Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,132 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) (7486 Views)

High Quality And Affordable Polysterene Parapet For Your Roof / 3 Bedroom Bungalow. Parapet, Roofing, Etc.. / ALTERNATIVE BUILDING TECHNOLOGY (RED INTERLOCKING BRICKS) COMPARATIVE COST ANALY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 11:45am On Jan 27, 2018
Good morning my beautiful people.. And happy new year. After much procrastination (which was finally overcome this year) we at Frontline Contractors have decided to serve you the hot dish of this awesome new building material that is making waves all across Nigeria.. It's not really new but I use that term because a lot of people are yet to know about or utilize this material.
It's called Expanded Polystyrene or EPS for short.. And we've created a guide to help the average Nigerian know the basics and the uses of this product both in the food industry, construction industry and the advertising sector. Please follow this thread for more enlightenment.

1 Like

Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 10:29am On Feb 08, 2018
Happy new month folks. As I told you the last time there are so many applications of this EPS material in the building industry. Ranging from structural applications to non structural uses.
Structural applications include but not limited to
- slab/decking
- staircase
- load bearing walls, etc.
Non Structural uses include
- POP ceiling
- Parapet/Facia
- Window hoods
- Partition wall panels/ Sandwich Panels, etc.

As promised we'll be presenting you with a comprehensive guide to see some interesting applications of this product.
First let's view some literature on the material so that you can have basic and background information concerning EPS.
Check out the picture below

Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 5:21pm On Feb 10, 2018
First on our list of applications of EPS is in suspended ceilings. Or as popularly known POP ceilings.

My chairmen (these people I am mentioning don’t know me because I have been a silent reader of some of their posts) Skimanski , spyder880 , mufutau55 , Segcymoor , Twinskenny , saydfact , FastShipping , rotecch77 , ArcBoB , ba7man , CASTOSVILLA , abdulwastecx , thewatcher2020 , cribpark , lawyer and many others not mentioned in this post.
Please tell us your experiences so far in using EPS in various building finishings.
For any inquiries reach us via
Email: frontlinecontract@gmail.com
Whatsapp: 08060249306

1 Like

Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by MrRitchie: 8:50pm On Feb 10, 2018
How much if I want to use this for my sitting room of 19sqm
Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 8:09am On Feb 11, 2018
MrRitchie:
How much if I want to use this for my sitting room of 19sqm

EPS and POP have similar pricing..Depending on your location and also on the design you wud like to achieve.. EPS can cost anywhere from 3300-3500.....more complex designs can cost more.
So @ 3300, 19sqm wud cost around 62,700.
Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by MrRitchie: 11:40am On Feb 11, 2018
Tazermatic:

EPS and POP have similar pricing..Depending on your location and also on the design you wud like to achieve.. EPS can cost anywhere from 3300-3500.....more complex designs can cost more.
So @ 3300, 19sqm wud cost around 62,700.
there are no difference in the price tho
Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 11:59am On Feb 11, 2018
MrRitchie:
there are no difference in the price tho

While that may appear to be, you get much better benefits with using EPS than POP because of the reasons outlined in the pictures above.

What's the location of your building. Maybe I can be able to get you a good deal. Location plays a part in the pricing
Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by austin2all: 12:29pm On Feb 11, 2018
I find it hard to believe that this stuff can withstand high tide and waves during rainy seasons.
Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 10:26pm On Feb 11, 2018
austin2all:
I find it hard to believe that this stuff can withstand high tide and waves during rainy seasons.

Lol. My bro can you clarify what you mean by resisting high tide and waves. It's not a retaining wall that has to resist tide and waves. But let me speak on what it can do when used as ceiling (since I suppose that is the application you're referring to) in relation to water exposure. EPS is a proven water proof material. Even if it is exposed for years to water or moisture it will not deteriorate.
If by resisting tide and waves during rainy season you mean the terrible floods that have plagued some areas all over Nigeria in previous rainy seasons. I believe that is a matter of installation. When the ceiling is installed firmly and properly I believe it can resist those tides you talked about. Even more so because of its water proof capability. I've had an incident where a client tried using an iron pipe to pierce an area that had already been installed and screeded(there was a modification he wanted in that particular area so he had no qualms damaging that spot). To his greatest amazement the ceiling wouldn't bulge or even pierce.. He tried and tried until he made it a personal challenge to bust open that ceiling in which case he succeeded..lol.
What I'm trying to say is, just cos EPS ceiling is light weight doesn't mean its fragile or weak. It's actually very firm and strong after complete installation and finishing.
If what I talked about here isn't what you had in mind, please clarify more so that I can be able to follow.
Thank you.
Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by austin2all: 11:51pm On Feb 11, 2018
Tazermatic:

Lol. My bro can you clarify what you mean by resisting high tide and waves. It's not a retaining wall that has to resist tide and waves. But let me speak on what it can do when used as ceiling (since I suppose that is the application you're referring to) in relation to water exposure. EPS is a proven water proof material. Even if it is exposed for years to water or moisture it will not deteriorate.
If by resisting tide and waves during rainy season you mean the terrible floods that have plagued some areas all over Nigeria in previous rainy seasons. I believe that is a matter of installation. When the ceiling is installed firmly and properly I believe it can resist those tides you talked about. Even more so because of its water proof capability. I've had an incident where a client tried using an iron pipe to pierce an area that had already been installed and screeded(there was a modification he wanted in that particular area so he had no qualms damaging that spot). To his greatest amazement the ceiling wouldn't bulge or even pierce.. He tried and tried until he made it a personal challenge to bust open that ceiling in which case he succeeded..lol.
What I'm trying to say is, just cos EPS ceiling is light weight doesn't mean its fragile or weak. It's actually very firm and strong after complete installation and finishing.
If what I talked about here isn't what you had in mind, please clarify more so that I can be able to follow.
Thank you.

i was actually referring to using it for parapet
Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 10:00am On Feb 12, 2018
austin2all:

i was actually referring to using it for parapet

In that case Bro you're wrong. With the way that EPS parapet is installed, the only way it'll fail is if the building it's installed on collapses. I'll shed more light on the installation procedure soon when I upload the parapet section of the guide. Hope you'll stay tuned till then. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by saydfact(m): 12:07pm On Feb 13, 2018
great work you've got going....

1 Like

Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by MrRitchie: 12:42pm On Feb 13, 2018
My location is at iyana iyesi ogun state
Tazermatic:

While that may appear to be, you get much better benefits with using EPS than POP because of the reasons outlined in the pictures above.

What's the location of your building. Maybe I can be able to get you a good deal. Location plays a part in the pricing
Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 10:07am On Feb 17, 2018
Good morning my beautiful people. Hope you all had an eventful and productive week. Well cheers to a restful playful and fun filled weekend. As the saying goes all work and no play... You know the rest.
Today we'll be looking into the application of EPS in Parapet/Facia/Eaves for buildings. Various advantages include cost effectiveness, light weight, durable... Etc. And of course they come in various shapes and sizes.
The pictures below are for your viewing pleasure

Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 10:11am On Feb 17, 2018
Installation procedures will be explained in the next post. Feel free to ask any questions which I'll also take time out to answer in subsequent posts. Have a great weekend folks

Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 11:14pm On Mar 11, 2018
Hello everyone. Hope you all had an awesome weekend. We at Front Line Contractors define a great weekend as what follows after we have successfully delivered our projects/orders to the delight and maximum satisfaction of our clients/customers. So today as promised in the last post we shall discuss the installation procedure for EPS parapet.

Now EPS parapet can be installed at any stage between roof beam level and even a completely roofed house.
If the house will not carry a roof beam(like most bungalows) it can be installed after the final course of block work Our focus today however will be installation during the roof beam stage.
Bear in mind that at this stage the reinforcements for the beam must have been laid and the internal form work also in place..The EPS parapet acts as an external permanent form work for the roof beam.
Materials Needed : binding wire(preferably galvanized steel binding wire), Nails, Leveling Instrument, Saw, glue powder&cement mixture.

1) the first stage of installation will be to find level around the building using leveling instrument and marking using line or plywood for example as shown in the first pic

2) second will be attaching the parapet to the wall by tying the biding wire through the body of the parapet or using nails to secure the binding wire inside the parapet. The holes created will be sealed permanently using the glue powder & cement mixture.
This is done at intervals along the perimeter of the building, say every 0.6m or 1m

3) third will be tying the binding wire to the roof beam reinforcements

4) fourth and finally will be the casting of the roof beam which holds everything securely in place. Finally all the joints and any dents left on the EPS during installation are dressed and permanently sealed with the glue powder & cement mixture. What you have at the end of the day is a strong, durable, straight cut, zero error parapet.

A parapet installed this way will never falter unless the building itself collapses.

Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 11:30pm On Mar 11, 2018
The pictures below are of the parapet whose installation procedures were shown earlier.

Like I said this is just one way of installing EPS parapet.
If your building for example has been roofed already and you still want to install EPS parapet it is still very much doable. This is one of the great advantages of EPS parapet. It's flexibility.
I hope you guys enjoy our episode for today.

If you have any questions or would like us to give you estimates of parapet cost for your building project, contact us at
Email : frontlinecontract@gmail.com
Phone & Whatsapp: 08060249306
Also follow us on the various social media platforms
Instagram & Twitter : @frontlinecont
Facebook : Front Line Contractors

Next post we'll be touching on EPS window hoods, door hoods and wall belting/liners.
Have a fulfilling and prosperous week ahead.

Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 1:56pm On Jun 18, 2018
Good afternoon my lovely people. Hope you all have been doing great.
We're sorry for the long break in transmission.. Sorry I mean communication of this transmission commission.
We have indeed been busy with some construction projects here and there. Well we'll resume our EPS enlightenment discussion with some posts about EPS window hoods. But before then let me share with you an EPS parapet project we did recently where the client didn't cast roof beam. But yet the EPS was installed very firmly and properly reinforced.
As you can see from picture 3, the EPS was reinforced in 3 areas.

1. It was tied firmly to the block wall and the column reinforcements(which were later casted with concrete)

2. It was tied to the wall plate as well.

3. "L" shaped reinforcements were driven through the block into the EPS, then that part of the EPS was removed (see picture 2) and replaced with concrete mortar,(which is the casting you see at intervals along the EPS in picture 3). This in turn effectively adds to its rigidity and firmness.

Nothing can shake this building's EPS parapet...unless this building falls before the EPS can fall with it.

In the previous post I shared how EPS parapet is installed in a building that has roofing beam, so this time I'm making this post to elaborate how EPS parapet can be installed without roof beam.
If you have any questions or would like us to give you estimates of parapet cost for your building project, contact us at

Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 2:05pm On Jun 18, 2018
saydfact:
great work you've got going....
I thank you my Oga. I hope you'll consider using our products on your next building project and that you'll recommend us to your peers. Cheers
Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 2:48pm On Jun 18, 2018
So finally let's discuss EPS window hoods. EPS hoods come in different designs and shapes and sizes. Several advantages include :
*Lightweight window hoods

*Very fast installation time, one single worker can completely install and tidy up up to 10 windows in a single working day. Also installation is relatively clean and non messy.

*Great designs, from simple designs to complex designs can be achieved with EPS window hoods.

You would notice I didn't include cheaper price than cement. This is because from experience sometimes EPS hoods run into about the same price range as its cement counterparts, and sometimes more depending on the design (especially for the luxury complex designs). So in order words it can be cheaper, or the same price, or a bit more expensive. Everything depends on the design of the EPS window hood.
I choose to be honest I'm this regards so that potential clients would be well informed before opting to use EPS hoods. You get the other great advantages of EPS window hoods, and your windows will definitely stand out with the various designs we have available.
If you have any questions or would like us to give you estimates of window hoods cost for your building project, contact us at

Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 3:01pm On Jun 18, 2018
A few more EPS window hoods and wall belting previous jobs

Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by justojai: 12:55am On Jul 03, 2018
I think am liking this light weight technology. What do u think is the best time to install EPS? Before or after roofing assuming it's a one story building. I noticed it requires bamboo construction to get them on.
Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by Tazermatic(m): 1:28pm On Jul 04, 2018
justojai:
I think am liking this light weight technology. What do u think is the best time to install EPS? Before or after roofing assuming it's a one story building. I noticed it requires bamboo construction to get them on.

EPS parapet can be installed at any time, but the best time is before roofing.
Immediately after block work, install your wall plate and EPS parapet is ready to be installed.
Yes it does require scaffolding for the installers to stand on and be able to reach the height of the roof to install the EPS parapet.
If you have more inquiries don't hesitate to reach us via any of our contact channels.

Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by justojai: 2:10am On Jul 06, 2018
Tazermatic:

EPS parapet can be installed at any time, but the best time is before roofing.
Immediately after block work, install your wall plate and EPS parapet is ready to be installed.
Yes it does require scaffolding for the installers to stand on and be able to reach the height of the roof to install the EPS parapet.
If you have more inquiries don't hesitate to reach us via any of our contact channels.

My only concern is about durability, cos I've heard it doesn't last
Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by ceelog(m): 5:20pm On Jul 10, 2018
Tazermatic:
Installation procedures will be explained in the next post. Feel free to ask any questions which I'll also take time out to answer in subsequent posts. Have a great weekend folks
Please could you describe the installation procedure for the flat parapet (Maryland house)?. Did I see woods? Or can it be cast with concrete?
Now practically, I want a simple flat (casted) or simple angle design parapet of 50m length in Abia. If I provide the reinforcement, plank and concrete, what will my bill be from you?
Re: Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) by FrontLineCont: 1:47am On Jul 15, 2018
Sir it's not concrete parapet we're talking about in those pictures. The Maryland job is a an EPS facia board and yes they are installed on the wood cladding.
Now about your building. Might you consider using EPS parapet instead of concrete parapet. Send us a mail or whatsapp message and we can send you an estimate of cost for your building. Thanks
ceelog:

Please could you describe the installation procedure for the flat parapet (Maryland house)?. Did I see woods? Or can it be cast with concrete?
Now practically, I want a simple flat (casted) or simple angle design parapet of 50m length in Abia. If I provide the reinforcement, plank and concrete, what will my bill be from you?

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Happening On The Badagry Axis? / 8 Bedroom Duplex Construction - Lakowe Golf � / Building The Badore Block Of Flats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.