Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:33 PM

The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt (6200 Views)

Pastor Adeboye: The Temptation Of Starting My Own Church & How God Delivered Me / 5 Life Lessons To Learn From The Temptation Of Jesus Christ / Gay Jesus: Reno Omokri Kicks As Netflix Shows 'The First Temptation Of Christ' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by JourneytoEL(f): 6:26am On Feb 04, 2018
Luke 4:1-13 New International Version (NIV)

Jesus Is Tested in the Wilderness
4 Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, 2 where for forty days he was tempted[a] by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry.

3 The devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread.”

4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone.’[b]”

5 The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6 And he said to him, “I will give you all their authority and splendor; it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. 7 If you worship me, it will all be yours.”

8 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’[c]”

9 The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down from here. 10 For it is written:

“‘He will command his angels concerning you
to guard you carefully;
11 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’[d]”
12 Jesus answered, “It is said: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’[e]”

13 When the devil had finished all this tempting, he left him until an opportune time.

1 Like

Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by JourneytoEL(f): 6:29am On Feb 04, 2018
LESSONS FROM THE TEMPTATION OF JESUS
[Matt.4:1-11, Lk.4:1-13]
Some people ask: Was Jesus really tempted by the devil? If yes, why was he tempted? Of course, Jesus was tempted by the devil. The scriptures attest that in his humanity Jesus experienced all manner of temptations as we do, but never sinned [Heb.4:15, 1Pet.2:22]; for he once told his fellow Jews, who among you will prove that I am guilty of sin [Jn.8:46].
From Jesus’ temptation we learn the fundamental truth that temptation is an unavoidable experience of human and earthly life. Thus with his approach to temptation, Jesus teaches us that we can resist temptation and not give in to sin.
From His three major temptations as recorded in the scriptures, we can see that basically, temptation comes to us by three major means:
(1) The desire to satisfy hunger and other insatiable needs and wants of life; For the devil told Jesus, “Turn stone into bread” [Matt. 4:3].
(2) The desire to ungodly pursue the riches and powers of this world, which leads to the worship of Satan. For the tempter told him, “I will give you all these things if you fall at my feet and worship me”[Matt.4:8-9].
(3) The desire to acquire worldly fame, popularity, recognition or influence. For he told our Lord, “Throw yourself down from the temple and the angels will support you with their hands”[Matt.4:5-6].

THE DESIRE TO SATISFY HUNGER AND OTHER INSATIABLE NEEDS AND WANTS OF LIFE
The devil told Jesus, “Turn these stones into bread…” But Jesus replied that man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God. No doubt, we eat in order to survive physically, for food is one of the major sources of our physical sustenance here on earth. In view of that, the devil always explores our basic instinct for survival and sustenance here on earth in order to lure us into temptation.
However it should be noted that the purpose of our existence is not just to eat. We live not just to eat, even though we eat in order to survive here on earth. Since man has dual nature: the physical [body] and the spiritual [soul], the sustenance and survival of his soul is as important as that of his body-which is the temple of the Holy Spirit (1Cor.3:16-17), but much more than that of the body. For Jesus says: “What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul” (Mk.8:36). To survive, the soul needs the word God. For that reason Jesus told the devil that human beings shall not live on bread alone [physical food], but also and very importantly by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God [i.e. the word of God], which is really the food for the Soul.
From the catechism of the Catholic Church we learn that God created us to know Him, love Him, serve Him in this world and to live and be happy with him forever in the next. This is a concise summary of the purpose of our creation and our temporal sojourn here on earth. To fulfill this purpose we need to daily feed on the word of God [Ezk.2:8-10, Ezk.3:1-4, Rev.8:1, Rev.10:8-10, Ps.81:10] and live by it. According to the Scriptures, this spiritual food for the soul will neither be broken nor pass away [Jn.10:35, Matt.24:35].
The reply of Jesus to the devil that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God, implies that we are expected to:
A. Check excessive eating and drinking (Rom 14:17, Phil 3:18-19)
B. Check and mortify the ungodly desires of the flesh [Rom.8:5-8, 12-13, Gal.5:16-21, 2Tim.2:22, Gal.2:19-20].
Jesus has the power to turn stones into bread, but he did not do it. Rather, He turned down Satan’s quick solution to taking care of his hunger during the dessert preparation for his public ministry, for the scripture says: “After spending forty days and nights without food, Jesus was hungry. Then the evil came and said to him, ‘if you are the son of God, order these stones to turn into bread”[Matt.4:2].
Unlike Jesus, some people look for quick and magical solution to their problems which leads them into many temptations. There are people who seek and subscribe to quick success or quick means of making wealth or money (1Tim.6:9-10). They are easy victims of temptation. There are those who resort to charms, occult powers, sorcery or witchcraft for survival or breakthrough in their endeavours. Some engage in exam malpractice, others in armed robbery, prostitution or various forms of fraud to make it in life and never escape falling into temptation and suffering its allied and multiple consequences.

THE DESIRE TO UNGODLY PURSUE THE RICHES AND POWERS OF THIS WORLD, WHICH LEADS TO THE WORSHIP OF SATAN
This temptation infringes on our primary duty to God: ‘Worship’. God alone is to be worshipped, for He tolerates no rival Exo 20:5). Neither man, Satan nor any diabolic spirit should be worshipped or given the honour and glory due to God [Ps.115:1]. God punished the Israelites for neglecting this injunction during their journey to the promise land.
Today many people join secret societies in search of diabolic powers either to control others at will or to achieve other selfish goals. Some do so for political or chieftaincy titles/positions. By so doing, they freely offer their souls to Satan under a secret oath and thereby forfeit their eternal salvation and happiness. For the false or ‘Greek gifts’ and promises of Satan, they pledge to serve and worship him, instead of God- their loving creator.
Crave or taste for power has led some people to die in horrible state and others to be disgraced out of office rather than honorably relinquish political position/power after their tenure in office had long expired. This goes to prove the aphorism that a power monger is destined to die of power and that he who lives by the sword will die by the sword.
Some ladies go for diabolic power in order to marry. Whereas authentic stories abound of women who go to witch doctors or sorcerers for charm so as to be loved unconditionally by their husbands or sinful partners. There are people who seek diabolic powers for other purposes like engaging in illegal businesses and operating commercially orientated churches (Acts 8:8-20). All these people want a quick but sordid fulfillment of the desires of their heart by illegal or ungodly means.
The devil readily fulfils their desires provided they render him worship, directly or indirectly, thereby putting themselves under his feet and perpetual control. Such demonic powers consequently lead to self destruction and other regrettable consequences.

THE DESIRE TO ACQUIRE WORLDLY FAME, POPULARITY, RECOGNITION OR INFLUENCE
This temptation is spurred mainly by pride and vain glory. Pride or vain glory leads to self exaltation, self-glory and eventually to downfall. By telling Jesus to throw himself down from the temple, that the angels would support him, Satan was working on Jesus’ ego. Human ego has a great tendency to seek for fame, recognition, influence and acceptance. When these are unduly sought for they lead in extreme cases to the ‘cult of self-worship or adoration’. The victim becomes a god unto himself as he restlessly and persistently seeks and demands undue recognition from others [Jn.5:44, Matt.23:5-7]. When he fails to get it through self effort; he readily turns to Satan for help.
When Satan asks one to fall down from the pinnacle of the temple, which he demanded from Jesus, he wants to throw the person from the pinnacle or state of grace down to the dungeon or state of disgrace and shame. He indirectly lures the person to reject the exalted position God has given him/her in making him/her in his own image and likeness[Gen.1:26-27] and his sacred living temple [2Cor.6:16]. Satan deceives the person to trade this holy temple for satanic power, worldly fame, influence, popularity or artificial beauty. This is another reason why many men and women are in various occult groups.
(Culled from Raphael Uzoekwe CMf)
Kindly share your contribution and experiences likewise
Cc: lalasticlala, ishilove,

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by PSTEMMA1960(m): 8:36am On Feb 04, 2018
i learnt lots of lesson bt i will only contribute where the bible said that the devil departed for a season..

now what does it mean to depart for a season? in the olding days when u go into a battle and u then discover that the battle is too difficult 4u to win, u have to go back and do another plan..

so that was what happened, when the devil could nt make christ to sin, he did nt give up, bt instead he departed for only a season..

the same things are happening to us every day, if the devil tempts u today and u happen to overcome him, that does nt mean that he cannot come back to test u again..

so many christians who were able to overcome the devil in some areas of thier lives b4 are nt able to overcome him anymore..

as a good christian, u have to always depend on the holy spirit at all times if u must overcome the devil..

-the holy spirit, we are nt as wise as the devil..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by hopefulLandlord: 8:46am On Feb 04, 2018
Again, the devil took him to an exceedingly
high mountain, and showed him all the
kingdoms of the world, and their glory.

The lesson from the third temptation is that the earth is flat or how else does one describe seeing the whole world on top of a mountain?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by mecuzee(m): 8:47am On Feb 04, 2018
Lesson learnt = don't give up!

1 Like

Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by Papiikush: 8:47am On Feb 04, 2018
Praise Jesus!

4 Likes

Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by JON01: 8:47am On Feb 04, 2018
On Friday I wanted to comment on an Islamic related topic I had to take an oath "I believe that there is no god/God but Allah and Muhammad is His Prophet..." before making a comment on a public platform like this.It's now obvious Muslims are bloody terrorists and they Forcefully make you to accept their Religion even when you don't want to...Cause if not so there should also be an oath of everyone believing JESUS Christ as his or Her personal savior before being allowed to comment here or any other Christian related topics

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by ArchangeLucifer: 8:48am On Feb 04, 2018
That stupid boy Jesus.

I don't have his time now...

I have lots of suicides to preside over at the Lagoon this mornin'.

Thank God for Buhari.
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by Ifebaby16(m): 8:48am On Feb 04, 2018
wink
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by CAPSLOCKED: 8:49am On Feb 04, 2018
JourneytoEL:
LESSONS FROM THE TEMPTATION OF JESUS
[Matt.4:1-11, Lk.4:1-13]
Some people ask: Was Jesus really tempted by the devil? If yes, why was he tempted? Of course, Jesus was tempted by the devil. The scriptures attest that in his humanity Jesus experienced all manner of temptations as we do, but never sinned [Heb.4:15, 1Pet.2:22]; for he once told his fellow Jews, who among you will prove that I am guilty of sin [Jn.8:46].

WHO AMONG YOU NAIRALANDERS CAN PROVE THAT I'M GUILTY OF SIN? NO ONE.
I DOESN'T MEAN THAT I'M NOT GUILTY.

JESUS PLAYING TRICKS ON FARMERS FROM DAY 1.

YOU DON'T JUST BUMP INTO A BUNCH OF GOAT HERDERS AND ASK THEM FOR PROOF OF YOUR SINS!

NOBODY KNEW YOU, NOBODY CARED.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN THAT WAY TILL TODAY IF NOT FOR OUR SLAVE MASTERS; "THE ROMANS". undecided
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by slicco: 8:49am On Feb 04, 2018
Wow
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by okonja(m): 8:49am On Feb 04, 2018
All these ushers in the church, they act like they're the biological children of God ..and the rest of us were just adopted angry angry
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by 9jayes: 8:49am On Feb 04, 2018
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by frubben(m): 8:50am On Feb 04, 2018
undecided kiss undecided
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by BAILMONEY: 8:51am On Feb 04, 2018
JIHADISTS WILL SOON INVADE THIS THREADsad

2 Likes

Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by okonja(m): 8:53am On Feb 04, 2018
Na wa to some bros dem..you're in church, your wife is carrying one child, practically dragging the other while still carrying food basket! You're carrying just Bible ooo and strolling around like assistant Holy Ghost angry angry
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by amnesty7: 8:53am On Feb 04, 2018
We live in a world where 2 + 2 = 5, Just as 1 + 1 +1 = 1

If you are confused �, read this:

Who is god?
Jesus

Is Jesus the son of Mary?
Yes

Who created Mary?
God.

Who is God?
Jesus

Jesus is the begotten son.
Yes

Who is his father?
God.

Who is God?
Jesus.

Jesus is a servant of God?
Yes

Who is God?
Jesus.

Jesus died on the cross?
Yes

Who resurrected him?
God.

Who is God?
Jesus

Jesus is a messenger?
Yes

Who sent him?
God.

Who is God?
Jesus.

Did Jesus worship while on earth? Yes

Whom did he worship?
God.

Who is God?
Jesus.

Did God have a beginning?
No....

Then who was supposedly born on 25 DEC?Jesus.

Who is God?
Jesus.

Where's God?
In heaven

How many are there in heaven?Only one God.

Where's Jesus?
He is seated on the right hand of his father.

Who is God?
Jesus.

Then how many are they in heaven?
Only one God

Then how many seats?
One

Where's Jesus?
Seated next to God.

Then how are they seated?
On one chair

Its only understood by those with the holy spirit.

Who is God?
Jesus.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by Timoleon(m): 8:54am On Feb 04, 2018
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by Bonapart(m): 8:55am On Feb 04, 2018
Noted
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by tartar9(m): 8:55am On Feb 04, 2018
Nonsense!
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by AdolfHitlerxXx: 9:01am On Feb 04, 2018
With all these big yanshes and boobs rolling around.. .
I feel like Jesus with the way I resist temptations.
Can someone praise the Lord ?

2 Likes

Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by Bonapart(m): 9:01am On Feb 04, 2018
ArchangeLucifer:
That stupid boy Jesus.

I don't have his time now...

I have lots of suicides to preside over at the Lagoon this mornin'.

Thank God for Buhari.
may God have mercy on you lost soul. But know that to everything there is a limit, which includes your blasphemy... Jesus loves you still but won't wait for you for ever. There is always a time appointed for judgement

2 Likes

Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by AdolfHitlerxXx: 9:01am On Feb 04, 2018
With all these big yanshes and boobs rolling around.. .
I feel like Jesus with the way I resist temptations.
Can someone praise the Lord ?
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by FeddysWorld(m): 9:03am On Feb 04, 2018
Hello,
Do you think you are a creative dancer either as and individual or as a group?

Would you like you showcase your talent and creative dance art to the world?

Then this is a FREE opportunity you would not want to miss. We are creating a great platform on instagram and YouTube that will help talented and creative dancers across the world and it is an opportunity for you to compete with others, wim prices and also get to feature in music videos and other entertainment activities.

Interested persons or group must have a short video clip of their dancing skills which you will send to us along with some information you will be ask.

Kindly PM me here if interested or share also if you know people who would be interested.

Note: It is absolutely FREE of charge and no registration fee is needed.

Thank you.
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by one4GOD(f): 9:03am On Feb 04, 2018
JON01:
On Friday I wanted to comment on an Islamic related topic I had to take an oath "I believe that there is no god/God but Allah and Muhammad is His Prophet..." before making a comment on a public platform like this.It's now obvious Muslims are bloody terrorists and they Forcefully make you to accept their Religion even when you don't want to...Cause if not so there should also be an oath of everyone believing JESUS Christ as his or Her personal savior before being allowed to comment here or any other Christian related topics
ahaa I tot I was the only one that noticed that. you must be Islam by all means. religion of force.

1 Like

Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by shadeyinka(m): 9:06am On Feb 04, 2018
amnesty7:
We live in a world where 2 + 2 = 5, Just as 1 + 1 +1 = 1

If you are confused �, read this:

Who is god?
Jesus

Is Jesus the son of Mary?
Yes

Who created Mary?
God.

Who is God?
Jesus

Jesus is the begotten son.
Yes

Who is his father?
God.

Who is God?
Jesus.

Jesus is a servant of God?
Yes

Who is God?
Jesus.

Jesus died on the cross?
Yes

Who resurrected him?
God.

Who is God?
Jesus

Jesus is a messenger?
Yes

Who sent him?
God.

Who is God?
Jesus.

Did Jesus worship while on earth? Yes

Whom did he worship?
God.

Who is God?
Jesus.

Did God have a beginning?
No....

Then who was born on 25 DEC?Jesus.

Who is God?
Jesus.

Where's God?
In heaven

How many are there in heaven?Only one God.

Where's Jesus?
He is seated on the right hand of his father.

Who is God?
Jesus.

Then how many are they in heaven?
Only one God

Then how many seats?
One

Where's Jesus?
Seated next to God.

Then how are they seated?
On one chair

Its only understood by those with the holy spirit.

Who is God?
Jesus.

A prove that some people with sub normal IQs display it to all just because they have a loud mouth and 10MB of data.

When a phenomenon baffles you, ask questions!
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by NairaExam690(m): 9:32am On Feb 04, 2018
Chisus really try and he overcome it all, If Na Naija guy he go don shop bread tey tey. Lol
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by Orodje(m): 9:59am On Feb 04, 2018
Why will Satan tempt Jesus that he will give him all the kingdoms of the earth knowing fully well He is God and he owns the whole universe.
the thing nor make sense to me

It's like telling a child go to this era for me and I will give u this car(the child's father car) the child will just laugh at u
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by k4kenny(f): 10:08am On Feb 04, 2018
shadeyinka:

A prove that some people with sub normal IQs display it to all just because they have a loud mouth and 10MB of data.

When a phenomenon baffles you, ask questions!

Then provide reasonable answers not insults! Reading through the OP's post where the devil told Jesus (AS) to bow to him, what was his reply?

8 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’[c]”

How can he be God and still say that? The message above is EVERYTHING ISLAM PREACHES.

Worship the Lord your creator and not Jesus (AS)
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by k4kenny(f): 10:11am On Feb 04, 2018
Orodje:
Why will Satan tempt Jesus knowing fully well he is God and he owns the whole universe, the thing nor make sense to me
I need somebody to explain to me

Simple answer: Jesus is an esteemed Messenger of God and not God Himself. The messenger can be tempted but not the Most High wink
Re: The Temptation Of Jesus Christ: Lessons To Be Learnt by JourneytoEL(f): 10:20am On Feb 04, 2018
PSTEMMA1960:
i learnt lots of lesson bt i will only contribute where the bible said that the devil departed for a season..

now what does it mean to depart for a season? in the olding days when u go into a battle and u then discover that the battle is too difficult 4u to win, u have to go back and do another plan..

so that was what happened, when the devil could nt make christ to sin, he did nt give up, bt instead he departed for only a season..

the same things are happening to us every day, if the devil tempts u today and u happen to overcome him, that does nt mean that he cannot come back to test u again..

so many christians who were able to overcome the devil in some areas of thier lives b4 are nt able to overcome him anymore..

as a good christian, u have to always depend on the holy spirit at all times if u must overcome the devil..

-the holy spirit, we are nt as wise as the devil..
thanks for your wonderful contribution, very insightful

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Mad Female Scientist Expressed Her Mind / What Reasons Made You Start Doubting Religion(s) And Then God(s) / Christian, What Kind Of Fisherman Are You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.