Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,732 members, 7,809,808 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk (86394 Views)

Powdered Milk, Pop Corn, Oats for sale: 08023061850 / Hilarious Photos Of Cakes That Probably Taste Better Than They Look / New Business Niche: Supply Of 25 Kg Bags Of Powdered Milk In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by dairyguru: 11:20am On Feb 25, 2018
Powdered Milk is a manufactured dairy product made by evaporating milk to dryness. One purpose of drying milk is to preserve it; milk powder has a far longer shelf life than liquid milk and does not need to be refrigerated, due to its low moisture content. Another purpose is to reduce its bulk for economy of transportation.

Have you ever wondered why some milk powder brands cost more than others? I’m sure you have. It is also likely that you have come up with possible reasons, from “Nigerian made” versus “imported” to “the cheaper one ‘contains’ less, and left it at that.

Of course, there’s a lot to be said for quality. There are brands that arguably have earned the right to demand more money because they have put in above average levels of quality control and nutritional value. Most people who buy these brands do so without complaining because they know what they’re paying for and they get their money’s worth.

However, the one MAJOR difference between milk powder brands that I never considered before last weekend, is that not all “powdered milk” is the same- and it doesn’t have to do with the company. The different types of powdered milk are explained below:

1. Full Cream Milk
The full cream milk, also known as whole milk is the milk in the form we get them from animals. It contains no added fat from non-dairy cow sources. Also, the dairy fat content is not removed. Full cream milk powder is creamier due to the higher 'dairy fat' content, it also tastes better, is more nutritious, and generally costs more.

2. Filled Milk
Filled milk also called fat filled milk is any milk that has been reconstituted with fats, usually vegetable oils, from sources other than dairy cows.Filled milk powder is not as creamy, not as nutritious, and it’s generally cheaper.

3. Skimmed Milk
Skimmed milk is milk from which the dairy fat (or cream) has been removed. it can provide the the nutrition contained in the full cream milk but without added fats and calories (reduces the risks of cardiovascular problems).

So next time you’re at the store, know why you’re spending more or less. Are you consciously paying for the actual product you’re getting, or are you just influenced by packaging and advertising?

The list is not exhaustive but these are the major ones we see in the market. feel free to add more

Have you ever wondered why some milk powder brands cost more than others? I’m sure you have. It is also likely that you have come up with possible reasons, from “Nigerian made” versus “imported” to “the cheaper one ‘contains’ less”, and left it at that.

Of course, there’s a lot to be said for quality. There are brands that arguably have earned the right to demand more money because they have put in above average levels of quality control and nutritional value. Most people who buy these brands do so without complaining because they know what they’re paying for and they get their money’s worth.

However, the one MAJOR difference between milk powder brands that I never considered before last weekend, is that not all “powdered milk” is the same- and it doesn’t have to do with the company.

For instance, the preferred brand in my home is Dano. One day, I realised that Dano Cool Cow was cheaper than the Dano Full Cream Milk Powder I had been buying, so we switched to that. Of course at the back of my mind, I knew it was cheaper for a reason but I refused to think about it. After all, it’s the same Dano.

Then late last year, the supermarket I’m loyal to put the 500g Dano Full Cream Milk Powder we used to buy on the “buy one, get one free” shelf. Apparently, people had not been buying it and it had to go before it expired. I bought several packs and got several free. My people, I had an epiphany! My motto changed from powdered milk na powdered milk to powdered milk pass powdered milk!

Oh, I was reminded of the true goodness of milk. My taste buds understood deeply why this Dano Full Cream Milk Powder was more expensive than Dano Cool Cow, but my mind did not… yet.

Over the weekend, I was talking with a friend who works at Friesland Campina (makers of Peak Milk and Three Crowns Milk) and the topic came up. I finally learnt that what makes the difference is not so much the brand you’re buying as whether you’re buying Full Cream Milk or Filled Milk. The latter is reconstituted with substitute fats from sources other than dairy cows.

I realized I have no business comparing names and prices randomly. The difference between the Peak Milk we know and the Cowbell Milk we know is not merely the name or price; they are not even the same thing at all. And it’s clearly written on the packs if we would only look.

I paid attention at the store subsequently and learnt that what Arla Foods does using the same “family name” – Dano Full Cream Milk Powder and Dano Cool Cow Instant Filled Milk Powder – is what Friesland does using unrelated names – Peak Full Cream Milk, and Three Crowns Instant Filled Milk. Promasidor also toes the same line with Loya and Cowbell. One full cream milk and one filled milk. Same company.

Nestlé Nigeria can decide at any time to make a filled milk powder, which will be less expensive than the Nido Full Cream we know. In fact, Friesland can decide to make Peak Filled Milk Powder despite the fact that they already have a filled milk brand- Three Crowns.

The bottom line? Full cream milk powder is creamier, tastes better, is more nutritious, and generally costs more. Filled milk powder is not as creamy, not as nutritious, and it’s generally cheaper.

So next time you’re at the store, know why you’re spending more or less. Are you consciously paying for the actual product you’re getting, or are you just influenced by packaging and advertising?

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/connectnigeria.com/articles/2017/03/probably-didnt-know-powdered-milk/amp/

78 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by dairyguru: 11:22am On Feb 25, 2018
Expect a tutorial on yoghurt production very soon cool

It is now common to see kids and adults alike enjoy yoghurts with snacks like buns, meat pie, eggroll chin-chin, sausage roll, wheat, etc. I’ll be creating a yoghurt production tutorial on this forum very soon.

SKY Yoghurt, a new brand of yoghurt just arrived the market. Its unique taste is as a result of the unique blending formula which was discovered by a group of experienced yoghurt producers. Some of the reasons why you need to try out this yoghurt include:

 It’s a healthy yoghurt with great taste.
 The first vanilla flavoured yoghurt.
 It aids digestion of food
 It’s starch free, just pure milk!

To place orders or become our distributor;

Email dairygurusales@gmail.com

With SKY yoghurt, there’s no limit to the possibilities.

80 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by Nobody: 11:22am On Feb 25, 2018
Informative and educative thread.

I love milk........in the right proportion!
#TeamMilk

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by MrsMusty(f): 11:30am On Feb 25, 2018
I've certainly learnt... Tnx op

10 Likes

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by oyetunder(m): 11:42am On Feb 25, 2018
And now that I know? How will this make animals that are not producing milktto stop swallowing our wealth? I need someone to give me reasons why Nigerian snakes changed diet.

28 Likes

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by delugajackson: 11:43am On Feb 25, 2018
Nothing beats bréast milk, though. Ever wondered why babies scratch their heads while sucking from their mothers? Bréast milk over powdered milk anyday.

102 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by deepwater(f): 11:43am On Feb 25, 2018
grin

Advantage of breast milk over all these is because breast milk comes in a more attractive container undecided

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by Holywizard: 11:43am On Feb 25, 2018
I could remember years back I met a young girl ( I never knew she was breastfeeding a baby).
As things were going down, I started attacking the breasts by licking, biting, pressing and sucking it. Next thing I saw was full watery milk inside my mouth.
I shouted!!!
If u see as I take jump comot from bed eeeeh.
It was then she told me that she had a baby but a single mom.
As from that day, I dey ask even younger girls whether they are married.

N/B Breast milk is the best grin

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by RoyalBlak007: 11:43am On Feb 25, 2018
Good one!
Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by Codyt(m): 11:44am On Feb 25, 2018
Highly informative! I doubt if 80% of Nigerians knew this

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by jamalnation(m): 11:44am On Feb 25, 2018
our milk

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by livebynite: 11:44am On Feb 25, 2018
How does this reduce the cost of Garri? angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by Nobody: 11:44am On Feb 25, 2018
delugajackson:
Nothing beats bréast milk, though.

You are so right with this!!
Mama's or Wifey ' own tho.......

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by salbis(m): 11:45am On Feb 25, 2018
I have learnt something new today.

1 Like

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by Nobody: 11:45am On Feb 25, 2018
Thanks to our leaders.
Full cream oo, filled milk oo, milk powder sef.

How many Nigerians can afford any milk at all?

Here in Nigeria,
Everyday necessities are regarded as Luxuries.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by Tboysalau(m): 11:45am On Feb 25, 2018
smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by Dottore: 11:46am On Feb 25, 2018
Ok
Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by chrisxxx(m): 11:46am On Feb 25, 2018
delugajackson:
Nothing beats bréast milk, though.
Which br3ast milk?

1 Like

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by Franzinni: 11:46am On Feb 25, 2018
Whole milk,skimmed milk, meek milk, as far as e dey yellow for inside tea... Carry go!!!! You never see where person use kunu do milk for inside tea..... Nah wetin dem dey drink for BMC headquarters daily..... If nah lai ask sarki and crew!!!! Nah the chanji be that.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by FarahAideed: 11:47am On Feb 25, 2018
Keep taking a mixture of starch , flavour and vegetable oil fats and think you are drinking powered milk ...Do you know how many Vats of milk need to be dried before you get just a drum of powered milk? And dou think you would be able to afford true milk powder ?Yet you think all these nonsense flavoured powders you buy in masses supermarkets is milk grin grin...Omo wake up

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by mybestlove(m): 11:47am On Feb 25, 2018
I don't know the last time I bought milk in Nigeria.

Too much repackaging, imitations and poor control by our health agencies.

Our people do anything for the money.
Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by bjt(m): 11:47am On Feb 25, 2018
Breast milk is the best wink
Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by FruitCakes(f): 11:48am On Feb 25, 2018
dairyguru:
Powdered Milk is a manufactured dairy product made by evaporating milk to dryness. One purpose of drying milk is to preserve it; milk powder has a far longer shelf life than liquid milk and does not need to be refrigerated, due to its low moisture content. Another purpose is to reduce its bulk for economy of transportation.

Have you ever wondered why some milk powder brands cost more than others? I’m sure you have. It is also likely that you have come up with possible reasons, from “Nigerian made” versus “imported” to “the cheaper one ‘contains’ less, and left it at that.

However, the one MAJOR difference between milk powder brands that I never considered before last weekend, is that not all “powdered milk” is the same- and it doesn’t have to do with the company. The different types of powdered milk are explained below:

1. Full Cream Milk
The full cream milk, also known as whole milk is the milk in the form we get them from animals. It contains no added fat from non-dairy cow sources. Also, the dairy fat content is not removed. Full cream milk powder is creamier due to the higher 'dairy fat' content, it also tastes better, is more nutritious, and generally costs more.

2. Filled Milk
Filled milk also called fat filled milk is any milk that has been reconstituted with fats, usually vegetable oils, from sources other than dairy cows.Filled milk powder is not as creamy, not as nutritious, and it’s generally cheaper.

3. Skimmed Milk
Skimmed milk is milk from which the dairy fat (or cream) has been removed. it can provide the the nutrition contained in the full cream milk but without added fats and calories (reduces the risks of cardiovascular problems).

The list is not exhaustive but these are the major ones we see in the market. feel free to add more

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/connectnigeria.com/articles/2017/03/probably-didnt-know-powdered-milk/amp/
Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by Staru1(m): 11:49am On Feb 25, 2018
dairyguru:

1. Full Cream Milk

2. Filled Milk

3. Skimmed Milk

nice
Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by avalontony(m): 11:49am On Feb 25, 2018
informative.......... just checked a tin of peak on the shelf and its full cream......*smiles* grin
Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by delugajackson: 11:50am On Feb 25, 2018
modelmike7:

You are so right with this!!
Mama's or Wifey ' own tho.......
You know the drill, bro. I recommend the ones with airbag-sized proportions.
cheesycheesy

2 Likes

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by vioment: 11:51am On Feb 25, 2018
Good to know. Thank you. If na some ekuke people, them for say "gtk. Tanks ".

1 Like

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by Flexy2vybes(m): 11:52am On Feb 25, 2018
Booked maka read

1 Like

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by delugajackson: 11:53am On Feb 25, 2018
Holywizard:
I could remember years back I met a young girl ( I never knew she was breastfeeding a baby).
As things were going down, I started attacking the breasts by licking, biting, pressing and sucking it. Next thing I saw was full watery milk inside my mouth.
I shouted!!!
If u see as I take jump comot from bed eeeeh.
It was then she told me that she had a baby but a single mom.
As from that day, I dey ask even younger girls whether they are married.

N/B Breast milk is the best grin
"The taste of a pudding is in the eating of the pudding". That being said, you have now entered the league of men. But how come you were biting and pressing the poor girl like that? You are the reason most girls deny innocent guys like us a taste.

1 Like

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by Nobody: 11:54am On Feb 25, 2018
delugajackson:

You know the drill, bro. I recommend the ones with airbag-sized proportions.
cheesycheesy
As long as they belong to wifey and not some slay mama's, Carry go!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by lastmaster(m): 11:57am On Feb 25, 2018
Breast milk is the best. Let me go home and suck some succulent breast.
Re: What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk by pabostt: 11:58am On Feb 25, 2018
This is nice. Knowledge added, thanks OP.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Did You Know That Fanta Use To Be Like This?? / How Jollof Rice Was Served In A Party (pics) / Man Kills Monkey That Looks Like Human Being In Port Harcout. See Reactions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.