Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

Why Do I Have To Wait Till The 8th Day Before Naming My Child - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do I Have To Wait Till The 8th Day Before Naming My Child (1859 Views)

Naming Ceremony Of Alaafin Of Oyo's Twins With Memunat (Photos) / Exposed: Traditional Igbo Circumcision And The 8th Day Circumcision Lie, Pt. 2 / Traditional Igbo Circumcision And The 8th-day Lie,pt.1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do I Have To Wait Till The 8th Day Before Naming My Child by KillaBeans(m): 8:58pm On Jan 19, 2018
Is it a must that I wait until the 8th day after the birth of my child before naming him? I've been thinking about this for a while now and I think people here should be able to help
Re: Why Do I Have To Wait Till The 8th Day Before Naming My Child by missiret(f): 9:02pm On Jan 19, 2018
Name ur own on the first day na, abi who hold u, na joke o, over to d person next person
Re: Why Do I Have To Wait Till The 8th Day Before Naming My Child by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jan 19, 2018
Is waiting 8 days a ritual??
I have seen some body who name his child @ the hospital immediately the child was born.
Taken your child to a church for naming or calling a pastor to do so doesn't change nothing
Re: Why Do I Have To Wait Till The 8th Day Before Naming My Child by kitaatita: 9:08pm On Jan 19, 2018
OceanmorganTrix:
Is waiting 8 days a ritual??
I have seen some body who name his child @ the hospital immediately the child was born.
Taken your child to a church for naming or calling a pastor to do so doesn't change nothing
My children got their names before they were born. And once they are delivered at the hospital, I call them by their names. I no wait any eight days.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do I Have To Wait Till The 8th Day Before Naming My Child by psucc(m): 9:12pm On Jan 19, 2018
It is not for everybody.You are at liberty to name your child at birth. Those who are concerned do wait.
Re: Why Do I Have To Wait Till The 8th Day Before Naming My Child by haylegbede1(m): 9:30pm On Jan 19, 2018
I'm getting married in 8 years time, I have already named my two sons and daughter
Re: Why Do I Have To Wait Till The 8th Day Before Naming My Child by whycee001(m): 9:34pm On Jan 19, 2018
I belong to comment readers association of nigeria (CRAON)our duty is to read,hit like,smile and pass. we no dey find trouble oo, we also try to be very brief so we can move to other comments.. Please membership to this association is opened to all...
just hit LIKE..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do I Have To Wait Till The 8th Day Before Naming My Child by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jan 19, 2018
The 8 days party is just a serious waste of money I tell you
Re: Why Do I Have To Wait Till The 8th Day Before Naming My Child by haylegbede1(m): 10:13pm On Jan 19, 2018
whycee001:
I belong to comment readers association of nigeria (CRAON)our duty is to read,hit like,smile and pass. we no dey find trouble oo, we also try to be very brief so we can move to other comments.. Please membership to this association is opened to all...
just hit LIKE..

I like this comment

But I will not hit like bro cool
Re: Why Do I Have To Wait Till The 8th Day Before Naming My Child by cooljude(m): 1:19pm On Jan 21, 2018
This practice is a very old one because of the high rate of child mortality before the advances made by modern medicine.

Alot of African cultures believe in spirit child or as Igbos would say "Ogbanje". This was due to the fact that back then they had no knowledge of germs, Genotype etc.

When they gave birth to kids, they knew that the survival rate for that kid would be low so in other not to invest too emotionally they would have to wait for sometime to see if the child would survive.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Annual IKENGA FESTIVAL In Utagba-uno (photos, Video) / New Ooni Of Ife Gets Muslim Name / PHOTOS: Ooni Of Ife Arrives #sokotodurban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.