Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,576 members, 7,837,170 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually (27024 Views)

Girl Picked From The Slum Of Makoko To A School In Abuja At N1M Fee Annually / ASUU's 48 Hours Deadline: We Are Yet To Hear From Government - Osodeke / ASUU Clears The Air On Receiving Money From Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by SalamRushdie: 9:11am On Jan 30, 2018
Yet the school looks like shithole with all this monies passing through it

1 Like

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Desyner: 9:21am On Jan 30, 2018
Bluffly:

Most Nigerians are not committed to Development but their belly
It Is called stomach infrastructure.
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by psalmiel(m): 9:23am On Jan 30, 2018
Elslim:
upon all them no de list of top 5000 universities in the world

Says who?
UI is the only Nigerian University among the Top 1000 Universities in the world by Time Higher Education International Ranking.

According to the 2018 Webometric Top 5000 Universities in the world, UI's position is 1099 which is number one in Nigeria followed by Covenant University which came second with 2140.

I can sense you know the truth and you're just trying to cause a stir here.

1 Like

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Desyner: 9:25am On Jan 30, 2018
SalamRushdie:
Yet the school looks like shithole with all this monies passing through it
I tell you. They tunnel the whole cash into their pocket through many fraudulent channel.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Exciton(m): 9:28am On Jan 30, 2018
Summary:
Inexplicably huge personnel costs, wage bill of just one university higher than Ebonyi + Ekiti IGR combined, budget used to fund their PhD studies [most likely including travel expenses] when in reality they shouldn't be employed by the university precisely because they have no PhD degree. Despite the huge budget [not including grants and donations etc], there's no equipment +sub-human living conditions for students + these criminals frequently threaten strike action.

Building prisons will be my number 2 agenda if I were to be your president!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by omonnakoda: 9:40am On Jan 30, 2018
writerights:
I'm not surprised UI gets so much fund from government. This isn't even part of the internally generated revenue made by the school. However, no amount can be too much on education. I hope these monies aren't diverted as it's always case among schools.
So much?
What are the parameters for determining that it is " so much " or not so much .
What exactly is the money for?
What is the annual salary bill?
The annual pension bill?
How much is for research
How much for books and journals

On average how much does it work out PER STUDENT?
How does that compare internationally?
How does that compare with private universities?
Without data one cannot say it is so much or so little.
That does not make any sense and honestly is an uneducated approach .

2 Likes

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by omonnakoda: 9:44am On Jan 30, 2018
writerights:
I'm not surprised UI gets so much fund from government. This isn't even part of the internally generated revenue made by the school. However, no amount can be too much on education. I hope these monies aren't diverted as it's always case among schools.
So much?
What are the parameters for determining that it is " so much " or not so much .
What exactly is the money for?
What is the annual salary bill?
The annual pension bill?
How much is for research
How much for books and journals

On average how much does it work out PER STUDENT?
How does that compare internationally?
How does that compare with private universities?
Without data one cannot say it is so much or so little.
That does not make any sense and honestly is an uneducated approach .
Last year the budget for Warwick University where the Vice President has just returned from was equivalent to 250 billion. It is much smaller than U I.

1 Like

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Nobody: 10:11am On Jan 30, 2018
HigherEd:

Lol bros there is so much story on that igr matter.

Between 2007 and 2014, UI bought 124 cars. I can't remember how much they spent on Research between that period but it isn't much. In fact in 2013 UI spent a paltry 65 million naira on research yet they are spending 27 million on phone allowance. They also spend hundreds of millions to set up igr outfits may end up not profitable.

Pls note UI is one of the best case scenarios in Financial management for public unis, don't even go close to the financial management of most other public.

so are you saying professors are setting up business that are not profitable
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Ogbenisoft28(m): 10:26am On Jan 30, 2018
HigherEd:

You are right on the IGR thing. UI PG and DLC generates about 4 billion naira annually...yet the poor financial management of UI and other FG unis has been noted for sometime... I remember stumbling on a particular publication of recent(I don't know how to retrieve it) where a lecturer was ranting about how UI top management poorly spent a man who willed UI his assets in the 90s to the extent that UI today does not have a trace or record of how that money was spent...

Regarding what you just said , even recently the founder of FCMB donated his world class pediatric hospital to UI but they are mismanaging the institution

Read this post
https://www.nairaland.com/4311029/protest-staff-university-ibadan-owned#64506733
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Freeman59: 11:10am On Jan 30, 2018
writerights:

if you read the OP's submission very well, you will understand that he/she trying to say that the funds allocated to these universities are diverted or embezzled. And, even when these universities become adequately funded, the need for a more accountable financial system is the only solution.

From the foregoing, it is obvious that these universities are not completely underfunded as they claim. If the funds available are adequately utilized, the current states of our universities and educational system will not be the case.

if these universities are to become adequately funded, then they should fight the internal corruption within them, which is aiding their under-funded states.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by King44(m): 12:45pm On Jan 30, 2018
chloride6:
The relatively high staff to student ratio raises the wage bill a little.

However, UI makes a lot of IGR. UI makes enough IGR to cover 50% of it's staff expenses.

UI is however fond of rather unnecessary expenditure like purchasing too many cars and loans, don't even get me started on loans. A lot of staff loans go unpaid once they retire.

UI's high staff salary and expenses is fueled by the it's communal structure. The top echelon of it's management and academic staff act also like a cult.

When I was a second year student , my course mate's father was the HOD of a certain department. However he's tenure was also over, meaning that in a normal setting the official car attached to that office would soon be reliquished.

I jokingly asked her what her poor Dad would now drive. She looked at me bewildered and just laughed. She then told me confidently that he father even after retirement would have an official car for the University. I laughed it off. She explain that the top echelon acts like a closely knitted community.

And sure enough, at the end of the semester, he was conferred with some almost irrelevant position in the school chapel. He didn't even attend the chapel. Of course it came with an official car and driver.

When next we meet , she had that Shebi I told you look.

thumbs up to the school vc for cutting down those trees for selfish n greedy gain, they will eventually sabotage the school beauty

Financial management in that school with the statistics on ground, the school financial mgt is worse than Buhari:s
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by Akino77(m): 1:03pm On Jan 30, 2018
When I Look at how much Federal and State Universities get as Allocation, and the services they provide, I still wonder why people criticize Private Universities : both Privately and Religiously Owned. Quality Education, is not cheap.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by lexy2014: 1:46pm On Jan 30, 2018
HigherEd:

True that. Imagine, if Ebonyi, Yobe and Ekiti put 100% of their IGR together, they still can't single handedly fund UI's wage bill....

In fact if you give UI all the tuition fees realised in Covenant uni which is about 8 billion and remove govt allocation UI won't still survive.

We've not even talked about what ui receives from TetFund, CBN and Philanthropist. People would do well to divide all these allocations by total number of students to have a better grab of what govt pays before slandering churches especially.

Now amazingly, ui is still an underfunded university. In fact UI needs 50 billion naira/year to be a proper world class university. But more importantly for UI today is a need for a better financial mananagement system than even more funding....
are u trying 2 say that UI has more staff than some state govts?what are they doing there that makes u say that they are underfunded?are they drinking d money?
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by lexy2014: 1:49pm On Jan 30, 2018
Akino77:
When I Look at how much Federal and State Universities get as Allocation, and the services they provide, I still wonder why people criticize Private Universities : both Privately and Religiously Owned. Quality Education, is not cheap.
my brother don't b deceived. quality isn't cheap in Nigeria cos corruption makes it expensive. D emphasis isn't on giving kids quality education, its on revenue. That's y d govt can boast that JAMB is now earning revenue for it instead of telling us how jamb has made admissions & exam administration easier 4 applicants
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by MIKOLOWISKA: 3:14pm On Jan 30, 2018
chloride6:
The relatively high staff to student ratio raises the wage bill a little.

However, UI makes a lot of IGR. UI makes enough IGR to cover 50% of it's staff expenses.

UI is however fond of rather unnecessary expenditure like purchasing too many cars and loans, don't even get me started on loans. A lot of staff loans go unpaid once they retire.

UI's high staff salary and expenses is fueled by the it's communal structure. The top echelon of it's management and academic staff act also like a cult.

When I was a second year student , my course mate's father was the HOD of a certain department. However he's tenure was also over, meaning that in a normal setting the official car attached to that office would soon be reliquished.

I jokingly asked her what her poor Dad would now drive. She looked at me bewildered and just laughed. She then told me confidently that he father even after retirement would have an official car for the University. I laughed it off. She explain that the top echelon acts like a closely knitted community.

And sure enough, at the end of the semester, he was conferred with some almost irrelevant position in the school chapel. He didn't even attend the chapel. Of course it came with an official car and driver.

When next we meet , she had that Shebi I told you look.

this is why we need to privatise education.
Too many ppl living high off the hog while providing very little education to the students
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by MIKOLOWISKA: 3:16pm On Jan 30, 2018
writerights:
too much is being spent in the US and will cause next recession. Public school is a waste
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by MIKOLOWISKA: 3:17pm On Jan 30, 2018
free2ryhme:

The black man mentality in us will never allow the sincere judicious utilization of fund for the benefit of all. embezzlement and amassing of ill gotten wealth is our nature
it's the same for white man. Difference is black man accepts without a fight
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by MIKOLOWISKA: 3:18pm On Jan 30, 2018
rafindo:
And yet they blame buhari and the federal government as corrupt institution where the uni been a microsom of a larger body.
if the leader clamps down on some scapegoats others will align diasef
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by MIKOLOWISKA: 3:21pm On Jan 30, 2018
Bluffly:

Most Nigerians are not committed to Development but their belly
you're wrong Nigerians are committed to development not their belly. It is opposite for the leaders sha
Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by SammieJayh(m): 8:28pm On Feb 01, 2018
420million for halls of residence, yet they are still very much unkept and dilapidated...

1 Like

Re: How Much Money The University Of Ibadan Gets From Government Annually by CodeTemplar: 8:25pm On Nov 07, 2018
Good reference thread.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sale Of Uniben Postgraduate Form 2017/2018 / Rioting Students In Kano Destroy School Properties (Photos) / Professor Godwin Achinge Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.