Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,425 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:22 AM

How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects (54848 Views)

Delta Police Arrest Young Lady With Pistol, Stolen Phones & Drugs / How Scammers From Europe Use Phones To Cheat People In Africa / How Can I Track My Stolen Phones And Electronics? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by poseidon12: 7:30pm On Jan 20, 2018
fearNORTH:
Was a victim this last December and my account emptied.

Somehow tracked the guy and got his number and pictures but he has been threatening my life since then

Threatening you? Has he not been arrested?

1 Like

Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by Oyiboman69: 7:34pm On Jan 20, 2018
Benjom:

If you want to get an in depth information about this new revolution that the highly placed business minded people are yearning for, join me at "Four Points" by Sheraton, Victoria Island, Lagos... Date: Jan 27, 2018... Time: 10am. It's for a select few but I'll smuggle you in cheesy
Im in Delta state
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by ttmax09(m): 7:56pm On Jan 20, 2018
Tomoyayi:

WHAT IS BITCOIN?

*IT'S CALLED MONKEY BUSINESS* ������

A long time ago in a village far far away.......A lot of monkeys lived near the village.�������

One day a merchant came to the village to buy these monkeys!������

He announced that he will buy the monkeys @ $100 each. ��

The villagers thought that this man is mad.�

They thought how can somebody buy stray monkeys at $100 each?�

Still, some people caught some monkeys and gave it to this merchant and he gave $100 for each monkey. �

This news spread like wildfire and people caught monkeys and sold it to the merchant.�

After a few days, the merchant announced that he will buy monkeys @ 200 each. ���

The lazy villagers also ran around to catch the remaining monkeys!������

They sold the remaining monkeys @ 200 each.�

Then the merchant announced that he will buy monkeys @ 500 each!
������

The villagers start to lose sleep! ... They caught six or seven monkeys, which was all that was left and got 500 each.�������

The villagers were waiting anxiously for the next announcement.�

Then the merchant announced that he is going home for a week. And when he returns, he will buy monkeys @ 1000 each!�����������

He asked his employee to take care of the monkeys he bought. He was alone taking care of all the monkeys in a cage.������������������������������������������������

The merchant went home.�

The villagers were very sad as there were no more monkeys left for them to sell it at $1000 each.☹��

Then the employee told them that he will sell some monkeys @ 700 each secretly. �

This news spread like fire. Since the merchant buys monkey @ 1000 each, there is a 300 profit for each monkey.�

The next day, villagers made a queue near the monkey cage.������������������

The employee sold all the monkeys at 700 each. The rich bought monkeys in big lots. The poor borrowed money from money lenders and also bought monkeys!
��������������������

The villagers took care of their monkeys & waited for the merchant to return. �

But nobody came! ...� Then they ran to the employee...�

But he has already left too !�

The villagers then realised that they have bought the useless worthless stray monkeys @ $700 each and they are now unable to resell them! ��‍♂��‍♂��‍♂��‍♂��‍♂��‍♂��‍♂���������� Nobody has use for stray monkeys....

The rush into trading in Bitcoin is the next *monkey business* ��������������

Once the trading stops who will want to buy a digital code with no intrinsic value?����������

It will make a lot of people bankrupt and a few people filthy rich in this *monkey business*����������. ��

That's how *Monkey Business* works ��������
My people perish 4 lack of knowledge 'smh' undecided undecided
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by wilyparker(m): 9:16pm On Jan 20, 2018
Before you transfer fund or buy airtime on UBA one needs a 4 digit pin
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by Isaacpyo04(m): 9:28pm On Jan 20, 2018
MayorofLagos:
When your phone is stolen the first step is to call the provider and request they kill the sim.
As in like instantly, especially if you know you have so much to lose. Borrow phone from anybody and make the call to your customer centre, they will gladly help.

Change all your passwords, every every. Make you no lose 2-0
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by maasoap(m): 9:36pm On Jan 20, 2018
Rich4god:
na wa for some people...

Everything na fight?
You didn't see the part that said those criminals have an insider that works in card services department of a bank. Every detail was gotten through that person.

Insider can't provide your card details because it is not kept on bank's system, it's a private info. Even if the customer care agent needs, you are the one that will tell him or her. All the frauds in the story that involved online payments could only be of those who stored their atm cards info on their phones

Moreover, if one get robbed of his phone and ATM card at a spot, what else is remaining.
That's it.

1 Like

Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by Rich4god(m): 9:46pm On Jan 20, 2018
maasoap:

Everything na fight?

Insider can't provide your card details because it is not kept on bank's system, it's a private info. Even if the customer care agent needs, you are the one that will tell him or her. All the frauds in the story that involved online payments could only be of those who stored their atm cards info on their phones

That's it.

Guy, with your phone number, an insider can search for your acct number. From your acct number, your first 4/5 digits and last 4/5 digits of your ATM card can be obtained. From this details, ussd banking or mobile banking can be set up successfully. What else does the fraudster need.

Bottom line is... Ensure you protect you alert sim card like a gold. Cos if a talented fraudster gets hold of it, even without insider, he can cause a lot of damage to your account. People don't yet know how porous and vulnerable our money in d bank is just by the invention of mobile and ussd banking.
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by fearNORTH: 10:11pm On Jan 20, 2018
poseidon12:

Threatening you? Has he not been arrested?

Not yet... I'm going to upload his picture here or have him arrested once I relocate from here.
He's a known armed robber and a cultist and I'm not yet ready to expose my family to harm.
He has my pictures and that of my family and we are in same locality.
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by eterisan(m): 10:21pm On Jan 20, 2018
maasoap:

Before OTP, there is a need to provide your atm card details. So, without atm card details, there can't be any talk of OTP.

Payment on site like Alibaba doesn't require OTP.
ever thought of the possibility of stolen phone and stolen wallet and atm.. How person go do OTP if not with card details.. Eh..
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by emmanuelpopson(m): 10:27pm On Jan 20, 2018
Rich4god:

Guy, with your phone number, an insider can search for your acct number. From your acct number, your first 4/5 digits and last 4/5 digits of your ATM card can be obtained. From this details, ussd banking or mobile banking can be set up successfully. What else does the fraudster need.

Bottom line is... Ensure you protect you alert sim card like a gold. Cos if a talented fraudster gets hold of it, even without insider, he can cause a lot of damage to your account. People don't yet know how porous and vulnerable our money in d bank is just by the invention of mobile and ussd banking.

you said it all..I wanna add this to it..while your alert sim card is lost.. one should just call the customer service to block the line instantly... doing that..they won't have access to network and ussd on the lines to perfect their acts..I think doing that,they will be left with no options but to discard the sim card...I repeat..instant blocking of the sim card...

1 Like

Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by Snowkel(m): 11:07pm On Jan 20, 2018
dre11:

[b]…Phones with account details, alerts are targets

…Pick pockets, banker’s connection

As for Nelson Matthew, he stated that he only accepted sim cards of a particular bank ( name withheld) from pickpockets. Explaining, he said that his role was to “do USSD transfer by rolling victims SIM cards. For instance when such sims are given to me, the first thing is to get the person’s account number and the code.
All I need to do is dial *901#. This is followed by a request to create a pin and another request for code. Again, I will dial *565 # which will reveal the ten digits of the account holder’s BVN

Its only access bank that makes use of that USSD code, which means we already know the bank.
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by Icecomrade: 2:38am On Jan 21, 2018
Bolubaba:

It is very very possible as long as it's the sim card/line your bank sends you notification. Immediately I saw how easy it was I had to start using PIN codes on all my lines. Because ones your phone is stolen the next thing for the thief is to switch it off and on switch on it would ask for the pin code.

What would they want to do?
Transfers? Cash withdrawals?

Its still not enough for them to steal your money.

Trust me.
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by Icecomrade: 2:47am On Jan 21, 2018
mitchyy:

You're actually wrong. With Access Bank, all you need is the last 4digits of your BVN in order to make a transfer with your sim. So they are 100% right. I suspect the bank they are referring to is Access or Diamond bank. They are the ones using that short code

You should know that there is a difference between initiate transfer and completing a transfer.

If the last 4 digits of your bvn and the phone number registered on your account is all you need to transfer.

Please close your account with that bank and open an account with another bank. They dont know what they are doing.

Trust me no bank will be this loose.
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by Icecomrade: 2:51am On Jan 21, 2018
benjyyyyy07:
you don't even know anything........
your sim has alot of info about you than you think....
pray and fast it doesn't get in the wrong hands...

quote author=Icecomrade post=64361629]
See how these criminals are fooling the Nigeria Police.

Nobody cannot make withdrawal by been with a persons account details or BVN.

This shows how poorly enlightened our police officers are.

Story
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by Icecomrade: 2:53am On Jan 21, 2018
Kpartners:

You can do that by USSD

USSD would require pin. Some bank would also require token code.
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by Icecomrade: 2:54am On Jan 21, 2018
bily:

Having access to your sim card charges everything. Some of banks ussd banking only require last 4 digit of your bvn or ATM card to initiate a transfer as long as its the registered sim with the bank

ou should know that there is a difference between initiate transfer and completing a transfer.

If the last 4 digits of your bvn and the phone number registered on your account is all you need to transfer.

Please close your account with that bank and open an account with another bank. They dont know what they are doing.

1 Like

Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by Icecomrade: 2:58am On Jan 21, 2018
inze:

Am sorry but it seems you're not enlightened. Would have spilled the information here but some might use it for the wrong purpose.

Let me just laugh at your statement and move on.

This is social media platform.

We simply do not know much about the person on the other end.

Take my word. It takes more than that.
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by Icecomrade: 3:00am On Jan 21, 2018
ivolt:

You know nothing.

Get educated by your bank and stop living in a non existing fear
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by AROZIBE: 6:38am On Jan 21, 2018
dre11:

[b]…Phones with account details, alerts are targets

…Pick pockets, banker’s connection

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/01/extract-bank-details-stolen-phones-withdraw-money-suspects/

And oop has just briefed others on how to about it Hay am finished all this ibo/ igboo boys that works in the bank playing with my account
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by maasoap(m): 8:00am On Jan 21, 2018
Rich4god:

They can obtain four digits through the insider but not card details. They can withdraw money but definitely not online payments. Emphasis on online payments unless they laid their hands on the card.
After reading this thread, I deleted my account numbers from my phonebooks, set pin for my main sim card, deleted my sms and email alerts and hide my mobile banking apps. If I ever lose my phone, na to call my service provider and rush down to the nearest local branches of my banks.
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by sexdoll: 8:03am On Jan 21, 2018
They are not even making enough money from all their shady deals...

If I should start hacking things eh, na one billion dollars me I go dey target.

Such that na only once me I got hit.

Then I will run.

Run forever!

Abi?
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by maasoap(m): 8:04am On Jan 21, 2018
Icecomrade:

ou should know that there is a difference between initiate transfer and completing a transfer.

Yes, you're right. Customers should have the right to chose their pin codes.
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by Obierika(m): 8:20am On Jan 21, 2018
fearNORTH:
Was a victim this last December and my account emptied.

Somehow tracked the guy and got his number and pictures but he has been threatening my life since then

Threatening you on what basis?

He should be in jail!
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by bily(m): 8:45am On Jan 21, 2018
Icecomrade:

We are talking facts, you're telling me to trust you. Wether the banks know what their doing or not is not the bone of contention here.

The simple FACT is with some Banks money from your account can be transferred with such information as stated by the OP.

Istead of challenging the authenticity of the news, we all should be happy such information is being exposed so such banks can improve on their security.

Gtb allowed last 4 digits of ATM card for ussd transactions for years before allowing use of PIN creation, access Bank still allows use of some digits in your BVN

Let's even leave USSD aside, some Banks, all you need to change mobile banking password are already stored on your phone. A smart theif will have a field day. Do you have an idea how many documentations people store on their phone or mail to themselves?
Many people have a digital copy of their international passports on their phones which contains their date of birth, full name, etc, the thief has their SIM card, ATM card..what other information dues a cyber criminal need to exploit you? Even when you call a bank, those are the basic info they ask from you to confirm your identity.

Most of these banks just accept hook, line and sinker what their foreign technology/IT partrecommendations without putting the Nigerian context into consideration.

People should learn how to protect themselves by making use of tools available to them such as sim lock, fingerprint lock, app lock etc.

Almost every app on my phone is locked to my fingerprints, a friend recently collected my phone and was surprised my chrome browser was locked. I told him to use ucbrowser that my chrome is synced with my PC and I have saved password to some sensitive sites.
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by Icecomrade: 10:06am On Jan 21, 2018
bily:

We are talking facts, you're telling me to trust you. Wether the banks know what their doing or not is not the bone of contention here.

The simple FACT is with some Banks money from your account can be transferred with such information as stated by the OP.

Istead of challenging the authenticity of the news, we all should be happy such information is being exposed so such banks can improve on their security.

Gtb allowed last 4 digits of ATM card for ussd transactions for years before allowing use of PIN creation, access Bank still allows use of some digits in your BVN

Let's even leave USSD aside, some Banks, all you need to change mobile banking password are already stored on your phone. A smart theif will have a field day. Do you have an idea how many documentations people store on their phone or mail to themselves?
Many people have a digital copy of their international passports on their phones which contains their date of birth, full name, etc, the thief has their SIM card, ATM card..what other information dues a cyber criminal need to exploit you? Even when you call a bank, those are the basic info they ask from you to confirm your identity.

Most of these banks just accept hook, line and sinker what their foreign technology/IT partrecommendations without putting the Nigerian context into consideration.

People should learn how to protect themselves by making use of tools available to them such as sim lock, fingerprint lock, app lock etc.

Almost every app on my phone is locked to my fingerprints, a friend recently collected my phone and was surprised my chrome browser was locked. I told him to use ucbrowser that my chrome is synced with my PC and I have saved password to some sensitive sites.

Looks like you ve lost touch of where this deliberation is coming from. For the purpose of rwmindee see the emboldened

THE Lagos State Police Command has smashed a syndicate that specialised in dispossessing victims’ phones for the purpose of getting their account details and making withdrawals without the account holder’s knowledge.

The last for digits of your BVN and your phone number is not the only security placed by Acess Bank for a customer to initiate and conclude a USSD transfer.

This is pure ignorance.

Go find out and revert.

The ops just wrote trash.
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by bily(m): 10:54am On Jan 21, 2018
Icecomrade:

Looks like you ve lost touch of where this deliberation is coming from. For the purpose of rwmindee see the emboldened

THE Lagos State Police Command has smashed a syndicate that specialised in dispossessing victims’ phones for the purpose of getting their account details and making withdrawals without the account holder’s knowledge.

The last for digits of your BVN and your phone number is not the only security placed by Acess Bank for a customer to initiate and conclude a USSD transfer.

This is pure ignorance.

Go find out and revert.

The ops just wrote trash.

I don't need to find out something I already know and I have done many times. Although I found out by mistake when my token was no longer working and I decided to make use of their USSD.
You can try it yourself if you have an access Bank account.
This is a fact and others have also attested to it here. so you should be the one to find out and revert
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by 9iceDaniel: 12:23pm On Jan 21, 2018
Icecomrade:

See how these criminals are fooling the Nigeria Police.

Nobody cannot make withdrawal by been with a persons account details or BVN.

This shows how poorly enlightened our police officers are.

you are the one who is poorly enlighten.
What dey said is true, if you doubt me why don't you try Access bank ussd code and see if they will not ask for your last 4bvn number when you want to transfer money
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by Icecomrade: 1:04pm On Jan 21, 2018
9iceDaniel:

you are the one who is poorly enlighten.
What dey said is true, if you doubt me why don't you try Access bank ussd code and see if they will not ask for your last 4bvn number when you want to transfer money

And after providing the 4 BVN digits your transaction is consummated?

Answer
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by mitchyy(f): 1:19pm On Jan 21, 2018
Icecomrade:

You should know that there is a difference between initiate transfer and completing a transfer.

I'm not a dummy when it comes to these things. I'm very well aware of all these and I stated exactly what happens with MY bank. You should ask the bank why they are that loose rather than doubt.
I don't save more then 5k in that account because of that. I know what I said. Confirm from Access Bank yourself
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by mitchyy(f): 1:20pm On Jan 21, 2018
Icecomrade:

And after providing the 4 BVN digits your transaction is consummated?

Answer

Yes it is. It tells you "Verification Successful". I don't know why you all are arguing over this and doubting as if you've ever tried this before. I use Access Bank and I make transfers with just my BVN last 4 digits. They don't ask for anything else
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by mitchyy(f): 1:24pm On Jan 21, 2018
bily:

I don't need to find out something I already know and I have done many times. Although I found out by mistake when my token was no longer working and I decided to make use of their USSD.
You can try it yourself if you have an access Bank account.
This is a fact and others have also attested to it here. so you should be the one to find out and revert

Pls stop explaining. Leave everyone to their doubt and ignorance. See how they are vouching for a bank they don't use or have tried their USSD before, rather than humbly verify
Re: How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects by bily(m): 3:24pm On Jan 21, 2018
mitchyy:

Pls stop explaining. Leave everyone to their doubt and ignorance. See how they are vouching for a bank they don't use or have tried their USSD before, rather than humbly verify

Lol, yes ma'am

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Suspected Cultists Kill A Man In Ebonyi (Disturbing Photos) / Man Kills His Girlfriend And Dumps Her Body At Her Other Boyfriend's Place / Lagos OPC Members Kill Man For Breaking Into Hotel Room During Lovers' Sex Romp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.