Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. (8118 Views)

GLO Wants To Plant A MAST On My Land. What Are My Benefits And Its Hazards - / What Is The Annual Rent For Telecoms Mast In Lagos / Houses Destroyed As Mast Falls On Buildings After Heavy Rainfall In Edo. Photos (2) (3) (4)

About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 10:35pm On Jan 22, 2018
Are you in the know or probably a landlord to a telecoms operator?

1.Kindly advise on the current rate to charge Mast operators for per annum.

2.Are there additional benefits obtainable from the mast operators presently?

3.Can one charge more for additional network facilities added to the mast after the first contract, now that a renewal is about to be done.

4.What are the things i need to know in order to charge the operators for this renewal rate about to be negotiated?

*Please if you will ask me to contact you for paid service kindly ignore this thread*

Meanwhile valuable information will be profoundly appreciated.

Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 11:08pm On Jan 22, 2018
Please waiting for your advise.
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 11:11pm On Jan 22, 2018
Location is not far to synagogue church area before Ikotun.
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 3:07am On Jan 23, 2018
Pls awaiting your kind advise
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by laudate: 2:40pm On Jan 23, 2018
BanjiHols:

3.Can one charge more for additional network facilities added to the mast after the first contract, now that a renewal is about to be done.

4.What are the things i need to know in order to charge the operators for this renewal rate about to be negotiated?

*Please if you will ask me to contact you for paid service kindly ignore this thread*

Hello, the answers to your questions would depend on a lot of things.

1). What is the current value of land in your area? At what rate is land being rented out or sold, within your vicinity? This is usually a good place to start. Ask a good real estate agent to find out lease rates and selling rates for land, in your community. You can use those rates as a guide, to drawing up a new fee for annual rentals.

Next, look at the current interest rates and add that as a mark-up to the new rates, you would be charging for the lease of the land. Telecom companies prefer long lease period, for their base stations.

2). Additional benefits obtainable from the mast operators presently, vary from one operator to the other. sad But the truth is that most of the Base Transceiver Sites (BTS) stations and mast sites, have been outsourced to certain tower companies. You would need to find out, if your lease is still being handled directly by the telecoms firm, or the outsourced company.

In the past, the telco's generators supplying power to the mast & associated equipment, were also used to provide some amount of free electricity, to the landlord. Free security personnel to guard the BTS site, was also thrown in. I don't know if they would still be willing to renew on the same terms, now that cost of diesel has gone up. But please ensure that you push for it, to be included in the new lease rental. Anyway, they are not likely to strike out the generators being used on their site, as this is an essential service for them, since they always require power for the equipment. But they may want to strike out that part about offering free power to the landlord. cheesy

No matter what you do, if free security services were part of the former deal, please do NOT give it up. shocked Insist on it being a part of the new deal. Because if anything goes missing from the telco's equipment on site, you could be held liable or fingered as a likely suspect.

3). Charging for additional network facilities being added to the site, would depend on two things. sad Is the site a rooftop site, or a greenfield (i.e. on flat ground)? If it is a rooftop site (i.e. located on top of your building) then you could make a case based on the fact that additional equipment being installed, puts additional weight on your building, and it could increase the cost of your home insurance, or building insurance.

Not only that, there would be a need for more maintenance trips, since there are additional equipment, and that could lead to more wear and tear on the building.

If it was a greenfield site (i.e. if it was developed outside your building, on flat grounds), then please find out if the additional equipment is occupying more space than what what previously agreed, with the telecoms operator. If they have taken up more space than what was initially agreed, then you can bill separately for the additional square metres of land, they are now using. But usually, the BTS sites are fenced. So if the additional equipment is still within the confines of their agreed space, then am sorry, you cannot charge extra for that. undecided

4). The things you need to know have just been listed. You could also talk to others who have rented out space to other telcos. Maybe they would have more information. Good luck! wink

Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 7:23pm On Jan 23, 2018

laudate:

Hello, the answers to your questions would depend on a lot of things.

1). What is the current value of land in your area? At what rate is land being rented out or sold, within your vicinity? This is usually a good place to start. Ask a good real estate agent to find out lease rates and selling rates for land, in your community. You can use those rates as a guide, to drawing up a new fee for annual rentals.

Next, look at the current interest rates and add that as a mark-up to the new rates, you would be charging for the lease of the land. Telecom companies prefer long lease period, for their base stations.

2). Additional benefits obtainable from the mast operators presently, vary from one operator to the other. sad But the truth is that most of the Base Transceiver Sites (BTS) stations and mast sites, have been outsourced to certain tower companies. You would need to find out, if your lease is still being handled directly by the telecoms firm, or the outsourced company.

In the past, the telco's generators supplying power to the mast & associated equipment, were also used to provide some amount of free electricity, to the landlord. Free security personnel to guard the BTS site, was also thrown in. I don't know if they would still be willing to renew on the same terms, now that cost of diesel has gone up. But please ensure that you push for it, to be included in the new lease rental. Anyway, they are not likely to strike out the generators being used on their site, as this is an essential service for them, since they always require power for the equipment. But they may want to strike out that part about offering free power to the landlord. cheesy

No matter what you do, if free security services were part of the former deal, please do NOT give it up. shocked Insist on it being a part of the new deal. Because if anything goes missing from the telco's equipment on site, you could be held liable or fingered as a likely suspect.

3). Charging for additional network facilities being added to the site, would depend on two things. sad Is the site a rooftop site, or a greenfield (i.e. on flat ground)? If it is a rooftop site (i.e. located on top of your building) then you could make a case based on the fact that additional equipment being installed, puts additional weight on your building, and it could increase the cost of your home insurance, or building insurance.

Not only that, there would be a need for more maintenance trips, since there are additional equipment, and that could lead to more wear and tear on the building.

If it was a greenfield site (i.e. if it was developed outside your building, on flat grounds), then please find out if the additional equipment is occupying more space than what what previously agreed, with the telecoms operator. If they have taken up more space than what was initially agreed, then you can bill separately for the additional square metres of land, they are now using. But usually, the BTS sites are fenced. So if the additional equipment is still within the confines of their agreed space, then am sorry, you cannot charge extra for that. undecided

4). The things you need to know have just been listed. You could also talk to others who have rented out space to other telcos. Maybe they would have more information. Good luck! wink

Thank you so much Laudate for you informative response.

-They didnt give us power in the first contract.We are not even pushing for that.
-The company is IHS ..It is no longer directly from a telecom operator.
-I didnt get the interest part you mentioned,can you touch more on this?

Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by laudate: 7:33pm On Jan 23, 2018
BanjiHols:
Thank you so much Laudate for you informative response.

-They didnt give us power in the first contract.We are not even pushing for that.
-The company is IHS ..It is no longer directly from a telecom operator.
-I didnt get the interest part you .

Oh, ok. So power is not included in the contract. So strike that out. wink

Ah, so it is IHS. undecided Those guys took over the telecom masts of MTN and Etisalat Nigeria. IHS Holding Limited (“IHS”) is now the owner of MTN's towers business, which comprises of nearly 9,151 of MTN's mobile network towers. They are good negotiators, and always want something for nothing. They will try to offer you the lowest possible annual rent in the market.

By interest rates, I meant that you need to find out the commercial interest rates from the banks, if you were to take out a loan which is equivalent to the annual rent you would collect from the telco. Then multiply that interest rate over the same period of years, that lease is expected to run. sad

Finally, add that interest to the annual rent, you are going to charge the telco. If you took out a loan or a mortgage to build your property, would you not pay interest on that loan? And if you were to rent out that property in order to get money to pay back that loan, wouldn't you factor in the interest rate payable on that loan, before you fix the rental value? Just asking.

Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 7:55pm On Jan 23, 2018
laudate:

Ah, so it is IHS. undecided Those guys took over the telecom masts of MTN and Etisalat Nigeria. IHS Holding Limited (“IHS”) is now the owner of MTN's towers business, which comprises of nearly 9,151 of MTN's mobile network towers. They are good negotiators, and always want something for nothing. They will try to offer you the lowest possible annual rent in the market.

By interest rates, I meant that you need to find out the commercial interest rates from the banks, if you were to take out a loan which is equivalent to the annual rent you would collect from the telco. Then multiply that interest rate over the same period of years, that lease is expected to run. sad

Finally, add that interest to the annual rent, you are going to charge the telco. If you took out a loan or a mortgage to build your property, would you not pay interest on that loan? And if you were to rent out that property in order to get money to pay back that loan, wouldn't you factor in the interest rate payable on that loan, before you fix the rental value? Just asking.

-Thanks Laudate You know this IHS people very wellgrin this week, they brought their offer of a mere 25 percent increment of what they paid 10 years ago.

-They want to renew for another 10 years contrary to 5 years agreed then.

-The area road network is now well tarred (to the Gate of the property) contrary to the situation in 2008.

-There was no criteria or percentage agreed in the contract 10 years ago (to guide renewal increment)but onl states that there will be mutual agreement on new rate.

If you were in our shoe what percentage will you charge after 10 years, considering the developments seen in the area now plus property appreciation?
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by laudate: 8:06pm On Jan 23, 2018
BanjiHols:
-Thanks Laudate You know this IHS people very wellgrin this week, they brought their offer of a mere 25 percent increment of what they paid 10 years ago.

-The area road network is now well tarred (to the Gate of the property) contrary to the situation in 2008.

-There was no criteria or percentage agreed in the contract 10 years ago (to guide renewal increment)but onl states that there will be mutual agreement on new rate.

If you were in our shoe what percentage will you charge after 10 years, considering the developments seen in the area now plus property appreciation?

Oga, if your site is within Lagos or any major commercial city and the road network is now well tarred, then property rental rates are likely to have doubled in 5 years. That was why I was asking you to find out current rental rates, for similar plots of land or property within your area.

If I were in your shoes, I would take the current commercial rate charged by other properties in my area, and then mark it up by 50% per annum, to make enough provision that would cover interest rates. It should give me a rate that is like 80% - 100% above what the former telco paid initially to cover the 5-year lease. cheesy

Then when negotiations start, you might be able to come down a little to like 65 - 70% (i.e. above the current commercial rental value prevalent in your area). undecided The reason is to try and ensure property prices you finally agree to, gets as close as possible to projected property rates at the end of 5 years. Please try to avoid a 10 year lease if you can, because property prices would definitely have doubled in 10 years, and what you are being offered now, would look like chicken-feed, at the end of 10 years. Kindly try to stick to a 5-year lease. Do not allow them to intimidate you. sad

If they threaten to remove their equipment, please note that it would cost them time, effort, money and manpower to do so, and relocation costs might exceed the annual rent for them. wink Tell them this fact. Point out that they have enjoyed relative stability and safety of their equipment while it was on your premises, and the reason your site was chosen the first place, was because the telco had done its' site survey and discovered that your site had the best signals for their network. cool

Good luck in your negotiations with them! cheesy

Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 8:18pm On Jan 23, 2018
laudate:

Oga, if your site is within Lagos or any major commercial city and the road network is now well tarred, then property rental rates are likely to have doubled in 5 years. That was why I was asking you to find out current rental rates, for similar plots of land or property within your area.

If I were in your shoes, I would take the current commercial rate charged by other properties in my area, and then mark it up by 50% per annum, to make enough provision that would cover interest rates. It should give me a rate that is like 80% - 100% above what the former telco paid initially to cover the 5-year lease. cheesy

Then when negotiations start, you might be able to come down a little to like 65 - 70% (i.e. above the current commercial rental value prevalent in your area). undecided Please try to avoid a 10 year lease if you can, because property prices would definitely have doubled in 10 years, and what you are being offered now, would look like chicken-feed, at the end of 10 years. Kindly try to stick to a 5-year lease. Do not allow them to intimidate you. sad

If they threaten to remove their equipment, please note that it would cost them time, effort, money and manpower to do so, and relocation costs might exceed the annual rent for them. wink Tell them this fact. Point out that they have enjoyed relative stability and safety of their equipment while it was on your premises, and the reason your site was chosen the first place, was because the telco had done its' site survey and discovered that your site had the best signals for their network. cool

Good luck in your negotiations with them! cheesy

Thank you so much..I will do so

They said they will pay all taxes except (withholding tax,ground rent or property taxes of capital nature payable now or in the future)
Is the landlord suppose to pay these?Thanks
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by laudate: 8:22pm On Jan 23, 2018
BanjiHols:
Thank you so much..I will do so

They said they will pay all taxes except (withholding tax,ground rent or property taxes of capital nature payable now or in the future)
Is the landlord suppose to pay these?Thanks

Yes, the landlord is supposed to pay all those taxes. They are saying so, in order for you to grant them a discounted rate on the property. You could do so, if you want to. undecided

Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 8:34pm On Jan 23, 2018
laudate:

Yes, the landlord is supposed to pay all those taxes. They are saying so, in order for you to grant them a discounted rate on the property. You could do so, if you want to. undecided

Thank you Laudate. I am really grateful

Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by laudate: 8:35pm On Jan 23, 2018
BanjiHols:
Thank you Laudate. I am really grateful

You are welcome! wink But please remember to collect your withholding tax receipt from them, which should be in your own name, if the tax authorities come calling. it takes 3 - 6 months to get this from govt, after payment has been made.

Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 12:03am On Jan 24, 2018
Ok thanks Laudate

Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 1:43pm On May 08, 2018
laudate:

You are welcome! wink But please remember to collect your withholding tax receipt from them, which should be in your own name, if the tax authorities come calling. it takes 3 - 6 months to get this from govt, after payment has been made.

Happy new month boss.. Pls o.. Actually used a lawyer as u advised.. For a reasonable increase.. But thier agents are taking too much time in getting back to us with IHS take on the increase.. Wht do u advise.. Rent is due already. How do we grab quick attention so that they offer a reasonable amount and pay asap.. Tnx
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by laudate: 11:04pm On May 08, 2018
BanjiHols:
Happy new month boss.. Pls o.. Actually used a lawyer as u advised.. For a reasonable increase.. But thier agents are taking too much time in getting back to us with IHS take on the increase.. Wht do u advise.. Rent is due already. How do we grab quick attention so that they offer a reasonable amount and pay asap.. Tnx
Kindly ask your lawyer to send them a reminder. And please inform them of the need to respond promptly, in the light of changing govt regulations on property taxes (e.g. Land Use Charge). Also copy IHS managers in your letters.

Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 11:32pm On May 08, 2018
laudate:

Kindly ask your lawyer to send them a reminder. And please inform them of the need to respond promptly, in the light of changing govt regulations on property taxes (e.g. Land Use Charge). Also copy IHS managers in your letters.

Thanks wondering hoe to get IHS contact... Lol cant they make sure they alert 5ax authorities while making dia payment..since we are claiming that as an excuse.. Lo
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by adah(m): 5:34pm On May 10, 2018
hello @BanjiHols,

am in the same situation as well. tho my initial agreement states a 40% increase on renewal, i will like to know if there are other benefits being discussed. can i get your contact so we can interact better?

BanjiHols:

Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by laudate: 5:57pm On May 11, 2018
BanjiHols:
Thanks wondering hoe to get IHS contact... Lol cant they make sure they alert 5ax authorities while making dia payment..since we are claiming that as an excuse.. Lo
No, I am not saying that they should alert the tax authorities, but just let them know that LUC charges have changed, because in Lagos it is the landlord or house occupier that gets served with the LUC notice/bill. sad If you have it, then attach it to your reminder, and send it to them since they have agreed to handle all taxes and charges pertaining to the site. There is a penalty for late payment of LUC, and they need to be aware of this. The longer that IHS drags their feet on the lease renewal, the higher the penalty for late or non-payment of LUC would be.

NB: LUC is Land Use Charge. It is a form of property tax. undecided

Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 9:02am On May 13, 2018
laudate:

No, I am not saying that they should alert the tax authorities, but just let them know that LUC charges have changed, because in Lagos it is the landlord or house occupier that gets served with the LUC notice/bill. sad If you have it, then attach it to your reminder, and send it to them since they have agreed to handle all taxes and charges pertaining to the site. There is a penalty for late payment of LUC, and they need to be aware of this. The longer that IHS drags their feet on the lease renewal, the higher the penalty for late or non-payment of LUC would be.

NB: LUC is Land Use Charge. It is a form of property tax. undecided

Ooh k thanks Laudate
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 9:04am On May 13, 2018
adah:
hello @BanjiHols,

am in the same situation as well. tho my initial agreement states a 40% increase on renewal, i will like to know if there are other benefits being discussed. can i get your contact so we can interact better?

Your mail seen.. Good to have u on whatsapp!
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by Nobody: 12:04pm On Oct 14, 2018
BanjiHols:

How did it go pls?...my friend in ur position. and how much is charged for lagos mainland ?
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 10:22pm On Oct 14, 2018
tritritri:

How did it go pls?...my friend in ur position. and how much is charged for lagos mainland ?

We were able to get an additional offer tnx to lots of info gathered, personal findings/rigorous research to what makes the land worthy and representation via a lawyer.

Lots of things hv changed

Many thanks @laudate

Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by jonesbaba(m): 9:14am On Oct 27, 2018
laudate:

IHS also reduced our percentage from 40% to 20% and they said it takes.6-8 weeks before we get paid. i want to know if this is true
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by tayejay(m): 4:49am On Jan 18, 2019
BanjiHols:

We were able to get an additional offer tnx to lots of info gathered, personal findings/rigorous research to what makes the land worthy and representation via a lawyer.

Many thanks @laudate
BanjiHols:

Many thanks @laudate
BanjiHols:

Many thanks @laudate

Hello BanjiHols, please I need your guidance or vital information from you.. please let us communicate.. I will be sending you email.. I had sent earlier but no response from you.. thanks
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 12:02pm On Jan 20, 2019
tayejay:
[color=#990000][/color]

Hello BanjiHols, please I need your guidance or vital information from you.. please let us communicate.. I will be sending you email.. I had sent earlier but no response from you.. thanks

i responded pls
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by eddycolo(m): 12:24am On Jan 28, 2019
@benjihols please how much did you charge for a year?
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by atheolar: 6:09pm On Jun 06, 2019
@banjihols please can I have you mail, I need you to put me through some of the procedure to get a land. Thanks for your quick response.
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by BanjiHols(m): 1:25am On Jun 07, 2019
atheolar:
@banjihols please can I have you mail, I need you to put me through some of the procedure to get a land. Thanks for your quick response.
I have responded to your email
Re: About to renew land lease For Telecoms Mast:i Need Urgent Advise Pls. by emmsana: 11:45am On Oct 08, 2020
OP pls I sent you an email on this issue, it's urgent pls.

BanjiHols:

Pls Help... I Need A Roommate In Lekki / Ajah Axis.. Just Got A New Job / 13.5kva MIKANO GENERATOR, Year 2010, The Generator Is In Very Good Condition. / 10 Acres Of Dry Land Facing The Ocean Available For Quick Sales From The Family

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91