Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,506 members, 7,819,832 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? (23434 Views)

Long Distance Marriage: How Do You Cope Married Couples In Similiar Situation / Why Is It That Some Married Couples Hardly Wear Their Rings Nowadays? / Man Takes Fight To Father’s Grave Over Sharing Of Properties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by Lexusgs430: 10:41pm On Jan 26, 2018
Jayboi:
I can recall seeing a couple's house documents with both names on it but to me this seem odd. I believe its only the husband's name that should be written there but i can understand how things can turn up in the event of a break up, divorce etc and probably protect the wife's interest judging by the fact that some men can be reckless.
My question now is ....ethically whose name should be put on title deeds of properties acquired as a couple? Matured response pls

Both of them..... If they jointly invested, directly or indirectly.....

1 Like

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by Okwyjesus(m): 10:43pm On Jan 26, 2018
Both. Tom añd Jerry Lagbaja
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by gmoni2(m): 10:49pm On Jan 26, 2018
In care of the children. simple with a will to back for any future dispute..

3 Likes

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 26, 2018
Well the wife's name should be on the property cos no matter what happens she would not send the husband packing

3 Likes

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jan 26, 2018
I feel both names for couples who truly and sincerely love and trust each other. If the love is sincere and loyalty is there, both names simply strengthens the marriage, the more.
That's what I will do, when the time comes to cross that bridge. And I believe my partner will feel same.

1 Like

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by cuteralph101(m): 10:57pm On Jan 26, 2018
Jayboi:
I can recall seeing a couple's house documents with both names on it but to me this seem odd. I believe its only the husband's name that should be written there but i can understand how things can turn up in the event of a break up, divorce etc and probably protect the wife's interest judging by the fact that some men can be reckless.
My question now is ....ethically whose name should be put on title deeds of properties acquired as a couple? Matured response pls
IMO the wife should...no explanations just let her have her name on it
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by byemx06(m): 10:58pm On Jan 26, 2018
this wat my big bro use his name and family eg.. aguero and family, I was surprise wen I saw his car paper. is kind of cool

1 Like

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by Tallesty1(m): 10:58pm On Jan 26, 2018
Evacroft:
this is such a big coincidence, this is what a colleague just shared with me now.
She found out that the land both she and her husband acquired states Mr and mrs then husbands full name,and her name is nowhere to be found,she asked her husband but he didnt guve any reply. She earns well and as started looking into properties for herself solely. Sometimes pple just teach u to be wise. And mind u the land rolls into chunks of millions.
If ur husband cant trust u enough to do a joint ownership of properties then acquire urs seperately with his knowledge.
Things have really changed. Back in the days Mr and Mrs Eze means Eze and his wife so once the document contains Mr and Mrs it means that Eze and his own the property. If for any reason the man decides to bring in another wife then the first should go to court. It is that simple.

Share the man's surname two of them dey share? Why she no carry her own full name make the man carry his own name? I think a husband and wife are one in the eye of the law? Aren't they?
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by Tallesty1(m): 11:00pm On Jan 26, 2018
desreek9:
Well the wife's name should be on the property cos no matter what happens she would not send the husband packing
Men send women back to their father, women send men back to their creator.

1 Like

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by Proudlyngwa(m): 11:09pm On Jan 26, 2018
You people are not realistic.
Why most men dont put their wives name on their property is because they fear in the event of death, she will remarry, another man will eat his labour and probably leave nothing for his kids.
This being that most of the time 80% of the property is from the mans sweat.
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by jaz(m): 11:09pm On Jan 26, 2018
All my landed properties are bought in my name and my wife's, though I paid for them all. Her name is on receipts, deed of assignments etc and that's cos she's a great wife and partner and dont want anyone messing wifhmy family when I'm gone. However I always maintain a clause on all DOA which indicates me as the principal buyer with the right to relieve any other party/ co- owner of any rights to the property. Though I love my wife one has to be wise in case things go south
Jayboi:

pls grow up. all i ask for is share ur view

4 Likes

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by Follygunners: 11:10pm On Jan 26, 2018
Oyindidi:
Mtcheeeew

Dis one don carry over-sabi NL 1st lady come be dat. Pple wey no fit go dey vex na. grin
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by erico2k2(m): 11:22pm On Jan 26, 2018
donstan18:

Properties acquired by couples should bear the name of the couples, what's confusing there?

Like, a man works hard and together with the support of his wife to acquire wealth and properties, then you start contemplating if her name should be put on the title deed or not? , that's prolly selfishness and greed.

What if things later fall out between the couples, then the wife will go stranded? huh?

This sound like a voice from un enlightened soul.If you are married under the law and case goes to court weather the woman's name is on the document or not she is entitled to a share of the house if it goes pear shaped and if she has kids, they are entittled to stay in the house untill kids grow up.This is why its very important to register your marriage at the registry.When you are married your wife bears your full name by default.She is your Mrs.
Beside you do not go into marriage with doubt or thought your marriage might brake up one day if you do then marriage is not for you!

2 Likes

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by erico2k2(m): 11:24pm On Jan 26, 2018
jaz:
All my landed properties are bought in my name and my wife's, though I paid for them all. Her name is on receipts, deed of assignments etc and that's cos she's a great wife and partner and dont want anyone messing wifhmy family when I'm gone. However I always maintain a clause on all DOA which indicates me as the principal buyer with the right to relieve any other party/ co- owner of any rights to the property. Though I love my wife one has to be wise in case things go south
So if you did not name ur wife in the Docs and your marriage is registered, do you think when you are gone anyone else apart from your wife has rights to your properties?
Look some times we asume 2much in 9ja, we need seek Legal clearifications in certain stuff we do not understand.Why do you think there is such as prenopt?

1 Like

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by erico2k2(m): 11:28pm On Jan 26, 2018
Tallesty1:
Things have really changed. Back in the days Mr and Mrs Eze means Eze and his wife so once the document contains Mr and Mrs it means that Eze and his own the property. If for any reason the man decides to bring in another wife then the first should go to court. It is that simple.

Share the man's surname two of them dey share? Why she no carry her own full name make the man carry his own name? I think a husband and wife are one in the eye of the law? Aren't they?

yes they are one.Anyone saying otherwise is just ignorant and ill exposed!
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by braimeddy: 11:31pm On Jan 26, 2018
Happy birthday
Twoclans:
The document should carry Mr Joseph musa and Mrs Josephine musa.

This is because anybody can be Mrs musa.

When you have experienced good women been stranded as a result of marriage, you will know it's best you protect yourself.

The love between couples can be so sweet today nobody's knows what will happen tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by Twoclans(f): 11:36pm On Jan 26, 2018
braimeddy:
Happy birthday

Thanks dear

1 Like

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by XX01(f): 12:28am On Jan 27, 2018
Rule 14.

Search Nairaland before creating a new thread.
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by martowskin1(m): 2:40am On Jan 27, 2018
Nigerians won't kill me with laugh, Mr and Mrs is enough, then get your marriage registered it covers the date. If things go south, she have alot of right due to the time the marriage was registered and when property is acquired.

Mrs 2 can assume property bought b4 she was married
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by AreaFada2: 3:46am On Jan 27, 2018
ladycomfort:

The husband nah sharp guy o angry

Calling a thief her husband..... What if the husband marries a second wife cheesy

One chance
Lol.

At times men are scared o. What if the wife eliminates him and takes over everything. grin cheesy

But in reality these days that monogamy is the norm, both should put their name on it. It encourages both to work hard towards a common goal. Properties are serious investment so not to be toyed with. Both should analyse it carefully.

Some also put only names of their kids on it, if they have already completed their family.
In some cases, if the worst should happen, the hubby's family can start dragging property with the wife and kids. A last will should sort that out.

Never too early to make one.
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by AreaFada2: 3:55am On Jan 27, 2018
desreek9:
That na those days o. You didn't read here last week how a lady kicked her hubby out and brought her lover in? Some women don rugged now. cheesy grin

Those days that family elders come and intervene has gone. If church elders meddle too much now, she will switch churches. There are dozens in every street nowadays.
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by linearity: 4:24am On Jan 27, 2018
When it come down it, unless you guys signed a prenup, it does not matter whose name are on the documents.

If the properties were acquired during the marriage, it is subject to equitable redistribution upon divorce, just get a good lawyer.

Practically, the choice depends on, what you want to protect and exposure of each individual. Some couples transfer the property to the other, if one is too exposed to liabilities; this way if the chickens come home to rouse, the properties are out of reach.

Some do it to reduce or eliminate estate taxes or to increase the leverage of one party.

Bottomline, is if you aim is to keep the other away in the case of divorce, sign a prenup and don’t do statutory marriage; otherwise it does not matter whose name is on the documents.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by Obierika(m): 5:26am On Jan 27, 2018
gloria34:
most times, its usually d name of d husband 'only', and when things go south, d woman is left with nothing

If the husband paid for it alone then only his name should appear on the title documents especially if he bought it before he got married
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by AvailableCofOLa(m): 6:39am On Jan 27, 2018
Fist name of both couples with the couple's official surname should be put on the documents i.e. the husband's surname.

1 Like

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by DavidEsq(m): 6:42am On Jan 27, 2018
donstan18:

Properties acquired by couples should bear the name of the couples, what's confusing there?

Like, a man works hard and together with the support of his wife to acquire wealth and properties, then you start contemplating if her name should be put on the title deed or not? , that's prolly selfishness and greed.

What if things later fall out between the couples, then the wife will go stranded? huh?

Don't mind him. He is very mischievous and winni-winni, bele-bele-kum-kum.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by qiqe(f): 7:08am On Jan 27, 2018
Both of them names should be on it. And it should not be written as just Mr & Mrs Olukoya as anybody can be that but Mr. Ibrahim & Mrs Abike Olukoya.
Jayboi:

3 Likes

Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by jaybee3(m): 7:24am On Jan 27, 2018
Make una sha no carry this mentality outside the shores of naij...
Shior
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by apostle71(m): 7:25am On Jan 27, 2018
Couple's names if there's trust.
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by donstan18: 7:31am On Jan 27, 2018
erico2k2:

This sound like a voice from un enlightened soul.If you are married under the law and case goes to court weather the woman's name is on the document or not she is entitled to a share of the house if it goes pear shaped and if she has kids, they are entittled to stay in the house untill kids grow up.This is why its very important to register your marriage at the registry.When you are married your wife bears your full name by default.She is your Mrs.
Beside you do not go into marriage with doubt or thought your marriage might brake up one day if you do then marriage is not for you!
Point out the difference from your point to mine.
Re: Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? by OlujobaSamuel: 7:46am On Jan 27, 2018
All my dad's real estate that i know of is having his first name, mum's first name and the surname as the owner of the property. not sure it's having Mr but no Mrs, its like Adekunle, John Sandra.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman Gave Birth To Twins After 16 Years Of Marriage (photo) / Advice:He Wants Me To Leave Our 6months Old Baby With His Mum And Travel To Work / Woman Gives Birth To Triplets After Losing 2 Children To Kidnappers (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.