Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year (3051 Views)

Corps Member Recreates Photo Of Her Mom Taken During NYSC Program 32 Years Ago / My Girl Friend Is About Going For NYSC Service / What's Your Take On 2-Year NYSC Service? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Milo30(m): 8:51am On Jan 22, 2018
Corper we! Incredible and gallant youth of Nigeria (age is just a number, right?), here is my two kobo advice on how to save during your service year...

NB: ‘Corper’ is an informal word for ‘NYSC corps member’ before the grammar police will come for my head.
Alright let’s get to it...

BACKGROUND THOUGHTS
The ultimate goal of having a savings is to invest it, grow yourself and/or your pocket. You have to keep this at the back of your mind at all times. But the definition of an investment is left to your discretion. It could be to learn a new skill (entrepreneurial training or professional course), to buy a new gear (cinematographers, craftsmen, musicians, e.t.c), to grow more money (pure investors) or to invest in a business (new or existing business). However savings are also used for rainy days (when life presents you with bigger challenges).
Make sure you are also learning what to do with your savings. SAVING MONEY is like STORING SEEDS. The goal is to plant and harvest, not to feed weevils and birds (inflation, bank charges, internet data and petty expenses) or ultimately consume it.
I shall be using the current federal monthly allowance (N19, 800 ≈ N20, 000) as the sample figure for my recommendations.

COMMON THOUGHTS
1. How much should I save?
A village corper should be able to save more than a city corper. A village corper goes almost everywhere on foot; PPA, CDS, church, mosque, market, their friend's house, e.t.c. Some of them don’t have access to 3G service or higher, so their internet use is dropped to a minimum. Instead of lamenting about it, use it to your advantage. Save up! A city corper has to cope with a higher standard of living. I was a city corper who had to ply the stretch of town from where I lived to my PPA and CDS venue. Then talk about meetings and church activities. So if you are a city corper don't lose your mind because a village corper has a larger savings than you. Instead, use the city life to your advantage. Grow your connections, your skills, your knowledge, e.t.c.

Some village corpers can save up to 80% of their allowance (N16, 000) monthly, while city corpers can vary theirs depending on their expenses. The money books teach that a minimum of 10% (N2000 a month) should be your mark. My advice is that you save a minimum of %15 (N3000) a month. It would hardly strain you, at the same time, you end up with N36, 000 rather than N24, 000 (if you save 10%) at the end of your service year.

At first it may seem very small. You will definitely see those saving up to N10, 000 a month (N120, 000 at the end) and feel like you are just playing. But when you have like 3 months to POP, and you have nothing put aside, you'll be looking for how to save even as little as N10, 000 in the end.

Another way to build your savings is by getting another source of income. Take extra lessons or work per time somewhere. It helps a great deal. Explore the internet for articles on this.

2. Where do I save?
Keeping your savings in a regular savings account is disadvantageous. That's because the interest rate is not even enough to pay for 'ATM card maintenance' *clears_throat* not to talk of SMS Alert charge or any other deductions that banks make. So here are a few ways you can consider:
i. Cash: I don't advice anyone to save in cash actually. It requires an incredible level of self discipline and it is risky. But you can use a piggy bank (Asusu) or a container with a tight neck that you can squeeze the money through.
ii. Piggybank.ng: This is a website run by VFD Microfinance bank based in Lagos. It allows you to use auto save option, doesn't have all those petty charges and gives some interest. At the end of your service year, you just withdraw your money. There's also a 'safe lock' option that works like a fixed deposit account. It has a higher interest rate, currently as high as 10.95%. Here is a referral link https:///xkXfs7
iii. Investment pool (a.k.a Contribution): You can start a cooperative society with a group of trusted friends. Depending on your number, this can serve as a means of savings. I'll advice it to be in multiples of 3 (3, 6 or 9 people). This allows you to accumulate a chunk of money and put in your savings in ‘one go’. If you contribute say, N5000 in a 3 man group, you each get N15, 000 every three months. In 6 man group, you each get N30, 000. You just put that in your savings directly. For the sake of future endeavours, contribution money is best meant to be invested.

3. When I successfully save through my service year, what next?
You don't want to end up with N200, 000 and not know what to do with it. Yeah, it is a bad dream, a bloody nightmare. Ever wondered how the prodigal son ended up with pigs? Yes, that's how. Have a shit ton of money and not know what to do with it. It is what Nigerians call 'Money miss road' (Pidgin English proverb). You ought to start learning what to do with your money before the end of your service year. Go and read 'The richest man in Babylon'. It is available for free download; here is a link: http://www.ccsales.com/the_richest_man_in_babylon.pdf , that should get you started.

4. I can't seem to develop a savings habit, what do I do?
That is a result of the way you think. I once talked with a man about his son. He came to pay the “boy's” school fees online at a cybercafé. I asked him why he was paying school fees for a guy about to begin university and he answered 'My son and money are like goat and yam. You know you can't keep them in the same place' LOL. What it simply means is that the guy seriously lacked financial literacy. School fees are a form of investment in one's future. This may be common knowledge to most people, but believe me some people are yet to tame the financial ‘goat’ in them.
You have to learn financial literacy. Either you get a financial mentor or you teach yourself, at least until you find a mentor. For financially buoyant corps members, I suggest that you follow Subomi Plumptre on social media. She is currently running investment classes too. The site is www.subomiplumptre.com/investment, you can sign up for it.
This will gear you up to begin to think smarter financially.

CONCLUDING THOUGHTS
Corper we! One!! or Wa!! Anyone wey una like, hehe.
God will not be your financial secretary or stock broker. He is the King of the universe, not your genie. You have to roll up your sleeves and work hard. Pray for direction and that He blesses the work of your hands. Hard work has no replacement. I am not talking of strictly difficult labour. I am talking about putting in genuine effort until you get expected results.
Keep your eyes on the price. If your goal is to bring a wall down, your goal should read ‘Bring wall down’ period! Whether you bulldoze it or use a wrecking ball or attach strings and pull it down with a truck, the goal is to pull the wall down.

“If I set for myself a task, be it ever so trifling, I shall see it through. How else shall I have confidence in myself to do important things? Should I say to myself, 'For a hundred days as I walk across the bridge into the city, I will pick from the road a pebble and cast it into the stream,' I would do it.” – Richest Man in Babylon

Be strong and of good courage.
©Meo_joule 18/01/2018

Ogbeche77, yokiti, CrazyMan

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by marshalldgreat(m): 9:12am On Jan 22, 2018

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Soteriahascome: 11:47am On Jan 23, 2018
Milo30:
Corper we! Incredible and gallant youth of Nigeria (age is just a number, right?), here is my two kobo advice on how to save during your service year...

NB: ‘Corper’ is an informal word for ‘NYSC corps member’ before the grammar police will come for my head.

BACKGROUND THOUGHTS
The ultimate goal of having a savings is to invest it, grow yourself and/or your pocket. You have to keep this at the back of your mind at all times. But the definition of an investment is left to your discretion. It could be to learn a new skill (entrepreneurial training or professional course), to buy a new gear (cinematographers, craftsmen, musicians, e.t.c), to grow more money (pure investors) or to invest in a business (new or existing business). However savings are also used for rainy days (when life presents you with bigger challenges).
Make sure you are also learning what to do with your savings. SAVING MONEY is like STORING SEEDS. The goal is to plant and harvest, not to feed weevils and birds (inflation, bank charges, internet data and petty expenses) or ultimately consume it.
I shall be using the current federal monthly allowance (N19, 800 ≈ N20, 000) as the sample figure for my recommendations.

COMMON THOUGHTS
A village corper should be able to save more than a city corper. A village corper goes almost everywhere on foot; PPA, CDS, church, mosque, market, their friend's house, e.t.c. Some of them don’t have access to 3G service or higher, so their internet use is dropped to a minimum. Instead of lamenting about it, use it to your advantage. Save up! A city corper has to cope with a higher standard of living. I was a city corper who had to ply the stretch of town from where I lived to my PPA and CDS venue. Then talk about meetings and church activities. So if you are a city corper don't lose your mind because a village corper has a larger savings than you. Instead, use the city life to your advantage. Grow your connections, your skills, your knowledge, e.t.c.

Some village corpers can save up to 80% of their allowance (N16, 000) monthly, while city corpers can vary theirs depending on their expenses. The money books teach that a minimum of 10% (N2000 a month) should be your mark. My advice is that you save a minimum of %15 (N3000) a month. It would hardly strain you, at the same time, you end up with N36, 000 rather than N24, 000 (if you save 10%) at the end of your service year.

At first it may seem very small. You will definitely see those saving up to N10, 000 a month (N120, 000 at the end) and feel like you are just playing. But when you have like 3 months to POP, and you have nothing put aside, you'll be looking for how to save even as little as N10, 000 in the end.

Another way to build your savings is by getting another source of income. Take extra lessons or work per time somewhere. It helps a great deal. Explore the internet for articles on this.

2. Where do I save?
Keeping your savings in a regular savings account is disadvantageous. That's because the interest rate is not even enough to pay for 'ATM card maintenance' *clears_throat* not to talk of SMS Alert charge or any other deductions that banks make. So here are a few ways you can consider:
i. Cash: I don't advice anyone to save in cash actually. It requires an incredible level of self discipline and it is risky. But you can use a piggy bank (Asusu) or a container with a tight neck that you can squeeze the money through.
ii. Piggybank.ng: This is a website run by VFD Microfinance bank based in Lagos. It allows you to use auto save option, doesn't have all those petty charges and gives some interest. At the end of your service year, you just withdraw your money. There's also a 'safe lock' option that works like a fixed deposit account. It has a higher interest rate, currently as high as 10.95%. Here is a referral link https:///xkXfs7
iii. Investment pool (a.k.a Contribution): You can start a cooperative society with a group of trusted friends. Depending on your number, this can serve as a means of savings. I'll advice it to be in multiples of 3 (3, 6 or 9 people). This allows you to accumulate a chunk of money and put in your savings in ‘one go’. If you contribute say, N5000 in a 3 man group, you each get N15, 000 every three months. In 6 man group, you each get N30, 000. You just put that in your savings directly. For the sake of future endeavours, contribution money is best meant to be invested.

You don't want to end up with N200, 000 and not know what to do with it. Yeah, it is a bad dream, a bloody nightmare. Ever wondered how the prodigal son ended up with pigs? Yes, that's how. Have a shit ton of money and not know what to do with it. It is what Nigerians call 'Money miss road' (Pidgin English proverb). You ought to start learning what to do with your money before the end of your service year. Go and read 'The richest man in Babylon'. It is available for free download; here is a link: http://www.ccsales.com/the_richest_man_in_babylon.pdf , that should get you started.

That is a result of the way you think. I once talked with a man about his son. He came to pay the “boy's” school fees online at a cybercafé. I asked him why he was paying school fees for a guy about to begin university and he answered 'My son and money are like goat and yam. You know you can't keep them in the same place' LOL. What it simply means is that the guy seriously lacked financial literacy. School fees are a form of investment in one's future. This may be common knowledge to most people, but believe me some people are yet to tame the financial ‘goat’ in them.
You have to learn financial literacy. Either you get a financial mentor or you teach yourself, at least until you find a mentor. For financially buoyant corps members, I suggest that you follow Subomi Plumptre on social media. She is currently running investment classes too. The site is www.subomiplumptre.com/investment, you can sign up for it.

CONCLUDING THOUGHTS
God will not be your financial secretary or stock broker. He is the King of the universe, not your genie. You have to roll up your sleeves and work hard. Pray for direction and that He blesses the work of your hands. Hard work has no replacement. I am not talking of strictly difficult labour. I am talking about putting in genuine effort until you get expected results.
Keep your eyes on the price. If your goal is to bring a wall down, your goal should read ‘Bring wall down’ period! Whether you bulldoze it or use a wrecking ball or attach strings and pull it down with a truck, the goal is to pull the wall down.

“If I set for myself a task, be it ever so trifling, I shall see it through. How else shall I have confidence in myself to do important things? Should I say to myself, 'For a hundred days as I walk across the bridge into the city, I will pick from the road a pebble and cast it into the stream,' I would do it.” – Richest Man in Babylon

©Meo_joule 18/01/2018

Wonderful write up!
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by FunnyDude(m): 8:50pm On Jan 23, 2018
Rubbish article. Easier said than done
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Milo30(m): 10:06pm On Jan 23, 2018
Soteriahascome:

Wonderful write up!
Thanks
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Milo30(m): 10:13pm On Jan 23, 2018
FunnyDude:
Rubbish article. Easier said than done
I am currently a Batch A Stream corps member. This article is first hand information comprising of my experience and that of fellow corps members. I have summarized it so that it wouldn't be too lengthy. However, feel free to specifically dispute any part of it, and I will discuss it in more detail with you. Thanks for the feedback
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by FunnyDude(m): 10:19pm On Jan 23, 2018
Milo30:

I am currently a Batch A Stream corps member. This article is first hand information comprising of my experience and that of fellow corps members. I have summarized it so that it wouldn't be too lengthy. However, feel free to specifically dispute any part of it, and I will discuss it in more detail with you. Thanks for the feedback
With the way prices of food and other things has skyrocheted , you think it will be easy to save. Assuming such person has people relying on him at month end, how will such person save.? So please target those one's that have nobody looking upto them for stipends or those earning state allawee combined with federal
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Milo30(m): 2:14am On Jan 24, 2018
FunnyDude:

With the way prices of food and other things has skyrocheted , you think it will be easy to save. Assuming such person has people relying on him at month end, how will such person save.? So please target those one's that have nobody looking upto them for stipends or those earning state allawee combined with federal
1. Whether you have people looking up to you or not, money will always find a way to be spent. N200 is N200, whether you give your brother, maisuya, a taximan or whosoever. Savings is a way of securing future spending. If you spend all today, what happens to tomorrow?
2. I have come to realize something. Sometimes we make the mistake of catering for people's excesses, at our own expense. Before you convince yourself that giving money out to somebody is absolutely worth it (i.e. if you don't previously owe them directly or it isn't a health maintenance case) ask yourself this, 'If I leave this world today, or if I loose my source of income today, will this person die or will they find somebody else to continue from where I stopped?' Anybody who decides to hate you for trying to build your own future should be suspected. If you build a more stable financial life tomorrow, wouldn't you all still benefit from it?
3. True success is collective, not individual. Carry your family/friends along as you grow yourself. Don't be playing the 'Jesus' card for self gratification or whatever reason. People learn habits when you teach them. If I give you N50 everyday, after a while you get used to it. The day I stop giving you N50, you will automatically resent me. This happens a lot in families. Teach your siblings how to fish. If they decide to 'neglect' you tomorrow after they attain wealth, it is 300 times better than if they resent you because you can't give them money like you used to. You will become 'nothing' before them.
Please save. The experience will be difficult but you won't regret it. On the other hand, you will most likely regret it if you don't.

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Nobody: 7:30am On Jan 24, 2018
is it possible to get loan of 80k as a corps member?
Milo30:

BACKGROUND THOUGHTS

COMMON THOUGHTS

2. Where do I save?

CONCLUDING THOUGHTS

©Meo_joule 18/01/2018

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Milo30(m): 12:40pm On Jan 24, 2018
dayo2me:
is it possible to get loan of 80k as a corps member?
Yes it is. But it depends on who you are requesting the loan from, if there will be interest and what you are giving as collateral. A fellow corps member can even give you such a loan. But the most popular source of loan for corps members is the Bank of Industry (BOI) loan. They have various loan schemes but the popular one I've heard of is 2 million naira to corps members who want to start a business. The collateral is the NYSC certificate and no interest is attached. Fore more info: http://www.boi.ng/bank-of-industry-boi-graduate-entrepreneurship-fund-gef-for-nysc-members/
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jan 24, 2018
Milo30:

Yes it is. But it depends on who you are requesting the loan from, if there will be interest and what you are giving as collateral. A fellow corps member can even give you such a loan. But the most popular source of loan for corps members is the Bank of Industry (BOI) loan. They have various loan schemes but the popular one I've heard of is 2 million naira to corps members who want to start a business. The collateral is the NYSC certificate and no interest is attached. Fore more info: http://www.boi.ng/bank-of-industry-boi-graduate-entrepreneurship-fund-gef-for-nysc-members/
Thanks so much. Let me brief you what I intend to use it for. I am an Android app developer and a Desktop Software developer, I have account with fiverr and upwork as a freelancer but I don't have a Laptop to make freelance job easy for me. I heard someone saying that i can get a loan worth of 100k if I have genuine explanation of what I want to use it for, that's why I asked you the question.
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Milo30(m): 3:43pm On Jan 24, 2018
dayo2me:
Thanks so much. Let me brief you what I intend to use it for. I am an Android app developer and a Desktop Software developer, I have account with fiverr and upwork as a freelancer but I don't have a Laptop to make freelance job easy for me. I heard someone saying that i can get a loan worth of 100k if I have genuine explanation of what I want to use it for, that's why I asked you the question.
The problem is not really getting the loan. The problem is how to pay it back. You must have a solid plan on how to pay back for you to convince someone to loan you that kind of money. Another approach is to split the loan across different people e.g get 4 people to loan you 20k each. It all boils down to how you intend to pay back.
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Mustack: 4:41pm On Jan 24, 2018
Milo30:

another advice for corper serving in the village, use your allawee to stock up food items irrespective of your state or ppa and sell them off at the later stage of you're service year... that's what am doing 4 bags of local rice at n6500 and my budget is to sell them @ n10000 and as at the moment it sells at n7000.. that's how it will keep increasing........... be wise and be man enough to have a saving habit... don't let you nysc year to become 'Now Your Struggle Continue' after that one year...
stocked rice gradually moved to #8,000 now and five bags in store....

more I think I will come up with another strategy am use and it can serve a ways of saving during the NySC year

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Mustack: 4:43pm On Jan 24, 2018
FunnyDude:

I have a lot if ppl relying on me.. I stated it clear to them about my plans... I have my gf and my younger ones...
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Mustack: 4:48pm On Jan 24, 2018
Milo30:

1. Whether you have people looking up to you or not, money will always find a way to be spent. N200 is N200, whether you give your brother, maisuya, a taximan or whosoever. Savings is a way of securing future spending. If you spend all today, what happens to tomorrow?
2. I have come to realize something. Sometimes we make the mistake of catering for people's excesses, at our own expense. Before you convince yourself that giving money out to somebody is absolutely worth it (i.e. if you don't previously owe them directly or it isn't a health maintenance case) ask yourself this, 'If I leave this world today, or if I loose my source of income today, will this person die or will they find somebody else to continue from where I stopped?' Anybody who decides to hate you for trying to build your own future should be suspected. If you build a more stable financial life tomorrow, wouldn't you all still benefit from it?
3. True success is collective, not individual. Carry your family/friends along as you grow yourself. Don't be playing the 'Jesus' card for self gratification or whatever reason. People learn habits when you teach them. If I give you N50 everyday, after a while you get used to it. The day I stop giving you N50, you will automatically resent me. This happens a lot in families. Teach your siblings how to fish. If they decide to 'neglect' you tomorrow after they attain wealth, it is 300 times better than if they resent you because you can't give them money like you used to. You will become 'nothing' before them.
Please save. The experience will be difficult but you won't regret it. On the other hand, you will most likely regret it if you don't.
bro is just like you're using microscope or telescope to relay the. future.... experience a after service is terrible my ppl..... I have known this and am seriously working on this to become myself.... note you said no matter I should pull the wall of Jericho down to attain my aim... you just gave me another motor....
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Mustack: 4:50pm On Jan 24, 2018
Milo30:

I learn that they give loan to corper who already have a registered CAC. how true is this?
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Milo30(m): 7:01pm On Jan 24, 2018
Mustack:

another advice for corper serving in the village, use your allawee to stock up food items irrespective of your state or ppa and sell them off at the later stage of you're service year... that's what am doing 4 bags of local rice at n6500 and my budget is to sell them @ n10000 and as at the moment it sells at n7000.. that's how it will keep increasing........... be wise and be man enough to have a saving habit... don't let you nysc year to become 'Now Your Struggle Continue' after that one year...
Wow. This is great, thanks for sharing
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Milo30(m): 7:04pm On Jan 24, 2018
Mustack:

I have a lot if ppl relying on me.. I stated it clear to them about my plans... I have my gf and my younger ones...
This is the way to go. Thumbs up bro
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Milo30(m): 7:07pm On Jan 24, 2018
Mustack:

bro is just like you're using microscope or telescope to relay the. future.... experience a after service is terrible my ppl..... I have known this and am seriously working on this to become myself.... note you said no matter I should pull the wall of Jericho down to attain my aim... you just gave me another motor....
Thanks for the feedback sir. Keep on keeping on, keep moving forward. The Lord is your strength
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Milo30(m): 7:08pm On Jan 24, 2018
Mustack:

I learn that they give loan to corper who already have a registered CAC. how true is this?
Yes, it is true. A registered business name is needed to access BOI loan.
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Mustack: 9:06pm On Jan 24, 2018
thanks milo30

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by femora007(m): 11:05pm On Jan 24, 2018
Milo30:

Yes, it is true. A registered business name is needed to access BOI loan.
is the loan for serving corp members only or those that have passed out of service can apply too. And what is the process of application?
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Milo30(m): 12:55pm On Jan 25, 2018
femora007:
is the loan for serving corp members only or those that have passed out of service can apply too. And what is the process of application?
If you haven't passed out for more than two years by now, you can apply. Follow this link http://www.boi.ng/bank-of-industry-boi-graduate-entrepreneurship-fund-gef-for-nysc-members/ and visit any BOI branch near you for further inquiries
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Milo30(m): 12:57pm On Jan 25, 2018
Mustack:

Yes it is true
Re: The Mystery Of Savings During Nysc Service Year by Mustack: 8:54pm On Mar 13, 2018
Mustack:

more I think I will come up with another strategy am use and it can serve a ways of saving during the NySC year

(1) (Reply)

10 Important NYSC Terms You Must Know (before Pulsetv Embarrass You) / Nysc Registration : No Details Found. / Wanted: A Good Place In Abuja For Nysc Primary Assignment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.