christ will become our sacrificial lamb. Even sef, the Gospel was planned from the foundation of the world by our Heavenly Father together with Christ and the Holy Spirit. They saw from the beginning that man will fell. But they hid the Gospel until it was time to unveil it. That was the wisdom of Our Father!!

2) Yes people were saved in the old testament but they did not have eternal security like the Church ( Grace Period). Their works was needed too because they were under the Law and Christ has not died for their sins yet. Am talking about the Jews cos i don't really know about Gentiles in the old testament.

3) I think its both Law and Faith combined. Christ have not come and died for the sins of the world, remember?
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:46pm On Jan 17, 2018
Ferisidowu:

AMEN

I'd value the views and points of the mentioned; An2elect2 jiggaz Goshen360 salvation101 enilove petra1 5solas ubenedictus mrpresident1 julivas kolawoleibukun doyinbaby enshy nebes paxonel nicemuyoo ken4christ overcomersfaith flamingREED MsNgo40 JesusSonOfGod Oracle16 ichuka in Emmanuel
asuustrike2009

1. ofcuz the good news is also in the old testament only in a veiled manner, few people recognize it.

2. heb 11 show us that some where saved in the old testament., their salvation though is preconditioned on Christ.
3. no one was ever saved by obeying the law, anyone saved is saved based on God's mercy. Romans tells us that Abraham and co were saved by God crediting them righteous on the basis of faith.

ask if you don't understand what I wrote.

edit: I was actually taught the old testament as the beginning of the good news it was pretty essential... It still is.

I don't know if any modern Christian take it as a thorn but in the older churches it is treated as a gem and interpreted in the light of the new testament using types. the old in the shadow of the new.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by live4dgospel(m): 8:49pm On Jan 17, 2018
Ferisidowu:

AMEN

asuustrike2009
This is a very interesting question you asked, even though you didn't ask for my comments, I have to comment because no one yet has been able to provide you the right answer, as I have already written this I will just copy and share it here again.
I beseech you to be well-versed in the Old Testament, only then you will come to understand the New Testament. Hear what Paul being inspired by the Holy Spirit said about the way Christ died for our sins "For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,"(1 Corinthians 15:3-4). How did Christ die for our sins? It is according to the scriptures What does it mean by according to the scriptures? It means that Christ died in the same way as the Old Testament sacrificial system of atonement of sins. Because when Paul was writing the epistle, there was nothing like the New Testament, they were only using the Old Testament. Do you know the Old Testament sacrificial system well? If you do, then you will not find it hard to understand the ministry of John the Baptist. You want to see it written literally that 'John the Baptist is a High Priest' before you believe. The Bible is a word of God and cannot be understood all by a carnal man. From the duty of John the Baptist we came to understand that he is indeed a High Priest. Now let me go back to the sacrificial system of laying on of hands so that you may come to understand this John the Baptist well, who is a High Priest and a representative of all mankind. John the Baptist is the greatest among those born of a woman, he is greater than Abraham, Moses, Isaiah, David and all your Roman Catholic Popes! “Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."(Matthew 11:11) and again Jesus said that John is more than a prophet, He was implying that John is also a High Priest. But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I say to you, and more than a prophet"(Matthew 12:9). Now open your ears and listen to me as explain the sacrificial system to you. Be fair-minded, just as those in Berea. "These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so."(Acts 17:11).

So the gospel is found in the Old Testament and the Old Testament is a shadow of the New Testament. The sacrifial system of the Old Testament is the way God atoned the sins of Israelites through the High Priest and sacrifial animals, in the SAME WAY God atoned for the sins of the whole world through John the Baptist who represented the High Priest and Jesus who stood as a sacrifial Lamb.
Now compare them, they are perfect match! In the Old Testament there were 3 conditions for God to accept the sin offering
(1) Animal without 'blemish' must be used.

(2) The High Priest must lay his hands on the head of sacrifial animal so as to transfer the sins committed by the person or the whole congregation of Israel to body of the animal.

(3) Then the animal must be killed and its blood shed on behalf of the people who committed the sins. (Lev. 1:1-5, Lev. 16:20-21)

In the New Testament the same thing happened:
As it is written "This is He who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ; not only by water, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is truth"(1 John 5:6)

(1) Jesus came without blemish, as the animal without blemish in OT sacrificial system.

(2) John the Baptist laid his hands on His head during the baptism so as to transfer our sins to Jesus body, as the OT High Priest

(3) Then Jesus Christ carried the sins to the Cross where He shed His blood on our behalf, as the animal in the OT system must be killed.

I WILL FOLLOW UP THIS TOPIC SO AS TO PROVIDE YOU WITH MORE PROOFS FROM THE WORD OF GOD

1 Like

Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jan 18, 2018
Ubenedictus:

1. ofcuz the good news is also in the old testament only in a veiled manner, few people recognize it.

2. heb 11 show us that some where saved in the old testament., their salvation though is preconditioned on Christ.
3. no one was ever saved by obeying the law, anyone saved is saved based on God's mercy. Romans tells us that Abraham and co were saved by God crediting them righteous on the basis of faith.

ask if you don't understand what I wrote.

edit: I was actually taught the old testament as the beginning of the good news it was pretty essential... It still is.

I don't know if any modern Christian take it as a thorn but in the older churches it is treated as a gem and interpreted in the light of the new testament using types. the old in the shadow of the new.

thanks a lot....

some take it as a Thorn in their flesh, tell them about something and they quickly scream " that's old testament"
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jan 18, 2018
live4dgospel:

This is a very interesting question you asked, even though you didn't ask for my comments, I have to comment because no one yet has been able to provide you the right answer, as I have already written this I will just copy and share it here again.
I beseech you to be well-versed in the Old Testament, only then you will come to understand the New Testament. Hear what Paul being inspired by the Holy Spirit said about the way Christ died for our sins "For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,"(1 Corinthians 15:3-4). How did Christ die for our sins? It is according to the scriptures What does it mean by according to the scriptures? It means that Christ died in the same way as the Old Testament sacrificial system of atonement of sins. Because when Paul was writing the epistle, there was nothing like the New Testament, they were only using the Old Testament. Do you know the Old Testament sacrificial system well? If you do, then you will not find it hard to understand the ministry of John the Baptist. You want to see it written literally that 'John the Baptist is a High Priest' before you believe. The Bible is a word of God and cannot be understood all by a carnal man. From the duty of John the Baptist we came to understand that he is indeed a High Priest. Now let me go back to the sacrificial system of laying on of hands so that you may come to understand this John the Baptist well, who is a High Priest and a representative of all mankind. John the Baptist is the greatest among those born of a woman, he is greater than Abraham, Moses, Isaiah, David and all your Roman Catholic Popes! “Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."(Matthew 11:11) and again Jesus said that John is more than a prophet, He was implying that John is also a High Priest. But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I say to you, and more than a prophet"(Matthew 12:9). Now open your ears and listen to me as explain the sacrificial system to you. Be fair-minded, just as those in Berea. "These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so."(Acts 17:11).

So the gospel is found in the Old Testament and the Old Testament is a shadow of the New Testament. The sacrifial system of the Old Testament is the way God atoned the sins of Israelites through the High Priest and sacrifial animals, in the SAME WAY God atoned for the sins of the whole world through John the Baptist who represented the High Priest and Jesus who stood as a sacrifial Lamb.
Now compare them, they are perfect match! In the Old Testament there were 3 conditions for God to accept the sin offering
(1) Animal without 'blemish' must be used.

(2) The High Priest must lay his hands on the head of sacrifial animal so as to transfer the sins committed by the person or the whole congregation of Israel to body of the animal.

(3) Then the animal must be killed and its blood shed on behalf of the people who committed the sins. (Lev. 1:1-5, Lev. 16:20-21)

In the New Testament the same thing happened:
As it is written "This is He who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ; not only by water, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is truth"(1 John 5:6)

(1) Jesus came without blemish, as the animal without blemish in OT sacrificial system.

(2) John the Baptist laid his hands on His head during the baptism so as to transfer our sins to Jesus body, as the OT High Priest

(3) Then Jesus Christ carried the sins to the Cross where He shed His blood on our behalf, as the animal in the OT system must be killed.

I WILL FOLLOW UP THIS TOPIC SO AS TO PROVIDE YOU WITH MORE PROOFS FROM THE WORD OF GOD

thanks a lot I didn't mention you cos I didn't really know you before now....

thanks God bless...

I will ruminate on this and ask questions later
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Julivas(m): 10:11pm On Jan 18, 2018
jiggaz:
Thank you for the mention bro... Now lemme answer the questions...

1) Yes the Gospel was in the old testament but it was veiled or kinda hidden, e.g When God told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, it was symbolizing how Christ will become our sacrificial lamb. Even sef, the Gospel was planned from the foundation of the world by our Heavenly Father together with Christ and the Holy Spirit. They saw from the beginning that man will fell. But they hid the Gospel until it was time to unveil it. That was the wisdom of Our Father!!

2) Yes people were saved in the old testament but they did not have eternal security like the Church ( Grace Period). Their works was needed too because they were under the Law and Christ has not died for their sins yet. Am talking about the Jews cos i don't really know about Gentiles in the old testament.

3) I think its both Law and Faith combined. Christ have not come and died for the sins of the world, remember?

I support this totally .
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Thegospelman(m): 2:41am On Jan 19, 2018
Ferisidowu:

thanks a lot I didn't mention you cos I didn't really know you before now....

thanks God bless...

I will ruminate on this and ask questions later
As live4dgospel has given you a summary of the correlation between the gospel in both Testaments. I feel that you really need the details from the word of God. So this e-book will help you, read it with your Bible for you to truly appreciate the amazing gospel our Great God has given us.
Click on the link below to download instantly.
[PDF] (2MB)

https://drive.google.com/uc?authuser=0&id=0B8wCbx7jt6ZJMTZNemJESWx1QlU&export=download
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Alwaystrue(f): 2:48am On Jan 19, 2018
So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure chest." - Matthew 13:52

Ferisidowu:

For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it - Hebrews 4:2

I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not - Jude 1:5

3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Romans 8:3-4
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by enilove(m): 1:52pm On Jan 19, 2018
Op, thanks for asking for my contribution. I am only contributing to the discussions to learn from you guys.

My opinion as per whether the gospel is hidden in the old testament is , it is not hidden in the old testament.
My reasons are as follows:

The gospel is the good news about the arrival of the Messiah, Jesus Christ. The gospel means to tell someone or people that death of Jesus has reconciled us to God.
It means an attainment of an end.

The old testament on the other hand was a means to an end. A process to get us to be reconciled to God. It means the awaiting of the arrival of the messiah.

It is like a traveller planning to go to Israel. The preparations to purchase ticket , obtain Visa ,secure acomodation etc has not taken him to Israel , but a means to get hin to Israel. The old testament is like that.

To conclude that the traveller was in Israel when he was in Nigeria because he had already gotten the plan to go to Israel is wrong. Purchasing travelling ticket , getting Visa and so on would not make him to be counted among those in Israel at that particular time.

If the gospel is hidden in the old old testament , then those old testament saints would go to heaven, but the Bible tells otherwise.

Secondly on whether people of the old testament were saved with everlasting salvation ? I will also say NO.

Reasons. :
If it were possible for those people in the old testament to be saved with everlasting salvation based on their righteousness , their would not have been need for the coming of the Messiah , Jesus Christ. His death would not have been necessary.

Their personal righteousness was nothing b4 God. That was why David said in :
Isaiah 64:6 KJV
But we are all as an unclean thing , and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

There are inherited sins and personal sins. The inherited sin dated back to the time of Adam. The personal sins starts from you. The righteousness of the people of the O. T .were counted for them based on their personal life style and relationship with God. But the sins their ancestors committed plus that of Adam is what makes their righteousness like filthy rags. Without the death of Christ they also would die for the sinns of their ancestors :

Romans 5:14 KJV
Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

John 3:13-15 KJV
And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
[14] And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
[15] That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

This means despite all their righteousness non of the people of the old testament made heaven. Including Abraham.

Lastly , some of them were saved temporarily b4 giving of the law and some by the law.

Hebrews 10:4 KJV
For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

Before Moses came there was nothing like killing of sheep and goats for atonements and since blood is necessary for the remission of sin, the only blood they were waiting for was the blood of Jesus .

Hebrews 9:22 KJV
And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

This is to tell us that there is non that could have attained an eternal life if not for the death of Jesus Christ.
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by jiggaz(m): 4:10pm On Jan 19, 2018
Julivas:

I support this totally .
thank u

1 Like

Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jan 19, 2018
Is the gospel in the old testament?

The answer is yes!

Abraham heard the gospel
Galatians 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

The Israelites heard the gospel but not all believed,
Romans 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

Salvation has always been by faith alone, the law was added to witness against the unbelieving. The gospel has always been, but in different ways.

Christ coming was a fulfillment of the gospel which was preached aforetime.
The gospel today is that the promise has been fulfilled through Christ.

For The people who believed, their works were a testimony to their faith.

1 Like

Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jan 19, 2018
Were the people who believed the gospel before time eternally saved?
No, Eternal salvation is base upon the work of Christ on the cross.
Their faith weren't complete until Christ died and went to the grave to preach to them.
When they died they went to a special place in hell pending the coming of Christ. And if Christ had not come to fulfill the scriptures they would have been doomed and their faith would be invain.
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:02pm On Feb 14, 2018
Ferisidowu:

thanks a lot....

some take it as a Thorn in their flesh, tell them about something and they quickly scream " that's old testament"
the old testament is pretty important to me and part of how I interpret scriptures, the old testament is the context with which I read the new.

maybe this will give you an idea of how I learnt the old testament, watch past the introduction part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67WmIGLPvEM&fulldescription=1&hl=en&gl=NG&client=mv-google
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Feb 15, 2018
Ubenedictus:
the old testament is pretty important to me and part of how I interpret scriptures, the old testament is the context with which I read the new.

maybe this will give you an idea of how I learnt the old testament, watch past the introduction part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67WmIGLPvEM&fulldescription=1&hl=en&gl=NG&client=mv-google

of course that's true sir....

I will watch the video very soon sir
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Feb 18, 2018
Ferisidowu:

not every spirit are of God. Always test the spirit through the word. Let the holy Spirit be your teacher. Remember we are in the last age, Satan is a twister he loves to twist the truth.
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Feb 18, 2018
solite3:
not every spirit are of God. Always test the spirit through the word. Let the holy Spirit be your teacher. Remember we are in the last age, Satan is a twister he loves to twist the truth.

Hmm thanks a lot for your advice,,, have you watched the video?

Besides isn't the old testament important?
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by CandidSeeker(m): 12:38am On Feb 19, 2018
Ferisidowu:

AMEN

asuustrike2009

Luke 24:27, 44 NKJV
And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.

Then He said to them, "These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me."

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:18pm On Feb 19, 2018
Ferisidowu:

start for 14mins, thats when the stuff on old and new come in
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 19, 2018
Ubenedictus:
start for 14mins, thats when the stuff on old and new come in

Ok
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by petra1(m): 6:05pm On Feb 19, 2018
Ferisidowu:

Yes

Hebrews 4:2
2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

Christ is still center of salvation throughout the ages . They looked forward to the cross while we looked back at the cross . They had the prophecies of his coming and they looked forward to the REDEMPTION. The messiah . However There is standard for salvation in every dispensation according to the light that they had .

1 Like

Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by ichuka(m): 10:42pm On Feb 19, 2018
The Gospel of God has always been the Gospel of Grace right from the Begining in Genesis.
It wasn't Gods intention to introduce the Law,which demand works.it was introduced to deal with an immediate need then.
The Gospel of Grace was preached to Adam down to Abraham.
What is the Gospel?we do nothing for He has done everything for us.

1 Like

Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:44am On Feb 20, 2018
CandidSeeker:

Luke 24:27, 44 NKJV
And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.

Then He said to them, "These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me."

Amen

1 Like

Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Feb 20, 2018
ichuka:
The Gospel of God has always been the Gospel of Grace right from the Begining in Genesis.
It wasn't Gods intention to introduce the Law,which demand works.it was introduced to deal with an immediate need then.
The Gospel of Grace was preached to Adam down to Abraham.
What is the Gospel?we do nothing for He has done everything for us.

I agree with you on some points... .. but that it wasn't God's intention to introduce the law, I can't accept ....

Besides the law wasn't given for justification ... It was given as a guide.. (school master)
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by ichuka(m): 11:11pm On Feb 20, 2018
Ferisidowu:

I agree with you on some points... .. but that it wasn't God's intention to introduce the law, I can't accept ....

Besides the law wasn't given for justification ... It was given as a guide.. (school master)
The law has never been in Gods purpose for us."IT WAS ADDED BECAUSE OF TRANSGRESSION "the law was a catalyst.baking powder added when baking never increase the nutrient of a bread.
From Genesis to Revelation there has been only one Gospel preached which is the Gospel of Grace and not of the law/Work.

1 Like

Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by Goshen360(m): 11:41pm On Feb 20, 2018
Ferisidowu:

He's RIGHT! God never intended the law. Paul was teaching Grace gospel and alluded....why was the law added? It was added because of transgression...what transgression? You have to go back to the event that happened after they left Egypt n for God to give the law. I have thought about this before though.

As for the gospel being in the old testament....the resounding answer is YES! The gospel was hidden in the old but today, instead of ministry and ministers to draw out this gospel in the old to present the finished works of Christ, they preach it as a means to godliness which is wrong. We are to present Christ and his finished work from the old.

My little piece.
Re: Is The Gospel In The Old Testament? by NewsOnline: 11:47pm On Nov 22, 2018
Christ taught His disciples the Gospel from the Old Testament on the same day of His resurrection. See what He did as He walked with the two despondent disciples (Cleopas and his companion) on the road to Emmaus in Luke 24:27 — “And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself."

The Old Testament is filled with faith pictures that have as their substance our Saviour Jesus Christ and our life in Him. Check out the result of Christ's OT teaching on Cleopas and his companion in verse 32:

"And they said to one another, “Were not our hearts greatly moved and burning within us while He was talking with us on the road and as He opened and explained to us [the sense of] the Scriptures?"”

Their depression was lifted!

That same evening, Jesus appeared to the disciples in Jerusalem (the same Luke 24wink check out what He did in verse 45 (MSG)- “He went on to open their understanding of the Word of God, showing them how to read their Bibles this way.”

The New Testament hadn't been written at this time. Paul who wrote a huge chunk of the NT was not saved yet. By God’s grace, when we study the Old Testament, we get to see these faith pictures; we get to see Christ — our love story with our Saviour and how our salvation is entirely by Grace through faith; from the design of God's Tabernacle, the materials used in its construction and its contents (the Ark is a picture of Christ) to the story of David and Goliath.

Here's one OT story starring David as a picture of our Saviour Jesus Christ, beginning from Goliath's rant in 1 Samuel 17:

8 "He stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel and said to them, “Why do you come out to draw up in battle array? Am I not the Philistine and you servants of Saul? Choose a man for yourselves and let him come down to me. 9 If he is able to fight with me and kill me, then we will become your servants; but if I prevail against him and kill him, then you shall become our servants and serve us.” 10 Again the Philistine said, “I defy the ranks of Israel this day; give me a man that we may fight together.” 11 When Saul and all Israel heard these words of the Philistine, they were dismayed and greatly afraid."

Goliath here is a picture of Satan the accuser, taunting and driving fearful Israel to condemnation for their weaknesses and shortcomings. Ministers in many places of worship are doing the accuser’s work for him today. Just as Goliath stood in his own strength, many stand proudly in their bubbles of self-righteousness and human effort at keeping the law (all filthy rags according to Isaiah) and tell the sheep to do same in order to be victorious. But like the discouraged Israelite army in the face of Goliath and the Philistines, the helpless and fallen sheep can do nothing without Christ.

Of ourselves, nothing good is in any of us. But there is something about the arm of flesh (human effort at obedience) that wants to be relevant in the story of our salvation. That something is Pride. God's word says human effort (the arm of flesh) will fail, is powerless and cannot: Romans 7:18-

"For I know that nothing good lives within the flesh of my fallen humanity. The longings to do what is right are within me, but will-power is not enough to accomplish it."

But just as Goliath did, mouthpieces of Satan the accuser on many pulpits tell you: “No, you can and you must fight to save yourself by keeping the Law using your will-power. You must overcome your Goliath -Satan and your Philistines of porn/drug addiction, selfishness, sickness, lack and everything that bothers you by your will-power.”

Such accuse and condemn you for your sins and shortcomings and tell you to save yourself from them by redoubling your non-existent efforts at keeping the Law, contradicting God's word in Romans 8:3-4 (MSG)-

“…The law always ended up being used as a Band-Aid on sin instead of a deep healing of it. And now what the law code asked for but we couldn’t deliver is accomplished as we, instead of redoubling our own efforts, simply embrace what the Spirit is doing in us.”

Pointing out the sheep’s weaknesses and shortcomings and demanding obedience from pedestals of self-righteousness (righteousness from obeying the law) cannot save anybody. Like the Israelites, many sinners are fully aware of their weaknesses and are trying hard to conquer their own Philistines (acts of sin, addictions, poverty, depression, generational curses, sickness, fear, everything that one is trying to gain victory overwink but they keep on failing because “the arm of flesh will fail.” Their hearts long for “the Root and Offspring of David” to save them from their sins; the One of whom it is written in Matt. 1:21

“And she will have a Son, and you are to name Him Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”

But these Satan's "ministers of righteousness" preach straight from the pulpit that the battle is yours and not the Lord's and that you should be your own champion in the battle against sin. They block people from seeing Christ, our own “Goliath Slayer” today. Instead, they point sinners to their own strength: various fasts, tithes, good works and obedience to the Ten Commandments that cannot save anybody (Romans 3:20.) But as it was with the Israelites, no one can come out to fight; not even their tallest, Saul. Only Jesus saves.

Just two chapters before Goliath’s rant is the account of what led to God rejecting Saul as king of Israel (1 Samuel 15.)

Saul here is a picture of Adam who disobeyed God. He disobeyed God’s command for him to utterly destroy the Amalekite nation “for opposing Israel when they came from Egypt.” Saul was meant to completely destroy them - their men, women, children, babies and animals but he and his men let Agag the Amalekite king live and kept the best of the livestock that appealed to them.

Remember the story of Esther? How ironic is it that the villain in the story, Haman, was a descendant of king Agag - the only Amalekite whose life was spared by Saul. See Esther 9:24 “For Haman the Agagite, the son of Hammedatha, the enemy of all the Jews, had plotted against the Jews to destroy them, and had cast Pur (that is, cast lots), to crush and to destroy them.”

Because of his sin, God rejected Saul as king of Israel. His army was powerless against the Philistines. His disobedience also had far-reaching consequences as seen in Esther. It affected even Jews whose grandparents had not been born at the time of his reign. This is a picture of how all who are descended from Adam became sinners because of Adam's disobedience, as it is written in Romans 5:19- “For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous.”

Remember that Goliath stood and taunted Israel thus:

“Why are you all coming out to fight?” he called. “I am the Philistine champion, but you are only the servants of Saul. Choose one man to come down here and fight me! 9 If he kills me, then we will be your slaves. But if I kill him, you will be our slaves! 10 I defy the armies of Israel today! Send me a man who will fight me!”

Notice that the battle was between one champion from each camp. The Philistines had chosen Goliath as their “one man” to give them victory over Israel but Israel was yet to recognize its own “one man,” — David, a picture of Christ! This is a picture of how we gain victory over sin and death:

“For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous.” Romans 5:19.

Believers, we are saved from the taunts and accusations of the accuser and everything that we seek victory over by our one Man, Jesus Christ. He is our Champion in this battle. We are made righteous and have victory over sin and death because we believe that our Saviour Jesus Christ has won the battle on our behalf. The battle is not ours. The battle is the Lord’s. Check out what happened after David felled Goliath and chopped off his head in 1 Samuel 17:

51”...When the Philistines saw that their champion was dead, they turned and ran. 52 Then the men of Israel and Judah gave a great shout of triumph and rushed after the Philistines, chasing them as far as Gath and the gates of Ekron. The bodies of the dead and wounded Philistines were strewn all along the road from Shaaraim, as far as Gath and Ekron. 53 Then the Israelite army returned and plundered the deserted Philistine camp.”

When you believe that it is the obedience of the “one Man” Jesus Christ that makes us righteous and gives us dominion over the Philistines of life that cause us to be weak, dismayed and afraid, these enemies will by themselves flee from you and you will pursue and utterly destroy them. In Christ, under grace and with His gift of righteousness, we get to live in triumph over sin and death. See Romans 5:17-

“For the sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over many. But even greater is God’s wonderful grace and His gift of righteousness, for all who receive it will live in triumph over sin and death through this one Man, Jesus Christ.”

This “death” includes every “Philistine” and their actions that trouble mankind as a result of Adam’s disobedience: guilt, fear of judgment, condemnation and death begun in the form of stress, silly mistakes, sickness, lack, unfortunate events, fast-tracked ageing and then physical death followed by the second death.

Christ our Champion fought our battle and won, giving all who believe in Him salvation and everlasting victory. But many who profess Christ do not believe that in Him we are made righteous apart from works. Many are still trying to obey the law and do good things in order to be righteous and win the fight over the Goliath that is Satan and the Philistines of life. Believers, Christ is our Champion. He has won it all!

Believe Right and you will Live Right.

(1) (Reply)

I Have Just Had A Strange Dream. Please Help. / Why A Christian Can Not Suffer Mental Illness Or Run Mad / You Will Get Chipped Eventually - CNBC News (they Are Getting Bolder)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.