Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,539 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

UK Minister Offers Resignation From Lords After Apologising For Being Late - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / UK Minister Offers Resignation From Lords After Apologising For Being Late (495 Views)

Lord Resigns From The British Government For Being Late / Uk Minister Resigns From Parliament For Being Late To Meeting (video) / Photo Of Grace And Robert Mugabe After Resignation Has Gone Viral Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Minister Offers Resignation From Lords After Apologising For Being Late by Alexk2(m): 6:42pm On Feb 01, 2018
Lord Bates had been listed to answer a question from Labour peer Baroness Lister of Burtersett but arrived late for the session.

In his absence, Lord Taylor responded to questions at the start of proceedings but appeared to have been unprepared.

Lord Bates said: “With the leave of the House I wonder if you would permit me to offer my sincere apologies to Baroness Lister for my discourtesy for not being in my place to answer her question on a very important matter at the beginning of questions.

“During the five years of which it has been my privilege to answer questions from the despatch box on behalf of the Government I have always believed we should rise to the highest possible standards of courtesy and respect in responding on behalf of the Government to legitimate questions of the legislature.

“I am thoroughly ashamed at not being in my place. I, therefore, shall be offering my resignation.”

He walked straight out of the chamber after offering his resignation to cries of “no” from others peers.

Downing Street said Ms May, who is on a trade visit to China, had refused Lord Bates’ resignation.

A spokesman said: “With typical sincerity, Lord Bates today offered to tender his resignation after missing the start of an Oral Questions session in the House of Lords, but his resignation was refused as it was judged this was unnecessary.

“As a hard-working and diligent minister, it is typical of his approach that he takes his responsibilities to Parliament so seriously. He has received support from across the House and we are pleased that he has decided to continue in his important roles at the Department for International Development and HM Treasury.”

Source; http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-minister-lord-bates-dramatically-resigns-in-house-of-lords-after-telling-peers-he-is-a8188231.html
This happened today in the UK and the question I keep asking is; when are going to see honorable men and women like this in Nigeria...Men who will take responsibility for wrongdoings and take an honourable bow for the love of the country?
Re: UK Minister Offers Resignation From Lords After Apologising For Being Late by NwaNimo1(m): 6:44pm On Feb 01, 2018
Silly man..... why not simply blame GEJ?
Re: UK Minister Offers Resignation From Lords After Apologising For Being Late by Alexk2(m): 6:53pm On Feb 01, 2018
NwaNimo1:
Silly man..... why not simply blame GEJ?
guess you're booking space
Re: UK Minister Offers Resignation From Lords After Apologising For Being Late by Willy7(m): 9:28pm On Feb 01, 2018
These are countries with strong and functional institutions. Sometimes I'm tempted to think that we should plead with one of these civilised and developed countries to come and recolonise us. I just feel that Nigeria was a premature baby and still need to be weaned. I pray we get it right someday before things go beyond repair.

(1) (Reply)

Two Lessons From Jacob Zuma's Resignation / Paraguay President Inaugurates Israel Embassy In Jerusalem / US Government Reacts As Buhari Signs 'Not Too Young To Run' Bill.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.