Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,043 members, 7,814,560 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually (26959 Views)

Girl Picked From The Slum Of Makoko To A School In Abuja At N1M Fee Annually / ASUU's 48 Hours Deadline: We Are Yet To Hear From Government - Osodeke / ASUU Clears The Air On Receiving Money From Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by HigherEd: 7:08pm On Jan 29, 2018
First of all it is important to note that the most funded Nigerian University is ABU which is closely followed by the University of Ibadan and University of Nigeria Nsukka so this figures can very well be representative of either UNN or ABU

Secondly, the personnel cost of University of Ibadan appears to be so huge that one begins to wonder what exactly are the Unions going on Strike for(in the case of staff emoluments)? Considering the fact that the wage bill allocation of UI is more than IGR of Ekiti and Ebonyi states put together.

Thirdly there appears to be an inconsistent trend of capital allocation on the side of the FG. The disparity between the wage bill grants of UI and their Capital grants is way too ridiculous. In the worst case scenario capital expenditure and recurrent expenditure should be 50-50. In Comparism a notable private university in Nigeria has its own budget as 70% Capital and 30% Recurrent.

#Transparency #InvestigatingNigerianUniversities

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by HigherEd: 7:12pm On Jan 29, 2018

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Desyner: 7:27pm On Jan 29, 2018
HigherEd:
Hmmm . . . That's alot. I hope people bashing top private unis see what it takes to run a uni.

18 Likes

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by HigherEd: 7:46pm On Jan 29, 2018
Desyner:
Hmmm . . . That's alot. I hope people bashing top private unis see what it takes to run a uni.
True that. Imagine, if Ebonyi, Yobe and Ekiti put 100% of their IGR together, they still can't single handedly fund UI's wage bill....

In fact if you give UI all the tuition fees realised in Covenant uni which is about 8 billion and remove govt allocation UI won't still survive.

We've not even talked about what ui receives from TetFund, CBN and Philanthropist. People would do well to divide all these allocations by total number of students to have a better grab of what govt pays before slandering churches especially.

Now amazingly, ui is still an underfunded university. In fact UI needs 50 billion naira/year to be a proper world class university. But more importantly for UI today is a need for a better financial mananagement system than even more funding....

41 Likes

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jan 29, 2018
I'm not surprised UI gets so much fund from government. This isn't even part of the internally generated revenue made by the school. However, no amount can be too much on education. I hope these monies aren't diverted as it's always case among schools.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by heendrix(m): 8:01pm On Jan 29, 2018
and what have they used the money so far for undecided only cutting down of trees n sabotaging the school's beauty with that second daura affiliated vc angry

3 Likes

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by HigherEd: 8:03pm On Jan 29, 2018
writerights:
I'm not surprised UI gets so much fund from government. This isn't even part of the internally generated revenue made by the school. However, no amount can be too much on education. I hope these monies aren't diverted as it's always case among schools.
Lol bros there is so much story on that igr matter.

Between 2007 and 2014, UI bought 124 cars. I can't remember how much they spent on Research between that period but it isn't much. In fact in 2013 UI spent a paltry 65 million naira on research yet they are spending 27 million on phone allowance. They also spend hundreds of millions to set up igr outfits may end up not profitable.

Pls note UI is one of the best case scenarios in Financial management for public unis, don't even go close to the financial management of most other public.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by chloride6: 10:59pm On Jan 29, 2018
HigherEd:

True that. Imagine, if Ebonyi and Ekiti put 100% of their FAAC Allocation together, they still can't single handedly fund UI's wage bill....

We've not even talked about what ui receives from TetFund, CBN and Philanthropist. People would do well to divide all these allocations by total number of students to have a better grab of what govt pays.

Not true,

Ekiti receives about 50 - 60 annually.

1 Like

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by HigherEd: 11:01pm On Jan 29, 2018
chloride6:

Not true,

Ekiti receives about 50 - 60 annually.
Oh damn. I meant IGR not FAAC. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by chloride6: 11:41pm On Jan 29, 2018
The relatively high staff to student ratio raises the wage bill a little.

However, UI makes a lot of IGR. UI makes enough IGR to cover 50% of it's staff expenses.

UI is however fond of rather unnecessary expenditure like purchasing too many cars and loans, don't even get me started on loans. A lot of staff loans go unpaid once they retire.

UI's high staff salary and expenses is fueled by the it's communal structure. The top echelon of it's management and academic staff act also like a cult.

When I was a second year student , my course mate's father was the HOD of a certain department. However he's tenure was also over, meaning that in a normal setting the official car attached to that office would soon be reliquished.

I jokingly asked her what her poor Dad would now drive. She looked at me bewildered and just laughed. She then told me confidently that he father even after retirement would have an official car for the University. I laughed it off. She explain that the top echelon acts like a closely knitted community.

And sure enough, at the end of the semester, he was conferred with some almost irrelevant position in the school chapel. He didn't even attend the chapel. Of course it came with an official car and driver.

When next we meet , she had that Shebi I told you look.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by HigherEd: 11:55pm On Jan 29, 2018
chloride6:
The relatively high staff to student ratio raises the wage bill a little.

However, UI makes a lot of IGR. UI makes enough IGR to cover 50% of it's staff expenses.

UI is however fond of rather unnecessary expenditure like purchasing too many cars and loans, don't even get me started on loans. A lot of staff loans go unpaid once they retire.

UI's high staff salary and expenses is fueled by the it's communal structure. The top echelon of it's management and academic staff act also like a cult.

When I was a second year student , my course mate's father was the HOD of a certain department. However he's tenure was also over, meaning that in a normal setting the official car attached to that office would soon be reliquished.

I jokingly asked her what her poor Dad would now drive. She looked at me bewildered and just laughed. She then told me confidently that he father even after retirement would have an official car for the University. I laughed it off. She explain that the top echelon acts like a closely knitted community.

And sure enough, at the end of the semester, he was conferred with some almost irrelevant position in the school chapel. He didn't even attend the chapel. Of course it came with an official car and driver.

When next we meet , she had that Shebi I told you look.

You are right on the IGR thing. UI PG and DLC generates about 4 billion naira annually...yet the poor financial management of UI and other FG unis has been noted for sometime... I remember stumbling on a particular publication of recent(I don't know how to retrieve it) where a lecturer was ranting about how UI top management poorly spent a man who willed UI his assets in the 90s to the extent that UI today does not have a trace or record of how that money was spent...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by nairavsdollars(f): 8:35am On Jan 30, 2018
Fraud. Why should ABU get the highest allocation?

6 Likes

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Elslim: 8:36am On Jan 30, 2018
upon all them no de list of top 5000 universities in the world
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by datola: 8:40am On Jan 30, 2018
ABU, the most funded Nigerian university

That school can't boast of much outstanding scholars. It has always produced mediocre political leaders.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by rawtouch: 8:41am On Jan 30, 2018
shocked

vc should stop complaining oooo, fg deh try but they should do more..

2 Likes

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by free2ryhme: 8:41am On Jan 30, 2018
HigherEd:
First of all it is important to note that the most funded Nigerian University is ABU which is closely followed by the University of Ibadan and University of Nigeria Nsukka so this figures can very well be representative of either UNN or ABU

Secondly, the personnel cost of University of Ibadan appears to be so huge that one begins to wonder what exactly are the Unions going on Strike for(in the case of staff emoluments)? Considering the fact that the wage bill allocation of UI is more than IGR of Ekiti and Ebonyi states put together.

Thirdly there appears to be an inconsistent trend of capital allocation on the side of the FG. The disparity between the wage bill grants of UI and their Capital grants is way too ridiculous. In the worst case scenario capital expenditure and recurrent expenditure should be 50-50. In Comparism a notable private university in Nigeria has its own budget as 70% Capital and 30% Recurrent.

#Transparency #InvestigatingNigerianUniversities

The black man mentality in us will never allow the sincere judicious utilization of fund for the benefit of all. embezzlement and amassing of ill gotten wealth is our nature

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by san316(m): 8:41am On Jan 30, 2018
The Educational sector of also witnesses an alarming rate of corruption. if not, why do you hear of SUU going on strike because of salries and not school infrastructure. That is when you know what value even the academicians place on education in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by RemedyLab: 8:42am On Jan 30, 2018
cool
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by DozieInc(m): 8:44am On Jan 30, 2018
Quality education is quality money.
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by rafindo(m): 8:48am On Jan 30, 2018
And yet they blame buhari and the federal government as corrupt institution where the uni been a microsom of a larger body.

1 Like

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by kolafolabi(m): 8:48am On Jan 30, 2018
The Premier University

2 Likes

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by 9Optional: 8:48am On Jan 30, 2018
hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by juddexy2(m): 8:50am On Jan 30, 2018
All the monies generated from school fees and pume scratch cards go where?
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Pavore9: 8:51am On Jan 30, 2018
But corruption in the system make sure it does not reflect.

1 Like

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Nobody: 8:52am On Jan 30, 2018
Its not about pumping more cash to the government owned universities, it should be about audition and prudent management of the available funds. Most of this funds end up embezzled. Imagine a school like imsu can never reply any email sent to the registrar for verification of students transcript. Wtf are the secretaries employed to do. Imsu has no functional email. Some companies and organizations sent email to them with no reply. No functional official email or phone number yet yearly huge budget for those stuff.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Bluffly: 8:53am On Jan 30, 2018
HigherEd:

True that. Imagine, if Ebonyi and Ekiti put 100% of their IGR together, they still can't single handedly fund UI's wage bill....

We've not even talked about what ui receives from TetFund, CBN and Philanthropist. People would do well to divide all these allocations by total number of students to have a better grab of what govt pays before slandering churches especially.

Now amazingly, ui is still an underfunded university. In fact UI needs 50 billion naira/year to be a proper world class university. But more importantly for UI today is a need for a better financial mananagement system than even more funding....
Being a world class university does not only amount to the size of funding but Idea and genuine usage. Don't forget that most of does quoted figures are even being embezzled.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Bluffly: 8:54am On Jan 30, 2018
cowleg:
Its not about pumping more cash to the government owned universities, it should be about audition and prudent management of the available funds. Most of this funds end up embezzled. Imagine a school like imsu can never reply any email sent to the registrar for verification of students transcript. Wtf are the secretaries employed to do. Imsu has no functional email. Some companies and organizations sent email to them with no reply. No functional official email or phone number yet yearly huge budget for those stuff.
Most Nigerians are not committed to Development but their belly
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Bluffly: 8:54am On Jan 30, 2018
juddexy2:
All the monies generated from school fees and pume scratch cards go where?
I tire o
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Bluffly: 8:55am On Jan 30, 2018
DozieInc:
Quality education is quality money.
less stealing, corruption and laziness

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by joenor(m): 8:56am On Jan 30, 2018
Are all this figure tru? this one pass allocation for some states ooo
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Ogbenisoft28(m): 9:09am On Jan 30, 2018
UI with their bunch of thieves , embezzling money into their own PERSON pockets . They ignored OTNPC ijebu ode. This Nigeria is just sucking by the day ���

HigherEd:

True that. Imagine, if Ebonyi and Ekiti put 100% of their IGR together, they still can't single handedly fund UI's wage bill....

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students / Professor Godwin Achinge Is Dead / ASUU: FG Reveals When Strike Will Be Called Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.