Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,924 members, 7,835,090 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

Poetry: Onile Gogoro (an Ode To The Skyscraper) - Rotimi Daramola - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poetry: Onile Gogoro (an Ode To The Skyscraper) - Rotimi Daramola (578 Views)

Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle / Ola Rotimi's 82nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Ode To Independence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Poetry: Onile Gogoro (an Ode To The Skyscraper) - Rotimi Daramola by RothmasPop: 11:17am On Feb 19, 2018
Throw me back to the 60s

When Roy Chicago and his rhythm dandies ridiculed you

You were in vogue like unclothedness is today

Your reign marked the opening era for the then fashion enthusiast

You were the Brazilian hair of that age

A hair-do that symbolized affluence

At a time my young country was just socially evolving

You stood as the identification figure for the ariya nation

Your mound high on the head of your carrier like a clutter of poles

Standing tall like a dawn erection

Each time I see you

On my grandmother’s head, inside her antique collection folder

I imagine how much buzz you’d garnered back then

Just like your descendants are doing now

Let’s hope your sequels would look as symbolic as you were then

Our beloved skyscraper

- Rotimi Daramola

Originally published on https://penastory.com/2016/01/14/onile-gogoro-skyscraper/

Re: Poetry: Onile Gogoro (an Ode To The Skyscraper) - Rotimi Daramola by StarOnEarth(m): 7:54pm On Feb 19, 2018
Chai all this for kiko.
Really nice

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Let Read This Togeter /...title Is The Honeymoon Episode 1 / My Memoir: 18 Months In Passing / In My University.....We Pay 1million As School Fees.am not lying o

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.