Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,237 members, 7,825,919 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? (21426 Views)

See Condition A Debtor Gave A Man On Paying Back The Money He Owned Him (pics) / How Do I Recover My Money From A Debtor ? / Debtor Strips Unclad To Avoid Paying Up After Running Into The Lady He Was Owing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by Fourwinds: 11:10am On Feb 20, 2018
aezenkwu:
Op I suggest you look closely the church he or she attends. From thereby can get your money sharp sharp.

Bro! If he or she is a Catholic try finding out the society he or she is in the church., go to the day of there meetings report the debtor.

If he or she is a Pentecostant go their church the dah they have their own program which you know he or she will attend report him to his pastor. They will call him and ask him to repay u back.

This one worked for me, I went to his church program and the pastor said testimony time and k came out and testified that God made it possible for me to be here and one of the members is owing me. After mass they called closely and ask how much it is and I said 300 k the pastor and he's congregations paid me sharply in 5days. I don't care oh
nice one....OP take note of this

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by Fourwinds: 11:12am On Feb 20, 2018
Ucheamani:
A pastor owed me and refused to pay. I took police to arrest him on his wedding morning, he paid me 100% and settled police

Another person was owing me, I took some boys to his wedding reception. When the envelopes started pouring in, I whispered to him that I need my money here and now. He called his best man aside who took the envelopes behind the scene, counted and informed him the money is not yet enough, he begged me to wait so after a while, I asked again, this time the money was complete so be paid me.
I was so happy so I enveloped some money and gave him as wedding gift then left.
The wife got worried and asked the groom what's the matter, he politely told her I'm his good friend and was just sharing an observation with him.
hmmmmm....that is if the person is marrying soon.
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by southome(m): 11:12am On Feb 20, 2018
handsomeyinka:
You only need 4 things to get your money back.
Go to the debtors house with a gun and an ARMY, MOPO AND SARS..
You will receive your refund within 5 working days,

And how much will you pay Army, Mopol and Sars from the money? What will remain?
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by handsomeyinka(m): 11:14am On Feb 20, 2018
Fourwinds:
Oboy you wicked oooooo
Lol...
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by handsomeyinka(m): 11:15am On Feb 20, 2018
southome:

And how much will you pay Army, Mopol and Sars from the money? What will remain?
It will be billed to the debtor...lol.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by Fxwarrior: 11:19am On Feb 20, 2018
handsomeyinka:
You only need 4 things to get your money back.
Go to the debtors house with a gun and an ARMY, MOPO AND SARS..
You will receive your refund within 5 working days,

Depends on amount involved.
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by Fourwinds: 11:24am On Feb 20, 2018
kinkybunny:

you remember aluu 4
if those Aluu 4had taken army officers or SARS to their debtors house do you think happened would have taken place? can you mob five army officers with guns or a team of SARS?
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by Igba123: 11:25am On Feb 20, 2018
i forgave them. By the way I don't lend what I can't forfeit before one dies of high bp.
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by Unbreakable007: 11:38am On Feb 20, 2018
kill d person. that's all.
bin alive he will nt pay.
die he will still no pay u.
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by histemple: 1:10pm On Feb 20, 2018
3millionia:

At the bolded, i said he tells the soldier not to touch the guy, The soldier just would interrogate the debtor and seriously caution him to pay up his debt.

This always work for me

I understand and it will continue to work for you as long as it involves people who don't know what to do with the law.

I will still advice you to stop lending money to friends. It saves you a lot of stress.

If you must recover your debts please go about it legally.
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by Partnerbiz(f): 4:00pm On Feb 20, 2018
histemple:

Your comment is even the funniest. More so, it could mislead others about the laws of the land.

First, a debtor is not a criminal and can not be arrested or invited by the police. The police is not empowered by the law to investigate or handle civil matters. Although some overzealous police officers do dabble into civil matters and go free because most of such people are either illiterates or ignorant of their rights.

Secondly, if this person became a debtor because you lent him/her the money, then you may even go to jail if you don't have the "Money Lenders License" that empowers you to lend money.

Now, do not mistake the exceptions. For example if somebody is owing you because you paid for goods and he failed to supply the goods but instead promised to return the money, the police will treat it as a criminal case of Obtaining By Tricks (OBT).

But if somebody is owing you because you completed a contract and he refused to pay for the work done, you can only sue him even for damages, provided you have documents to justify such claims.

If I lend you 100k to pay back 100k later, I am not a money lender... Money must be lent in expectation of interest or larger sum for one to be a money lender.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by Partnerbiz(f): 4:03pm On Feb 20, 2018
Phillfree:
A man was owing me 250k, whenever I call he will ask me to just hold on for a while. It continued this way for 6 months and I never gave up. He actually got tired of me because it got to a point I started going to his office and house thrice a week. So finally, he issued me a cheque of 250k. I happily left for the bank only to discover his account had just 200k. I quickly paid 50k into his account and withdrew my 250k. Immediately he got the alert he called me that he is sorry, he just remembered he has less than 250k.

Just go ahead disturbing the debtor, no give am breathing space. He will soon get tired of you and will want to have rest.

So who gave you his EXACT account balance? I am sure no bank will disclose that
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by histemple: 5:29pm On Feb 20, 2018
Partnerbiz:

If I lend you 100k to pay back 100k later, I am not a money lender... Money must be lent in expectation of interest or larger sum for one to be a money lender.

No Sir,

You can engage in non-interest lending just as some banks give our ono-interest loans. The law allows you to reduce the interest rate but you can't exceed the maximum interest rate contained in your license. You can Google up the money lenders Act.

Basically, the license is what authorizes you to lend. Without the license, you can only assist people who are in need. Only the banks and authorized money lenders are expected to lend money and expect it back with or without interest.

If you take a person to court because you lent them money, the court will strike out the case if you don't have license. The law also says you must forfeit the money.

Please just tried to read the money lenders Act at your spare time.
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by Partnerbiz(f): 6:06pm On Feb 20, 2018
histemple:

No Sir,

You can engage in non-interest lending just as some banks give our ono-interest loans. The law allows you to reduce the interest rate but you can't exceed the maximum interest rate contained in your license. You can Google up the money lenders Act.

Basically, the license is what authorizes you to lend. Without the license, you can only assist people who are in need. Only the banks and authorized money lenders are expected to lend money and expect it back with or without interest.

If you take a person to court because you lent them money, the court will strike out the case if you don't have license. The law also says you must forfeit the money.

Please just tried to read the money lenders Act at your spare time.

Below is an excerpt from Lagos Law ----- Lagos being the most progressive, I am sure it will be same with other States and the FCT.

And literal interpretation of same suggests that their must be interest or expectation of a larger sum for one to qualify as a money lender.

I would appreciate a llink to the Act that supports your stance.

Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by histemple: 6:55pm On Feb 20, 2018
Partnerbiz:

Below is an excerpt from Lagos Law ----- Lagos being the most progressive, I am sure it will be same with other States and the FCT.

And literal interpretation of same suggests that their must be interest or expectation of a larger sum for one to qualify as a money lender.

I would appreciate a llink to the Act that supports your stance.

Hello Dear,

I am happy that you took the pain to read up what qualifies you as a money lender. I am particularly glad because I believe you must have learnt other provisions contained therein.

Nonetheless, let me further inform you that the money lenders Act is not the same for all the states, although the difference are not so much just like the Administration of Criminal Justice Act.

However, I understand your difficulty in understanding that waiving interest on loan doesn't mean it's no longer a loan. The section you attached is the primary element that defines loan, same for banks.

But I am sure you are very much aware that some banks in Nigeria can give you loan without interest. Does it mean it's no longer a loan? Well, the answer is NO.

Perhaps this will help you to understand it-------There is no other legal term to define money lent to a friend with the expectation of getting same back aside LENDING. And to lend, you require a license. Please take this from me. I have been into commercial law for quite some years now.
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by Partnerbiz(f): 7:00pm On Feb 20, 2018
histemple:

Hello Dear,

I am happy that you took the pain to read up what qualifies you as a money lender. I am particularly glad because I believe you must have learnt other provisions contained therein.

Nonetheless, let me further inform you that the money lenders Act is not the same for all the states, although the difference are not so much just like the Administration of Criminal Justice Act.

However, I understand your difficulty in understanding that waiving interest on loan doesn't mean it's no longer a loan. The section you attached is the primary element that defines loan, same for banks.

But I am sure you are very much aware that some banks in Nigeria can give you loan without interest. Does it mean it's no longer a loan? Well, the answer is NO.

Perhaps this will help you to understand it-------There is no other legal term to define money lent to a friend with the expectation of getting same back aside LENDING. And to lend, you require a license. Please take this from me. I have been into commercial law for quite some years now.

Well, let's leave it at that.
Really intriguing having you. Thanks.
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by erobes: 1:12pm On Feb 22, 2018
LOL....hardened nigeria debtors. u either lose ur money or ur friendship and most times u lose both. it's base on u tho
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by biztip: 8:35am On Feb 23, 2018
only lend what u can forfeit. even in biz some will come and carry goods on credit to sell . when u go to collect ur money they will tell u stories ; I never pay my rent, my wife gave birth in dhospital and no money to pay her bills, etc etc. so not only money lent goes south, even biz money. d economy is hitting harder people should be more careful
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by DebbieSean(f): 9:02pm On Feb 27, 2018
bidemz:

Fast and pray u say?.... undecided
Yes oo
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by NERROBEATS(m): 10:27pm On Feb 27, 2018
Pls can anybody tell me what is today's date bikonu.
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by NERROBEATS(m): 10:32pm On Feb 27, 2018
erobes:
LOL....hardened nigeria debtors. u either lose ur money or ur friendship and most times u lose both. it's base on u tho
Yea based on you my brother.
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by ottidex(m): 10:00am On Mar 12, 2018
ladyF:
Your money is gone! Shey nairalanders said borrowing is not a criminal offence, that it's a civil offence. Nothing anybody can do for you grin

Next time, don't borrow money you cannot afford to lose. We learn everyday...

It's LadyF again. grin grin grin

You exchange gifts cards Amazon or iTunes?
Thanks
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by aezenkwu(m): 11:14am On Aug 13, 2018
Fourwinds:
nice one....OP take note of this
thank you
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 9:47am On Oct 08, 2020
Memories12411:
Any money you can't forfeit don't give out to a debtor. If someone asks for 10k and you know you can't wait for forever to your money back is better you help the person with 1k and let him go.

this is the Wisest talk on this forum. I have applied this severally and it works!!!

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 9:49am On Oct 08, 2020
samuelchimmy:
if the debtor is a customer, (that's the only way I can even borrow you money) just keep calm and pretend as if you've forgotten, trust Nigerians they will never remind of that money until you tell them, but don't disturb them, they will soon forget they owe you, so when they come to do new business with you, once their spare cash is in your hands, take the money as your repayment, some will use their sense to know that they owe you, but some will still want it gragra just chirp this word 'you forget say you dey owe mean ' it doesnt stop there, some will still be persistent that you give them their spare money, that they want to used for a very important thing, but the logic is make your own need of the money more important than he's in that particular time

this works for small sum.
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by dotcomnamename: 10:21am On Apr 27, 2021
histemple:

Your comment is even the funniest. More so, it could mislead others about the laws of the land.

First, a debtor is not a criminal and can not be arrested or invited by the police. The police is not empowered by the law to investigate or handle civil matters. Although some overzealous police officers do dabble into civil matters and go free because most of such people are either illiterates or ignorant of their rights.

Secondly, if this person became a debtor because you lent him/her the money, then you may even go to jail if you don't have the "Money Lenders License" that empowers you to lend money.

Now, do not mistake the exceptions. For example if somebody is owing you because you paid for goods and he failed to supply the goods but instead promised to return the money, the police will treat it as a criminal case of Obtaining By Tricks (OBT).

But if somebody is owing you because you completed a contract and he refused to pay for the work done, you can only sue him even for damages, provided you have documents to justify such claims.

This is not correct. A debtor can be arrested provided that a pre-action notice has been served first and the debtor did not pay back, then follow by petition to the police, if the debtor still did not pay, then you will go to the police station and write a statement. Once you visit the police station and write the statement, then the police have full right to either invite the debtor or go and arrest th debtor. At this stage, some police will go for an arrest because their believe is that if they invite the debtor usually the debtor's lawyer will block the invitation on fundamental ground, so some police station prefer to go for arrest and they have the right to do so because pre-action notice and petition has been served already. Then its either the debtor agree to write undertaking for repayment right inside the police station or straight to court.

In summary, police can arrest debtor. I am 1000% sure of this.
Re: What's The Best Way You Ever Dealt With A Debtor Who Refused To Pay? by Olayinka777(m): 12:15pm On Apr 27, 2021
Phillfree:
A man was owing me 250k, whenever I call he will ask me to just hold on for a while. It continued this way for 6 months and I never gave up. He actually got tired of me because it got to a point I started going to his office and house thrice a week. So finally, he issued me a cheque of 250k. I happily left for the bank only to discover his account had just 200k. I quickly paid 50k into his account and withdrew my 250k. Immediately he got the alert he called me that he is sorry, he just remembered he has less than 250k.

Just go ahead disturbing the debtor, no give am breathing space. He will soon get tired of you and will want to have rest.

Oga,what u did was not wise & also very risky. What if he was faster than u by pulling out the 250k from his account then u will be back to square one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Amputated Man Sells Beads In Onitsha (Photo) / What Business Can I Start With Just N150,000? / Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.