Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,369 members, 7,836,488 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) (13274 Views)

Nigerian Sexual Predator Who Groomed Young Girls Online Is Jailed In UK. Photo / Adetokunbo Ajibola Jailed In UK For Drug Dealings / Nigerian Beauty Therapist Jailed In UK For Sexually Assaulting A Client. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by hennyholla17(m): 6:36am On Feb 21, 2018
the Samuel Ilori Magistrate’s Court sitting at Ogba, Lagos State, has sentenced 13 cart pushers to five months’ imprisonment for violating the state environmental law.

The offenders, who were arrested on Lagos Island, Ikorodu and Egbeda areas, were arraigned by the Lagos State Environmental Sanitation Corps on Tuesday.

PUNCH Metro learnt that officials of the agency, led by the Corps Marshal, LAGESC, ACP Daniel Isiofa (retd.), raided the areas from 11.30pm to 3am during which the suspects were arrested.

They were subsequently taken to the court and arraigned on one count of indiscriminate dumping of refuse.

The magistrate, Ogundare Olayinwola, who delivered the judgement, sentenced the men to five months’ imprisonment with an option of N20,000 fine.

It will be recalled that 33 residents of the state had in January been sentenced to different terms of imprisonment for violating the Lagos State Environmental Sanitation Law 2017.

The Public Affairs Officer of LAGESC, Alabi Rahmat, in a statement, said the agency would continue to clamp down on violators of the environmental law.

“LAGESC warns residents of Lagos to desist from illegal dumping of refuse and waste on major roads, highways, medians and all other unauthorised places to avoid causing serious environmental nuisances and jeopardising the intention of the state government to ensure a sustainable, cleaner, healthier and safer environment.

“The agency’s Corp Marshal, Isiofa, urges Lagosians to make proper use of the Cleaner Lagos Initiative refuse and waste bins that have been strategically positioned in different areas. They should also dispose their refuse at designated pick-up points across the state. The Lagos Island West District pick-up points are Jankara, Pelewura, Idumota, Oluwole, Apongbon and PZ,” she said.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/punchng.com/lagos-court-jails-13-cart-pushers/amp/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by kokozain(m): 6:41am On Feb 21, 2018
Lagos is now meant for high income earner

6 Likes

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by hungryboy(m): 6:51am On Feb 21, 2018
Am not against Ambode enforcing his environmental laws, but jailing cart pushers who are just trying to eke out a living isn't fair.

His Government should enroll them in skill acquisition centres for training to acquire a decent skill and give them startup capital after the are through with their training rather than jail 'em.

Nigerian jails don't rehabilitate you, it destroys you

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by mayskit4luv(m): 12:15pm On Feb 21, 2018
Ok
Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by bobokeshington: 12:15pm On Feb 21, 2018
wow
Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by holluwai(m): 12:16pm On Feb 21, 2018
Not nice

1 Like

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by okito: 12:16pm On Feb 21, 2018
And polithiefians are walking free? Sad poetry!

4 Likes

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by TreasuredGlory: 12:16pm On Feb 21, 2018
Please, please and please, tender justice with mercy for God's sake. D job itself is demeaning, and they got engaged in it cos there was no alternative. To get that 20k is like a camel passing through the eye of a needle. God will have mercy on you too in Jesus mighty name. None of your generations will be involved in cart pushing as a means of livelihood in Jesus mighty name. Amen. You can then enrol them in any skill acquisition centre.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by Mferah: 12:17pm On Feb 21, 2018
Lagos hustle story

1 Like

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by BabyApple(m): 12:18pm On Feb 21, 2018
This is Lagos
Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by tivta(m): 12:18pm On Feb 21, 2018
heheheheheheheheh

megacity
Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by noobias(m): 12:19pm On Feb 21, 2018
No development is without casualties.

3 Likes

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by rawtouch: 12:19pm On Feb 21, 2018
blame visionscape..

1 Like

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by jerflakes(m): 12:20pm On Feb 21, 2018
hungryboy:
Am not against Ambode enforcing his environmental laws, but jailing cart pushers who are just trying to eke out a living isn't fair.

His Government should enroll them in skill acquisition centres for training to acquire a decent skill and give them startup capital after the are through with their training rather than jail 'em.

Nigerian jails don't rehabilitate you, it destroys you

Why

3 Likes

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by GreenArrow1(m): 12:20pm On Feb 21, 2018
Kai! This brought tears to my eyes. I know some will say they broke the law and I'm aware. Don't blame me, sometimes you just have to take a pause when your humanity pokes at you. *wipes tear* What a country.

8 Likes

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by wittyt98(m): 12:20pm On Feb 21, 2018
eyah!

5 Likes

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by stiles009(m): 12:24pm On Feb 21, 2018
jailing someone who's tryn to make the best of a sad situation is totally inhumane. These are people persevering, and just passing-by the best legally way they could. They didn't opt to be robbers nor beggars and yet they are being crucified. whatever happened to rehabilitation over incarceration? whatever happened to welfarism? what exactly will this preach to the less privileged?
Trump was right, a shithole it is.

7 Likes

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by uruego(f): 12:26pm On Feb 21, 2018
what is the government's alternative plan towards removing dirtss from the street. Just take a look at Lagos Streets, it stinks.

5 Likes

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by suco01(m): 12:28pm On Feb 21, 2018
One sided governor. how many of his clean lagos initiative has he jail...

1 Like

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by maestroferddi: 12:28pm On Feb 21, 2018
There was a country!

2 Likes

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by manikspears: 12:36pm On Feb 21, 2018
GreenArrow1:
Kai! This brought tears to my eyes. I know some will say they broke the law and I'm aware. Don't blame me, sometimes you just have to take a pause when your humanity pokes at you. *wipes tear* What a country.

that was deep bro, that was deep

9 Likes

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 12:37pm On Feb 21, 2018
Not cool.. These ones will become robbers
Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by Godyke(m): 12:39pm On Feb 21, 2018
These hard working young men are just being jailed because they are cart pushers and not for reason that they dumped refuse somewhere. What of those heaps of refuse currently littering the entire metropolis, why hasn't there been any arrest and conviction of all the persons responsible. Law for the weak and poor

1 Like

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by PETUK(m): 12:41pm On Feb 21, 2018
They are not pushing anything if they are not pushing drungs
Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by Hafeezcodex1(m): 12:42pm On Feb 21, 2018
instead of providing them a job to make their living, "na jail hun nah dey give them", God dey ooo, and his watching you all, this world is becoming uncomfortable place more and more, may God help us, where civilian pay tax, and the tax is used to buy firearm, tanker, helicopter, trucks teargas and other fight equipment, and yet those wicked mother called government used these things that was paid for by civilian to fight against the same civilian when they protest on what they don't want, this inst good is called injustices act. God almighty will pay you all on what you did n't do right. amen.

2 Likes

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by realmindz: 12:50pm On Feb 21, 2018
So many emotional people on this thread...
Grow up guys, they are just cart pushers....grin

lemme wear my bullet proof before they come for me grin
Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by Ogbuevi(m): 12:59pm On Feb 21, 2018
Chai! how will their poor families feed now?

check out www.listclan.com

1 Like

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by Nobody: 1:04pm On Feb 21, 2018
That's like jailing homeless people. LOL

1 Like

Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by MacBan: 1:07pm On Feb 21, 2018
I was thinking about community service but I doubt if the government can actually monitor these guys.... there has to be something other than jail terms so as to serve as deterrent to others.
Re: 13 Cart Pushers Jailed In Lagos (Photo) by Xisnin(m): 1:08pm On Feb 21, 2018
GreenArrow1:

Jungle mentality.
The law is the law.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kidnappers Of Pastor Elisha Noma Demand N20m Ransom / Miyetti Allah Calls For End To Killing Of Fulani People / Nigerian Drug Peddlers Attack Police Officer During Raid In India, One Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.