Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,015 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

How Can One Overcome Writer's Block? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Can One Overcome Writer's Block? (5216 Views)

Writer's Block(pls Read And Comment) / Writer's Block / Share Your Tips On Overcoming Writer's Block (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can One Overcome Writer's Block? by Reality123: 11:39pm On Apr 18, 2010
as simple as this may seem, it really works for me. Take a very long stroll while meditating on this prose. U'll find it all coming together. Sometimes i really begin to run.

Be in your best mood too.

Good Luck.
Re: How Can One Overcome Writer's Block? by Ka2: 6:37am On Apr 19, 2010
You're doing the right thing by consulting with other writers here.

You may also want to get ideas from seeing what other writers are writing on sites like writing.com and on n a i j a s t o r i e s - d o t - c o m.
Re: How Can One Overcome Writer's Block? by eros(m): 11:09pm On Apr 19, 2010
Just passing by, thought i dropped by and read the comments. . . . . cool wink smiley
Re: How Can One Overcome Writer's Block? by AzukaO(m): 12:04pm On Apr 21, 2010
Litmus:

[size=13pt]If you "dry up" according to you, at the most interesting part of your work then you're not cut out to be a writer. Often the most interesting bits keep you going. They are the reward for the graft it takes to complete the boring bits. Pertinently though Writers Block is another word for laziness. Think of writing as 90 percent hard graft and 10 percent talent.

Try to finish what you are writing. Resist the sly excuses your mind conjures up in order to save you from the boredom of having to work at your craft. For example, no you do not need to wait until you buy a new computer to finish what you are writing. No you don’t need Dragon Naturally Speaking software to enable you to dictate to your computer instead of typing. No you do not need another soft drink. No, you do not need to go out to get fresh air or and inspiration since because you’ve spent too much time at home and your brain has become addled. Do not stop to clean up the room to make it more breezy. No excuses, write!

Put down the bits you think of as worthy of your talent as well as the bits you fear are mediocre, try not to keep going back to reread your work until you finish it. Do not play at being a writer, swooning ‘woe is me’, suffering artistically and admiring one wicked piece of line you wrote. Finish, finish, finish (that’s the key) finish what you are writing no matter how dull you think it and only then return and rework what you have done. A finished work is a blooming piece of marvel and no mistake. Much can be done to improve a finished work. At the very list, a finished work teaches you many things about writing, about yourself and gets you into a good habit.

One of the most helpful thing to do in writing, you have already ruled out, but I have found that it sometimes helps to write down all the most interesting parts first and then return and link those parts with the boring bits.
[/size]

@Litmus, you be winch (witch/wizard?) Or are you my unknown twin brother? I was scrolling down to write down my thooughts before I saw you had stolen my exact thoughts. Na waah for you ooo!

@ poster (Dominque?), I think writer's block is over-rated. Once you have a story-line (from beginning to end), just write it. If you have some problem linking some parts of the story, just go on and link them anyhow. Don't bother if it is weak or strong. The bottom-line is: complete your story! After all, nobody publishes a draft, so nobody will see your draft and laugh at you. Once you have completed the story, pat yourself on the back. You have done what millions of people cannot do: you have completed a project.

Allow the story to cool off for some time before returning to it. Go through it word for word, line by line, sentence by sentence and rewrite the weak parts using graphic words and expressions. 'He gave him a slap' and 'He slapped him' mean the same thing but the one with the action word (verb) 'slapped' sounds stronger and sharper. There are other words that can even give the slapping action greater force and impact. Get a Thesaurus.

The aim is to turn your 'draft' or 'poorly written story' into a masterpiece before it is published. Note one thing: A 'poorly written' story can still be turned into a masterpiece by the writer, but no unwritten story or abandoned story can ever be called even a book, not to talk of a masterpiece.

Write on and let the world see your book. Good luck!
Re: How Can One Overcome Writer's Block? by mykali(m): 2:10pm On Apr 21, 2010
I've been experiencing the same bloc for a week now.  I'm trying to complete a 40 line rap verse with all the rhyme schemes, metaphors, similes, wordplays . . .but i'm still stuck on the 10th line. Lol
So naturally, i read a lot of poetry and listen to lyrical rap music.
But this thread has given me new perspective. Thanks to all the contributors.
Re: How Can One Overcome Writer's Block? by sousa12: 10:02am On Nov 24, 2012
I think the rule “to each his own” applies here. There are many ways to get over writer’s block. I think the fundamental principle is to get new ideas in your head via different means. So it depends on where you might get (or prefer to get) new inspiration. Try out some of the strategies here: http://blog.printplace.com/5-strategies-for-getting-past-writers-block/ , and see if it works. The trick is to not just stare into space, just engage in new ideas and see what happens.
Re: How Can One Overcome Writer's Block? by Orikinla(m): 1:37pm On Nov 24, 2012
Read more books and surf literary websites.
Re: How Can One Overcome Writer's Block? by chronique(m): 10:39pm On Nov 24, 2012
It's not always easy. I'm a song writer & believe you me,I have written songs(full) in minutes & some,in hrs/days/weeks/months... I even have lots of choruses I've written for over 5-7years now & I still haven't completed them. When you're stuck,the best thing for you to do is to leave it & go relax or start something else. If u force it,you'll end up writing junk. The good thing about leaving it is that,someday,one little thing will happen & before you know it,the ideas you've been looking for would come. Relax & take ur mind off it.
Re: How Can One Overcome Writer's Block? by Orikinla(m): 10:04am On Nov 29, 2012
I recommend the following:

TIMOTHY
MCSWEENEY’S

overnight bag calls a lot into question.
McSweeney’s

The Ultimate Guide to Writing Better Than You Normally Do.
BY Colin Nissan
- - - -
WRITE EVERY DAY

Writing is a muscle. Smaller than a hamstring and slightly bigger than a bicep, and it needs to be exercised to get stronger. Think of your words as reps, your paragraphs as sets, your pages as daily workouts. Think of your laptop as a machine like the one at the gym where you open and close your inner thighs in front of everyone, exposing both your insecurities and your genitals. Because that is what writing is all about.
DON’T PROCRASTINATE

Procrastination is an alluring siren taunting you to Google the country where Balki from Perfect Strangers was from, and to arrange sticky notes on your dog in the shape of hilarious dog shorts. A wicked temptress beckoning you to watch your children, and take showers. Well, it’s time to look procrastination in the eye and tell that seafaring wench, “Sorry not today, today I write.”
FIGHT THROUGH WRITER’S BLOCK

The blank white page. El Diablo Blanco. El Pollo Loco. Whatever you choose to call it, staring into the abyss in search of an idea can be terrifying. But ask yourself this; was Picasso intimidated by the blank canvas? Was Mozart intimidated by the blank sheet music? Was Edison intimidated by the blank lightbulb? If you’re still blocked up, ask yourself more questions, like; Why did I quit my job at TJ Maxx to write full-time? Can/should I eat this entire box of Apple Jacks? Is The Price is Right on at 10 or 11?
LEARN FROM THE MASTERS

Mark Twain once said, “Show, don’t tell.” This is an incredibly important lesson for writers to remember; never get such a giant head that you feel entitled to throw around obscure phrases like “Show, don’t tell.” Thanks for nothing, Mr. Cryptic.

FIND YOUR MUSE

Finding a really good muse these days isn’t easy, so plan on going through quite a few before landing on a winner. Beware of muses who promise unrealistic timelines for your projects or who wear wizard clothes. When honing in on a promising new muse, also be on the lookout for other writers attempting to swoop in and muse-block you. Just be patient in your search, because the right muse/human relationship can last a lifetime.
HONE YOUR CRAFT

There are two things more difficult than writing. The first is editing, the second is expert level Sudoku where there’s literally two goddamned squares filled in. While editing is a grueling process, if you really work hard at it, in the end you may find that your piece has fewer words than it did before. Which, is great. Perhaps George Bernard Shaw said it best when upon sending a letter to a close friend, he wrote, “I’m sorry this letter is so long, I didn’t have time to make it shorter.” No quote better illustrates the point that writers are very busy.

ASK FOR FEEDBACK

It’s so easy to hide in your little bubble, typing your little words with your little fingers on your little laptop from the comfort of your tiny chair in your miniature little house. I’m taking this tone to illustrate the importance of developing a thick skin. Remember, the only kind of criticism that doesn’t make you a better writer is dishonest criticism. That, and someone telling you that you have weird shoulders.
READ, READ, READ

It’s no secret that great writers are great readers, and that if you can’t read, your writing will often suffer. Similarly, if you can read but have to move your lips to get through the longer words, you’ll still be a pretty bad writer. Also, if you pronounce “espresso” like “expresso.”
STUDY THE RULES, THEN BREAK THEM

Part of finding your own voice as a writer is finding your own grammar. Don’t spend your career lost in a sea of copycats when you can establish your own set of rules. If everyone’s putting periods at the end of their sentences, put yours in the middle of words. Will it be incredibly difficult to read? Yes it will. Will it set you on the path to becoming a literary pioneer? Tough to say, but you’re kind of out of options at this point.
KEEP IT TOGETHER

A writer’s brain is full of little gifts, like a piñata at a birthday party. It’s also full of demons, like a piñata at a birthday party in a mental hospital. The truth is, it’s demons that keep a tortured writer’s spirit alive, not Tootsie Rolls. Sure they’ll give you a tiny burst of energy, but they won’t do squat for your writing. So treat your demons with the respect they deserve, and with enough prescriptions to keep you wearing pants.
Re: How Can One Overcome Writer's Block? by tpia1: 10:06am On Nov 29, 2012
you have to get the interest back, first of all.
Re: How Can One Overcome Writer's Block? by Coolval222(m): 4:21pm On Dec 01, 2012
tpia1: you have to get the interest back, first of all.
exactly

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where To Download Cyprian Ekwensi's Works For Free / How I Spent The Ramadan Holiday – Reflection. / Vampire's love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.