Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,950 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Roger Federer Returns To World No1 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Roger Federer Returns To World No1 (624 Views)

The 15 Most Popular Athletes Of All Time Ft, Messi, Ronaldo, Bolt, Federer & Ali / Roger Federer Tops Rafael Nadal In Wimbledon Semifinals / Roger Federer Wins 100th ATP Tour Singles Title (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Roger Federer Returns To World No1 by freshkpomo(m): 10:49pm On Feb 16, 2018
Roger Federer says becoming the oldest world number one in tennis history - 14 years after he first topped the rankings - is a "dream come true". The 36-year-old beat Robin Haase 4-6 6-1 6-1 in the last eight of the Rotterdam Open to replace Rafael Nadal, 31, at the top of the standings. Federer surpassed eight-time Grand Slam winner Andre Agassi, who was 33 when he was deposed in September 2003. "This one means the most at 36 years of age, almost 37," the Swiss said. "When you're older you have to work double the amount. You have to wrestle it back from someone who's worked hard to get there. "Reaching number one is the ultimate achievement in tennis. It's been an amazing journey and to clinch it here, where I got my first wildcard in 1998, means so much." Federer's hopes of reaching the semi-finals in the Netherlands looked slim when he lost the first set, but he dropped just two further games to set up a tie with Italian Andreas Seppi or Russia's Daniil Medvedev. At the end of the match, the 20-time Grand Slam champion sat down and wiped away tears, before returning to the court to take the acclaim from the crowd and receive a trophy for his achievement. He first became world number one in February 2004, but has not topped the rankings since October 2012 and slipped to a low of 17th in January 2017. That was after he spent six months out recovering from an operation on a knee problem. However, he has since won eight titles, including Wimbledon last year and two Australian Opens.
Re: Roger Federer Returns To World No1 by freshkpomo(m): 10:50pm On Feb 16, 2018
Re: Roger Federer Returns To World No1 by eTECTIVe(m): 11:06pm On Feb 16, 2018
FedExpress jus gets beta with age, jus like wine.. He's arguably d greatest sportsman ever.. His humility is extraordinary.. No homo but he's d only guy I'm crushing on
Re: Roger Federer Returns To World No1 by freshkpomo(m): 11:10pm On Feb 16, 2018
eTECTIVe:
FedExpress jus gets beta with age, jus like wine.. He's arguably d greatest sportsman ever.. His humility is extraordinary.. No homo but he's d only guy I'm crushing on
yea, i was actually upset with him when he lost his place...but am glad my favourite tennis player is back!
Re: Roger Federer Returns To World No1 by eTECTIVe(m): 11:12pm On Feb 16, 2018
freshkpomo:
yea, i was actually upset with him when he lost his place...but am glad my favourite tennis player is back!

Injuries plus age but he's been able to reinvent himself and stay healthy nd injury free by knowing wen to rest and wat tournaments to play... I see him retiring at d end of d year.. He only wanted to get back to number 1 for d records
Re: Roger Federer Returns To World No1 by EtzEkeyz(m): 11:19pm On Feb 16, 2018
I am really happy for him but i can't believe Nadal Rafeal was defeated.....I still love Nadal anyway but i am really happy for Roger.....never give up. It is never about age.....It is about focus, passion, determination and destiny. "what the heart of man can conceive and believe, that it can achieve'"
https://www.notedwap.com/2018/02/how-to-watch-2018-winter-olympics.html
Re: Roger Federer Returns To World No1 by freshkpomo(m): 6:50am On Feb 17, 2018
eTECTIVe:

Injuries plus age but he's been able to reinvent himself and stay healthy nd injury free by knowing wen to rest and wat tournaments to play... I see him retiring at d end of d year.. He only wanted to get back to number 1 for d records
i wish people like Federer and Messi could remain in the game forever
Re: Roger Federer Returns To World No1 by eTECTIVe(m): 6:55am On Feb 17, 2018
freshkpomo:
i wish people like Federer and Messi could remain in the game forever

Dey appear once in a lifetime so jus enjoy dem while dey are here

1 Like

Re: Roger Federer Returns To World No1 by freshkpomo(m): 2:46pm On Feb 17, 2018
eTECTIVe:

Dey appear once in a lifetime so jus enjoy dem while dey are here
you've said it all Sir

(1) (Reply)

UCL Q/finals: Liverpool Draw Man City, Juve To Face Real; Barca Vs Roma / Ribery Signs Bayern Extension Until 2019 / Best Football Betting Site Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.