Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,543 members, 7,812,697 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:42 PM

Why You're Not Getting Job Interviews - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why You're Not Getting Job Interviews (485 Views)

5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews / 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) / Latest Nigeria Current Affairs Questions And Answers For Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why You're Not Getting Job Interviews by kenychordz: 9:23am On Feb 16, 2018
There are so many different reasons why you have been applying for jobs and not getting any interviews.

1) You are under qualified for the job

The job market is a very competitive place, so when you don't have all the requirements your employer is looking for then it's very likely your not going to be called for an interview not to talk of getting the job

For every position advertised as being open there is an average of 150 applicants applying for the job, so when you're under qualified your chances of being called for an interview are very slim

My advice will be to get all the necessary skills or certifications you need for the job you're applying for.

2) You're over qualified for the job

I know this sounds funny, being over qualified for a job should probably land you the job, but sadly that's not how things work at least not all the time

I'll explain

When recruiters are asking for an OND graduate and you have a HND or BSC it's most likely you're not going to get the job because you're employers can't pay you, so they need someone with a lesser qualification that they can afford to pay

3) You have a badly written CV

If you have a badly written CV your chances of landing any job are very slim. You should probably get your CV reviewed by a professional CV writer or check my last article on how to write a professional cv

4) Your CV is not tailored to the job you are applying for

This is a common mistake most job applicants make, you're CV should be tailored to the particular job you're applying for, a lot of job applicants use one CV to apply for all jobs which is very wrong

If you have been doing this then, it's probably the reason your not getting job interviews

All this are possible reason for not getting a job interview, but what happens when you meet all the requirements and still you're not getting called for interviews.

Then it could be your CV does not pass the ATS test, which is what I'd like to talk about today.

I know in one way or the other you must have heard about the ATS test, so what exactly is this ATS.

ATS stands for APPLICANT TRACKING SYSTEM

It is a robot or a software used to Seive out CV from a pool of CVS.

It is used by a lot of multinational or big companies and also by a good number of middle class companies because of the large number of applicants they receive for a job.

Surprisingly 80% of job applicants fail the ATS test

Now this might shock you but it is also used by most job sites where you apply for jobs, if your CV can't pass the ATS test then it wouldn't even get to your employers, most of those job sites after applying they tell you your application has been submitted to the HR of the company your applying to, but this couldn't be further from the truth.
Most times it is first of all seived through by their ATS software's when it passes the test that is when it is actually sent to the HR of the company you're applying to, when it doesn't pass the ATS test it is passed to a CV black hole along with other CVS which didn't pass the test.
Don't get surprised when your been sent messages for an interview from people or firms you do not remember applying to, most of these people are scammers mostly GNLD and if your wondering how they got a hold of your CV it's probably from the CV black hole.

HOW ATS WORKS

The ATS robot or software operates with key words and commands which are entered into it by operators, when it scans through your CV and those keywords aren't there then it passes it out to the black hole.

SO THE BIG QUESTION IS HOW DO YOU GET YOUR CV TO PASS THE ATS TEST

1) always write your CV tailored to the particular job you're applying for.

2) make sure there are no typo errors on your cv

3) make sure the information on your CV is properly arranged

4) Make sure you use keywords in your CV, the keywords or requirements used in the job advert

WHY YOUR CV DOESN'T PASS THE ATS TEST

1) you have a badly written cv

2) your CV is too complicated (simplicity is key)

3) your CV cannot be read by the ATS software

4) there is too much graphics or design on your CV (Again simplicity is key)

5) there are no key words on your cv

Hope these tips have been helpful, of course I can't put everything I know into writing without omitting a few things.

If you have any questions leave it in the comments I'll get back to you

For info on how to write a professional CV look up my previous post "how to write a professional cv by yourself"

Be sure to follow me I'll be dropping some interesting topics soon
* How to pass the CV 7 seconds test
* How to use keywords in your CV
* how to use power words in you cv

(1) (Reply)

Executive Assistant Intern Needed Urgently / Opportunities For Freelance Script Writers / Vacancy For Pipe Service Engineer At Mar & Mor Integrated Services Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.