Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) (51672 Views)

Bbnaija: So Laycon Featured Chinko Ekun, Reminisce In Fierce (video) / Igbo Isi-Agu Featured In "Black Panther" Movie / The 11 Times Marvel's "Black Panther" Depicted African Culture Perfectly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by chuksvoice: 9:57pm On Feb 19, 2018
Widely acclaimed superhero movie by Marvel, Black Panther featured several African cultures and the tribes in the region.

From the body arts to the fashion pieces, Pulse brings to you 11 African tribes, cultures featured in Black Panther.

(1) Mursi and Surma Lip Plates[b][/b]

Lip plates or disks are a form of ceremonial body modification that was used in the movie, Black Panther. They're best known by the Surma and Mursi tribes in Ethiopia.

Source - https://www.tori.ng/news/88884/black-panther-see-the-11-african-tribes-cultures-f.html

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by chuksvoice: 10:40pm On Feb 19, 2018
(2) Zulu headdress

Queen Ramonda played by Angela Basset in the movie, Black Panther, wears the Zulu headdress. It's reminiscent of the reed Zulu flared hats or "Isicholos." in South Africa.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by badbros(m): 10:42pm On Feb 19, 2018
Wey the rest na
Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by chuksvoice: 10:47pm On Feb 19, 2018
(3) Massai costumes

The Massai community was represented in the Black Panther movie. Many of the costumes have unique and futuristic ornamentation and details. The Maasai people of East Africa live in southern Kenya and northern Tanzania.

21 Likes

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by chuksvoice: 11:32pm On Feb 19, 2018
(4) Igbo Mask

The Igbo masks known as Mgbedike was worn by Erik Killmonger in a scene in the movie, Black Panther. The Mgbedike are distinguished by the large size and bold masculine features. They are used in Igbo rituals and are designed to contrast the female dancers with their more feminine beauty.

284 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by chuksvoice: 11:36pm On Feb 19, 2018
(5) Basotho Blanket

W'Kabi played by Daniel Kaluuya and others in several scenes from the movie, Black Panther, adorned Basotho blankets around their necks. Though the blankets are originally from the Lesotho people.

23 Likes

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by BiGVEEN58(m): 12:30am On Feb 20, 2018
Nice one.

But I know say them go package all the tribes and culture lose their originality. cheesy

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by MJBOLT: 6:24am On Feb 20, 2018
and one idiot said there is nothing about africa in this movie undecided

9 Likes

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by chuksvoice: 6:44am On Feb 20, 2018
(6) Ndebele Neck Rings

The Ndebele neck rings were adorned by Shuri and Dora Milaje. The two have outfits with a prominent collar. The South Ndebele peoples of Zimbabwe/South Africa wear neck rings as part of their traditional dress.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by chuksvoice: 6:45am On Feb 20, 2018
(7) Otjize

Many of the costumes worn in the movie have a distinctive red earthy tone. This was done in recognition of the colors used by the Himba people of north-western Namibia. Himba people are known for applying a red ochre paste, known as "otjize", to their skin and hair.

18 Likes

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by chuksvoice: 6:47am On Feb 20, 2018
( 8 ) Agbada

Shaman Zuri played by Forest Whittaker wears ornate flowing robes known as an Agbada. It's one of the names for a flowing wide-sleeved robe worn by men/women in much of West Africa, and North Africa.

77 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by chuksvoice: 6:50am On Feb 20, 2018
(9) Dogon masks

The Dogon mask were brought into the movie, Black Panther. There was a lot of inspiration taken from the Dogon people. They live in the central plateau region of Mali, in West Africa.

18 Likes

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by chuksvoice: 6:53am On Feb 20, 2018
(10)-Tuareg scarfs

Many of the characters in the movie, Black Panther, wore large scarves covering their head and face. The scarfs are similar to the ones worn by the Tuareg people. The Tuareg people inhabit an area in North and West Africa.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by chuksvoice: 6:58am On Feb 20, 2018
(11) Turkana fashion sense

The Turkana people in Kenya had their fashion sense brought into the movie. Other tribes of sartorial inspiration were featured.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by fecta: 8:17am On Feb 20, 2018
Nice movie
Modified
Emma just called me to tell me that the post I commented on since last week just made FP.

I dedicate this FTC to my future children, I will spoil them with all the good things of life, all the things I missed in my childhood will be given to them times 10 and I will make sure I marry a good wife and mother so that they won't have a divorced parent.

BTW
Things I like about the movie
*their accent
*not making Africa look like a poor country God forgot.
*the starting scene where black panther beat up Boko Haram in sambisa forest.
*Good story
*the villain
*the ending scene when kilmagore watched the sunset that his father promised
The list goes on.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by emekavictoreze(m): 9:16am On Mar 04, 2018
Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by ThierryJay: 11:59am On Mar 04, 2018
Nice that they adopted cultural themes from all parts of Africa. I think thats the essence of Wakanda, to represent the promising future of Africa as a whole, without losing the essence of its historical past.

Best movie so far in 2018!

emekavictoreze, lalasticlala, front page pls

69 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by Davash222(m): 5:54pm On Mar 04, 2018
chuksvoice:
(4) Igbo Mask

The Igbo masks known as Mgbedike was worn by Erik Killmonger in a scene in the movie, Black Panther. The Mgbedike are distinguished by the large size and bold masculine features. They are used in Igbo rituals and are designed to contrast the female dancers with their more feminine beauty.
IGBO amaka bikonu

214 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 5:55pm On Mar 04, 2018
you can check out the article I wrote about Nigeria and Wakanda here
https://www.nairaland.com/4375724/nigeria-wakanda-could-been

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by Tolu95(m): 5:56pm On Mar 04, 2018
nice
Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by NwaAmaikpe: 5:57pm On Mar 04, 2018
shocked

It's incomplete.
They left out the famous Fulani herdsmen.

130 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by Emmysteve(m): 5:57pm On Mar 04, 2018
Black panther
Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by somez(m): 5:57pm On Mar 04, 2018
Igbo Amaka

70 Likes

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by omofranyoung(m): 5:57pm On Mar 04, 2018
Nice move...more to come

1 Like

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by iluvpomo(m): 5:57pm On Mar 04, 2018
Was an entertaining movie ... has made $700M (N250 billion) so far in ticket sales shocked

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by wellmax(m): 5:57pm On Mar 04, 2018
Cool.

1 Like

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by ClintonNzedimma(m): 5:57pm On Mar 04, 2018
Nice
Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by ednut1(m): 5:57pm On Mar 04, 2018
Killmonger doesnt look like a bad guy to me. He was right jor

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by Nobody: 5:58pm On Mar 04, 2018

‘Agbada’ is a Yoruba word.

The design is similar across groups who wear them but each group has a peculiarity to the design local to it - the type worn in the movie will determine what part of West Africa the design was taken from and what name it should be referred to here.

On the side, Forest Whitaker is of Igbo ancestry.

33 Likes

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by Pedrocross4568(m): 5:58pm On Mar 04, 2018
Great movie. A must see by all

1 Like

Re: Black Panther: The 11 African Tribes, Cultures Featured (photos) by lonlytroy(m): 5:58pm On Mar 04, 2018
Where can i download the movie

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

7 Scariest Nollywood Movies Of All Times / Nigerians React As Tboss Is Evicted From Big Brother Naija House (screenshots) / Mercy Blasts Ike: “You Didn’t Make It In America, You Think You Can In Nigeria”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.