Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,015 members, 7,838,554 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

South Africa's Zuma: I've Done Nothing Wrong - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Africa's Zuma: I've Done Nothing Wrong (325 Views)

Former South Africa leader Jacob Zuma barred from running in elections / Donald Trump- I've Done More For The Black Community Than Any Other President / South Africa: Zuma Charged With Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

South Africa's Zuma: I've Done Nothing Wrong by Eggcelent(m): 5:39pm On Feb 14, 2018
South Africa's embattled President Jacob Zuma says he has done nothing wrong and sees no reason to stand down.

Mr Zuma spoke after the ruling African National Congress (ANC) gave him an ultimatum to resign by the end of the day or face a parliamentary vote of no confidence on Thursday.

The 75-year-old has come under increasing pressure to resign amid numerous allegations of corruption.

But he said the ANC had failed to explain why he had been recalled.

In a lengthy, unannounced, interview with national broadcaster SABC, Mr Zuma made no reference to the early morning police raids and arrests at the home of his close associates, the wealthy, Indian-born Gupta family.

The Guptas have been accused of using their close friendship with the president to wield enormous political influence. Both parties deny all allegations of wrongdoing

Mr Zuma stressed that he was not defying the ANC but he disagreed with its decision to ask him to resign.

"It was very unfair to me that this issue is raised," he said. "Nobody has ever provided the reasons. Nobody is saying what I have done."

Mr Zuma's decision to cling on to power has put him at odds with South Africa's deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa, the ANC's new leader and his expected successor.

President Zuma told SABC he had offered to go after June, but objected to the way the issue was currently being handled.

He said he would make a further statement later on Wednesday

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-africa-43060759

(1) (Reply)

Vladimir Putin Retains Grip On Russia, Exit Polls Show / Sleek Cars Worth Millions Of Dollars Allegedly Owned By Fr. S.A President / The United States Quits UN Human Rights Council.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.