Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,894 members, 7,814,021 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family (67909 Views)

Your Experience As A Rich Or Only Rich Relative.. / How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family / Lady Sues Father For Banning Her From Marrying Christian Boyfriend In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Intrepid01(m): 11:59am On Feb 17, 2018
LagosismyHome:

The other side of this story is really women should not marry less than what they currently have grin

I would want my children to live a better life than I have and to be honest I did have a good life so yes I see a situation where my family can offer to pay.

Whether it right or wrong depends on who you ask... yes it might not be good for the man ego but ego verus the children benefitting from having the best . In some cases it finding that right balance and be aligned in some of the fundamentals in life . I still prefer both parties marrying from similar class

You are the pefect example of the "woman-type" people have been saying every man should avoid....you really need to work on your psychic....riches and prosperity isn't a function of smartness or brilliance , therefore none is to be blamed for coming short in that regard.
I hope your intending suitors know what they are gunning for.

8 Likes

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Nobody: 12:00pm On Feb 17, 2018
Apination:
It was never about the money, it's a simple case of character which u pointed out at the end. Marriage is between two individuals first before the families, you are married to your wife and not her family and families are not supposed to interfere in ur affairs but intervene which would be as a result of you asking for their assistance if needed. I swear, I would have sent her packing for blatantly undermining me if I were in your shoes cos it's first your decision as to how your children are to be trained based on your available means and then secondly your wife's support in bringing it to light. Comfort though is relative but such relativism is situational and your wife has no excuse as for whatever action she took which did not align with it. Your wife clearly doesn't respect u as a person but only what u can bring to the table, your marriage is simply one of convenience. undecided
The attitude of a rich man's wife changes when his financial condition goes south, no matter how loving & respectful she is.
This money issue is applicable in every aspect of life, not just marriage.

Having money = getting respect.
Lacking money = loosing respect.

Even in churches, wealthy & broke members are not treated equally. Even people with questionable character still command respect, provided they are rich.
In the family, a rich last son has more honour & respect than a broke first son.

IN LIFE DO ALL YOU CAN TO GET MONEY. BUT ABSTAIN FROM ILLEGAL & IMMORAL THINGS...

13 Likes

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by LandOwners: 12:01pm On Feb 17, 2018
Belafonte:

i woukd advise you to have a knowledge of wIht you stand to lose in the event of a divorce. How would you be parting with if the marriage doesn't go as planned? Also, not having a Registry wedding pits you on firmer ground in the sense that you don't have to walk on eggshells, compromising your manhood just because you don't want to lose out in a divorce.

You are 100% right.
No wonder she keeps mounting pressure for registry wedding first before anything.
Thanks for the piece of advice.

happy weekend to u

2 Likes

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Pat081: 12:03pm On Feb 17, 2018
crismark:

i dey knw rich gals wen i see dem...their attitude nd behaviour is jst natural but all dose ones weh no get sabi form well...
lol u re right
Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Belafonte(m): 12:04pm On Feb 17, 2018
omooba969:

The question is 'What is love & What is family'?
Love is a fantasy that we have chosen to build our realities on. Of course, like all false foundations the building begins to crumble sooner or later.

We all know what family is. Parents can love their children, unconditionally, I'm not sure people can love their spouses the way they want to be loved.

He clearly stressed that 'MONEY IS KEY' but how much money is another subject entirely. The fact that the wife's parents are rich gives her the strength to throw her weight around; it's not particularly ideal if she doesn't carry her husband along.

Amount of money is relative, tbh. The most important thing for me would be to be with someone who has an innate sense of contentment and has simple tastes. You can make a million a month and still feel pressure to provide more if you're married to a materialistic woman.

Most marriages & families are now built on the notion of 'MONEY IS KEY'. I am not saying money is not important but how much money is KEY. cool
Money consciousness is a female thing. Children born in poor homes still love their fathers. Men with literally no job and no money still get love from their children. If a family is too money-conscious, the first person I suspect for that shallowness is the woman of the house.

PS: There's a reason why marriage in the old days was what it was. Women didn't start being this way last year, it is an innately female thing to want to pursue the materialistic. I see marriage going back to what is was in the days of our grandfathers or getting phased out eventually. This current system is totally unsustainable.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Adefemiaderoju1: 12:04pm On Feb 17, 2018
Apination:
It was never about the money, it's a simple case of character which u pointed out at the end. Marriage is between two individuals first before the families, you are married to your wife and not her family and families are not supposed to interfere in ur affairs but intervene which would be as a result of you asking for their assistance if needed. I swear, I would have sent her packing for blatantly undermining me if I were in your shoes cos it's first your decision as to how your children are to be trained based on your available means and then secondly your wife's support in bringing it to light. Comfort though is relative but such relativism is situational and your wife has no excuse as for whatever action she took which did not align with it. Your wife clearly doesn't respect u as a person but only what u can bring to the table, your marriage is simply one of convenience. undecided
I totally agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Humanistme: 12:05pm On Feb 17, 2018
Pataricatering:
the problem with you men is your ego will never let you be reasonable ! Do you make decisions according to what’s good for your ego or what’s good for your children / family ? If you are in a situation where your children can’t eat would you refuse your in laws help because you feel too big ? A lot of the meanings you read into situations must have been subjective - I know a couple where the guys father paid for a school his son could not afford because he wanted quality education for his grandkids - exactly the same thing your wife’s parents wanted to do ! I t wasn’t a big deal because it was the mans parents paying ! Why would you hinder your children’s future because of your ego ? A couple I know eventually divorced because the girl wanted to have their child or in America but the guy could not afford it - her parents decided to pay but the guy still insisted she should never t travel because he was not the one paying ! Why would you refuse your child the opportunities ty knowing how much easier being an American citizen would make his life You men feel your egos must be worshipped like how God is worshipped - just complete nonsense !

this thread is another reason why women hustle to marry up. imagine walking on eggs shells and refusing comfort for your kids just cos you don't want to hurt fragile egos.
Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Explorers(m): 12:06pm On Feb 17, 2018
Trivia:

I never thought of it in that light. But I understand you. You are right

Money is good and is good be man enough like you said, but ithink is all about family differences.

There are wealthier families out there that will accept a responsible and focused man as inlaw no matter how poor his background, maybe few though.

Connect him and establish him, living as one family.

You can only see their other side if you're hurting their daughter.

The family i married, first time i met the parent, they said 'we hate the statement in-law'

Marrying our daughter, you're our son, that's what they told me and am very proud of them. Even though i have nothing to give them now.

Some families are just like that.

Someone that respect you because of his/her gain will disrespect you when there's nothing to gain.

20 Likes

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Belafonte(m): 12:06pm On Feb 17, 2018
munas:

And who will you put as next of kin? your relatives?

I pity you...

The way your children will suffer in the event that something terrible happens to you along the line wll make you cry from the grave.

When you put your relatives there,you will be surprised to see how they will pounce on your belongings like hungry lions and leave your children out. Dont even try it

How about I have accounts in my children's names which their mother has access to and can only withdraw a certain amount every month, and then they get a trust fund they can activate when their like 25? wink

4 Likes

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by murphyibiam15(m): 12:07pm On Feb 17, 2018
Pataricatering:
the problem with you men is your ego will never let you be reasonable ! Do you make decisions according to what’s good for your ego or what’s good for your children / family ? If you are in a situation where your children can’t eat would you refuse your in laws help because you feel too big ? A lot of the meanings you read into situations must have been subjective - I know a couple where the guys father paid for a school his son could not afford because he wanted quality education for his grandkids - exactly the same thing your wife’s parents wanted to do ! I t wasn’t a big deal because it was the mans parents paying ! Why would you hinder your children’s future because of your ego ? A couple I know eventually divorced because the girl wanted to have their child or in America but the guy could not afford it - her parents decided to pay but the guy still insisted she should never t travel because he was not the one paying ! Why would you refuse your child the opportunities ty knowing how much easier being an American citizen would make his life You men feel your egos must be worshipped like how God is worshipped - just complete nonsense !
another good side of the story.. I just sent u a pm.. kindly respond
Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Agyaofficer: 12:07pm On Feb 17, 2018
Award winning thread! Bro i feel your pain because i once had a girl friend from a wealthy home. I had to let go because i will never be willing to trade my manhood for a sick relationship.
Unlike like me, you are committed- 加油 its too late to give up! More grace to you.
Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by ivolt: 12:07pm On Feb 17, 2018
The problem I see with the OP is that he expected a command and control marriage where
he issues orders that must be followed. There is nothing wrong with this mindset, however,
those with the above mindset should endeavor to marry women who they are sure will be
"submissive", which are often those whose survival depends on the husband. It is easy to
think that the challenges OP went through was because his in-laws were rich but this isn't
necessarily true.
Many parents who are way poorer than the husband still exert undue influence
in their daughter's home. A wife would seek her parent's advice when she doesn't trust
the husband and he has shown signs of being unreliable. Otherwise, most wives would
pretend everything is fine even if it is not.

The OP advised that men avoid marrying from a rich home, but I think that is an incomplete
advice. Men who don't want their ego bruised should marry below their means, so they can
exert their power with money and ensure they keep their wives dependent forever lest they "tear eye".

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by cococandy(f): 12:08pm On Feb 17, 2018
Otherwise, you would have sent those series of slaps in quick succession, enough to wipe her make-up clean off and change her phone network.
nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Belafonte(m): 12:10pm On Feb 17, 2018
Kokaine:
i am happy to see the realities of marriage laid down so bare so as to inform people like me who are almost driven by loneliness and ethics to adopt any skirt and call it a wife. behind the curtains, marriage doesnt seem to be an end to all the emotional depths a mans soul can probably sink into as my married colleagues present it to be from facebook pictures. i am presently considering the choice of a contract marriage just to have a kid because the institution as a whole appears to have been jeopardised and replaced with cupboard benefits and blue-sky expectations.

I'll be honest with you, I'm flirting with not marrying and just having children via surrogacy. I have come to understand women marry based on how much you can benefit their future materially. I'm sorry, I'm finding it really hard taking any of them seriously right now. I just can't seem to.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by ivolt: 12:11pm On Feb 17, 2018
Belafonte:

i woukd advise you to have a knowledge of wIht you stand to lose in the event of a divorce. How would you be parting with if the marriage doesn't go as planned? Also, not having a Registry wedding pits you on firmer ground in the sense that you don't have to walk on eggshells, compromising your manhood just because you don't want to lose out in a divorce.
This doesn't apply in Nigeria, registry or no registry marriage and the countries where it applies
not registering a marriage won't save you from the law.
In short, you are better off having a baby mama than getting married to an "enemy"
who you constantly have to monitor.

1 Like

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Kokaine(m): 12:11pm On Feb 17, 2018
MahatmaGhandi:

Men are not well equipt with what they need to know before marriage and are usually silent victims that end up in gallows. The story struck a hard cord and my advise to all guys is not to trust any confession of love that have not been tested and proven by adversity. Avoid the slay queens they have nothing to offer.
superb!!!

i screen grabbed this post for future references. i wish we could have a whatsapp group where issues like this are laid bare and resounded regularly by experienced people. nice words bro!

1 Like

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Belafonte(m): 12:12pm On Feb 17, 2018
Intrepid01:

You are the pefect example of the "woman-type" people have been saying every man should avoid....you really need to work on your psychic....riches and prosperity isn't a function of smartness or brilliance , therefore none is to be blamed for coming short in that regard.

Actually, you should be glad she's being honest. This is how all women think. All women. Look up the word "hypergamy". Liberate yourself and thank me later.
Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Ogaonos: 12:13pm On Feb 17, 2018
Apination:
i wil luv 2 ask op a questn.hw much investment did ur wife put in d relatnship b4 u married her?.very important because wen a lady invest in u heavy nd she a friend/lover.even tho d her rich family influencd her at sumtym.luv is always prevail because of her investment (sacrifice)she put in d relatnship.because op na naija moni go high,den go middle den go low.99% of naija couples experience it.wat mak u feel dt d moni 2morrow wil go l6w nd ur inlaw wil becum worst dan wat they did e d past.
Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by ivolt: 12:14pm On Feb 17, 2018
MahatmaGhandi:

Most men can relate to this and it is the silent reason for most seperation and most ladies see nothing wrong with it. They will openly pick their fam over you and expect you to pick them over your fam which some men can easily balance out. But then he starts getting cold cos he cannot tell his wife that he has been insulted and belittled by her fam and siblings. Hard knock life.

Most Nigerian men don't pick wives over family so do the women. Only a dumb man will be insulted and belittled
by the wife's family regardless of his financial status. What kind of familiarity would cause that rubbish?

1 Like

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Belafonte(m): 12:15pm On Feb 17, 2018
LandOwners:

You are 100% right.
No wonder she keeps mounting pressure for registry wedding first before anything.
Thanks for the piece of advice.

happy weekend to u

One more thing. Registry is for the woman's protection, thing is it leaves you unprotected. Refuse to compromise your protection for hers. She may try to blackmail you emotionally saying you'll do it if you love her, let her know she'll do what you want if she loves you.

Happy weekend to you too.
Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by ivolt: 12:16pm On Feb 17, 2018
Intrepid01:

They have nothing to fear so long as they are not marrying above their reach.
Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by cococandy(f): 12:17pm On Feb 17, 2018
Thank you
Pataricatering:
Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Belafonte(m): 12:18pm On Feb 17, 2018
ivolt:

This doesn't apply in Nigeria, registry or no registry marriage and the countries where it applies
not registering a marriage won't save you from the law.
In short, you are better off having a baby mama than getting married to an "enemy"
who you constantly have to monitor.

Baby mama it is then.

1 Like

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Protein0: 12:18pm On Feb 17, 2018
This is one of the best thread in recent times. Thank you op for availing us the opportunity to learn from ur experience. May God continue to strengthen ur home kiss
Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Onyenna(m): 12:19pm On Feb 17, 2018
Character is likely the issue and not money... The Lady in question is finding it so difficult to adjust....

I pray your pocket keeps enlarging and i also pray your wife understands she needs to adjust and adapt to her new home...

She should enjoy it when the going is great and also support you 100% when things ain't that smooth... She should learn to keep things within the family and only run to her parents for help IF and only IF you grant her permission to do so.....

.....Your wife's parents are a problem only because your wife finds it difficult to adjust/adapt....

*****Disclaimer:: I'm not in any way saying MONEY ain't important oooh*****

@Trivia, this thread is a massive eye-opener for me... Thanks for sharing.....

2 Likes

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Viking007(m): 12:22pm On Feb 17, 2018
Trivia:

Nigerian marriages have become marriage between families. It is difficult to divorce your nuclear family from the extended especially when you live in the same state, and your spouse cannot drink or eat without contacting the parents. How the other spouse deals with that is rocket science.

Sending her packing is exactly what her parents hoped I would do. In the end, na me go lose, with my kids in their house and my wife under their roof, I would be the bad guy. As a matter of fact, parents have one way or the other been instrumental in many broken homes. These ones believed I couldn't cater for their daughter as much as they wanted. Funny thing is, they also were struggling at the beginning years of their marriage. But now, are quick to despise days of little beginnings.

You cannot underplay the part of money in getting your wife's respect, and her family. It is very essential. Else you will be as good as that guy who is just living with their daughter, calling himself her husband. I can tell you, the respect has changed massively now. Im not saying other things are not involved o. I wish I could tell you more here. But take it from me. Money is very key. A husband should never lack it

On the part of marriage of convenience, I strongly disagree. It was simply love and compatibility. I think I mentioned that earlier.
I am literally staring at my pc and giving you a round of applause. So much wisdom!

2 Likes

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by MahatmaGhandi: 12:23pm On Feb 17, 2018
ivolt:
The problem I see with the OP is that he expected a command and control marriage where
he issues orders that must be followed. There is nothing wrong with this mindset, however,
those with the above mindset should endeavor to marry women who they are sure will be
"submissive", which are often those whose survival depends on the husband. It is easy to
think that the challenges OP went through was because his in-laws were rich but this isn't
necessarily true.
Many parents who are way poorer than the husband still exert undue influence
in their daughter's home. A wife would seek her parent's advice when she doesn't trust
the husband and he has shown signs of being unreliable. Otherwise, most wives would
pretend everything is fine even if it is not.

The OP advised that men avoid marrying from a rich home, but I think that is an incomplete
advice. Men who don't want their ego bruised should marry below their means, so they can
exert their power with money and ensure they keep their wives dependent forever lest they "tear eye".

I disagree, it has nothing to do with him being an egotistic dictator, did you read about the attitude during visits. His kids were not out of school all he wanted was live within his means and there is nothing wrong with that. A man is the head of his home and should be able to make key decisions on the direction of his family. A woman should not marry a man in whose leadership skills she does not believe.

11 Likes

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Daeylar(f): 12:26pm On Feb 17, 2018
cococandy:
nonsense
Serious nonsense.
Why do some men even feel as if it's right for them to even think about slapping or beating their wives just because the wife says or does something they don't like.?

2 Likes

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Intrepid01(m): 12:27pm On Feb 17, 2018
Belafonte:

Actually, you should be glad she's being honest. This is how all women think. All women. Look up the word "hypergamy". Liberate yourself and thank me later.

Hmmm..Nigerians and their unfounded statistical figures...All woman don't think like this...I've met and I know women who do t reason like this at all....My Cousin's husband ....from his own mouth, told me how his FIL (who was notably rich) told him I have no expectation for you, told him he never started from the top too and my Cousin was a type of woman sent to him from heaven....he told me all this with his own mouth.

The fact that we now have more ladies who do not have believe marriage values anymore or have faulty perception about marriage doesn't make it a general case.....The problem we all seem to be addressing from different angles; be it politics, marriage, religion etc...is the fast evading "Family Value" that is built on morality, loyalty, God's submission rather than societal dictate.

2 Likes

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by Psoul(m): 12:28pm On Feb 17, 2018
"I have discovered that love doesn't guarantee the success of a relationship. Love cannot help you stick to one person all year round, and on the other hand, cheating isn't always a product of not loving your partner.

In fact, loving someone doesn't guarantee not falling in love with someone else. Relationships work out mostly because of our heads not our hearts.

It works out because of our emotional maturity, empathetic intelligence and self discipline; because, time will come when you'll see more beautiful, handsome, romantic, intelligent, sexy, rich, curvy and God fearing people than the one you're in a relationship with.

In those times, love will not help you. Self control will help you. Emotional intelligence will come to your rescue and commitment will keep you going.

With those characteristics, no matter how you feel for someone else, the person you're committed to will rank first in your life.

You think happily married people don't see better people than the ones they married to? You think they don't feel funny sometimes? You think they don't catch feelings? They do!

But understanding that commitment is greater than feelings and it is the great arsenal that destroys those unhelpful impulses.

You can fall in love with anyone, but building a relationship takes absolutely more than what attracted you to them and takes more than love.

We are too fond of loving when it's convenient and sweet. We are too fond of loving when love is there; but that can only last for just the first 3 - 6 months of the relationship in many cases.

After then, you'll realise that the feelings have dropped and it's now your responsibility to make the relationship work, not love's responsibility.

Relationships cannot be readymade. You have to build it and it's never always about love, it requires commitment and intelligence.

On the long run in marriages, it's not just love that keeps them together forever, it's determination and commitment.

Everyone falls in love; it takes little or no effort to do that. But staying in love? Building a relationship? Only the strong and committed ones do that.

That's why we must find that one person and commit to that one, discipline yourself and bridle your emotions.

Building a relationship is hard work, it's like building a career, It's like pursuing a dream.

It's always tough. At some point it will be so bitter but you can make it work by putting your heads together. You can scale through the trying times by staying focused and committed.

The kind of love that attracts two people together is not the kind of love that will keep them together. Be emotionally strong, be self disciplined and above all, have the God factor that will give you the grace needed to reign you in.

God Bless.

27 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by menxer: 12:35pm On Feb 17, 2018
Since you can’t react, you swallow your anger and put your foot down, albeit tenderly.

Just imagining this scenario cracks me up!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family by janey1984: 12:35pm On Feb 17, 2018
Bottom line pray to marry a woman who is really ready for marriage and home building . forget slay queen. God bless you
Jman06:
Bottom line is, marry from good homes. Homes of learned and morally sound parents. Not the kind of homes where the mother is living separately in one location while the father is living somewhere else. Also avoid the homes of "money-miss-roads" with zero education but bags of money. Those are usually the type of people who don't consider other people beyond how much they have in the bank.
The best thing in life is having both money and wisdom to make unbiased judgements about life generally.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Why I Wanted To Kill My Husband – Mrs. Dede (Graphic Photo) / Photo Of The Day: Father & 5 Children On A Suicide Mission / I Love My Wife & My Kid, But I Want To Leave The Marriage. Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.