Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,201 members, 7,811,539 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:08 PM

Overdrive: The Effective Ways To Use It While Driving - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Overdrive: The Effective Ways To Use It While Driving (1643 Views)

How Do You Hold Your Steering Wheel While Driving? / Driver Covers Himself With Umbrella While Driving An Open-roof Benz In The Rain / How To Use Overdrive Gear In Automatic Transmission Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Overdrive: The Effective Ways To Use It While Driving by AutoJoshNIG: 8:19pm On Mar 11, 2019
https://autojosh.com/overdrive-button-use-cars/

Most people really get confused with the term overdrive. Some don’t know of it should be left on or off. There are still some people that will mistakenly press the button and then don’t know what to do afterwards.

First of all, let’s know the meaning of the overdrive in cars.

According to your mechanic, overdrive and OD for short is the highest gear in the transmission in an automatic car. It brings the RPM of the engine down at a given road speed to facilitate better speed and fuel efficiency. It also helps your car to provide the best performance in higher speed cruising.

For your normal driving, you should leave the OD switch on at all times. This will put your car in a mode that it will be able to automatically shift into top gear if necessary regardless of your selection. Leaving it on means that the ‘OD off’ light should not be on your dashboard.

Leaving the overdrive on will aid your car in utilizing its full range of transmission. It also helps your car with fuel efficiency and improved life span of your transmission.

Source: https://autojosh.com/overdrive-button-use-cars/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun
Re: Overdrive: The Effective Ways To Use It While Driving by daddytime(m): 8:22pm On Mar 11, 2019
Informative as usual thanks for sharing. ..
Re: Overdrive: The Effective Ways To Use It While Driving by nifemi25(m): 8:23pm On Mar 11, 2019
Thanks for the info
Re: Overdrive: The Effective Ways To Use It While Driving by Grafixnuel(m): 8:25pm On Mar 11, 2019
sad

1 Like

Re: Overdrive: The Effective Ways To Use It While Driving by Dottore: 8:27pm On Mar 11, 2019
Funny the way everyone copys and plagiarizes an article and claim authorship.

2 Likes

Re: Overdrive: The Effective Ways To Use It While Driving by Nbote(m): 9:08pm On Mar 11, 2019
But how come every mechanic claims d OD should always b off as it would make d car feel "heavy"
Re: Overdrive: The Effective Ways To Use It While Driving by olenyi: 3:58pm On Mar 13, 2019
AutoJoshNIG:
https://autojosh.com/overdrive-button-use-cars/

Most people really get confused with the term overdrive. Some don’t know of it should be left on or off. There are still some people that will mistakenly press the button and then don’t know what to do afterwards.

First of all, let’s know the meaning of the overdrive in cars.

According to your mechanic, overdrive and OD for short is the highest gear in the transmission in an automatic car. It brings the RPM of the engine down at a given road speed to facilitate better speed and fuel efficiency. It also helps your car to provide the best performance in higher speed cruising.

For your normal driving, you should leave the OD switch on at all times. This will put your car in a mode that it will be able to automatically shift into top gear if necessary regardless of your selection. Leaving it on means that the ‘OD off’ light should not be on your dashboard.

Leaving the overdrive on will aid your car in utilizing its full range of transmission. It also helps your car with fuel efficiency and improved life span of your transmission.

Source: https://autojosh.com/overdrive-button-use-cars/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

You should have given us the pros and cons of leaving it on or off.

Surely there is a reason the manufacturer put the switch for turning it on and off.

Give us the reasons and situations that necessitates turning it on or off.

Regards.
Re: Overdrive: The Effective Ways To Use It While Driving by ikdaddy01(m): 6:52pm On Mar 13, 2019
For me oh....
It's like gear 5 for me.
Having mastered manual transmission I use the overdrive as such.
I leave it at off then when I hit gear 4 and want to OVERDRIVE I switch it ON.
I use it like I am changing gear in manual moto.
Indomie drivers will not understand.. grin
If u know you know.

MODIFIED
Here
If the overdrive is ON, ur gear selects from gear 3 to 5 whereas if it's OFF it goes from 3 to 4 and stops there. If u need more speed then u switch it ON it then enters 5 chikina

1 Like

Re: Overdrive: The Effective Ways To Use It While Driving by 3kay945(m): 9:26pm On Mar 17, 2019
ikdaddy01:
For me oh....
It's like gear 5 for me.
Having mastered manual transmission I use the overdrive as such.
I leave it at off then when I hit gear 4 and want to OVERDRIVE I switch it ON.
I use it like I am changing gear in manual moto.
Indomie drivers will not understand.. grin
If u know you know.

MODIFIED
Here
If the overdrive is ON, ur gear selects from gear 3 to 5 whereas if it's OFF it goes from 3 to 4 and stops there. If u need more speed then u switch it ON it then enters 5 chikina

Is it necessary to be used in this Lagos bad roads and traffic every where? When I can't even reach 100km/hr for or 30sec

(1) (Reply)

Indian King Who Turned 6 Brand New Rolls-royces Into A Waste Collection Vehicles / The Truth Behind Aluminium Car Engines / Mercedes-benz Amg Gt 2015 [photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.