Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,070 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:57 PM

Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State (5566 Views)

Please Help Ring Worm Eating My Leg For Two Years Now / HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS / Ebola: Nigerian Research Firm Submits Sample Drugs To FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by aloyemeka2: 11:10pm On Apr 22, 2010
For 3,000 children, it’s goodbye to worms, courtesy of Youth Corps member
By Gabriel Enogholase
Thursday, April 22, 2010

Benin – FOR Chimaobi Martins Kanu, a youth corps medical doctor posted to serve his father land at Ubiaja the administrative headquarters of Esan South-East Local Government Area of Edo State, his passion to reach the unreached medically and add value to humanity was fulfilled recently when he provided drugs for the de-worming of over 3000 children in Ubiaja and its environs. Children from seven of the 12 primary schools from the locality took part in the exercise.

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2010/apr/22/vanguard/images/donateddrugs[1].jpg[/img]
Some of the drugs donated by Kanu

Speaking with Vanguard Metro shortly after the exercise, Dr. Kanu who studied Medicine at Abia State University and hails from Ovim, Isikwator Local Government Area of Abia State, revealed that his prayers before he was posted to the town of Ubiaja was not to serve his father land in big cities like Benin but in rural communities where he can touch people in the grassroots.

“From the onset, I never wanted to serve in big cities. My dream was to serve in the rural areas. My passion has been to reach the unreached medically and with the gospel of Jesus Christ. So, my advice to fellow corps members posted to rural communities is that they should never reject such postings because it is a privilege from God to do so,” he said.

He disclosed that his visit to the Nigeria Prisons Service in Ubiaja to provide free eye treatments to over 140 inmates was an eye opener to him on what most Nigerian inmates behind the prisons wall were going through. “I discovered that most of them were malnourished and were afflicted with all kinds of diseases. Those with eye problems complained that their confinement behind the prison bar for over six months has contributed to their bad eye sight. I also discovered that the inmates were medically unreached.

“From this experience, I decided that part of my project work is to reach out to children from five to 12 years in the locality and de-worm them. Even, during the de-worming exercise, children who were 12 years and above were there and were de-wormed once in their lives. Our health care delivery system in this part of the world seems to be concentrated on preventive cure only. Most of the diseases afflicting children would have been prevented if these children were de-wormed at least two or three times annually,” he said.

Asked how he was able to finance the purchase of the drugs, Dr. Kanu was full of appreciation to Juhel Pharmaceutical Company based in Enugu State for donating 1000 doses of the drugs while he purchased the remaining drugs with donations from friends and relatives just as he put the total cost of the de-worming exercise at about N200, 000. He, however, advised his fellow corps members planning to embark on projects that would be of benefit to humanity not to depend totally on local and state governments. They should source for funds elsewhere as posterity will speak for them, he said.

On how the objectives of the Federal Government primary healthcare system can be realised, he called on the government and donor agencies to use grassroots mobilisers to channel the drugs to rural communities, saying that the present system of dispensing the drugs precludes the rural communities from benefitting from the programme.

Speaking at the ceremony, the Secretary to the Esan South Local Government Council, Mr. Destiny Aimiebenomon who represented the chairman, Prince Andrew Ojiemenkele, expressed delight at the initiative of Dr. Kanu in the de-worming of the children, saying that the council provided him with local support to enable the children who will make use of the infrastructures provided by the government at the primary schools to be healthy and of sound mind.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/apr/22/312.html
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by texazzpete(m): 12:17am On Apr 23, 2010
It is not the duty of the Edo State Government to provide free healthcare to all its citizens. And there's nothing stopping you from doing what this guy did.

Funny how you refer to him as a 'common corper'. Do i remind you that a youth corps member is by default an adult and a graduate? So what's 'common' about him?
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by Ndipe(m): 12:29am On Apr 23, 2010
texazzpete:

It is not the duty of the Edo State Government to provide free healthcare to all its citizens. And there's nothing stopping you from doing what this guy did.

Funny how you refer to him as a 'common corper'. Do i remind you that a youth corps member is by default an adult and a graduate? So what's 'common' about him?

Whose duty is it then?
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by AloyEmeka5: 3:41am On Apr 23, 2010
Don't mind the bugger. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by texazzpete(m): 7:35am On Apr 23, 2010
Ndipe:

Whose duty is it then?

You tell me. How many countries in the world provide free healthcare to all their citizens?
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by Nobody: 7:38am On Apr 23, 2010
texazzpete:

Have you read the constitution or you don't know how to read?
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by texazzpete(m): 9:23am On Apr 23, 2010
9jaganja:

Have you read the constitution or you don't know how to read?

I was reading 200+ page Novels when you were still quaffing mummy's milk. And your point is, ?
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by bibiking1(m): 9:45am On Apr 23, 2010
texazzpete:

I was reading 200+ page Novels when you were still quaffing mummy's milk. And your point is, ?

Easy bruv
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by byns: 9:50am On Apr 23, 2010
this is wonderfu/commendable!-Dr Kanu a chieftaincy title awaits plus any of the lovely princesses for your perusal.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by texazzpete(m): 10:00am On Apr 23, 2010
bibiking1:

Easy bruv

I'm trying, bro grin
The herd mentality on Nairaland is to blame EVERYTHING on the government. The youth corps member did an excellent deed (and he should be richly rewarded) but the 'Shame on the Govt' part is not neccessary IMHO.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by AloyEmeka5: 11:14am On Apr 23, 2010
The constitution requires the govt to provide free standard healthcare, electricity and roads to Nigerians besides, the may not pay for it but let them pave the way for a more affordable care.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by bilymuse: 11:26am On Apr 23, 2010
this is wonderfu/commendable!-Dr Kanu a chieftaincy title awaits plus any of the lovely princesses for your perusal.

I seriously concur, may Dr. Kanu live longer than metusela.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by texazzpete(m): 11:53am On Apr 23, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

The constitution requires the govt to provide free standard healthcare, electricity and roads to Nigerians besides, the may not pay for it but let them pave the way for a more affordable care.

Oya, show me where it said all that in the constitution.
Please edit your post quickly so the whole world cannot see you claiming that the constitution guarantees all Nigerians free electricity. grin

Back on topic, kudos to Dr. Kanu. I wish we had a whole lot more people like him.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by solo1: 11:58am On Apr 23, 2010
Shamefully Ubiaja is the home town of Senator Ugbesia representing Edo central,the god son of Chief Anenih.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by Nobody: 7:09pm On Apr 23, 2010
texazzpete:

texazzpete:

I was writting 1000 page research work while your backside is still seeking admission dumb mofo. You'll qualify for a bimbo. And you are Nigerian? You don't even know your constitutional right. Illiterates like you are the reasons government get away with corruption and human right abuses. It is there in the constitution go and read it and stop displaying your ignorance here.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by Dimka76(m): 7:21pm On Apr 23, 2010
Did Ubiaja people tell the corper worms were their problem? Abeg E!
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by Dimka76(m): 7:24pm On Apr 23, 2010
I just hope they are not using the kids as guinea pigs again. Trovan & all.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by Dimka76(m): 7:25pm On Apr 23, 2010
By the way, what do u mean by ''eradicate?''
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by texazzpete(m): 11:24pm On Apr 23, 2010
9jaganja:

I was writting 1000 page research work while your backside is still seeking admission dumb mofo. You'll qualify for a bimbo. And you are Nigerian? You don't even know your constitutional right. Illiterates like you are the reasons government get away with corruption and human right abuses. It is there in the constitution go and read it and stop displaying your ignorance here.

Don't be such a whiny child.
Now, run along, will you? Adults are discussing important things here.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by spoilt(f): 11:29pm On Apr 23, 2010
Kudos to the corper for doing good. we dont always have to wait for the Govt. America has come this far based on people's personal sweat, volunteer work and individual passion in addition to Govt efforts.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by AloyEmeka5: 11:39pm On Apr 23, 2010
Dimka 76:

grin grin grin grin
So what's their major problem?. Do you know why worms are prevalent there in the first place?  grin grin grin
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by Nobody: 11:58pm On Apr 23, 2010
texazzpete:

Don't be such a whiny child.
Now, run along, will you? Adults are discussing important things here.

Please!! You talk about games you haven't played now you talk about constitution you haven't read. What else are you going to talk about? girls you don't have a chance with, cars you will never buy what else. Retardo!! Go away!!!
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by Ikengawo: 12:58am On Apr 24, 2010
why is it a shame on the government for a nigerian to cure his fellow man?
what the hell? you people are retarded.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by texazzpete(m): 10:46am On Apr 24, 2010
9jaganja:

Please!! You talk about games you haven't played now you talk about constitution you haven't read. What else are you going to talk about? girls you don't have a chance with, cars you will never buy what else. Retardo!! Go away!!!

It's called 'education', you dunce.
Stop taking the coward's way out. Provide the section of the Nigerian constitution where it says the Government is mandated to provide free healthcare to all.
This is why i consider you a child - you cannot even see that the onus is upon you to provide the proof.

9jaganja:

girls you don't have a chance with

I'm married, sorry. When you grow up, you'll probably marry too. Now run along and stop insulting your betters.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by olybaby50(m): 10:47am On Apr 25, 2010
Some of you guyz never seems to amaze me. You argue on unnessesary issues. Why don't you just contribute and lets learn from it. Can someone tell me why the hostility against each other. My question is. IS NAIRALAND A WAR ZONE OR FOR FRUSTRATED PEOPLE? undecided
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by AloyEmeka5: 11:44am On Apr 25, 2010
olybaby50:

Some of you guyz never seems to amaze me. You argue on unnessesary issues. Why don't you just contribute and lets learn from it. Can someone tell me why the hostility against each other. My question is. IS NAIRALAND A WAR ZONE OR FOR FRUSTRATED PEOPLE? undecided

It looks like it is.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by ziga: 1:39pm On Apr 25, 2010
Great initiative by the doctor.

But honestly, i don't think it will achieve much.

The children who currently have worms will be cured, but when they go back to their polluted source of water, when they continue with unhygienic ways, poor disposal of sewage, they will become reinfected. And all the money used to procure the drugs will have gone to waste.

Diseases need to be tackled at their source. We need people with the doctor's heart to be in positions where policies regarding sanitation and clean water can be implemented.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by Nobody: 8:13pm On Apr 25, 2010
@op
What is the connection between your story and last part of  the title of your thread which is a blanket condemnation of government officials.
Is it the duty of Edo State Government to come up with new drugs or to provide free health care to all residents? I am not aware that there is such a system in place.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 25, 2010
[/quote][quote author=Aloy+Emeka link=topic=435402.msg5940279#msg5940279 date=1272017643]
The constitution requires the govt to provide free standard healthcare, electricity and roads to Nigerians besides,

The Nigerian constitution in fact makes no such provision. Perhaps you are referring to the constitution of a communist country.
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by Cohomology: 9:04pm On Apr 25, 2010
texazzpete:

This must be the most idiotic, most foolish reply ever made on Nairaland. Infinite stupidity in all its ugliness!
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by Cohomology: 9:07pm On Apr 25, 2010
Dimka 76:

Oh God! Another rambling idiot with the brain of a wasp.

God in heaven, why did you make so many Nigerians so so so annoyingly stupid? Why God?
Re: Youth Corper Donates Drugs to reduce worm-related Infections In Edo State by AloyEmeka5: 9:12pm On Apr 25, 2010
Cohomology:

Oh God! Another rambling idiot with the brain of a wasp.

God in heaven, why did you make so many Nigerians so so so annoyingly silly? Why God?

LMBAO grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do We Fart After We Drink Chocolate Beverages? / Causes And Way To Handle Eczema(ifo) / Weaning Tips For Breastfeeding Mothers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.