Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,930 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Quotes From The Catholic Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Quotes From The Catholic Church (1382 Views)

Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? / What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? / Bride-To-Be Swept Away By Flood In Anambra Catholic Church (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quotes From The Catholic Church by otr1(m): 1:25pm On Jan 27, 2018
Below you will find a large number of quotes that have come from the Roman Catholic Church during it's history.

For protestants who are still searching the Bible to justify sunday worship, stop your search from the Scriptures. Here is your answer.

"The authority of the church could therefore not be bound to the authority of the Scriptures, because The Church had changed...the Sabbath into Sunday, not by command of Christ, but by its own authority." (Canon and Tradition, p. 263)

"Not the Creator of Universe, in Genesis 2:1-3,-but the Catholic Church can claim the honor of having granted man a pause to his work every seven days." (S. C. Mosna, Storia della Domenica, 1969, pp. 366-367)

"The Pope is of great authority and power that he can modify, explain, or interpret even divine laws... The Pope can modify divine law, since his power is not of man, but of God, and he acts as vicegerent of God upon earth." (Lucius Ferraris, Prompta Ribliotheca, Papa, art. 2, translated)

"The Pope has the power to change times, to abrogate laws, and to dispense with all things, even the precepts of Christ. The Pope has the authority and often exercised it, to dispense with the command of Christ." (Decretal, de Tranlatic Episcop. Cap. (The Pope can modify divine law.) Ferraris' Ecclesiastical Dictionary)

"Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her; --she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority." (Rev. Stephan Keenan, A Doctrinal Catechism, On the Obedience Due to the Church, chap. 2, p. 174. (Imprimatur, John Cardinal McCloskey, archbishop of New York)

See what the Bible said about a power that would seek to changes times and law:

Daniel 7:25King James Version (KJV)
"And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time."

Pope Declared as "God on Earth"

"The Pope is not simply the representative of Jesus Christ. On the contrary, he is Jesus Christ Himself, under the veil of the flesh." (Evangelical Christendom, January 1, 1895, pg. 15, published in London by J. S. Phillips)

"Against this background of love towards Holy Church, 'the pillar and bulwark of the truth' (1 Tim 3:15), we readily understand the devotion of Saint Francis of Assisi for 'THE LORD POPE', the daughterly outspokenness of Saint Catherine of Siena towards the one whom she called 'SWEET CHRIST ON EARTH'." (Pope John Paul II, Apostolic Exhortation on the Consecrated Life and Its Mission in the Church and in the World, to the bishops and clergy, religious orders and congregations, societies of apostolic life, secular institutes, and all the faithful, given in Rome, at Saint Peter's, March 25, 1996)

"The Pope is of so great dignity, and so exalted that he is not a mere man, but as it were God and the vicar of God." (Ferraris Ecclesiastical dictionary)

"All names which in the Scriptures are applied to Christ, by virtue of which it is established that He is over the church, all the same names are applied to the Pope." (On the Authority of the Councils, book 2, chapter 17)
The Pope and God are the same, so he has all power in Heaven and earth." (Pope Pius V, quoted in Barclay, Chapter XXVII, p. 218, "Cities Petrus Bertanous)

"And he shall speak great words against the Most High..."(Dan. 7:25)

Does this sound like the church of Christ? I say not a chance!

http://www.the-bible-antichrist.com/antichrist-speaks.html
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by Luisema4luv(m): 1:44pm On Jan 27, 2018
Y quoting some part of a text of some people (na so una dey do wit Bible), read the full tin nd pray for understanding
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by otr1(m): 1:59pm On Jan 27, 2018
Luisema4luv:
Y quoting some part of a text of some people (na so una dey do wit Bible), read the full tin nd pray for understanding
Part that says alot about the whole.
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by Luisema4luv(m): 2:01pm On Jan 27, 2018
otr1:

Nah nt always d case..... Pastors will tell u so except dem wan lie gv u
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jan 27, 2018
otr1:

If you are actually interested to know what the Catholic Church says read from authoritative Catholic documents, like the Catechism, Dogmatic Constitutions, infallible papal documents like Ineffabilis Deus fror example and the teachings of Saints and Doctors of the Church. They are available free on the internet. I suggest you read most St Thomas Aquinas' (the prince of the Doctors of the Church) teachings in the Summa Theologica. You will learn a lot about Catholic beliefs there.
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by otr1(m): 7:01pm On Jan 27, 2018
Papist:

If you are actually interested to know what the Catholic Church says read from authoritative Catholic documents, like the Catechism, Dogmatic Constitutions, infallible papal documents like Ineffabilis Deus fror example and the teachings of Saints and Doctors of the Church. They are available free on the internet. I suggest you read most St Thomas Aquinas' (the prince of the Doctors of the Church) teachings in the Summa Theologica. You will learn a lot about Catholic beliefs there.
You didn't see the first quote and quotes from your Popes in the posts?
They're are authoritative enough.
And by the way, you just mentioned a former catholic.
I had access to all these documents you mentioned and have been to the Vatican several times. I'm not sure you know any more about the Roman Catholic Church than I do
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by otr1(m): 7:08pm On Jan 27, 2018
Luisema4luv:

Nah nt always d case..... Pastors will tell u so except dem wan lie gv u
Which Pastor are you talking about?
You mean Pastors of Churches that are protestant in name, but catholic in doctrine?
This is my opinion, not influenced by that of any Pastor who would certainly disagree with me on why they actually worship on sundays.
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by Luisema4luv(m): 11:20pm On Jan 27, 2018
otr1:

Which Pastor are you talking about?
You mean Pastors of Churches that are protestant in name, but catholic in doctrine?
This is my opinion, not influenced by that of any Pastor who would certainly disagree with me on why they actually worship on sundays.

Wat re u saying, do u dwell on phrases or full scripture to back up ur claims, if it is the former den i must say u re getting every point so wrong
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by Luisema4luv(m): 11:23pm On Jan 27, 2018
otr1:

You didn't see the first quote and quotes from your Popes in the posts?
They're are authoritative enough.
And by the way, you just mentioned a former catholic.
I had access to all these documents you mentioned and have been to the Vatican several times. I'm not sure you know any more about the Roman Catholic Church than I do

Hmmm u will b very suprised at the little u actually knw
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by otr1(m): 8:53am On Jan 29, 2018
Luisema4luv:

Hmmm u will b very suprised at the little u actually knw
We have at least two quotes from two different Popes here. There are more of them actually. You're actually saying Pope's words are authoritative enough?
By the way, canon and traditions of the Catholic Church is about the most authentic doctrinal document of the church.
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by otr1(m): 8:55am On Jan 29, 2018
Luisema4luv:

Wat re u saying, do u dwell on phrases or full scripture to back up ur claims, if it is the former den i must say u re getting every point so wrong
Full or part, no right thinking Christian would utter such blasphemy either in part or whole.
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by Luisema4luv(m): 11:04am On Jan 29, 2018
otr1:

Full or part, no right thinking Christian would utter such blasphemy either in part or whole.

Geez u gat no point bro, u dnt judge wen u hv no knowledge of wat is or nt, wen u die nd discover u hv wrong all along hw will u feel.
I.e If it works for u stay wer u re nt looking for who to slander cuz u might b very wrong come d last day.
Am a catholic nd wud gladly discuss nd teach u my POV as a catholic on Christianity only if u re actually open to learning nt because u want to argue....... One love
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by Luisema4luv(m): 11:08am On Jan 29, 2018
otr1:

We have at least two quotes from two different Popes here. There are more of them actually. You're actually saying Pope's words are authoritative enough?
By the way, canon and traditions of the Catholic Church is about the most authentic doctrinal document of the church.

Oga pope is the final authority of the catholic church nd mind u it does nt matter if u lik it or nt bt u just get to accept wat the church says (even pentecostal churches sef must obey) ..... Sunday, lent, Easter..... Should I continue?.... Y because we re the actual gospel nd truth so relax nd seek wisdom grin
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by otr1(m): 9:18pm On Jan 29, 2018
Luisema4luv:

Geez u gat no point bro, u dnt judge wen u hv no knowledge of wat is or nt, wen u die nd discover u hv wrong all along hw will u feel.
I.e If it works for u stay wer u re nt looking for who to slander cuz u might b very wrong come d last day.
Am a catholic nd wud gladly discuss nd teach u my POV as a catholic on Christianity only if u re actually open to learning nt because u want to argue....... One love
Look at those quotes and tell me which of them should be uttered by a Bible believing Christian?
Is the Pope Jesus Christ?
Is it right to change God's Law?
I don't know what point you're making here.
And you have nothing to teach me about Catholic Church if you're not at least a Rev. Father.
Just answer the two questions above. That's the theme of this post.
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by otr1(m): 9:25pm On Jan 29, 2018
Luisema4luv:

Oga pope is the final authority of the catholic church nd mind u it does nt matter if u lik it or nt bt u just get to accept wat the church says (even pentecostal churches sef must obey) ..... Sunday, lent, Easter..... Should I continue?.... Y because we re the actual gospel nd truth so relax nd seek wisdom grin
First, it's not a must to obey. I don't go to church on Sundays, neither do I observe lent or celebrate Easter.
Of course, we have almost all the so-called churches of Christ wondering after the Roman Church. Rev. 17:5 told us that the Catholic Church is the Mother of harlots. And you wonder who the harlots are? They are all churches that adopt any doctrine of the fallen Church. Or why do you think they call Catholic the mother church?
You sure have no idea.
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by Luisema4luv(m): 11:17pm On Jan 29, 2018
otr1:

First, it's not a must to obey. I don't go to church on Sundays, neither do I observe lent or celebrate Easter.
Of course, we have almost all the so-called churches of Christ wondering after the Roman Church. Rev. 17:5 told us that the Catholic Church is the Mother of harlots. And you wonder who the harlots are? They are all churches that adopt any doctrine of the fallen Church. Or why do you think they call Catholic the mother church?
You sure have no idea.
First tin first u re actually quoting spoil frm ur rev 17:5 cuz ur quote does nt in any way come into play or may b u just want to quote anytin to back ur lame point
If u dnt go to church, do lent or Easther, den y re we having dis conversation
Good luck wit ur false thinking. One love nd peace out
Re: Quotes From The Catholic Church by otr1(m): 10:39pm On Feb 01, 2018
Luisema4luv:

First tin first u re actually quoting spoil frm ur rev 17:5 cuz ur quote does nt in any way come into play or may b u just want to quote anytin to back ur lame point
Well, I won't blame you if you can't see the relationship between the Roman Catholic Church and the Babylon The Great mentioned in Rev. 17:5. I understand you can only believe what your Priests and Catechists tell you
and you don't ever study the Bible on your own.
If u dnt go to church, do lent or Easther, den y re we having dis conversation
Why should I go to any Church that hold fellowship on a day different from what is obtainable from the Bible, just because Catholic Church says so?
Or why should I celebrate Easter, a pagan festival to mark the end of winter solstice? May be I need to remind you that the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus can fall on any day of the week and not necessarily a sunday as it is. Jesus was raised from the dead, the third day after Passover. The third after passover should always be for the celebration of Jesus resurrection if there ever should be anything like that. And yes, no one is obliged to observe the Catholic lenten period. Even in Nigeria, many churches don't. I know of RCCG and Living Faith for certain.
Good luck wit ur false thinking. One love nd peace out
Well, I'll leave you with a Bible verse: Rev. 18:4 "...Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins..."
It's not too late.

(1) (Reply)

Odumeje Thelionhimself Beaten By Police For Touching Gov Of Kano State / What The Actual F--- Was The Meaning Of That Job Story? / Heaven And Hell Do Not Exist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.