Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,671 members, 7,955,458 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:25 AM

Beware! That SD Card Can Compromise Your Privacy - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Beware! That SD Card Can Compromise Your Privacy (507 Views)

Tecno CAMON 17 Review: The Compromise, Ridiculous! / Stop Using Whatsapp If You Care About Your Privacy / Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Beware! That SD Card Can Compromise Your Privacy by Nobody: 11:50pm On Feb 19, 2018
Please permit me to share this personal experience. I was at the Computer Village Ikeja recently for a particular transaction. I was about to leave when I remembered that that I needed at least a 2 gb SD card.
I am always choosy regarding where I pick my stuff from, but that day I just felt so tired and before you say jack!, I had found myself negotiating with a woman behind a micro table at the end of Ola Ayeni Street.
I eventually bought a 4gb sd card.
Now, I needed to transfer some audio materials for personal edification from my google drive account to the card. This required me to plug the sd card to my laptop. Upon opening the card, I saw about 5 files named after some popular Nigerian contemporary musicians' hit songs. This could certain arouse some sort of curiosity from a fan of such songs.
Thank goodness, the antivirus on my laptop quickly alerted and identified those files as hacking tools and they were immediately neutralized.

I kept on imagining afterwards, if only I had put the memory card straight into my phone, it could have snatched all my financial details and other sensitive information.
My conclusion is that our yahoo boys may have initiated a 'collabo' with many nondescript traders to sell memory card preloaded with hacking tools to unsuspecting members of the public.

Please beware of WHAT you buy, and beware of WHERE you buy it.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: Beware! That SD Card Can Compromise Your Privacy by jerflakes(m): 12:31am On Feb 20, 2018
Ma guy you too dey panic

Everyone knows that when you buy a storage device (memory stick, flash disk, disk drive) , you format it first before use

2 Likes

Re: Beware! That SD Card Can Compromise Your Privacy by josh005(m): 7:32am On Feb 20, 2018
[quote author=Gracealone post=65211006]Please permit me to share this personal experience. I was at the Computer Village Ikeja recently for a particular transaction. I was about to leave when I remembered that that I needed at least a 2 gb SD card.
I am always choosy regarding where I pick my stuff from, but that day I just felt so tired and before you say jack!, I had found myself negotiating with a woman behind a micro table at the end of Ola Ayeni Street.
I eventually bought a 4gb sd card.
Now, I needed to transfer some audio materials for personal edification from my google drive account to the card. This required me to plug the sd card to my laptop. Upon opening the card, I saw about 5 files named after some popular Nigerian contemporary musicians' hit songs. This could certain arouse some sort of curiosity from a fan of such songs.
Thank goodness, the antivirus on my laptop quickly alerted and identified those files as hacking tools and they were immediately neutralized.

I kept on imagining afterwards, if only I had put the memory card straight into my phone, it could have snatched all my financial details and other sensitive information.
My conclusion is that our yahoo boys may have initiated a 'collabo' with many nondescript traders to sell memory card preloaded with hacking tools to unsuspecting members of the public.

Please beware of WHAT you buy, and beware of WHERE you buy it.

Peace.

Thanks broh

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

T / Leeco Le Pro3 Elite 4g 5.5" 16+8mp 4gb + 32gb - ₦63776 Free Shipping / My Best Ways Of Solving "Unfortunately, Whatsapp Has Stopped" On Infinix, Techno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.