Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,801 members, 7,820,805 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination (13993 Views)

I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? / HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination / Check Out The Pedestrian Bridge Built By ABU, Zaria Alumni Association (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Nounitesportal(m): 5:10am On Jan 20, 2018
The National Open University of Nigeria Alumni Association (NOUNAA) on Friday lamented that graduates of the university were being belittled by conventional universities’ graduates.

The President of NOUNAA, Mr. Fidelis Agunbiade, told newsmen at a news conference in Abuja that looking down on graduates from the university was an unhealthy development for the nation’s education sector.

Agunbiade said there must not be any discrimination among graduates from various universities.

He said denigrating NOUN graduates because it was a distance learning programme would not augur well for the nation’s education.

“The issue of superiority exhibited by those in conventional universities must be dealt with because graduates of NOUN are often better equipped.’’

According to the NOUNAA president, all the anomalies recorded in conventional universities like bribery, sexual harassment, corruption among others were alien to NOUN students.

He said this was because NOUN was a distance learning programme and no one had the time to be engaged in any frivolities or anomalies.

Agunbiade said the association was most concerned in the development of its alma mater, adding that it produced the best of graduates through the best system.

“We are completely focused on building and maintaining a cordial relationship with NOUN and partnering with them in order to consistently add value to our degree qualifications,’’ he said.

Agunbiade said recent developments in the school had shown that the Vice-Chancellor, Prof Adamu Abdalla, “is a man with great vision and good service orientation’’.

“The transformation he has brought to NOUN is evident for all to see, we have no doubt that the university will be galvanised into greater heights under his tenure.’’

The NOUNAA President congratulated former President Olusegun Obasanjo as he bagged his PhD in Christian Theology from the school.

He said Obasanjo had enrolled for his Ph.D. in Theology a few years ago and on Jan. 20 he would be conferred with the academic honour after a rigorous defence of his thesis.

According to Agunbiade, this is an uncommon feet by an octogenarian, making him a role model indeed and a shining example man’s achievement.

He called on the National Assembly to quickly pass the law that would allow NOUN law graduates enroll in law school and the Federal Government to increase funding for NOUN.

http://nounitesportal.com/announcement/noun-alumni-association-decries-discrimination/

3 Likes

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by olumide81(m): 6:25am On Jan 20, 2018
If they discriminate against you, you have the right to prove your worth to convince them..... Some hnd holders have done such. However, Nigerians don't discriminate for no tangible reason.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Nobody: 6:45am On Jan 20, 2018
olumide81:
If they discriminate against you, you have the right to prove your worth to convince them..... Some hnd holders have done such. However, Nigerians don't discriminate for no tangible reason.
This is not always true my brother, sometimes u proved your worth and discrimination will still persist.

28 Likes

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Amirullaha(m): 7:18am On Jan 20, 2018
Very true...
Students from such schools are always discriminated...

2 Likes

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by eezeribe(m): 7:19am On Jan 20, 2018
So in their wildest dreams,while they were studying in NOUN,they thought they were in a university
A school that students only appear at the end of the semester to write their exams after being given handouts in the area of concentration..
I had some friends in NOUN;most of them are daft in their so called areas of discipline...
The worst are the ones studying sciences.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Nobody: 7:19am On Jan 20, 2018
Too bad
Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by AntiWailer: 7:19am On Jan 20, 2018
Onijagidijagan:

This is not always true my brother, sometimes u proved your worth and discrimination will still persist.

The worth is not properly expressed then.

Nobody discriminate against their asset.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by juddexy2(m): 7:19am On Jan 20, 2018
Abeg, nor vex NOUN na school? grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Amirullaha(m): 7:21am On Jan 20, 2018
juddexy2:
No na buka...

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Acidosis(m): 7:21am On Jan 20, 2018
Even the graduates from conventional universities discriminate against one another;

Federal Unis against State Universities

Public against Private Universities

Medical Students (MBBS) against Health Sciences

Sciences against Science Education

and the list go on...

You guys don't have to prove your worth to anybody. Do your thing and allow the detractors distract themselves.

69 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Daslim180(m): 7:21am On Jan 20, 2018
Wo! Emeka no get University certificate but e dey make him money. Who scul help in this present day Naija. Iyalaya scul. Your success doesn't lies in education alone. Discrimination that doesn't ring food to the table.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by SalamRushdie: 7:21am On Jan 20, 2018
Black people and complaint of discrimination sef.. I have heard HND peops say such too but i know it's farfetched bullshit Fueled by inferiority complex.

2 Likes

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Felixalex(m): 7:22am On Jan 20, 2018
I once got admission into this NOUN, I went and did all the necessary registration processes, made all payments... After a week or so, my sister called me and told me about how job applicants at her bank who finished from the school got their CVs kicked aside while considering those to be called for interviews... She said "please don't waste your time, leave that school"

Had to wait 3more years till I got admission in a regular federal university..

But in the real sense sef, the present Nigeria we live in discriminates against all graduates o, I know about 3 first class graduates of Federal Universities who are still jobless, one told me recently that he got a teaching job and was told he would be paid 24k..

Sometimes I am tempted to regret going to University, all the money I've made in this life almost has nothing to do with the fact that I am a graduate, I would have used that time to develop myself further rather wasting it applying and waiting for admission then finally spending 4years doing stupid assignments, tests and exams.

But till tomorrow I still de regret the 21k registration fees wey I pay. Those days when naija money still get value, I for use am do better thing. Even now wey e no get value sef, e go still buy like 6 crates of beer grin cheesy

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Quality20(m): 7:22am On Jan 20, 2018
that's true just like how FG university graduates look down on state university graduates or how ABU graduates claim being naturally ahead of others. But all the same just prove urselves

2 Likes

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by DoyenExchange: 7:25am On Jan 20, 2018
Mr. Agunbiade has valid points!
Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Smooyis(m): 7:27am On Jan 20, 2018
Naija sef grin
Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by revelation2013(m): 7:29am On Jan 20, 2018
In other developed countries NOU is never discriminated again. Na Nigerian own dey always different. How do you want to encourage education when there is discrimination?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by DrToche: 7:32am On Jan 20, 2018
naija sef
Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Touchey: 7:32am On Jan 20, 2018
eezeribe:
So in their wildest dreams,while there were studying in NOUN,they thought there were in a university
A school that students only appear at the end of the semester to write their exams after being given handouts in the area of concentration..
I had some friends in NOUN;most of them are daft in their so called areas of discipline...
The worst are the ones studying sciences.
As if you're more intelligent

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by EmmaEma: 7:36am On Jan 20, 2018
comap:
do your masters abroad

What are you still doing in Nigeria? Go for your own masters na...

1 Like

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 7:38am On Jan 20, 2018
Felixalex:
I once got admission into this NOUN, I went and did all the necessary registration processes, made all payments... After a week or so, my sister called me and told me about how job applicants at her bank who finished from the school got their CVs kicked aside while considering those to be called for interviews... She said "please don't waste your time, leave that school"

Had to wait 3more years till I got admission in a regular federal university..

But till tomorrow I still de regret the 21k registration fees wey I pay. Those days when naija money still get value, I for use am do better thing. Even now wey e no get value sef, e go still buy like 6 crates of beer grin cheesy
Am sure the same bank would accept someone that did a distance learning programme from a foreign school like, Robert Gordon University. NOUN was established by the government just like other Public universities. The hypocrisy of this nation is nothing to write home about.

8 Likes

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Felixalex(m): 7:41am On Jan 20, 2018
Gaddafithe2nd:

Am sure the same bank would accept someone that did a distance learning programme from a foreign school like, Robert Gordon University. NOUN was established by the government just like other Public universities. The hypocrisy of this nation is nothing to write home about.

I guess so. Na dem sabi sha.
Funny enough, while in school most times when I went online to search for study materials either for personal studies or assignment needs, I always ended up finding NOUN materials in the related course. Their study materials are very good, maybe I should say excellent.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Nuheights(m): 7:42am On Jan 20, 2018
Some people dropped out of college, yet they command global respect and influence today. True respect is not forced; it is earned. NOUN graduates MUST learn to earn and command their respect. Who you are, and what you have, will always show eventually!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 7:44am On Jan 20, 2018
revelation2013:
In other developed countries NOU is never discriminated again. Na Nigerian own dey always different. How do you want to encourage education when there is discrimination?
Brother, you dey mind them. I could remember in my final year, a lecturer of mine said, Nigeria should move away from conventional system, that Flipped classroom is the best now. You learn at your own pace.
The irony of it is most of our founding fathers all did continuous/distance learning education in the UK.

1 Like

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by bigdot1759(m): 7:46am On Jan 20, 2018
naija with all dis useless tins people wey no go university don dey do beta tin for life even person wey go learn work self don go far in life yet na job complaint be university graduate daily songs
Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by teamv: 7:46am On Jan 20, 2018
Humm Na so e go be
Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 7:47am On Jan 20, 2018
Felixalex:

I guess so. Na dem sabi sha.
Funny enough, while in school most times when I went online to search for study materials either for personal studies or assignment needs, I always ended up finding NOUN materials in the related course. Their study materials are very good, maybe I should say excellent.
Exactly, their study material is rich in content. Government must find something to do about this discrimination.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by jidxin(m): 7:48am On Jan 20, 2018
Hmmmm why wont they be? The class of grad d sch is churning out are half baked just like d guy in my office
Re: NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination by internationalman(m): 7:53am On Jan 20, 2018
juddexy2:
Dumb comment

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eyenimi Ndimou & Ify Aniebo Shortlisted For London’s Most Innovative Award / Federal University Oye-ekiti (FUOYE) 2018/2019 Admission Thread / FG Denies Tuition Hike, Says Education Bank Underway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.