Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,859 members, 7,813,936 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? (5734 Views)

What Do Christians Think Of Homo Neanderthals? / Why Do Christians Fast? / Why Do Christians Fear Atheists So Much ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by Omooba77: 6:52am On Feb 04, 2018
Many atimes we Christain underate the power and potency of prayer. Jesus said, men should always pray without fainting. Paul also told us to pray without ceasing.
Nowadays many of us Christains dont pray as we ought, forget our weapons are not canal but might through God.
Even when you feel, God is slow in answering continue praying; answers will surely come because God do answer and all flesh must come to him, Psalm 65:2

Have a blessed Sunday Sirs and Mas!

11 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by Eldavis(m): 6:54am On Feb 04, 2018
I guess is cus mani view prayer as work

Or kinda stressful

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by hopefulLandlord: 7:46am On Feb 04, 2018
Anyone who thinks prayer does anything is vastly overestimating the power of prayer

Many believers regularly pray before they eat their meal, asking Yahweh to bless the food, and yet the food that many of these believers eat is actually killing them. Look at the epidemic of obesity in the southern US, an area with some of the most devout people in the entire country. (I use the US cuz they keep records much better than Nigeria)
If praying before you ate a meal did anything we'd expect to see believers suffering less of the ill effects of their diet compared to those who don't, yet this is clearly not the case.

also, there are actual scientific studies on prayer. Not one has ever shown any connection between prayer and real world outcomes. The only connection is that people who pray BELIEVE that their prayers are answered mostly because humans are designed to ignore all the facts that don't fit their beliefs. But the FACT is, we have studied prayer and it appears to have zero effect on anything. Unfortunately, every time some religious notion is disproven, religious people simply pivot to saying that Yahweh's plan is impossible to divine. AND YET, for some reason, the Bible commands us to pray which makes no sense AND has a scientifically proven lack of effect. People don't really believe in prayer. They know it's random. They are just scared of their mortality and can't accept that bad things happen for no reason. It's sad.

Finally, I've always said you would have the same success praying to a milk jug as you do praying to Yahweh -- the milk jug sometimes answers your prayer the way you want to, sometimes not and sometimes the answer is delayed. See the problem here? If things turn out the way you want them to, you say it was because you prayed. If not, it's because Yahweh knows what's best and you didn't pray for the right thing. Or, if it happens 10 years later you say Yahweh answered your prayer, it was just delayed. This is nonsense. You would have the exact same effect doing nothing.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by sonsomegrigbo: 7:50am On Feb 04, 2018
Simply because of heavy offerings they are compelled to pay afterwards.

Pastorprenuer, a heavily paying job
Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by Martinez19(m): 8:06am On Feb 04, 2018
Firstly, pray is stressful and christians, being the hypocrites that they are, know that prayer can't do shit and they don't depend on God when shit hit the fan in life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:56am On Feb 04, 2018
Omooba77:
Many atimes we Christain underate the power and potency of prayer.

IF PRAYER WAS POWERFUL AND POTENT, NIGERIA WILL BE BIGGER AND BETTER THAN INDIA, JAPAN, AUSTRALIA, NORWAY, ICELAND, AND MANY OTHER COUNTRIES THAT DON'T PRAY TO "GOD" AND JESUS.

OR PERHAPS, PROBABLY, THE PRAYERS THAT WORK HAS NEVER BEEN SAID BY ANYONE. undecided

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by CAPSLOCKED: 9:07am On Feb 04, 2018
Martinez19:
Firstly, pray is stressful and christians, being the hypocrites that they are, know that prayer can't do shit and they don't depend on God when shit hit the fan in life.

WHAT IF..
GOD IS REALLY ANGRY AT US HOW WE ALWAYS PRAYING TO HIM; "GIVE ME THIS, GIVE ME THAT".
WHEN HE HAS A PLAN FOR US ALREADY, AND DOESN'T NEED US ASKING FOR THINGS WHEN HE ALREADY KNOWS WHAT'S BEST FOR US?

WHAT IF BY PRAYING WE'RE SHOWING THAT WE DOUBT GOD'S AUTHENTICITY, BY REMINDING HIM OF WHAT TO DO EVERY NOW AND THEN; "GUIDE US FROM DEATH, SAVE US FROM ACCIDENTS, HELP US PASS EXAMS, AND GIVE US GOOD WIVES AND 2 MALE CHILDREN", WHEN HE ALREADY LAID DOWN THE PROGRAM OF OUR LIVES AND ALL WE NEED TO DO IS JUST "LIVE" ?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by Ginaz(f): 9:13am On Feb 04, 2018
Whenever I pray I feel at ease and my mind is at peace. wink

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by princeSammyz: 9:13am On Feb 04, 2018
Maybe cox results aren't so common
Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by Justbeingreal(m): 9:13am On Feb 04, 2018
Prayer works when you work hard

Don't expect prayers to work wonders when you just remain in one place doing nothing

God works with your effort

Is like sitting in your room and praying for a job without moving out.

Or praying God bless your hustle when you nor get hustle.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by AishaBuhari: 9:14am On Feb 04, 2018
We all chase a common goal, hence the distraction - Money
Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by shadeyinka(m): 9:14am On Feb 04, 2018
Omooba77:
Many atimes we Christain underate the power and potency of prayer. Jesus said, men should always pray without fainting. Paul also told us to pray without ceasing.
Nowadays many of us Christains dont pray as we ought, forget our weapons are not canal but might through God.
Even when you feel, God is slow in answering continue praying; answers will surely come because God do answer and all flesh must come to him, Psalm 65:2

The problem with us is that of confusion of sequence and modus of operation of PRAYER
1. God wouldn't do what you should do with the asset He has given you: and these include strength, brains, time, resources etc
2. Prayer works best when the solution to a problem isn't in the hands of man.
3. With prayers, no one has the control of time or how of Gods implementation of issues

Prayer isn't just for asking. Prayers is also for
Praise
Worship
Adoration
Confession
Friendly Chat
Expression of Pain and disappointment
Expression of Joy and Happiness

To God the maker of all things

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by slicco: 9:14am On Feb 04, 2018
Prayer is powerful
Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by kocvalour(m): 9:14am On Feb 04, 2018
quick success syndrome
Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by datola: 9:14am On Feb 04, 2018
Prayer is the key
Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by Kingdolo(m): 9:15am On Feb 04, 2018
Prayer helps.
Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by Nobody: 9:16am On Feb 04, 2018
If prayers work, would Nigeria still be a shithole - in the words of Donald Trump? grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by AishaBuhari: 9:17am On Feb 04, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

WHAT IF..
GOD IS REALLY ANGRY AT US HOW WE ALWAYS PRAYING TO HIM; "GIVE ME THIS, GIVE ME THAT".
WHEN HE HAS A PLAN FOR US ALREADY, AND DOESN'T NEED US ASKING FOR THINGS WHEN HE ALREADY KNOWS WHAT'S BEST FOR US?

WHAT IF BY PRAYING WE'RE SHOWING THAT WE DOUBT GOD'S AUTHENTICITY, BY REMINDING HIM OF WHAT TO DO EVERY NOW AND THEN; "GUIDE US FROM DEATH, SAVE US FROM ACCIDENTS, HELP US PASS EXAMS, AND GIVE US GOOD WIVES AND 2 MALE CHILDREN", WHEN HE ALREADY LAID DOWN THE PROGRAM OF OUR LIVES AND ALL WE NEED TO DO IS JUST "LIVE" ?
I love your comment... God gave us everything yet we let greed, wickedness cloud our hearts.

I can confidently say that Blacks are the world's greatest problems - We spend our time hating on one another while the whites spend their time inventing and making life easier for the common man.

The Question Is;
Whose prayer will God answer first?
A. The Whites
B. The Blacks

Anyways, God is merciful.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by umuna(m): 9:18am On Feb 04, 2018
Omooba77:

According to the GO, even the wicked underestimate its effectiveness. May the lord help us all! Quite a revealing service you know!
Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by Nobody: 9:18am On Feb 04, 2018
Prayer doesn't work all alone by itself
Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by tydi(m): 9:19am On Feb 04, 2018
And I tell them that a prayerless Christian is a powerless Christian..
happy Sunday u reading.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by shurley22(f): 9:20am On Feb 04, 2018
Maybe cos sometimes when they pray, they get the exact opposite of what they've prayed for
Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by DeSepiero(m): 9:22am On Feb 04, 2018
...because once in a while, our natural common sense overrules the stupidity instilled in us by religion.
Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by tydi(m): 9:26am On Feb 04, 2018
shurley22:
Maybe cos sometimes when they pray, they get the exact opposite of what they've prayed for

show me one sense in that comment above that you just wasted the space.

mm mm! show me!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by shurley22(f): 9:29am On Feb 04, 2018
tydi:

show me one sense in that comment above that you just wasted the space.

mm mm! show me!!!

I don't remember mentioning you here..
Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by CAPSLOCKED: 9:30am On Feb 04, 2018
AishaBuhari:

God gave us everything yet we let greed, wickedness cloud our hearts.

I can confidently say that Blacks are the world's greatest problems - We spend our time hating on one another while the whites spend their time inventing and making life easier for the common man.

The Question Is;
Whose prayer will God answer first?
A. The Whites
B. The Blacks

WELL..
GOD IS ALWAYS ON AUTOMATIC MODE SO I BELIEVE HE CAN ALWAYS ANSWER ALL AT ONCE. (THIS MEANS CHANGING HIS PLANS TO SUIT MAN'S NEED BECAUSE MAN'S NEEDS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN GOD'S PLANS. THIS THEN IMPLIES THAT GOD DOESN'T KNOW IT ALL, OTHERWISE THERE'LL BE NO NEED FOR PRAYERS).
Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by NairaExam690(m): 9:35am On Feb 04, 2018
Little faith ppl
Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by Herrmes: 9:37am On Feb 04, 2018
Happy prayers
Re: Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? by tydi(m): 9:38am On Feb 04, 2018
shurley22:

I don't remember mentioning you here..
I guess u shut up if you don't know the power behind prayers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

When You Refuse To Forgive. / Manipulating Mass Psychology. . . I Was In Church On Sunday. . . / Thank God It's Sunday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.