Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,981 members, 7,828,473 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car (15125 Views)

5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by Meedu(m): 8:15am On Feb 27, 2018
I saw a 2010 Mini Cooper (manual transmission) with cruise control. I wonder how simple or complicated that will be.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by jaxxy(m): 8:20am On Feb 27, 2018
I love manual drives also and these are very correct

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by coleB(m): 8:31am On Feb 27, 2018
manual simply d best... u can easily engage gear and push to start wen battery is down unlike automatic

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by hikmojj(m): 8:49am On Feb 27, 2018
Like the OP said, I just like being in total control of my car! I love manual transmission, though author cars are not bad either!

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by thesicilian: 9:08am On Feb 27, 2018
dukeo:
Manual anytime any day... Like if you agree
I prefer manual transmission. To me auto is so easy I have to keep playing music in order to stay awake.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by nwoye72: 9:15am On Feb 27, 2018
one thing i found out about nigerians is that they want to do same thing mr okeke did,and never want to try new stuff.thats why oyibos are moving ahead and innovating more.so do your own thing and don't mind people ideas.
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by psalmson001: 9:15am On Feb 27, 2018

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by psalmson001: 9:22am On Feb 27, 2018
thesicilian:

I prefer manual transmission. To me auto is so easy I have to keep playing music in order to stay awake.

I think say na only me dey feel bored while driving automatic trans.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by oruma19: 9:32am On Feb 27, 2018
AutoJoshNIG:
As it stands now and with the current trend in car technology, majority of drivers will give you 1001 reasons why automatic cars are better than manual cars. However, there are different strokes for different folks; some petrol heads still stick to the good old manual transmission. They just want to be in control. I’m one of them.

You may have been unintentionally messing up your transmission with the way you handle it. Be it as it may, I’m here to help you in my own little way.

Relax, read, assimilate and put it to practice.

Here are 5 things you shouldn’t do if you drive manual transmission.

1. Do not leave your car in gear when you have no intention to move:

You might be wondering why on earth you shouldn’t do this. It is very simple.

It is bad to do so because when you leave it engaged in a gear, your clutch will suffer from unnecessary wear and tear.

When the clutch is depressed, three main parts of the clutch press against the other – the spring, the bearing, and the diaphragm. This will gradually wear out.

So, next time you’re warming your car, at the stop light, have no intention of moving ASAP when the engine is cranked, just move the gear lever to the Neutral position in order not to overwork or stress your clutch.

2. Do not rest you hand on the gear lever:

All those times you have been forming gangster, cruising your car with one arm on the steering and the other comfortably resting on the lever, you have been getting it all wrong.

This one is particularly a bit surprising, but it is true. It is bad.

The weight of your arm can actually cause the parts responsible for gear shifting to rub against each other. This wears out your selector fork (transaxle shift forks). This on the long run might make your car start jumping out of gear.

Do your gear shift a favour and take back your hand back to the steering wheel. It is also a good driving habit to leave both hands on the wheel for proper control.

3. Do not floor you throttle/gas pedal when your engine is at low RPM:

Behind the scene, a lot is happening in a manual transmission. Flooring your throttle at a low RPM is unhealthy to the engine. By so doing, you tell the engine to accelerate as hard as it can. This brings much stress to the engine; it makes the engine work really hard.

Instead of flooring the throttle at a very low RPM, just downshift – move to a lower gear.

4. Do not use the clutch to hold your car on a hill:

I have heard many people call this ‘clutch engagement’. I don’t know how it came to be anyway.

This is the habit of using the clutch and throttle simultaneously so it could act as brake to avoid rolling back when in a hilly terrain.

When you do this, you are actually burning out the friction material on your clutch disk. Avoid this.

Use the conventional break and the handbrake (E-brake) in worst case scenarios.

5. Do not rest your foot on the clutch:

This makes your clutch not to be fully engaged. It causes wearing out of the clutch. It might also cause you car not to put down full engine power. It is called riding-the-clutch.

Any lover of manual transmission in the house? Don’t forget to tell us a thing or two in the comment section.

Also like, rate and share.

Good luck and shift safely!

https://autojosh.com/5-things-shouldnt-driving-manual-transmission-car/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun
wow!!!!!! So Nairaland can be tgis good... Best thing u v read on this forum since I was born...ahahahahaha. I am guilty of all the points stated, I mean all...thanks so much for this training, it's worth hundreds of thousands I swear.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by StudyCrestLtd: 9:35am On Feb 27, 2018
free2ryhme:

people still dey drive manual for the era

una just dey suffer una legs
There are latest cars with MT if you care to know

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by StudyCrestLtd: 9:37am On Feb 27, 2018
psalmson001:
Which position is your head
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by pgodson7(m): 10:42am On Feb 27, 2018
i partially disagree with number 4 becos wen u go for driving tests at some major companies, it is part of the test given to u to try and also in situations wen ur car suddenly devolops break n quench u will need that skill to keep ur car from turning off

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by Octaves(m): 12:19pm On Feb 27, 2018
SoftP:
The only good thing about a manual car is keeping u awake and alert when going on long distance trip. Otherwise, naa punishment all the way !
na lie o. manual is way more fun than auto on the highway if you know how to drive it well. the only place manual can feel like a chore is in stop-go traffic. I was stuck with an auto shift recently in a traffic congestion and I fatigued my right leg.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by Octaves(m): 12:22pm On Feb 27, 2018
atilla:
Putting the car into reverse before u come roa complete stop.
From the sound the car makes. Doesn't sound like a good idea
exactly. that grinding noise ain't good. you have to stop completely.
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by Gracesofar(m): 1:07pm On Feb 27, 2018
SoftP:
The only good thing about a manual car is keeping u awake and alert when going on long distance trip. Otherwise, naa punishment all the way !

Lol buh I prefer a manual transmission. Its just sweet to me moving at gears I love

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by Tojued: 1:10pm On Feb 27, 2018
I was wondering when i read it. Because, for instance you're in traffic and going uphill... Driving a manual in this situation without rolling back is what differentiates the learner from the driver.

ndcide:
Reading number 4, it's obvious the Op, drove manual in a long while or drive only new cars.

If so, you are not an authority.... Some times, no 4 is inevitable.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by Nobody: 1:23pm On Feb 27, 2018
I still repeat it. Manual for me any day. Well except in terrible lagos traffic na there your left leg go hear am. Other than that, it's fun driving manual.
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by wait: 9:08pm On Mar 01, 2018
Driving a manual is exciting, if you haven't got used it gets stressful at times, I would like say something on shifting of gears when changing down, I heard most people say on this technique called blocking gears, does this affect the transmission? If you learning to drive start with the manual, you have more advantages and skill to become an excellent driver,good review.
Re: 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car by xpensivealex(m): 11:42am On Feb 04, 2021
psalmson001:
sometimes I always ask myself the consequence of shifting the gear lever to reverse while on high speed and top gear? Devil always bring such curiousity while driving but I always caution myself never to try it. Or is there anyone in the house that has try such.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars / Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box / 5 Likely Causes For An Overheating Car Engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.