Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,414 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? (18857 Views)

6 Important Vehicle Documents Police, FRSC & VIO Will Always Ask You / Breaking News: Kaduna State Govt Dissolves Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) / Six (6) Important Vehicle Documents Police, FRSC & VIO Will Always Ask You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by GeorgeD1(m): 7:01pm On Apr 23, 2010
gents,
recently, i travelled to the countryside and on my way back was accosted by our 'friends' the police. they checked all my documents and when they couldn't find any fault, they started asking for my vehicle road worthiness certificate. i then replied that my vehicle is not a commercial vehicle hence does not need a road worthiness certificate. on hearing that, they promptly stopped two private vehicles and showed me proof that they both had the certificate even though they were not commercial. i became non-plussed but not wanting to be outwitted, i smartly asked them why they were doing the work of vehicle inspection officers (vio). my question seemed to anger them and they began boasting that btw the police and vehicle inspection officers, the police has the upper hand. they also threatened to impound my car until i produced the required certificate. to cut a long story short, i had to part with 1500 before i could go free.

the question here is this: between the police and vehicle inspection officers (vio), which of them is really empowered by law to check for vehicle road worthiness certificates?
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by jesus3: 7:26pm On Apr 23, 2010
In Nigeria, anythng goes. But by implication VIO is empowered to asked anythng about a vehicle,likewise FRSC. Police may also search to comfirm if the car isnt stolen but have no business with road worthiness. RW is to show if the vehicle is fit to ply the road and has nothing to do with security.

2 Likes

Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by Fhemmmy: 7:43pm On Apr 23, 2010
Nigeria is a country in a confused state.

We got a call recently from NDLEA in Nigeria that they have a parcel that belongs we sent to our representative in Nigeria.
The Parcel contains the BOL and other normal papers for the rides.

Now, the NDLEA Agents wanted to see my Tax clearance in the USA for the last 5 years.
My Pay stub

And i was shocked, cos i thought that ought to be a wahala that Customs ought to worry about, I thought NDLEA are all about drugs and chemical stuff.

However, Nigeria will grow one day.

2 Likes

Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by platinumnk(f): 7:54pm On Apr 23, 2010
Nigeria . . . sigh . . a good lawsuit will stop all this trash!

^Though it will never happen embarassed

Police will make up anything to take money
in Owerri They stole 1500N because I didnt have papers for tinted glass lipsrsealed
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by BizBooks(m): 8:09pm On Apr 23, 2010
@ Fhemmmy,

Now, the NDLEA Agents wanted to see my Tax clearance in the USA for the last 5 years.

The same thing happened to me last year. They said they wanted to make sure that I am not into money laundering. The good thing is that once I provided the requested documents, they released the Bill of Lading without asking for any money.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by Fhemmmy: 8:16pm On Apr 23, 2010
I just really tire for them for Nija.
I think something has to be done, cos all those crazy thing aint good for business.

BizBooks:

@ Fhemmmy,

The same thing happened to me last year. They said they wanted to make sure that I am not into money laundering. The good thing is that once I provided the requested documents, they released the Bill of Lading without asking for any money.

I provided the documents as well and they have released the document, but i was worried so that they dont use info for something else, cos i no trust those people.

1 Like

Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by Gifo(m): 11:21pm On Apr 23, 2010
@George-D
I had a similar experience that made me part 2grand at Abia highway enroute to Ebonyi from P.H. I gave the same reason of not being a commercial vehicle and even a brand new car bought in P.H. That didn't stop them. Rather they asked 'what if it has had an accident new or not?'. Other vehicles were also being stopped and those not complying being threatened to be taken to the police station. I had to pay to continue my journey.

On my return I promptly got one at 2grand just to have easy travel. In Naija, you can't really beat these guys, can you?
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:46pm On Apr 24, 2010
gifo, fhemmmy, bizBooks, etc,
thank you all for your contributions. what really annoyed me was the day in question was a sunday and the police knew there was no way i could go get any road worthiness certificate that day.
they really had me by the balls! angry
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by Fhemmmy: 3:48pm On Apr 24, 2010
George_D:

gifo, fhemmmy, bizBooks, etc,
thank you all for your contributions. what really annoyed me was the[b] day in question was a sunday and the police knew there was no way i could go get any road worthiness certificate that day. [/b]
they really had me by the balls! angry

That was what made their day.

Another man's annoyance is their own source of income . . . . . . . . I went on the NDLEA website to get their contact to blast them and i quickly remember:
These are Nigerians
They could put some white "powder" to incriminate
Their contact number was a cell fone and is turned off after hours.

So i just added one and one together and have our rep to show them the documents and move on.

But like i said, something has to be done about all these nonsense.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by seal777(m): 11:33pm On Apr 24, 2010
my understanding is  cars that are above the legal age are required to obtain the road worthiness permit, right or wrong i cant say.

i have it on my camry for the first time since 2005 this yr 2010 cos it over 10 yrs but not on my accord 2005 cos its less than10yrs and all policemen who dont know their job have gladly learn from me on the high way cos i travel alot.

know your right and be confident about it.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by ESEL: 2:30am On Apr 25, 2010
FOR YOUR MOBILE DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE ON YOUR CAR, CALL 08035496482 or 08055673680. We will Diagnose your Car and get back your Car in good shape anywhere (Mobile Service).

Never Neglect Lights such as; CHECK ENGINE, ABS, SRS AIRBAG, MAINTENANCE REQUIRED, TRAC ON and the rest.

We are trained for all these.

Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:38pm On Apr 25, 2010
seal777:

my understanding is cars that are above the legal age are required to obtain the road worthiness permit, right or wrong i cant say.

i have it on my camry for the first time since 2005 this yr 2010 cos it over 10 yrs but not on my accord 2005 cos its less than10yrs and all policemen who dont know their job have gladly learn from me on the high way cos i travel alot.

know your right and be confident about it.

seal,
are you saying the road worthiness certificate is only required in vehicles that are above 10 years of age? is that a fact?
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by inze(m): 1:25pm On Apr 25, 2010
George_D:

seal,
are you saying the road worthiness certificate is only required in vehicles that are above 10 years of age? is that a fact?
i don't think so shocked
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by GeorgeD1(m): 4:01pm On Apr 25, 2010
well, maybe seal should come out with his facts.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by seal777(m): 5:02pm On Apr 25, 2010
The law pegs the maximum age of cars to be imported into the country as good and fit to be driven on nigerian road at 10 yrs. All other cars older than 10 yrs need be certified fit and worthy to ply nigerian road and that re to be done on yearly basis.

Its a fact i ve proven times without number. I AM VERY SURE OF MY ACCERTION.

Ask the question, what is there to be certified worthy in a car almost brand new?.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by GeorgeD1(m): 7:12pm On Apr 25, 2010
seal,
unless you can prove this with the law, you might as well be talking to the empty air as far as our police 'friends' are concerned.

another thing, wouldn't it be foolhardy arguing with a hungry policeman with a loaded gun under the hot afternoon sun?
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by GOODMAN1: 8:56am On Apr 26, 2010
Road worthiness is required for vehicles above 5 years. One wonders though if the roads are actually vehicle-worthy.

7 Likes

Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by Gifo(m): 10:05pm On Apr 26, 2010
George_D:

seal,
unless you can prove this with the law, you might as well be talking to the empty air as far as our police 'friends' are concerned.

another thing, wouldn't it be foolhardy arguing with a hungry policeman with a loaded gun under the hot afternoon sun?

Apt question that! After you are kept for hours and very well frustrated I bet you wont see a law court on the highway to prove your case.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by GeorgeD1(m): 4:13pm On Apr 27, 2010
good talk, gifo!
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by alotofgrace(m): 1:50pm On Oct 23, 2013
bro..the difference is that 15h o grin grin
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by 4reigningqueen: 1:50pm On Oct 23, 2013
i am as confused as you are because somethings will happen here and you will wonder if this is another planet.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by ITbomb(m): 1:52pm On Oct 23, 2013
Their chief weapon is just time wasting and not the gun, if not, person for stay there and fight for his right.

1 Like

Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by alotofgrace(m): 1:52pm On Oct 23, 2013
ESEL: FOR YOUR MOBILE DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE ON YOUR CAR, CALL 08035496482 or 08055673680. We will Diagnose your Car and get back your Car in good shape anywhere (Mobile Service).

Never Neglect Lights such as; CHECK ENGINE, ABS, SRS AIRBAG, MAINTENANCE REQUIRED, TRAC ON and the rest.

We are trained for all these.

are u commenting or asking for hel[p]? undecided
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by braxjay(m): 1:53pm On Oct 23, 2013
SPACE BOOKING FOR FUTURE COMMENT.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by Marpol: 1:54pm On Oct 23, 2013
The Lagos State Government says private vehicles below 5 years from date of manufacture do not require road worthiness certificate. However, the State Director for Vehicle Inspection Service, Gbolahan Toriola says all vehicles meant for commercial use, whether brand new or fairly used would require the certificate, in line with the state’s road traffic law. Toriola told correspondent Esther Oyegue, that to obtain a Road Worthiness certificate, the vehicle must be presented for physical check by Vehicle Inspection Officials, to ensure it does not endanger other road users.
While warning that driving without valid papers attracts penalty, Toriola said the state government is not interested in the fine, but in ensuring that Lagosians are safe on the roads.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by Marpol: 1:55pm On Oct 23, 2013
Lagos State Chief Vehicle Inspection Officer, Gbolahan Afeez Toriola, says the MOT certificate is for private vehicles while the Road Worthiness certificate is for companies and commercial vehicles.

Toriola made the clarification in a phone-in programme of Lagos Traffic Radio to clear the air on the confusion making the rounds on the heels of the new traffic law in force in Lagos State.

He also added that the MOT test is done once a year while the road worthiness is to be done twice a year.

He stated that MOT is valid anywhere in Nigeria and could be paid for at the designated banks which include Sterling Bank,UBA,Zenith,GTBank,Eco Bank,Access Bank and First Bank
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by Zumarocket(f): 1:56pm On Oct 23, 2013
thread was created 2010,
mukina2 i hail u.oo

1 Like

Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by Marpol: 1:57pm On Oct 23, 2013
The Chief Vehicle Inspection Officer in Lagos State, Mr. Gbolahan Toriola, and the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mr Frank Mba, have called on motorists to report any law enforcement agent trying to extort money from them for not possessing Certificate of Road Worthiness.

The two men, who spoke against the backdrop of allegations of extortion over the CRW being levelled against VIOs and policemen in Lagos State, said it was wrong for the officers to demand for the CRW from private vehicle owners.

”Road worthiness certificate is for commercial and heavy duty vehicles like buses, trucks and so on. The only certificate that private vehicle owners are expected to possess is the Ministry of Transportation (MOT) certificate,” Toriola said.

According to him, MOT certificate is in consonance with the prescription of the Federal Government in relation to the particulars that vehicles are expected to have.

”What we have done is to extract it to suit our interest in Lagos State, and the Federal Government and all the states of the federation are aware of this,” he said. He added that once a private vehicle owner tenders the MOT certificate to law enforcement agents who request for it while on duty, asking him to produce a CRW is unnecessary.

While admitting that his office had been receiving complaints on the high-handedness of some policemen and VIOs over the road worthiness certificate issue, he called on those affected to report the errant officers to the appropriate authorities.

”Every vehicle inspection officer has a name tag. Such an officer should be reported to his superiors. Also, policemen who demand for road worthiness certificate from private vehicle owners should be reported to police authorities, because it does not fall under their jurisdiction,” he added.

Speaking on the same issue, Mba, told our correspondent that the major vehicle particulars that policemen were expected to demand for include vehicle licence, driver‘s licence, insurance and tinted permit for those who use cars with tinted windscreen.

While admitting that CRW was not meant for private vehicles, the police image maker said he was not aware of any extortion by policemen over the issue. He advised any motorist who claims to have been extorted to report the erring officers to police authorities, particularly because the uniforms of policemen on duty carry name tags.

1 Like

Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by Lilimax(f): 1:58pm On Oct 23, 2013
2010 thread?
I give up angry
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by israel007: 2:03pm On Oct 23, 2013
[size=20pt]you should have thought of the country you are before posting this. don't be surprised that a vigilante group can stop you and request to see

drivers' licence

road worthiness

fire extinguisher

even car air freshener
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by vislabraye(m): 2:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
GOODMAN1: Road worthiness is required for vehicles above 5 years. One wonders though if the roads are actually vehicle-worthy.

Exactly !!!

VIO tOo can be a pain in the neck. My sister once drove my car and she was stopped by them. They asked her to produce the documents of the vehicle. She couldn't produce them @ that point and so they seized one of the new plate numbers.
That good part for me was that it was the old plate number they seized. Bad part for me was that I was yet to renew my car document. So instead of paying that 45k fine, I rather purchased a new plate number.

With all these officials on the road, (don't 4get LASTMA) driving is not so pleasant.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read / Bentley Unveils The World’s First Luxury Hybrid SUV With 31mile Plug-in Range / Inside Kazeem's Dictionary: Nicknames For Car Parts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.