Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,764 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:56 PM

After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? (23362 Views)

What Kind Of House Can I Build With 3m / Can I Build This Type Of House In Three Months? / Preventive Measures When Buying Land In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 22, 2018
The idea of buying land and building a dream home on it is appealing to many people. But before you break ground, there are several factors you need to consider.

Building a house after buying land
Your first step should be to determine whether you can build on that land at all and, if so, if there are any restrictions due to the topography of the site and zoning restrictions. An experienced local builder can help you navigate those issues.

You also need to meet with a lender experienced in construction loans who can help you understand your financing options and pre-approve you for a loan based on your individual financial needs.

In general, construction loans for a build-on-your-own lot or custom home—I’ll explain those terms next—require you to make a down payment of 20% to 25% on the entire cost of building the home including permits, site preparation and the construction itself. Most lenders will finance a construction project for a year, and then when the house is complete, they require you to refinance into a permanent loan for the property.

Since you already own the land, your costs to build a house could be significantly lower.

Your next decision depends on your budget and your vision for your home. You can choose between a “build-on-your-lot” builder who offers customizable floor plans, a design-build firm that combines the architectural design of your home and the actual construction within one company, or you can opt to hire a separate architect and builder.

Build-On-Your-Lot Builder
Most build-on-your-lot builders have a library of floor plans you can choose from, but they vary in how much you can customize the plans.

Do some research into companies in your area online to find out which builders have experience building the type of home you want and already work on land similar to yours. You can get ideas from builder websites for floor plans and prices.

Often these builders have a design center or offer you a choice of specific products for your home. While this can save you money, make sure these products match your design ideas.

Always check out the warranty offered by builders.

Design-Build
A design-build firm works with you to plan your home from the ground up and is similar to a build-on-your-own lot builder, except that each project is usually a custom design rather than one based on existing floor plans.

Most design-build firms have an in-house architect or contract with architects to design your home who will work with the actual building team. Sometimes an interior designer will be part of the company.

Architect
You can opt to hire a builder first and then find an architect to design your home, or you can choose an architect first and then find a builder.

In this case, your home will be created by the architect according to your vision and the architect’s ideas. If you choose this route, make sure the architect and builder are comfortable working together and both are confident they can meet your budget.

Building a home on your land can be a great experience, but take the time to research your land, your financial options and a variety of local builders before you decide which to choose.

Always have a local attorney with experience in construction law review the contracts before you start the project.

Source: https://www.realtor.com/advice/buy/how-do-i-build-a-house-on-my-land/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jan 22, 2018
lala
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by Flirtyjane(f): 8:56pm On Jan 22, 2018
okay
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by SmallmebigGod: 9:05pm On Jan 22, 2018
Thank you op. I am interested in a construction loan u mentioned can you help state examples of companies that can give one such offer

2. Can they also help complete an uncompleted building project

Thanks for the information

4 Likes

Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 22, 2018
Lawayer, seun
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jan 22, 2018
Good one
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by Yeyegist(f): 6:26am On Jan 23, 2018
SmallmebigGod:
Thank you op. I am interested in a construction loan u mentioned can you help state examples of companies that can give one such offer

Even me too.

Lalasticlala
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by SmallmebigGod: 6:30am On Jan 23, 2018
SmallmebigGod:

@havillaplus kindly respond to the above enquiries . as you can see someone else is interested in this information. Thanks for your help

1 Like

Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by MrPeterson(m): 8:33am On Jan 23, 2018
I m also interested. I have a property that is 85% completed, and just sourcing for loan to finish up . op pls advice
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by Nobody: 9:20am On Jan 23, 2018
SmallmebigGod:

Most construction companies find it easier to access construction loans from financial institutions. As an individual, you may find it difficult. Some banks gives this loans. Talk to your account officer. But please know that financial capability to pay back in the stipulated time will also be considered.

Irrespective of where your loan comes from, nobody will give you a loan and leave you alone.

6 Likes

Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by BoneBlogger(m): 9:25am On Jan 23, 2018
MrPeterson:
I m also interested. I have a property that is 85% completed, and just sourcing for loan to finish up . op pls advice

I guess many others too will be interested in this.

lalasticlala, lawyer, dominique,

MOD
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by Ugaboy: 11:49am On Jan 23, 2018
What is the op saying
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by slawomir: 11:50am On Jan 23, 2018
ok
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by kipesco(m): 11:51am On Jan 23, 2018
Awesome cheesy
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by pawesome(m): 11:53am On Jan 23, 2018
Interesting
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by dayleke: 11:55am On Jan 23, 2018
Good one
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by binsanni(m): 11:57am On Jan 23, 2018
following

Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by Doerstech(m): 12:02pm On Jan 23, 2018
Good infor
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by tivta(m): 12:05pm On Jan 23, 2018
this is for foreign lands na
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by Deprofessional(m): 12:05pm On Jan 23, 2018
havillaplus:

Most construction companies find it easier to access construction loans from financial institutions. As an individual, you may find it difficult. Some banks gives this loans. Talk to your account officer. But please know that financial capability to pay back in the stipulated time will also be considered.

Irrespective of where your loan comes from, nobody will give you a loan and leave you a lone.

I love the sentence in colour. Please never borrow from a nigerian bank to finance building project, particularly a non-commercial building.
If you do, you will wail.

4 Likes

Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by PqsMike: 12:08pm On Jan 23, 2018
shocked shocked
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by ruggedtimi(m): 12:09pm On Jan 23, 2018
Op i want to build a house with this design. cry

Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by BruncleZuma: 12:15pm On Jan 23, 2018
ruggedtimi:

grin grin grin grin
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by freeman95(m): 12:24pm On Jan 23, 2018
ruggedtimi:

Hahaha
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by Hargbo(m): 12:28pm On Jan 23, 2018
Guy no go dey copy Oyinbo thing come dey paste for Nigeria...it cannot work...we know aw we do our thing here...aw come this reach FP sef
havillaplus:

Source: https://www.realtor.com/advice/buy/how-do-i-build-a-house-on-my-land/

3 Likes

Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by exlinklodge: 12:30pm On Jan 23, 2018
Ok

I am coming
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by Hargbo(m): 12:31pm On Jan 23, 2018
ruggedtimi:
if you are ready lemme know, i will get the building and structural plan ready for you at an affordable fee

2 Likes

Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by Hargbo(m): 12:37pm On Jan 23, 2018
MrPeterson:
my uncle just finish his construction with loan from his cooperative
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by saydfact(m): 12:43pm On Jan 23, 2018
NICE CONTRIBUTION OP.....
Re: After Buying Land, How Do I Build A House On It? by Adefemiaderoju1: 12:43pm On Jan 23, 2018
You forgot to include omo onile.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Professional Aluminum Company In Nigeria / Need Quality Painting & Screeding for your Building? Call Danny Painters! / Exquisite And Durable Furnitures At Affordable Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.