Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,815 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? (10353 Views)

Living Wraith Or 'akudaya', In Yoruba Traditional Belief; Myth Or Reality? / Be Sure Of Your Afterlife Before You Depart / A Thread Of My Questions To Vaxx on his religion - Yoruba Traditional belief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by orisa37: 5:09pm On Mar 15, 2018
FeelDeMusic:
Ok. Are you a believer in Ifa?

Yes ofcourse.
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 5:36pm On Mar 15, 2018
orisa37:

Yes ofcourse.
Well that explains your screenname (LOL)!
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by orisa37: 9:09pm On Mar 16, 2018
Omo Oduduwa ni mi and an Apostle of Christ.
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 11:54pm On Mar 16, 2018
orisa37:
Omo Oduduwa ni mi and an Apostle of Christ.
So you’re a n Ifa adherent as well as a Christian? Interesting!
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by zubike01(m): 6:28am On Apr 30, 2019
Orun Padi is the home of potsherds, it is the spiritual realm where people who committee evil during their life time go to dig their pit of sorrow before they are granted reincarnation. It is not hot like hell, but it is a place of auguish in the sense that one is would have spend time digging an equivalent to the amount of time spent commiting evil it is not an eternal punishment but is punishment enough for a very evil person.

1 Like

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by Tayorshd2(m): 2:44pm On Sep 11, 2022
zubike01:
Orun Padi is the home of potsherds, it is the spiritual realm where people who committee evil during their life time go to dig their pit of sorrow before they are granted reincarnation. It is not hot like hell, but it is a place of auguish in the sense that one is would have spend time digging an equivalent to the amount of time spent commiting evil it is not an eternal punishment but is punishment enough for a very evil person.

I guess u are right because have heard of someone that's died although people knew him to be very wealthy when he was alive.. so after he was buried about 5 of his friends and family's dreamth of him digging and also breaking rocks like hard work or impossible labour for a particular person to do... And they all organize a prayer for him that it shows he has done ritual when he was.alive and that's what they are seeing in dreams ...
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by Tayorshd2(m): 2:48pm On Sep 11, 2022
vaxx:
Nothing like heaven or hell in yoruba traditional believe....The concept of orun apadi and orun rere is liking to Abarahamic believe that was introduce into Yoruba society.our believe evolve around these 16 truth i listed below.

1 This is a benevolent universe created by a benevolent oludumare

2 fear comes from ramifications of short time thinking,with long time thinking. you need have no fear.

3 There is a single creative force olodumare

4 Waiting to transition with judgmental GOD and a non existence devil. steals your future.

5 It is your birthright to be joyful , successful and be loved.

6 Personal empowerment is the path of success and fulfillment.

7 You are part of the universe in a never ending symbiotic relationship.

8 Character determines the outcome

9 All supremacy is evil

10 You must never initiate harm to another human being

11 You must never harm the universe of which you are part

12 Discrimination is personally and culturally destructive.

13 Diversity is the template of olodumare(GOD)creation.

14 You select your destiny.

15 Divination provides a road map to your destiny.

16 You can not fix things. you must repair what is actually causing the problem.

Fantastic one i really love this cheesy wink smiley
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by Tayorshd2(m): 2:52pm On Sep 11, 2022
vaxx:
You can't remember the past because you will not bring your memory with you. You died, your memory died .

This is the good news! You get to start this new life completely fresh, without worrying about all the traumatic experiences you had in your previous lives. Imagine if you carried with you in each life that terrible memory from 10,000 BC when you were swallow by a big snake while hunting ..... Some things are really better off forgotten.......

For the suicidal, you only kill the body and not the spirit itself. The spirit imperishable and immortal..... If you do not correct your issues in this life time , you are still coming back to meet the same problem.....so you have to fix it now .....so that it will not become known phenomenon in the family .......

Thanks for this eye opening post
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by Tayorshd2(m): 3:01pm On Sep 11, 2022
FOLYKAZE:
Yoruba philosophy has a distinct view on the concept of life, death and afterlife. To start with, the nature of life according to the Yoruba people transcend biological view. We believe that everything including the non living things are alive. Therefore, Yoruba do not essentially hold that life is all about breathing oxygen. But rather, life continually vibrates.

Death as we know is the end of life. This is half truth because what ends is the breathing process. Yoruba people believe that life does not end. It rather transcend to realm. There is a common saying that Ajo laye. Meaning the physical world is path through which we sojourn. Generally speaking, Yoruba people believe that a person kú (die), but ẹ̀mí re kọjá (life has transcended) or o tí relé (he has sojourn home). In the case of Ọba, Yoruba carefully don't use the word kú. They rather use the term waja which mean climb. There is no living being (life as in term of biology), what we have is Ọmọ-aráyé (the people of the physical world) while those dead are called Ara-ọrùn (people who dwell in the zenith).

Ọrun as we know is heaven. I do not personally like using the term heaven for Orun because Abrahamic theology has bastardize the original meaning of the word. Orun is the world beyond, zenith and the abode of ancestors and divinities. It is part of this planet, but in different dimension or realm. Yorùbá actually believe Orun is a home next door. Orun nile, bi a ba rin ajo, ile la n fi abo sì (heaven is abode, one who sojourn must surely return back home).

There is no concept of Hell in Yoruba spiritual system. The term Orun Àpáàdì or any term used by Christians and Muslims have no relation with Yoruba spirituality or philosophy. Yoruba people do not have the concept of sin or pinishment for sin in the afterlife. There is ẹsẹ or àṣemáṣe (illegality ot wrongdoings) which postulate on a given law in a society. However, one can only be punished for the wrongdoing on physical world in the physical world. Ase gbe kan ó sì, ase pamọ lọ wà this is our own Karma philosophy. But the effect of our actions will manifest only when we are here on earth.

Just like concept of life and death, Yoruba people hold a distinct view on reincarnation. Reincarnation is the return of a person who are long dead back into the physical world. Yoruba hold a different view called A sẹhin wáyé. Aseinwaye can simply be termed as rebith of consciousness. It connotes that life and death is an unending circle that turns through different realms or dimension. A dead person still lives. Not as a biological but metphysical sense. Yoruba people hold that dead people live on in their realm. And they also believe that after one die, one join the ancestors and later returns back to the world to continue their sojourn until Ìwà pẹ̀lẹ́ is achieved. Here is the quote of common saying during burial ceremony of a Yoruba person.

Bi o ba dele ki o kile (greet them when you get home)
Bi o ba dona ki o soyaya (Merry on on yoit sojourn path)
Bi o dorun o sorun re (make good the ancestors realm)
Ma jokun ma jekolo (do not eat earthworms or centipede)
Ohun ti nwon je lajule orun ni kí o maa je. (feast on whatever they eat in the ancestors world).

There is a chicken called Adie Irana. It is used to part ways for the dead person that sojourn to heaven.

There is also a song among the Yorubas.

Tete de o o (return quickly)
Jowo tete wa ya, baba (please branch here baba)
Bi o ba nlo o,jowo tete wa ya (when you sojourn through this path, do branch).

These sayings, songs and thought points that Yoruba people hold a strong believe in the cycle of life. And that life is essentially not breathing but vibration. All in all, there is no hell in Yoruba spirituality

Great writeup but

1)what do you have to say about someone they buried with a red cloth all over ...

2) what's your take on dead but still in the moturary but not yet buried.

3) after she was buried that same day i dreamt about her giving me money and I collected the money and that's what I can remember and I woke up...

According to your knowledge in yoruba spiritually please
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by Tayorshd2(m): 3:05pm On Sep 11, 2022
vaxx:
2 Yes you have the chances to select your destiny, apart from race , gender and color. these are fixed. every challenges man face is as a result of his handwork. It is your birthright to be happy, joyful and be successful.

1 Let me start with a question... what experience, thoughts and prejudice will a dead toddler or infant possess ? you are only thinking this way because you have grown to store all these in your memory. imagine you suddenly have a brain damage where you have to forget everything you stored in there... will it stop making you whom you are?

The real you is your unconscious mind, let me tell you little thing about it.

The concept activation and primitive association learning most and often occur unconsciously while anything complex requiring flexible responding or higher mental process couldn't.... To what extent are human aware of and were able to report the true causes of their behavior? The simple answer is not very well.....in a nutshell ,actions precede reflection...

In reality your conscious mind is just the connection between the “real you” (unconscious mind and your interaction with physical reality, environment etc. As such, your conscious mind cannot actually display something that is not a part of you. But neither can it display all parts of you in any given moment.

How will you explain these theories?

Baby born with talented skills like drawing, singing , swimming etc without learning it.....people call it inborn talent or genetic factor... But I call it element of reincarnation... for example the identical twins. ...identical twins are a result of spitted egg...look at the difference in their temperaments even with the same genetic factor....so many example i can give..

Great writeup but but I have another question in different dimensions please what's ur take on them

1)what do you have to say about someone they buried with a red cloth all over ...

3) after she was buried that same day i dreamt about her giving me money and I collected the money and that's what I can remember and I woke up...

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by Tayorshd2(m): 3:07pm On Sep 11, 2022
hopefulLandlord:

that's a very good explanation

If I'm brain dead, I'm no longer me I'm afraid

If I no longer have memory of my family, daughter, former colleagues, bossiness associates, where I've been, friends, well wishers, neighbours, each names of the listed, best food, goals, achievements, milestones, girlfriend, past girlfriends, the happy and sad moments, the ups and downs

Then I'm no longer "Me", Yes! I'd still be me according to Olodumare (assuming he exists and Yoruba traditional belief is true) but that's as good as me remembering my computer is still mine despite the fact that I just formatted it. To me, its still my computer but to the computer (assuming its totally wiped clean and only hardwares are intact) its a NEW computer which its master is now putting to use

I think the difference boils down to what view we have of it, the view of the computer about itself is limited so it sees itself as new while the maker or user knows that its not new. I think I am the computer and Olodumare is the User or maker

Correct now you have gotten the congrete explanation grin

Great writeup though but please help me with this

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Six Ways We Can Receive Healing & Cleansing From God / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying / Don't Fool Yourself, Fake Jesus & His Blood Won't Save You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.