Stats: 3,151,431 members, 7,812,281 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews (35428 Views)

RECRUITMENT AT Job Vacancies At Stedarol Global Concept Limited / Latest Nigeria Current Affairs Questions And Answers For Job Interviews / Man Meets His Boss At Job Interview He Attended After Taking A Sick Leave (2) (3) (4)

5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:01am On Apr 06, 2020
Unemployment seems to be a growing theme around the world, and the figures keep rising. Many people, for one reason or the other, have failed to nail down some kind of job. While there are factors that contribute to not finding a good job, the fact is it can’t all be entirely the employers fault. This is because many people fail at the interview stage. They go in with thoughts at having landed the job but the reverse is often the case. So what do potential employees and job seekers do wrong and need to avoid at subsequent interviews? Read on to learn about 5 of such deadly sins.

1. Arriving Unprepared

You get the invite you’ve been craving for long time but turn up poorly prepared and totally out of your depth. This is one sin that’s unforgivable especially if it involves not researching enough about the organization you applied to. It becomes more inexcusable with the amount of information online and elsewhere.

Sure, you know a lot about your field but since you’re not going to get questions you prepare, how about preparing for a change. Anything can happen with regard to questions. So you’d best learn about your interviewers, the organization, and how they operate. Never go in unprepared.

2. Not Having a Weakness

Even geniuses have weaknesses. So don’t post up as having none. This is the case with most job seekers when they’re interviewing. Knowing it all or showing more than you should will come off as being overconfident. Of course, you want to look smart along with your excellent work and performance reviews. But there’s a thin line between satisfying the interviewer’s curiosity and being overly smart.

3. No Knowledge About what You’re Interviewing for

You’ve applied for a job but don’t know exactly what you’re interviewing for. However, the details of the job, the role you’ll occupy, and other information is lost on you. This means one thing – you’re getting thrown out sooner than you can think about it. The fact is most employers have little details about the post they’ve made public.

The job description and some specific names should be on your lips. Also, flowing from being unprepared for the job, not knowing why you’re here is damning. It shows you’re the least bit serious about working for them. What you should do is figure out details to help you make an immediate impression.

4. Lying on your resume

Some candidates are so eager to get a job they resort to lying on their resume. Well, not only are you going to get found out, but you might be blacklisted across many levels. Via your resume or CV, potential employers get to know more about you, and yes, other’s opinions about you and the services you provide or provided.

Most candidates also go ahead to cite organizations where they’ve never worked at. This is dishonest, and most employers go out of their way to confirm what you’ve included in your resume. This is second nature now especially with so many digital tools like LinkedIn, and hiring agencies that will stop at nothing to obtain the truth. Want to stand a chance? Don’t lie.

5. Talking Poorly About Former Organizations and Colleagues

It’s going to look all interesting, at least from your own perspective, when you give information about your former workplace and colleagues. But mouthing off on them or talking poorly about them in front of interviewers will paint you in bad light. This will never get you hired or even considered for a post. When presented with the chance, always speak positively about your former employers.

Conclusion

Avoid these 5 deadly sins to genuinely stand a chance to get that job.
https://patrickokunima.com/5-deadly-sins-to-avoid-at-job-interviews/

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:01am On Apr 06, 2020
Feel free to add yours.
Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 06, 2020
I have never even attended any interview since i left school.

since my wife gave birth to my son a year plus, i started to hustle real hard.

Having a child is no joke oh.

Thanks to google adsense, Mturk, EBAY and dropshipping.

Work from home sweet.

Modified
How i make money

Adsense - Viral posts not targeted to Nigerians cos our cpc is dead. least earn is 270$ with spending 30$ for ads

Mturk- least income is 350$ Monthly. Surveys but the pay is sweet.

Ebay- Selling some digital books. like 45$ stills comes from there

Dropshipping- Not much now due to coro everywhere but over 70$.

Google my source of income and join all free

If you want a tutorial to what i listed, just follow me on nairaland, so when i post on it you will be notified

115 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by Houseofglam7(f): 3:04pm On Apr 06, 2020

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by ignis: 3:04pm On Apr 06, 2020
The most important factor in landing a good paying job now is connection. You have to know somebody that knows somebody that knows somebody. Once you do, you don't even need to attend the interview.

In Nigeria, most people that finally lands the job did not pass through interview screening process. Even if they do, it's just for formality.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by buygala(m): 3:04pm On Apr 06, 2020
Hustle oooo......Make ur pikin no dey cram this kind thread before Job interview. cry..

How I expect my kids to speak at interviews..

My kid: Hello, I am Kolade buygala..I ....

Interviewer: Are you Otunba Adebo Buygala's son? shocked

My kid: ermmm.....yes ....is there a problem Sir?

Interviewer: ahhh.....noooo..we have been expecting you Sir....the Manager will attend to you immediately and show you your office...

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by Zombiekiller010: 3:05pm On Apr 06, 2020
Adidas
Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by GabinoMarket(f): 3:05pm On Apr 06, 2020
Lol hmm...
Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by ALABACONNECT(m): 3:05pm On Apr 06, 2020
Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by PureGoldh(m): 3:05pm On Apr 06, 2020
Nice tips...kudos to the OP.
Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by Tpave(m): 3:05pm On Apr 06, 2020
Good one op. That no5 na heavy trap
Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by Ayoswit(f): 3:06pm On Apr 06, 2020
OK, kudos cool
Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by Yeecar(m): 3:06pm On Apr 06, 2020
Amidst this pandemic covid 19?

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by DaBillionnaire: 3:06pm On Apr 06, 2020
You are right ,op.

But all in all, na God.

We pray that God connect us to big jobs as we continue to hustle our small biz.

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by TempUser: 3:06pm On Apr 06, 2020
Lol. The world don end finish you dey talk interview.

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by NigeriaBam: 3:06pm On Apr 06, 2020
Interesting. NICE One
Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by akanbiaa(m): 3:06pm On Apr 06, 2020
Okay
Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by vasco01(m): 3:06pm On Apr 06, 2020
Lastly mind your business
Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by Mikelarteta(m): 3:07pm On Apr 06, 2020
Nice one.
Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by atobs4real(m): 3:07pm On Apr 06, 2020
All the items mentioned put one in a mess

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by akanbiaa(m): 3:07pm On Apr 06, 2020
Hi
Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by Uniqueteco(m): 3:07pm On Apr 06, 2020
Sin
Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by Emecunze: 3:08pm On Apr 06, 2020
Not knowing about the position you applied for... Happened to me once. I was confused between contact centre agent and customer service agent. Damn. cry cry

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by AsawanaDgreat: 3:09pm On Apr 06, 2020
Yeah
Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by llade(m): 3:09pm On Apr 06, 2020
Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by DirtyGold: 3:09pm On Apr 06, 2020
This is for the average man still hustling and believing that one day, naija go beta.... awon Martin Luther King geng.

The proper naija way to a decent job is to know somebody and the interview will be a mere formality. No stress at all! Religious people will call it grace grin

What's tha business?

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by teemanbastos(m): 3:09pm On Apr 06, 2020
Great one OP.

Preparation is vital, have good information about the job description you're applying for and the organization then blend in how you wish to further the organization's aims with your personal knowledge and talents. Be more focused on the organization than yourself! This increases your acceptance ratio.

Confidence, a pleasing appearance and understanding of yourself helps greatly! Success

Once you are perceived as one who knows his craft well, a healthy remuneration falls in place easily.

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by dake40(m): 3:10pm On Apr 06, 2020
Ontop how much?

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by nurez305(m): 3:10pm On Apr 06, 2020
Too much preparation for interview is very bad....Though the world is ending soon, interview with a mere man shouldn't be our major concern but our interview with the Almighty one

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by Janiobi(m): 3:10pm On Apr 06, 2020
make i no lie for my resume yet you want make i lie about the old eba i work with before i come your office. are you okay. i go just lie for everything as long 1 lie enter so definitely, more lies you go hear since you no wan hear the true matter. mtcheeeeeeeeeeew. Marlian don luss again oh

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by StarUp: 3:11pm On Apr 06, 2020
People still follow all these scrap list? Just show up and say your godamn mind... grin

Re: 5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews by Angelinastto(f): 3:11pm On Apr 06, 2020
The labour market is most times based on luck and connection. Thanks for the tip OP

Travelling Abroad Or Taking Immigration Job? / @mufclatestnews Removes Editor Who Said Nigerians Are A Waste Of Oxygen & Flesh / Ugandan Hotel Job Advert: Indians & White Persons Are Preferred (Photo)