Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,528 members, 7,823,302 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Iceland Volcano Grounds England - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Iceland Volcano Grounds England (1992 Views)

Iceland Visa And Other Inquires.... / Nigerians In Iceland / Iceland Univerity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iceland Volcano Grounds England by Shaunscot(m): 11:39pm On Apr 15, 2010
All flights to and from the United Kingdom have been cancelled.

Only emergency flights are allowed at the moment.

There are several sources but I quoted one below.

Source
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by Shaunscot(m): 10:32am On Apr 16, 2010
Update,

All flights have been cancelled till 1.00pm on Saturday

Check Heathrow for update
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by cibilola(f): 12:15pm On Apr 16, 2010
very upsetting, i think my flight to naija tomorrow may be cancelled, can you imagine all the weeks to planning that I have put into this trip? sad God has a reason for everything though undecided
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by Shaunscot(m): 1:18pm On Apr 16, 2010
im actually a victim.
My 2 bags are the airport are costing me every 24 hrs.
Its crazy, I've had to reschedule al my activities.
Was due Naija on Friday morning but I might not get there till Sunday
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by samoyin(m): 1:49pm On Apr 16, 2010
VOLCANIC ERUPTION IN ICELAND AFFECTS FLIGHTS TO EUROPE
Dear Forumites,

It is no more new that a volcanic eruption has occurred in Iceland the second largest
Island in Europe spreading this cloudy dust towards UK and other European Countries.

Just about all the flight which were meant to depart to Europe yesterday were canceled
due to dust produced by the Volcanic eruption. The poor visibility and the danger of the
dust to aircraft engines posse danger to aviation safety.

We strongly hope that the airspace will become safer in a very short while, so the
flights could resume.

Please nairalanders in Europe please update the forum on latest on this issue, please
endeavour to adhere to all expert advise on the present environmental condition.

Hope to get more information from you.

Samoyin,
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by lonelydude: 11:49pm On Apr 16, 2010
I was affected too. Was supposed to be in naija saturday morning but had to reschedule my flight.
Very frustrating but like cibilola said, God has a reason for everything.
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by cibilola(f): 10:13am On Apr 17, 2010
ok, my flight to naija is defintely cancelled now sad can't travel tonight. i have tried calling virgin to re-book, can't get through to them. i was on hold for 45 mins! my uncle is due back from naija on sunday. . . i doubt he will be able to fly, and he needs to be back for work on monday. my grandma that i am meant to visit is not happy, neither am i oh! sad so many plans come to nothing, man proposes but God. . .
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by Shaunscot(m): 10:53am On Apr 17, 2010
I was due back to Naija on Thursday and Im still here.
All my plans have to be rescheduled. The issue is - I dont even know when Im leaving this forsaken town. sad
Im also due back at work but I've been trying to call my boss to explain to him.Dont know what actions they will take. undecided
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by lonelydude: 11:37am On Apr 17, 2010
@cibilola, you have to keep calling.
Although, not travelling with Virgin but I was able to reschedule with my airline. I believe the situation should have improved by then.

@shaunscot,
I don't think your boss will be mad at you but that's if he knew you travelled.
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by cibilola(f): 12:58pm On Apr 17, 2010
lonelydude:

@cibilola, you have to keep calling.
Although, not travelling with Virgin but I was able to reschedule with my airline. I believe the situation should have improved by then.

Yep, still trying to get through to Virgin the whole morning! as i am typing these, i'm still on hold for 20 mins now. I hope i get through soon! It is also very discouranging that UK airspace is closed till 1am Sunday morning. I bet before that time, they will move the restriction further for another day. . . na wa oh! This iceland thing wan come get as e be sad angry

Sorry Shaunscot, i hope you will be able to get a favourable date when you reschedule. . .Your boss should not take any radical actions because this situation is obviously out of your hands completely,
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by Shaunscot(m): 2:01pm On Apr 17, 2010
Thanks guys.
The issue is we dont even know when this would clear up so to reschedule will still be tentative.
I was on hold for 8 minutes and 10 minutes when I called Arik's line
When I finally got through,I ran out of airtime-pretty sad init?

Anyway,Im just hoping.Considering my luggage is accumulating bills at the airport everyday.

Spoke to my bosses, I was just told to keep them posted.
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by lonelydude: 2:29pm On Apr 17, 2010
So sad, the problem now is that the volcanic eruption doesn't seem to be subsiding.

The other possibility, however, will be a situation where the wind changes direction maybe towards the Northwest. The irony of the whole is that Iceland is not being affected by the spreading of the volcanic ash.

I pray the hand of God shifts the direction of the wind by 180 degrees. I just want to get out of the country.
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by Shaunscot(m): 2:36am On Apr 18, 2010
For 4 days now,flights to and from most of europe have been cancelled.
At what point do threads make front page on this forum?
Anyway,heathrow flights have been postponed to Sunday afternoon again.
Only God knows when this Volcano will stop (or the ash will clear from England)
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by tunnytox(m): 3:44am On Apr 18, 2010
Flights to UK has been suspended till 19.00hrs BST on Sunday. I just pray this volcanic eruption will stop, i'm expecting my little sister from Nigeria on Tuesday and she's really looking forward to this trip i just pray she can board on monday night.
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by cibilola(f): 8:04am On Apr 18, 2010
today again i have woken up in UK soil instead of Naija cry this ash and volcano thing is starting to get to me now. . . at least weather in th UK seems nice
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by demm121(m): 10:17am On Apr 18, 2010
chartered private flight out of london. [sta]call dem-07958952067.

Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by Shaunscot(m): 10:56am On Apr 18, 2010
tunnytox:

Flights to UK has been suspended till 19.00hrs BST on Sunday. I just pray this volcanic eruption will stop, i'm expecting my little sister from Nigeria on Tuesday and she's really looking forward to this trip i just pray she can board on monday night.
Postponed till 0100am on Monday

cibilola:

today again i have woken up in UK soil instead of Naija cry this ash and volcano thing is starting to get to me now. . . at least weather in th UK seems nice
lol, Na my load wey dey airport dey pain me.that stuff is costing me money daily.
Weather seems ok but airspace is bad, Na wa O

demm121:

Is your private flight going to drive or swim out of the UK?Cos last I heard,ALL flights have been cancelled (private or public)
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by Fiver: 3:19pm On Apr 18, 2010
Was expecting my cousin from across the pond, unfortunately the damn thing wont stop flowing!!
was making preparations to go pick her up early in the morning told but alas no flights on sunday too

I hope they refund everyone o or atleast re-schedule people's flight because im hearing they wont do refunds cos its a nature
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by lonelydude: 5:43pm On Apr 18, 2010
Restriction extended to 07:00am even after the several successful flight tests. What is all these rubbish sef angry

AMSTERDAM – Several major airlines safely flew test flights without passengers over Europe on Sunday despite official warnings about the dangers of a volcanic ash plume, fueling a corporate push to end an economically devastating ban on commercial air traffic.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines said that by midday Sunday it had flown four planes through what it described as a gap in the layer of microscopic dust over Holland and Germany. The ash began spewing from an Icelandic volcano Wednesday and has drifted across most of Europe, shutting down airports as far south and east as Bulgaria.

Air France, Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines have also sent up test flights, although most traveled below the altitudes where the ash has been heavily concentrated.

KLM said its planes of various types flew the 115-mile (185-km) flight from Duesseldorf in western Germany to Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport at an unspecified normal altitude above 10,000 feet (3,000 meters). They did not encounter the thick though invisible cloud of ash, whose main band has floated from 20,000 to 32,000 feet, the height of most commercial flight paths.

The announcement prompted some airline officials to wonder whether authorities had overreacted to concerns that the tiny particles of volcanic ash could jam up the engines of passenger jets. The possibility that the ash had thinned or dispersed over parts of Europe heightened pressure from airline officials losing hundreds of millions of dollars a day to end a flight stoppage that has thrown global travel into chaos and left millions stranded far from home.

"With the weather we are encountering now — clear blue skies and obviously no dense ash cloud to be seen, in our opinion there is absolutely no reason to worry about resuming flights," said Steven Verhagen, vice president of the Dutch Airline Pilots Association and a Boeing 737 pilot for KLM.

"We are asking the authorities to really have a good look at the situation, because 100 percent safety does not exist," Verhagen said. "It's easy to close down air space because then it's perfectly safe. But at some time you have to resume flights."

Meteorologists warned, however, that the situation above Europe remained unstable and constantly changing with the varying winds — and the unpredictability was compounded by the irregular eruptions from the Icelandic volcano spitting more ash into the sky.

KLM had permission from Dutch and European aviation authorities before sending the planes aloft but the Dutch and most other European authorities kept their air space closed to passenger traffic until at least 1800 GMT (1 p.m. EDT) Sunday, saying conditions remained risky.

KLM's first test flight was Saturday and the airline said it planned to return more planes without passengers to Amsterdam from Duesseldorf on Sunday, planning to bring the total number of flights to 10 by the end of the day. Engineers immediately took the aircraft for inspection as they landed.

"We hope to receive permission as soon as possible after that to start up our operation and to transport our passengers to their destinations," said Chief Executive Peter Hartman, who was aboard one of Saturday's flights.

read the rest here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100418/ap_on_re_eu/eu_iceland_volcano
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by lonelydude: 5:45pm On Apr 18, 2010
demm121:

Are you for real? cheesy

I don't mind o.
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by Fiver: 5:46pm On Apr 18, 2010
It is very typical of europeans to over react, Health and safety is good but sometimes they take the Piss!!!

the economy is suffering! airlines are losing money, Uk is losing £200m a day!! Nigeria airlines not getting stimulus are also losing out !!!
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by Nobody: 4:26am On Apr 20, 2010
I still dont get how a volcanic eruption in iceland managed to affect the whole of europe?

quite amazing. Never heard anything like it before.
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by Nobody: 4:29am On Apr 20, 2010
You see, ppl are getting tired of all these natural disasters.

Thatz why the media is not even paying much attention to this one. I heard about another earthquake in China sha
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by Nobody: 4:45am On Apr 20, 2010
^^ and they said the cloud of ash is invisible sef.

very puzzling.
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by Nobody: 4:58am On Apr 20, 2010
lmao! grin

Is this the volcano eruption they said they could see from space?
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by lonelydude: 10:08am On Apr 20, 2010
If this eruption of a thing was in Naija or africa, I doubt if they'll have stop flying.

Can you imagine that just as the ban on flight restriction was being lifted, another cloud of ash emerged from the volcanic eruption in Iceland.

Omo, see as Iceland dey control every body.

MAY BE THE WORLD IS ABOUT TO END.
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by Shaunscot(m): 11:56am On Apr 20, 2010
tpia.:

I still dont get how a volcanic eruption in iceland managed to affect the whole of europe?

quite amazing. Never heard anything like it before.

The ash from the volcano contains ice and some other particles and it is feared that this ash can damage the plane engines.

The same thing has happened twice in the past and both planes managed to land.

lonelydude:

If this eruption of a thing was in Naija or africa, I doubt if they'll have stop flying.

Can you imagine that just as the ban on flight restriction was being lifted, another cloud of ash emerged from the volcanic eruption in Iceland.

Omo, see as Iceland dey control every body.

MAY BE THE WORLD IS ABOUT TO END.

With all these natural disasters, you may not be far from the truth.
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 20, 2010
^^^Abeg, d world shd'nt come to an end nw ooo, i've to experience western life first ooo.
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by snowdrops(m): 12:34pm On Apr 20, 2010
A friend on a 3 month visiting visa expiring this weekend had flight cancelled last week. Now with no end in sight to the travel chaos he is by default about to overstay his visa.
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by lonelydude: 1:00pm On Apr 20, 2010
Another cloud of volcanic ash towards the UK and airports to be closed again.

WETIN UK & EUROPE DO SEF?
Abeg, Make I comot first o
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by asas(f): 1:42pm On Apr 20, 2010
For those stranded in the UK, the federal government of Nigeria has advised the following routes to get home
‎​1. Take the eurostar to france
2. Enter bus to spain
3. Sail (or swim) to morocco,
4. Then fly to lagos,
Re: Iceland Volcano Grounds England by snowdrops(m): 8:24pm On Apr 20, 2010
asas:

For those stranded in the UK, the federal government of Nigeria has advised the following routes to get home
‎​1. Take the eurostar to france
2. Enter bus to spain
3. Sail (or swim) to morocco,
4. Then fly to lagos,
Or just see it as an opportunity for an extended european holiday wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

ff / The Five Worst Passports In The World For Visa-free Travel. / My Ordeal At Soekarno-hatta International Airport Jakarta, Indonesia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.