Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,775 members, 7,810,020 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:46 PM

English Grammar Lesson - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / English Grammar Lesson (22273 Views)

Kpakpa Grammar School 18+ / English Grammar Quiz / English Grammar Lesson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: English Grammar Lesson by Jdesilentkiller(m): 10:19am On Feb 12, 2018
[quote author=jojothaiv post=64994778]See how people dey cast on top their comments, so "English Masters" full nairaland like this, Chai I just dey see correction upandan...

grin grin grin[/quote
Lol....forget them, English language is not a one way traffic. If you are doubting your grammatical arrangement just change your structures. You can just change your approach entirely and it will make sense. Instead of saying "she sings better than I do or me or whatever.... Just change it to" between the two of us... She sings better "... Or any other approach.
To challenge your intellect , download Immanuel Kant books.... Your brain will overheat
Re: English Grammar Lesson by jojothaiv(m): 10:21am On Feb 12, 2018
[quote author=Jdesilentkiller post=64995423][/quote] No be lie.
Re: English Grammar Lesson by Timawuj(m): 10:37am On Feb 12, 2018
timwudz:
Kini English?

ede kede, oro koro...ti iya mi o gbo, ti baba o gbo ton fi tipa tipa komi... OP, ye kanra momi

My friend stop speaking vanacular here.
Re: English Grammar Lesson by Nobody: 10:56am On Feb 12, 2018
Offpoint:

you're right bro, I'm active in one of their forum, the English and spellings there is so poor I thought they're Kenyans...

after Indians... na Americans written English poor pass
its either they are just deliberately being informal or just simply uneducated
Re: English Grammar Lesson by donprincebigt(m): 11:57am On Feb 12, 2018
Afolearning:
When you say 'You sing better than I' , the complete sentence is 'you sing better than I do. ' Obviously, you can't say YOU SING BETTER THAN ME DO. THAT WILL BE GRAMMATICALLY WRONG. WHEN 'THAN' is used in a sentence, it means the other part of the sentence is ellipted(deliberately) left out, and to start the other part of the sentence, you can start with an objective case of pronoun.
I wonder o.
Re: English Grammar Lesson by timwudz(m): 12:06pm On Feb 12, 2018
Timawuj:

My friend stop speaking vanacular here.
You need to understand what vernacular really is. Yoruba is my father's language.. English is a foreign language, it's the vernacular here.
Re: English Grammar Lesson by kokomilala(m): 12:17pm On Feb 12, 2018
You're not absolutely correct. You're using Traditional Grammar which is fraught with problems. The biggest of which is its use of Latin to describe the structures or grammar of English Language. This anomaly lasted for 25 centuries until a philologist, Ferdinand de Sausure(?) challenged it.
In other grammatical theories like Systemic Functional Grammar, emphasis is placed on functionality. That is, how language is used in real time. To this end, 'she's better than me is absolutely correct. Added to that, since me as an object pronoun occupies the predicate position, it technically functions as an object pronoun. Verbs and prepositions effect pronouns. E.g.In me, to her, for me, I love you,I don't trust her etc, etc.
So, the Traditional concept of using Latin to describe English language is outdated and technically out of place.

1 Like

Re: English Grammar Lesson by Offpoint: 12:56pm On Feb 12, 2018
iRyan:
its either they are just deliberately being informal or just simply uneducated
you're right bro
Re: English Grammar Lesson by Afolearning(m): 5:29pm On Feb 12, 2018
chukxie:
Nice one. Could you explain why "She sings better than me" is grammatically wrong while " She sings better than I" is right? Considering 'me' is an objective pronoun that usually comes after the main verb in a sentence, it would make more sense that the first sentence is correct. 'She sings better than I do' is correct, too.

Hello Chuxie, it is grammatically wrong to say 'She sings better than me do'.It is only logical and grammatical to say 'She sings better than I do. However, the word 'do'is often ellipted (deliberately left out).

Hope you are cleared on this?

1 Like

Re: English Grammar Lesson by Afolearning(m): 5:49pm On Feb 12, 2018
From the comments I have read so far, it clearly shows participants are more concerned about the expression ' She sings better than I.' This is the correct answer because the full or complete expression is 'She sings better than I do'. Obviously, it will be wrong to say 'she sings better than me do'.

I hope I am clear on this one?

Thanks for dropping your questions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: English Grammar Lesson by Newboss(m): 6:53pm On Feb 12, 2018
Afolearning:
When you say 'You sing better than I' , the complete sentence is 'you sing better than I do. ' Obviously, you can't say YOU SING BETTER THAN ME DO. THAT WILL BE GRAMMATICALLY WRONG. WHEN 'THAN' is used in a sentence, it means the other part of the sentence is ellipted(deliberately) left out, and to start the other part of the sentence, you can start with an objective case of pronoun.
Very wrong! Check your dictionary! angry

You are mistaking "than" for "as". Very technical stuff! angry

I was thinking the same way until I saw that thing you said is wrong in a dictionary! angry

Here it's:

Re: English Grammar Lesson by Afolearning(m): 7:29pm On Feb 12, 2018
kokomilala:
You're not absolutely correct. You're using Traditional Grammar which is fraught with problems. The biggest of which is its use of Latin to describe the structures or grammar of English Language. This anomaly lasted for 25 centuries until a philologist, Ferdinand de Sausure(?) challenged it.
In other grammatical theories like Systemic Functional Grammar, emphasis is placed on functionality. That is, how language is used in real time. To this end, 'she's better than me is absolutely correct. Added to that, since me as an object pronoun occupies the predicate position, it technically functions as an object pronoun. Verbs and prepositions effect pronouns. E.g.In me, to her, for me, I love you,I don't trust her etc, etc.
So, the Traditional concept of using Latin to describe English language is outdated and technically out of place.

@Kokomilala, while I agree with you that structuralism ushered in an entirely different and superior linguistic ideology that eventually lead to the displacement of traditional grammar, you can't still take away the fact that there are certain grammatical concepts pioneered by Traditional grammar. These certain grammatical concepts still persist and hold sway in formal expression and 'THAN I' is one of them.

Let me conclude my asking this question: if you were asked this question in the exams, and you have the options : ME and I, which one would you choose?

However, thanks for coming through from an indepth point of view. You can follow me on Facebook and instagram, Afolearning English, for more incisive, indepth, resourceful and robust linguistic discourse. Thanks for stopping by.

1 Like

Re: English Grammar Lesson by kokomilala(m): 7:51pm On Feb 12, 2018
@Afolearnnig, of course, the bias would, expectedly, be towards I. But this is not correct. The formality of the English language has encouraged this anomaly. Like I said earlier on, the predicate that houses the verbs and adverbs in a sentence or clause impacts pronouns and, more than anything else changes their form.
Subject Predicate
I am better than her.

Subject Predicate
Tunde sent her away.
In the above examples, it's the impact of verbs that affects the pronouns.
On a flip note, I did a thesis on language in my first degree. I challenged some of the long - held convictions on the structure of the English language. Naturally, it didn't go down well with my school until they took it to U I, where I was vindicated.
We must challenge everything wrong with public culture, including languages, if the need arises.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: English Grammar Lesson by chukxie(m): 1:03am On Feb 13, 2018
Afolearning:

Hello Chuxie, it is grammatically wrong to say 'She sings better than me do'.It is only logical and grammatical to say 'She sings better than I do. However, the word 'do'is often ellipted (deliberately left out).

Hope you are cleared on this?

Of course it is absurd and grammatically wrong to say 'She sings better than me do'. However, the sentence 'She sings better than me' is right because 'she' (subject) + sings better than (verb + comparative adjective) + me (object pronoun) not I (subject pronoun). On the issue of ellipsis, for the avoidance of amiguity, a speaker must be certain he/she would be understood before using one of various forms of ellipsis. So rather than just saying ' She sings better than I' (with 'do' ellipted) it is much better to say ' She sings better than I do'. 'Shikina'! Have a blessed day, sir!
Re: English Grammar Lesson by igbanbajo(m): 7:25am On Feb 15, 2018
Afolearning:
ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CASE OF PRONOUNS
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Pronouns are words used instead of nouns, that is, they are used to replace nouns in sentences.

The prominent advantage of pronouns is that it helps prevent unnecessary repetition of nouns in sentences.

On the other hand, CASE of PRONOUNS is the FORMS and FUNCTIONS of pronouns in sentences.

We have the following case of pronouns in English:

SUBJECTIVE CASE : it is used in subject position and often comes before the verb in a sentence, e.g. SHE, HE, IT, YOU, THEY and I.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
OBJECTIVE CASE : it is comes after the verb ,that is, it is the element that receives the action performed by the subject, e.g ME, HER, HIM, THEM, YOU, and US.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
POSSESSIVE CASE: It is used to show possession or ownership, e.g. MINE, OURS, HIS, HERS, THEIRS and ITS.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
REFLEXIVE CASE: It is used to mark a reference back to the subject, and it often ends with the suffix 'self or selves'. Here are examples: MYSELF, HIMSELF, YOURSELF/VES, THEMSELVES, HERSELF and ITSELF.
------------------------------------------------------------------
#READ, LEARN, AND SHARE THIS POST, IT DOESN'T COST A THING TO SHARE; JUST CLICK THE SHARE ICON. #THANKS.

Do you have any problem with the use of pronouns in English: feel free to drop your question, rest assured of a resourceful response.

COMMON MISTAKES IN THE USE OF PRONOUNS

They fought themselves. ❌
They fought each other. ✔

She sings better than me. ❌
She sings better than I. ✔

One should not behave as if he knows it all. ❌
One should not behave as if one knows it all ✔

The questions are directed to we girls. ❌
The questions are directed to us girls. ✔

She meant Bola and I. ❌
She meant Bola and me. ✔

Everybody love watching American movies. ❌
Everybody loves watching American movies. ✔

To learn more you can always follow me on this platform. You can also visit, like and follow me on Facebook and Instagram on Afolearning English. #THANKS.

Following.
Re: English Grammar Lesson by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jun 20, 2018
Can someone pls hlp me with this:
Joan, as much as her mother-in-law's little kids--------Pretty.
a)are
b) is
c) can
d) must be
Re: English Grammar Lesson by chukxie(m): 5:47pm On Jun 21, 2018
jemmyjae:
Can someone pls hlp me with this:
Joan, as much as her mother-in-law's little kids--------Pretty.
a)are
b) is
c) can
d) must be

B) is.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Tarnished Ones / List Your Top Five Greatest Books / The Last Temptation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.