Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

Overdrive Button. When Is It Supposed To Be Used Or Not? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Overdrive Button. When Is It Supposed To Be Used Or Not? (1465 Views)

Overdrive: The Effective Ways To Use It While Driving / How To Use Overdrive Gear In Automatic Transmission Cars / How To Use Overdrive Gear In Automatic Transmission Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Overdrive Button. When Is It Supposed To Be Used Or Not? by smellingmenses: 2:28pm On Feb 02, 2018
WHO HAS AN IDEA?
Re: Overdrive Button. When Is It Supposed To Be Used Or Not? by ogtavia(m): 2:34pm On Feb 02, 2018
Please..

Re: Overdrive Button. When Is It Supposed To Be Used Or Not? by smellingmenses: 4:38pm On Feb 02, 2018
pp
Re: Overdrive Button. When Is It Supposed To Be Used Or Not? by smellingmenses: 4:39pm On Feb 02, 2018
since you do not have a car I don't expect you here ...

ogtavia:
Please..
Re: Overdrive Button. When Is It Supposed To Be Used Or Not? by ogtavia(m): 8:22pm On Feb 02, 2018
smellingmenses:
since you do not have a car I don't expect you here ...

you have all the time to create this thread, read and reply my earlier 'tease' as well as reply this one.
With that same time, you could have 'googled' up your enquiry and gotten yourself satisfactory answers.
This is 2018...utilize your time and energy optimally.

2 Likes

Re: Overdrive Button. When Is It Supposed To Be Used Or Not? by smellingmenses: 9:22pm On Feb 02, 2018
ogtavia:
you have all the time to create this thread, read and reply my earlier 'tease' as well as reply this one.
With that same time, you could have 'googled' up your enquiry and gotten yourself satisfactory answers.
This is 2018...utilize your time and energy optimally.

mind ur bitu leave my thread
Re: Overdrive Button. When Is It Supposed To Be Used Or Not? by ogtavia(m): 11:43pm On Feb 02, 2018
smellingmenses:

mind ur bitu leave my thread
ok sire..
Re: Overdrive Button. When Is It Supposed To Be Used Or Not? by mammanbawa: 4:18pm On Feb 03, 2018
What happens is this. When the O/D button is out and the light off, the transmission will go through all the gears including overdrive, which is the highest gear. The O/D button is not actually to engage it, but to lock it out. It is used for overtaking, climbing hills or towing. It means that when the button is pressed and the “O/D Off” light comes on, the car will not go into top gear which is gear four for most automatics from Japan. So if your transmission is four gears, and the overdrive is set to off, the car will be limited to three gears and won’t shift into the fourth. This is why when doing high speeds and you press the overdrive button, there is a downshift from the highest gear.

1 Like

Re: Overdrive Button. When Is It Supposed To Be Used Or Not? by smellingmenses: 5:03am On Feb 04, 2018
THANK YOU FOR THE SUCCINCT RESPONSE... BUT MY MANUAL SAYS I SHOULD ALWAYS DRIVE WITH THE O/D ENGAGED FOR MAXIMUM FUEL ECONOMY... MY QUESTION NOW IS WHEN AM I NOT SUPPOSED TO DRIVE WITH THE O/D ENGAGED?

mammanbawa:
What happens is this. When the O/D button is out and the light off, the transmission will go through all the gears including overdrive, which is the highest gear. The O/D button is not actually to engage it, but to lock it out. It is used for overtaking, climbing hills or towing. It means that when the button is pressed and the “O/D Off” light comes on, the car will not go into top gear which is gear four for most automatics from Japan. So if your transmission is four gears, and the overdrive is set to off, the car will be limited to three gears and won’t shift into the fourth. This is why when doing high speeds and you press the overdrive button, there is a downshift from the highest gear.
Re: Overdrive Button. When Is It Supposed To Be Used Or Not? by mammanbawa: 8:43am On Feb 04, 2018
smellingmenses:
THANK YOU FOR THE SUCCINCT RESPONSE... BUT MY MANUAL SAYS I SHOULD ALWAYS DRIVE WITH THE O/D ENGAGED FOR MAXIMUM FUEL ECONOMY... MY QUESTION NOW IS WHEN AM I NOT SUPPOSED TO DRIVE WITH THE O/D ENGAGED?

When you need torque to ascend a hill or to overcome a rough driving phase.

(1) (Reply)

Bentley Unveils Its Vision Of Future Luxury Mobility With Bentley EXP 100 GT / How To Paint Your Car With A Paint Sprayer / Toyota Camry Not Revving/raising When Accelerate On Park.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.