Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,867 members, 7,956,278 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:04 AM

Roger Federer Becomes First Man To Win 20 Grand Slams As He Beats Marin Cilic - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Roger Federer Becomes First Man To Win 20 Grand Slams As He Beats Marin Cilic (432 Views)

The 15 Most Popular Athletes Of All Time Ft, Messi, Ronaldo, Bolt, Federer & Ali / Roger Federer Tops Rafael Nadal In Wimbledon Semifinals / Roger Federer Wins 100th ATP Tour Singles Title (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Roger Federer Becomes First Man To Win 20 Grand Slams As He Beats Marin Cilic by sunky97: 2:28pm On Jan 28, 2018
Roger Federer beat Marin Cilic in five sets in the Australian Open final Sunday to become the first man to win 20 grand slam titles.

Federer also collected his sixth crown in Australia -- tying Roy Emerson and Novak Djokovic for the men's lead -- by defeating the sixth-ranked Croatian 6-2 6-7 (5-7) 6-3 3-6 6-1 in just over three hours in steamy Melbourne.

"The fairy tale continues for us, for me, after the great year I had last year," Federer, who won the Australian Open and Wimbledon in 2017, told the crowd. "It's incredible."
An emotional Federer then thanked the crowd, who chanted, 'Let's go, Roger' to get the 36-year-old over the finish line in the fifth set.
"I'd like to thank you for everything," he said, his voice cracking. "You guys make me nervous, you make me practice."
With temperatures hovering around 37 degrees Celsius when the match began, organizers opted to use the roof at Rod Laver Arena, a relief to both players and the fans.
When Federer cruised in the first set, it did nothing to foreshadow the drama to come.
Cilic -- in a rematch of the Wimbledon final easily won by Federer -- rallied from a break deficit in the fourth and the 2014 US Open winner held a pair of break points to start the fifth. The Swiss hung on, then broke immediately and didn't look back.
He sealed proceedings with a second serve on the line that was challenged by Cilic.
Federer raised his arms in celebration and then shared a nice exchange with Cilic, who he practiced with while on holiday in the Maldives in the off-season.

Caroline Wozniacki won the women's final Saturday to open her grand slam account, beating Simona Halep in another gripping contest.

http://tellmystory.com.ng/federer-becomes-first-man-to-win-20-grand-slams-as-he-beats-marin-cilic/

Re: Roger Federer Becomes First Man To Win 20 Grand Slams As He Beats Marin Cilic by Nwodosis(m): 2:37pm On Jan 28, 2018
The man that made to love tennis, congratulation!

(1) (Reply)

Guardiola: City Can Play Sh*t And Still Get Praise / Dr.daniel Olukoya: MFM FC Is Gods Divine Plans For Youths / Europa League Draw: Arsenal Face Moscow Test In Quarter-finals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.