Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos (2403 Views)

Nigerian Drug Dealer Arrested In Thailand After A Hot Chase By The Police(pics) / Nigerian Woman Arrested In US For Striping Unclad In Front Of Police (Photos) / Man Inserts Cocaine In Anus From Brazil, Arrested In Lagos Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by knotty(m): 1:18am On Apr 16, 2010
By Godwin Oritse & Godfrey Bivbere

LAGOS—FOLLOWING an alarm raised by the Nigerian Ports Authority, NPA, the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, yesterday arrested and detained a Maersk Line vessel, ‘MV Nashiville,’ laden with toxic waste.

The crew on board the vessel and its agents were also arrested and detained, pending investigation.

The vessel was operated by American President Lines, APL, a wholly owned subsidiary of a Singapore based Neptune Orient Lines, and had in its hold, among other things, 70 storage (lead) batteries classified as Basel codeA1180 and broken televisions.

The ship’s agent, Vanguard gathered, was detained at the intelligence unit of the Tin-Can Island Command of the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS.

Sources close to the Tin-Can Island Port Customs Command, told Vanguard, that the vessel actually arrived the country on 9 April, 2010 and discharged some of its contents at the Federal Ocean Terminal at Onne in Rivers State.

It was learnt that the vessel left Onne and arrived Lagos on 11 April , 2010, and that the NPA allowed it to berth at Berth 7B early yesterday.

The vessel reportedly met its waterloo following a memo from the National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency, NESREA, to the NPA, which in turn alerted security agencies at the port.

Vanguard learnt that Maersk Line had earlier written to the NCS on April 12, 2010, requesting for berthing permission at berth ‘C’ of the Tin-Can Island Port.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/04/16/toxic-waste-ship-arrested-in-lagos/
Part of Maersk Line’s letter reads: “Please be informed that the above named vessel is scheduled to arrive Tin-Can Port Berth TC 7B. We shall be grateful for your usual immediate clearance and cooperation.”

Memo from NPA general manager

It was learnt that following the memo, the Customs service and other security agencies swung into action and monitored the movement of the vessel until she was arrested and detained.

A memo from the NPA signed by Malam Mohammed Bulago, General Manager, Western Ports to the port managers of the Lagos Port Complex and the Tin-Can Island Port informed them of the movement of the vessel and she was quickly granted a berthing space.

Part of NPA’s memo reads: “Please find forwarded herewith the letter from the office of the Director-General, National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency, NESREA, with reference NESREA/I &E/343/1/83, dated April 7, 2010 concerning the above-mentioned subject matter.

“You are to urgently direct respective terminal operators to monitor the vessel MV Nashville and the container UESU-463595-0 and to detain the container on discharge and inform the agency accordingly.”

Efforts to speak with both the arrested ship agent and the Customs Area Comptroller in charge of the Tin-can Island Port Customs Command, Alhaji Sadiq Sahabi, were futile as he was said to be awaiting directives from the Customs headquarters in Abuja.

It will be recalled that in 1988, over 3,500 tonnes of toxic waste were dumped at Koko in Delta State which caused unpalatable consequences on people of the area, including sudden deaths. The menace of toxic waste dumps, according to experts, has greater challenge because it is a silent killer.

Toxic waste dumps, such as used electronic products, batteries, computers, telephone handsets and used tyres, spark off huge radioactive waves which permeate the skin surfaces and blood vessels leading to the development of cancer of various kinds, high blood pressure, hypertension and heart attacks, among others.
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by knotty(m): 1:25am On Apr 16, 2010
i hope they don`t come back to eat up their word by telling us that the information they had was incomplete in the first place.

we have seen enough of this stuff that turned to be balderdash.

remember the case of the seized 40`container laden with weapons? it turned out to be misplaced.

what about the MEND weapon laden aircraft apprehended in Kano?

we wait and see the outcome of this.
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by violent(m): 2:38am On Apr 16, 2010
Their asses ought to be tried for attempted murder!
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by Osama10(m): 4:14am On Apr 16, 2010
Another koko in the making.
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by RICHIEBOI1(m): 9:41am On Apr 16, 2010
nigeria is now a dumping ground for toxic waste. hope this isnt swept as usual under the carpet. angry
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by indie22(f): 12:15pm On Apr 16, 2010
Only in nigeria, can this kinda thing happen, and to think someone somewhere is sitting his fat ass on a fat bribe, just to get this into the country,
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by marocguy(m): 12:35pm On Apr 16, 2010
Bravo 2 d environmental people 4 dis one. As 4 custom and navy n co, we all knw dis is naija,so expect another headline in a few weeks readn "TOXIC WASTE SHIP MISSING. NPA,NAMA,CUSTOMS AND NAVY CHIEFS FACE PANEL"
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by Basics007: 12:55pm On Apr 16, 2010
Really wont be surprised if the contents of that ship somehow ends up in the Nigerian market or the ship itself goes missing. Sadly that's the reality of being a Nigerian. But for now,let's say thanks for all the authorities involved in apprehending this ship.
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by emmydee(m): 1:25pm On Apr 16, 2010
bomb the stupid country from where d waste came. Jail the crew 4 life! idiots.
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by AroOkigbo(m): 1:28pm On Apr 16, 2010
As we await the rejoinder,
don't forget that no matter what the ship is carrying "there's always a price tag"

ship owners pay the necessary fees to "concerned authorities"
dumps the waste
gets "strong warning"
never get into Nigeria territorial waters again
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by Nobody: 1:31pm On Apr 16, 2010
knowing naija, some business man probably ordered those goods
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by saintiyke(m): 1:41pm On Apr 16, 2010
I heard NPA got d intel from outside the country. Thanks to d informant. They couldnt have spotted it on their own cos we dont have d device that detect such rubbish. Investigations should be experdise to knw d country dis shit is comin frm.This could have gradually increase the number of people that had cancer in naija.
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by elelem(m): 3:33pm On Apr 16, 2010
I think there is more to this story . Or is this a disguised chemical war against our country
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by mrkoma2012: 9:13pm On Apr 16, 2010
This what happens when institutions fail
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by Rmc1(m): 9:57pm On Apr 16, 2010
May God punish all those trying to destroy my beautifull country nigeria because of greed!
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by dfaffy: 11:28pm On Apr 16, 2010
I think this shows the sorry state of this nation called Nigeria. This is a country where there are laws but the laws are made useless and corruption is the order of the day. If this were not so why would other countries have the guts to dump their toxic wastes in Nigeria.
As usual certain people have been bribed even before the cargo set forth for Nigeria. I just hope this is not swept under the carpet and the lives of the citizens are endangered.
Sometimes one wonders how certain individuals could be so heartless as to put the lives of other people on the line all for the sake of money.
I do not blame the country with the toxic waste i blame Nigeria cos we made our nation their dumping ground. cry
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by comechop(m): 1:22am On Apr 17, 2010
not to be grammer nazi but - how do you arrest a SHIP? You tell am say make ein hands up abi wetin? naija eh cheesy cheesy
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by sulad82i(m): 4:54am On Apr 17, 2010
comechop:

not to be grammer nazi but - how do you arrest a SHIP? You tell am say make ein hands up abi wetin? naija eh cheesy cheesy

I shake my head,

Let me ask you a question, How do you arrest a gun that killed someone? Do you just arrest the gun or arrest the person that pulled the trigger?

, Just dont tell me you have to use magnet to arrest the gun cos it seems you might be that dumb.
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by naijacutee(f): 9:49am On Apr 17, 2010
Enough is enough of this nonsense. I believe that the Lagos of today is up to the task of sending that ship back to wherever it came from and not allowing it to berth. What will "the country of it's origin" do if a Nigerian ship laden with toxic waste was sent there?
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by sley4life(m): 3:52pm On Apr 17, 2010
The culprit should be jailed. Trying to pollute the country
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by violent(m): 5:38pm On Apr 18, 2010
Just dont tell me you have to use magnet to arrest the gun cos it seems you might be that dumb.

grin grin grin grin

Buh seriously, can someone in all truthfulness be that dumb?
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by Osama10(m): 3:38am On Apr 19, 2010
Gabbage in Gabbage out, return the f%%king ship to where is coming from.
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by akwaowoudo(m): 10:22pm On Apr 19, 2010
Another Koko in the making. What a mess?
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by eros(m): 11:38pm On Apr 19, 2010
The Nigerian customs had better send that ship back to the country it came from before those responsible for it plead with the powers that be and before you know it, the toxic waste mysteriously disappears. . . . .Naija style
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by hackney(m): 6:21pm On Apr 23, 2010
What's new?
toxic waste has been arriving in benin since the '70's.
if they want to stop the trend that's good news otherwise it's
nothing new
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by splashbaby(m): 1:18pm On Apr 24, 2010
mrkoma2012:

This what happens when institutions fail
And nobody does nothing, you and me
Re: Toxic Waste Ship Arrested In Lagos by bmwlondon: 5:44am On Jun 21, 2010
job man

(1) (Reply)

A Gang-rape Victim At The Age Of 13 With The Worst Imaginable Outcome (pics) / Graphic Video : Boy Gruesomely Murdered / Armed Robbers Hack Vigilante Member To Death In Rivers After Bullet Failed (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.