Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,986 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:42 AM

5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car (15101 Views)

5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by AutoJoshNIG: 6:12am On Feb 27, 2018
As it stands now and with the current trend in car technology, majority of drivers will give you 1001 reasons why automatic cars are better than manual cars. However, there are different strokes for different folks; some petrol heads still stick to the good old manual transmission. They just want to be in control. I’m one of them.

You may have been unintentionally messing up your transmission with the way you handle it. Be it as it may, I’m here to help you in my own little way.

Relax, read, assimilate and put it to practice.

Here are 5 things you shouldn’t do if you drive manual transmission.

1. Do not leave your car in gear when you have no intention to move:

You might be wondering why on earth you shouldn’t do this. It is very simple.

It is bad to do so because when you leave it engaged in a gear, your clutch will suffer from unnecessary wear and tear.

When the clutch is depressed, three main parts of the clutch press against the other – the spring, the bearing, and the diaphragm. This will gradually wear out.

So, next time you’re warming your car, at the stop light, have no intention of moving ASAP when the engine is cranked, just move the gear lever to the Neutral position in order not to overwork or stress your clutch.

2. Do not rest you hand on the gear lever:

All those times you have been forming gangster, cruising your car with one arm on the steering and the other comfortably resting on the lever, you have been getting it all wrong.

This one is particularly a bit surprising, but it is true. It is bad.

The weight of your arm can actually cause the parts responsible for gear shifting to rub against each other. This wears out your selector fork (transaxle shift forks). This on the long run might make your car start jumping out of gear.

Do your gear shift a favour and take back your hand back to the steering wheel. It is also a good driving habit to leave both hands on the wheel for proper control.

3. Do not floor you throttle/gas pedal when your engine is at low RPM:

Behind the scene, a lot is happening in a manual transmission. Flooring your throttle at a low RPM is unhealthy to the engine. By so doing, you tell the engine to accelerate as hard as it can. This brings much stress to the engine; it makes the engine work really hard.

Instead of flooring the throttle at a very low RPM, just downshift – move to a lower gear.

4. Do not use the clutch to hold your car on a hill:

I have heard many people call this ‘clutch engagement’. I don’t know how it came to be anyway.

This is the habit of using the clutch and throttle simultaneously so it could act as brake to avoid rolling back when in a hilly terrain.

When you do this, you are actually burning out the friction material on your clutch disk. Avoid this.

Use the conventional break and the handbrake (E-brake) in worst case scenarios.

5. Do not rest your foot on the clutch:

This makes your clutch not to be fully engaged. It causes wearing out of the clutch. It might also cause you car not to put down full engine power. It is called riding-the-clutch.

Any lover of manual transmission in the house? Don’t forget to tell us a thing or two in the comment section.

Also like, rate and share.

Good luck and shift safely!

https://autojosh.com/5-things-shouldnt-driving-manual-transmission-car/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by RZArecta2(m): 6:20am On Feb 27, 2018
Lagos traffic made me hate manual transmission, I think it's mostly learners who commit those mistakes sha

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by Spartanville(m): 6:50am On Feb 27, 2018
Nice Info

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by Omyyyk(m): 6:51am On Feb 27, 2018
G
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by B3sty(m): 6:51am On Feb 27, 2018
Thanks for the info, quiet Educative

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by SoftP(m): 6:52am On Feb 27, 2018
The only good thing about a manual car is keeping u awake and alert when going on long distance trip. Otherwise, naa punishment all the way !

18 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by ttshems(m): 6:52am On Feb 27, 2018
smiley there is this joy I feel when driving a stick .

9 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by free2ryhme: 6:53am On Feb 27, 2018
AutoJoshNIG:
As it stands now and with the current trend in car technology, majority of drivers will give you 1001 reasons why automatic cars are better than manual cars. However, there are different strokes for different folks; some petrol heads still stick to the good old manual transmission. They just want to be in control. I’m one of them.

You may have been unintentionally messing up your transmission with the way you handle it. Be it as it may, I’m here to help you in my own little way.

Relax, read, assimilate and put it to practice.

Here are 5 things you shouldn’t do if you drive manual transmission.

1. Do not leave your car in gear when you have no intention to move:

You might be wondering why on earth you shouldn’t do this. It is very simple.

It is bad to do so because when you leave it engaged in a gear, your clutch will suffer from unnecessary wear and tear.

When the clutch is depressed, three main parts of the clutch press against the other – the spring, the bearing, and the diaphragm. This will gradually wear out.

So, next time you’re warming your car, at the stop light, have no intention of moving ASAP when the engine is cranked, just move the gear lever to the Neutral position in order not to overwork or stress your clutch.

2. Do not rest you hand on the gear lever:

All those times you have been forming gangster, cruising your car with one arm on the steering and the other comfortably resting on the lever, you have been getting it all wrong.

This one is particularly a bit surprising, but it is true. It is bad.

The weight of your arm can actually cause the parts responsible for gear shifting to rub against each other. This wears out your selector fork (transaxle shift forks). This on the long run might make your car start jumping out of gear.

Do your gear shift a favour and take back your hand back to the steering wheel. It is also a good driving habit to leave both hands on the wheel for proper control.

3. Do not floor you throttle/gas pedal when your engine is at low RPM:

Behind the scene, a lot is happening in a manual transmission. Flooring your throttle at a low RPM is unhealthy to the engine. By so doing, you tell the engine to accelerate as hard as it can. This brings much stress to the engine; it makes the engine work really hard.

Instead of flooring the throttle at a very low RPM, just downshift – move to a lower gear.

4. Do not use the clutch to hold your car on a hill:

I have heard many people call this ‘clutch engagement’. I don’t know how it came to be anyway.

This is the habit of using the clutch and throttle simultaneously so it could act as brake to avoid rolling back when in a hilly terrain.

When you do this, you are actually burning out the friction material on your clutch disk. Avoid this.

Use the conventional break and the handbrake (E-brake) in worst case scenarios.

5. Do not rest your foot on the clutch:

This makes your clutch not to be fully engaged. It causes wearing out of the clutch. It might also cause you car not to put down full engine power. It is called riding-the-clutch.

Any lover of manual transmission in the house? Don’t forget to tell us a thing or two in the comment section.

Also like, rate and share.

Good luck and shift safely!

https://autojosh.com/5-things-shouldnt-driving-manual-transmission-car/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

people still dey drive manual for the era

una just dey suffer una legs

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by cinoedhunter: 6:53am On Feb 27, 2018
Manual na serious work for Naija traffic jam

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by AnaCheks(m): 6:53am On Feb 27, 2018
Jayclinics:
K
Omyyyk:
G
[
Spartanville:
u
quote author=Spartanville post=65403385]u[/quote] MUST YOU BOOK SPACE EEHHH... Let it end this month grin
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by cooldipo(m): 6:54am On Feb 27, 2018
Nice info......

Though it has graced the front page before
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by ipobarecriminals: 6:56am On Feb 27, 2018
sad
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by atilla(m): 6:58am On Feb 27, 2018
Putting the car into reverse before u come roa complete stop.
From the sound the car makes. Doesn't sound like a good idea

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by Spartanville(m): 6:58am On Feb 27, 2018
AnaCheks:
[quote author=Spartanville post=65403385]u MUST YOU BOOK SPACE EEHHH... Let it end this month grin
Lol the struggle for ftc

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by maxiuc(m): 6:59am On Feb 27, 2018
cheesy

That was how I told my brother to drive me , he brought out two legs to drive Automatic car ,I said haba Bros this no be manual car abeg take it easy with your mucles

9 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by Nobody: 7:00am On Feb 27, 2018
Nice one
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by Samanza89: 7:02am On Feb 27, 2018
Noted....
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by ekanDamie: 7:05am On Feb 27, 2018
Only Danfo drivers should like manual transmissions.
Its like someone telling me he like pentuim1 to coreI5..
Ladies n gentlemen, pls upgrade n stop justifying manual cars in this era of guestures starting cars.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by sexdoll: 7:07am On Feb 27, 2018
Manual is so analog.

Like IBB said, we are now in the era of digital driving. grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by dukeo(m): 7:21am On Feb 27, 2018
Manual anytime any day... Like if you agree

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by Quality20(m): 7:22am On Feb 27, 2018
manual is da best. Try it. ladies however like auto

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by SIRKAY98(m): 7:24am On Feb 27, 2018
Manual simply d best

6 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by vickyvershy96(m): 7:33am On Feb 27, 2018
Manual is not that bad until u enter traffic
Serious wahala

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by basic23111: 7:35am On Feb 27, 2018
Helpful info. I still love manual. If u can drive manual car, there is no vehicle u can't drive.

8 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by femi4: 7:39am On Feb 27, 2018
For Lagos traffic, God forbid manual

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by mywells: 7:42am On Feb 27, 2018
A driver Driving automatic with out the experience of manual is a learner or better still a crippled driver.

17 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by Nuelmatic: 7:47am On Feb 27, 2018
I still drive a manual but I won't lie to you. I wish it was auto. I have suffered in traffic. it has its good side Sha. if the car breaks down, I can push and start it. lol

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by Nobody: 7:51am On Feb 27, 2018
Manual is bae, automatic is for lazy drivers. You don't even need a driving school to learn one.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by ndcide(m): 7:53am On Feb 27, 2018
Reading number 4, it's obvious the Op, drove manual in a long while or drive only new cars.

If so, you are not an authority.... Some times, no 4 is inevitable.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by crisycent: 7:54am On Feb 27, 2018
I totally disagree with no.2

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Likely Causes For An Overheating Car Engine / Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars / UK Government Wants Every New Home To Come With An EV Charger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.