Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,711 members, 7,809,698 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

Listening To Music And Songs Are Illegal In Islam: ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Listening To Music And Songs Are Illegal In Islam: ? (2028 Views)

UK Worship Artist Whose Songs Are Sung In American Churches Comes Out As Lesbian / Why Is It That Yoruba Songs Are Sang More Often In Churches? / Gospel Hymns And Songs — ♫Praise & Worship || Prevailing Prayers ♫ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Listening To Music And Songs Are Illegal In Islam: ? by Johnokon(m): 9:25am On Apr 14, 2010
SOMALIA

Somali Islamists silence sound of music
Mogadishu-based radio stations stopped playing all music Tuesday following an ultimatum by hardline Islamist militia, in a sign of the insurgents' tightening grip on the Somali capital.
The city's 14 radio stations turned off the Western, Arabic and modern Somali and other African music that fills up their 18-hour broadcast time after an ultimatum by the Hezb al-Islam group expired.
Hezb al-Islam, which controls patches of the war-wracked Somali capital, had given the popular stations 10 days to shut down "evil" music broadcasts.
"Today we see an official crackdown on the independent media, The local radio stations stopped playing any kind of music or songs after the deadline given by the Islamists came to an end," said Mohamed Ibrahim, an official of the National Union of Somali Journalists.
"We denounce the move as a gross violation against the freedom of expression, because order after order means there will not be any independent media in this country," he told AFP.
The militants' threat affected all radio stations in both government and Islamist-controlled areas of Mogadishu and programme signature tunes were replaced with random animal or vehicle sounds, an AFP correspondent reported.
Hezb al-Islam and the Al Qaeda-linked Shebab militants control much of Mogadishu, the scene of near-daily clashes with the Western-backed Somali government forces.
"The ban was the most appropriate move towards eliminating evil deeds because listening to music and songs are illegal in Islam and anybody who goes against the orders will face consequences," Sheik Mohamed Ibrahim, a top Hezb al-Islam leader, told AFP.
"Praise be to Allah, the local media understood the importance of the decision and they implemented it. So far we don’t hear music from most radios in Mogadishu," he added
Radio executives said they had no choice but to comply.
"We abide by their rules by abstaining from broadcasting music and songs and instead we are using traditional poems from today on," said Mohamed Haji Bare, director general of Danan Radio.
"No one dares disobey the orders otherwise you put your life in danger," said Osman Gure, the director of Radio Shabelle, a popular Mogadishu station.
"This morning I broadcast my programme without the music sound bites. Everything is falling apart in this country and if we ignore what they (Islamists) say, we ignore our safety," said Abdiaziz Mohamed Dirie, an editor of Mogadishu's Simba radio.
In recent years, the insurgents have imposed a series of restrictions such as outlawing watching films and football, ordering men to grow beards and destroying the graves of moderate Islamic clerics.
Offenders of their brand of strict sharia, or Islamic law, are often flogged in public, have their limbs amputated or face a firing squad.
Somalia, a Horn of Africa nation blighted by relentless civil war since 1991, is one of the most dangerous countries for journalists.
Nine journalists were killed there last year by armed militias, who also often kidnap foreign reporters for ransom. (AFP)

My Comment

The extremism of Islamist fundamentals needs be urgently checked-mated to forstall its florish in a peace seeking state like Nigeria. In as much as Somalia is failed, the ugly manifestation of the new forms of sharia(?) in the region informs that the worst of what the fascist can resort to cannot yet be fathomed out. Let our muslim brethren, clerics and leaders actively vocally and visibly rebuff all forms of repugnant impositions that would affect the rights of the others. Let the level of sharia practice to graduate to the level we read in other states. Excuse that the impositors in Somalia are militants or lack understanding of the Holy Book should not be offered as congent reason. The Nigerian populace have suffered innocently from the few , ignorant and militant actors while the vast majority muslims who are knowledgeable and civilized stand and watch. Note that our silence means approval.
Re: Listening To Music And Songs Are Illegal In Islam: ? by jayzeeguy: 3:41pm On Apr 14, 2010
@ Jhonokon

This modern society get use to music and songs, despite the fact that listening to them is haram in Islam, these things psychologically affects muslims from listening or reading the Holy Qur'an. Unfortunately, Muslims youth are use to music everywhere, schools, homes etc.

I recently realised that those of Muslims who busy themselves with listening to musics of any kinds (from various media: mobile,cds, mp3, laptops) and are use to it. They won't have time to study, read the Holy Qur'an on their own, and whenever you put it where they are present they will tell you, you better stop it, because noise/talks is going on, and Islam prevents playing / reading Qur'an while noice/talks is going on, or they will use any sort of excuse. Infact, their heart will gradually start disliking sounds of Qur'an, but they cannot verbally tell you to stop the Reading / Playing it, but alot of friends tell me that and I noticed it too, those of Muslims youth who are music lovers don't have time for Qur'an anymore, except in the mosque where it has to be recited whether they like it there or not. This is my view.

I will appreciate comments from Muslims who know this is happening.

For more details regarding whether listening to Music is haram or not visit http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/5000/listening%20to%20music
Re: Listening To Music And Songs Are Illegal In Islam: ? by jagunlabi(m): 6:52pm On Apr 14, 2010
shocked KAI! See arabic mind bondage at work o! undecided
Re: Listening To Music And Songs Are Illegal In Islam: ? by Johnokon(m): 9:56pm On Apr 14, 2010
@ Jayzee. I have visited the link you posted and got the following concluding excerpt from Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid ;

"Perhaps – for fair-minded and objective readers – this summary will make it clear that the view that music is permissible has no firm basis. There are no two views on this matter. So we must advise in the best manner, and then take it step by step and denounce music"

Accepted that It is obligatory to impose these restrictions in a sharia practicing state. In Nigeria for instance where some states practice sharia and mildly enforce its principles, was consideration made towards "others" who exercise their liberal right not to be guided by such laws? These "others" refers to non muslims having right to dwell any where within Nigeria. Should they be denied rights to listen to FM music, watch public films, football or must they be ordered to grow beards if men? Are you implying that when the extremism fully rears its head and is to be enforced totally, these rights of individuals would be violated? I believe the Quran must have made provision for tolerance of the infidels or arnis who want to exercise their religious freedom-freedom to practice what they believe is right for them as long as it does not compromise or threaten the existence of the other individual. WE DONT WANT TO WAKE TOMMOROW AND BE INFORMED THAT THE SA WORLD CUP WOULD NOT BE AIRED ON NIGERIAN TV BECAUSE IT DISTRACTS OR INFRINGES AGAINST THE SHARIA PRINCIPLES. CAN WE KNOW ALL THAT THE LAW PROHIBITS SO THAT WE ARE NOT AMBUSHED IN FUTURE ? embarassed sad
Re: Listening To Music And Songs Are Illegal In Islam: ? by nopuqeater: 3:34am On Apr 15, 2010
Islam does not forbid music and or song in its or their entirity. Afterall, recitation of Quran is almost like singing, reciter is to beautify the voice during recitation. Singing is permitted in time of happiness. Allah can be praised, Islam can be romanticized, Muhammad (AS) can be spoken about by singing it.

Arabs, in my view are not the yardmark of Islam. Quran is. Muhammad was. His companions were. The nxt generation and the next were. After these, I am certain that any deviation, by anyone, group, nation, arab or not is at best temporarily hypocritical, until returning to the Quran and Sunnah. At worse outright hypocrite because of lack of beneficial knowledge.
Re: Listening To Music And Songs Are Illegal In Islam: ? by jagunlabi(m): 6:00am On Apr 15, 2010
How can any african willingly submit themselves to such an experience of bondage is beyond me. I can understand the arabs doing it, afterall this "way of life" originated from them, but africans partaking in it? I just don't get it? Why undecided

If this "no music outside islamic recitations" nonsense ever takes root in northern nigeria, i can foresee a future of mass migrations of the more progressive minded northerners to the southern regions.
Re: Listening To Music And Songs Are Illegal In Islam: ? by jagunlabi(m): 6:47am On Apr 15, 2010
Well, i guess it is all about having an experience in this reality that we find ourselves in. There is always that freewill(even if limited to a certain extent) to choose what we would like to experience.

If i, as a nigerian and out of freewill, choose to experience a life of utter repression, i guess i would become a muslim and move to somalia or to northern nigeria in the sharia regions. It is all about personal choices.

Enjoy your experiences because that is all they are, experiences. Because when you die, you've just logged out, the experiences have all come to an end, and that's the end of the "interractive repression show".

So, enjoy ya repressive experiences, all ye muslims smiley
Re: Listening To Music And Songs Are Illegal In Islam: ? by Johnokon(m): 9:28am On Apr 15, 2010
Nigeria, is for every nigerian to peacefully dwell in. There are basic rights that every individual need not contest to enjoy. These are civilized and social status enjoyed in all  peace seeking parts of the globe. In Nigeria, 12 states have implemented sharia. These states have certain percentage of citizens that want to enjoy civilized existence(not sharia cloaked). These include grooming (not being compelled to wear beard) listening to music (of any kind) watching movies ( including adult muvies) watching football(incl world cup or whatever, ) These are sometime offered by public  or government media. Am presently in Egypt and have dwelled in sudan, president al bashir of sudan dances to music, but bans alcohol, shocked egypt dances and sells alcohol cool, somalia bans alcohol, music, forces wearing of beard, bans watching of movie and football shocked, yet they all practice sharia. In Nigeria, we are always extreme, I am being pre-emptive not to wake up one morning and one sharia insistent muslim leader president (albeit the PDP rotationary it must come from the North brohaha) bring the full wrath of sharia applications on Nigerians because of his convictions premised on what he read from the Quran. angry angry angry
Re: Listening To Music And Songs Are Illegal In Islam: ? by Johnokon(m): 9:51am On Apr 15, 2010
Infact come to think of it, how would our radio and TV stations look like with only islamic recitations and 'music' chanting-kind-of verses only being heard? LOL just back to stone ages would Nigeria be, yea like Mogadishu is becoming or the deserted remotes of the 12 states to be, embarassed draging Nigeria back to ill-civilisation
Re: Listening To Music And Songs Are Illegal In Islam: ? by nopuqeater: 11:39pm On Apr 15, 2010
@Jagunlabi: « #5 on: Today at 06:00:25 AM »
How can any african willingly submit themselves to such an experience of bondage is beyond me. I can understand the arabs doing it, afterall this "way of life" originated from them, but africans partaking in it? I just don't get it? Why
Jagunabi's head is empty because I do not see other way but just that. Afterall, he has not even seen his own brain. Before Africa or what you belief in jagunlabi the atheist guy, And before the Arabs, there was God, the same Who is ALIVE today. And Islam is not african and arabs, alone. The White Europeans are willingly accepting it. You are too much by your thinking that is.

If this "no music outside islamic recitations" nonsense ever takes root in northern nigeria, i can foresee a future of mass migrations of the more progressive minded northerners to the southern regions.
My Islam is not rooted in Arabic mindset and definitely not in Northern Nigerian mindset. Afterall, neither group is 100% Islamic, and just from either ethnic bloodline will not qualify you for paradise.

« #6 on: Today at 06:47:06 AM »
Well, i guess it is all about having an experience in this reality that we find ourselves in. There is always that freewill(even if limited to a certain extent) to choose what we would like to experience.

If i, as a nigerian and out of freewill, choose to experience a life of utter repression, i guess i would become a muslim and move to somalia or to northern nigeria in the sharia regions. It is all about personal choices.
are you for real? Are there no Yoruba Muslims? I know many and I am one of them. And in England, there are many white Englishman muslims. And Islam encourages full education and complete wealth. A well known prayer of supplication in the Quran is that of Surah baqarah "Oh Allah give me the best of this world, the best of the hereafter, and protect me from against Hellfire".

Enjoy your experiences because that is all they are, experiences. Because when you die, you've just logged out, the experiences have all come to an end, and that's the end of the "interractive repression show".

So, enjoy ya repressive experiences, all ye muslims
I bet a score of Muslims from Northern Nigeria, and also Southern Nigeria are more successful than you, both in brain and brawn; wealthier. Life is better for them than you. Are you therefore not in worse shape of repression?

@Johnokon: « #7 on: Today at 09:28:21 AM »
Nigeria, is for every nigerian to peacefully dwell in. There are basic rights that every individual need not contest to enjoy. These are civilized and social status enjoyed in all peace seeking parts of the globe. In Nigeria, 12 states have implemented sharia. These states have certain percentage of citizens that want to enjoy civilized existence(not sharia cloaked). These include grooming (not being compelled to wear beard) listening to music (of any kind) watching movies ( including adult muvies) watching football(incl world cup or whatever, ) These are sometime offered by public or government media. Am presently in Egypt and have dwelled in sudan, president al bashir of sudan dances to music, but bans alcohol, egypt dances and sells alcohol , somalia bans alcohol, music, forces wearing of beard, bans watching of movie and football , yet they all practice sharia. In Nigeria, we are always extreme, I am being pre-emptive not to wake up one morning and one sharia insistent muslim leader president (albeit the PDP rotationary it must come from the North brohaha) bring the full wrath of sharia applications on Nigerians because of his convictions premised on what he read from the Quran.
In reality civilized existence you are talking about is nudity, that you hate so much that Sharia stands opposing it. I do not support the people who are lukewarm sharia proponent, who should know that the nonmuslims are not to be encroutched upon. Allah says that believing women should wear clothing when they are outside in order that they are identified as Muslims. You are correct that the hypocrites in Islam are now the leadership, the reason I do not respect or emulate any of them.

« #8 on: Today at 09:51:28 AM »
Infact come to think of it, how would our radio and TV stations look like with only islamic recitations and 'music' chanting-kind-of verses only being heard? LOL just back to stone ages would Nigeria be, yea like Mogadishu is becoming or the deserted remotes of the 12 states to be, draging Nigeria back to ill-civilisation
If people dont stand for what they belief in, everyone will fall for what others want them to belief. I am sure that those hypocrite Muslims dancing to belly dancing music of Egypt, drinking alcohol, if they invite your disbeleiever soul to join them, we will no longer read a piece of critism from you, ever.
You remind me of a corrupt mind. And not all Islamic is waht you think they are. But no Islamic music should be mondane, meaningless and human worship and praising, and agitating sexual overtures.
Re: Listening To Music And Songs Are Illegal In Islam: ? by Johnokon(m): 2:44am On Apr 16, 2010
nopuqeater:

@Johnokon: « #7 on: Today at 09:28:21 AM » In reality civilized existence you are talking about is nudity,
I never talked about any nudity and never implied anything with such related semblance. It might be rather a fiction of your imagination. However, is wrapping of self like mummies what your idea of civilization should be? Modest is the term. Where the other however fails to comply, you let the law (if such existed) apply. A law that all parties are comfortable with and not one imposed at the loathe of the other parties.

nopuqeater:
that you hate so much that Sharia stands opposing it.
Sharia opposes nudity (I personally do not approve either) but Muslims in Somalia apply threat to those who watch a movie (that does not promote cramming or chanting of Quran all day) compels untidiness (wearing beard). For goodness sake what has watching football and listening to (descent) FM music gotten to do with immorality? Why stand to opposed them. This is my concern for Nigeria when it may be imported which is quite likely. Islam is not meant to be compelled or it principle applied to affect others (Human rights) why enforce an Islamic  kind of lifestyle on an adult of sound mind who has chosen the kind of life he felt is befitting to him just for  the sake of your individual believe. Is that Islam?

nopuqeater:

I do not support the people who are lukewarm sharia proponent, who should know that the nonmuslims are not to be encroutched upon.
I do not understand. You implying that non muslims should be forced to wear mummies wraps and Obama should grow bush? Lol. grin

nopuqeater:

. Allah says that believing women should wear clothing when they are outside in order that they are identified as Muslims.

is Clothing now what should be used to identify Muslim women? What about Muslim men, unkempt beard? Scorched forehead? Or hidden dagger? shocked

nopuqeater:
You are correct that the hypocrites in Islam are now the leadership, the reason I do not respect or emulate any of them.
Then speak it out to them and save some souls in sharia domains that may be slaughtered by the hypocrites-but my reservation, you want sharia doctrine applied even on them non-muslim. Another inconsistent hypocrisy cry

nopuqeater:
You remind me of a corrupt mind.

What informed your judgment? In fact what has corruption gotten to do with imposition of hypo critic religious extremism on your peace loving neighbor? I am not a politician. My mind is sound, orient and assured. Is yours? Beware or soiling your palms with innocent blood. It’s not healthy.

(1) (Reply)

GRACE: Why Works? Let Us Break Bread. / Is The Sacrament Of Matrimony 4 Sale? / Mohammed – P3dofil3, Rapist, Thief, Terrorist, Murderer & Liar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.