Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,176 members, 7,815,109 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Trump Threatens To Cut Aid To Palestinians For Disrespecting Pence - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Threatens To Cut Aid To Palestinians For Disrespecting Pence (454 Views)

Coup: US Suspends Military Aid To Mali / China Replies Trump Over Threat To Cut Off Ties / Israeli Snipers Kill 37 Palestinians, Wound 1,300 Over US Embassy Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump Threatens To Cut Aid To Palestinians For Disrespecting Pence by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:22am On Jan 27, 2018
Trump Threatens To Cut Aid To Palestinians For Disrespecting Pence
Palestinian leader snubbed vice-president over Jerusalem move
'Not meeting your oppressor … is a sign of self-respect' – official

Thu 25 Jan 2018 16.56 GMT Last modified on Thu 25 Jan 2018 21.24 GMT

Donald Trump meets Benjamin Netanyahu in Davos. ‘Israel has always supported the United States so what I did with Jerusalem was my honour,’ said Trump.

Donald Trump threatened to cut aid to the Palestinian Authority on Thursday, saying that Palestinians had “disrespected” Vice-President Mike Pence on his visit to the region.

Speaking at the World Economic Forum at Davos, Switzerland, Trump told reporters: "Respect has to be shown to the US or we’re just not going any further.”

After Trump recognised Jerusalem as Israel's capital, close allies in Europe and the Middle East denounced the decision as a provocation to unrest and a major setback to peace talks.

Not long afterward, the president of the Palestinian Authority, Mahmoud Abbas, declined to meet with Pence on a recent visit to Israel.

Earlier this month, Abbas called recognition of Jerusalem "the slap of the century," and said that Palestinians could no longer trust the US as an honest broker in the talks.

"We will not accept for the US to be a mediator, because after what they have done to us," he said.

On Thursday, sitting next to Israel's prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, Trump alluded to the snub of Pence. "They disrespected us a week ago by not allowing our great vice-president to see them."

He added that the US may withhold "hundreds of millions" in aid money for Palestinians if they did not return to peace talks. "That money is on the table and that money's not going to them unless they sit down and negotiate peace," he said.

The Trump administration has already moved to freeze some $60m for Palestinian refugees, to release on condition of a United Nations "re-examination" of programs. Trump has charged his son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner, with leading peace talks, yet on Thursday he said the subject of aid funding was new: "This was never brought up by other negotiators but it’s brought up by me."

He added: "That money is on the table because why should we do that, as a country, if they’re doing nothing for us?"

The White House has argued that it has taken the debate over Israel's capital "off the table" for negotiations, but on Thursday Trump insisted "Israel will pay for that" concession.

He also defended his controversial decision, saying: "Israel has always supported the United States so what I did with Jerusalem was my honour."

A spokesman for Abbas said the Palestinians would not meet with the US administration until it withdrew its recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

"If the American administration will not go back on their decision to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, it will remain outside the [negotiation] table," Nabil Abu Rudeina said.

Another senior Palestinian official, Hanan Ashrawi, told AFP that "not meeting your oppressor is not a sign of disrespect, it is a sign of self-respect."

Nikki Haley, the US ambassador to the United Nations, responded to Abbas' speech in a Thursday meeting of the UN security council. "A speech that indulges in outrageous and discredited conspiracy theories is not the speech of a person with the courage and the will to seek peace," she said.

The Trump administration, she added, would not "chase after a Palestinian leadership that lacks what is needed to achieve peace."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/25/trump-threatens-to-cut-aid-to-palestinians-for-disrespecting-pence

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Threatens To Cut Aid To Palestinians For Disrespecting Pence by holyfather(m): 12:58pm On Jan 27, 2018
So they want the Aid, not what comes with it.
Re: Trump Threatens To Cut Aid To Palestinians For Disrespecting Pence by drakeli: 2:45pm On Jan 27, 2018
Why are Muslims making noise while Palestinians are surviving on American aids. America is the Satan, but they don’t mind Satan feeding them. I saw Palestinian workers protesting for lack of payment of their salaries by their government even with US aids o. I pray Palestinians will not starve to death if US withdraw her aids from them.

Somebody please tell me why God will not continue to prosper America and put Muslim world under her feet. Anyone that continues to eat from his enemy will continually be a slave under the feet of his enemy. That’s why Muslims will continue to rant under the feet of great America and Allah the Arabian god will be looking helplessly. Jerusalem as the capital of Israel has come to stay until Palestine stop collecting aids from America which is a very hard thing for them to do. Their economy depends on it. The hand that receives will always be under. That’s natural law.
Re: Trump Threatens To Cut Aid To Palestinians For Disrespecting Pence by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:31pm On Mar 12, 2018
holyfather:

So they want the Aid, not what comes with it.

They love the gift but hate the giver.

1 Like

Re: Trump Threatens To Cut Aid To Palestinians For Disrespecting Pence by holyfather(m): 10:18pm On Mar 13, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

They love the gift but hate the giver.

I see.

(1) (Reply)

Trouble Looms In Kenya As Country Gets 2nd President / Social Media Platforms A Tool For Abusing Politicians, Should Be Banned - May / Punish A Muslim Day’ Letters Rattle U.K. Communities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.