Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

Ask Me Anything About Deism - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ask Me Anything About Deism (2491 Views)

Deism And Atheism Are The Different Sides Of The Same Wrong Coin. / The Fallacy Of Agnosticism And Deism. / The Failure Of Christian Deism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Anything About Deism by UyiIredia(m): 10:00am On Jan 23, 2019
Rilwayne001:

How did you come about this god outside of religion?

Logic and reason. The human mind, design in living things and the nature of things like matter & time strongly suggest to me a God exists.

Rilwayne001:

Did he reveal himself to you?

Deism rejects divine revelation as proposed by religion. The only revealing deists accept is the God revealed in Nature. We look at Nature and what we see in it makes us conclude there is a God. And we stop there.

Anything more than that is personal to the deist. For example, some deists pray (as they think to God), many like myself don't. Some deists believe in an afterlife like I do, some don't. Classical deists like Thomas Jefferson (the US president) believed in judgement and were cultural Christians in that they went to church, read the Bible liked aspects of Christianity etc etc. Some deists like Voltaire hated everything Christian. So much so many books till date misinform that Voltaire did not believe in God.

Religions think things like visions, dreams, miracles & prophecies are not just evidence for God but means by which God makes His will on how we should order our lives and worship Him in the form of a religion like Judaism, Islam or Hinduism. Deists don't think like that.

Rilwayne001:

And can you perhaps states the purpose behind why this god created the universe?

I don't know. And no deist can or would say because going beyond a belief in God to knowing God's desires and intentions are what religions like Christianity do.

Rilwayne001:

Why he created you?

No. I think life and myself came from God though I and deists can't say why. Again, it's religions a d religious people that do that. Rather than hearing religious people speak on God's purpose I think God should speak for Himself. In a way there's no doubt, and specifically not through men. At this point if God talks through a donkey or snake to confirm a religion that will be nice since donkeys and snakes don't talk, doing so would clearly be supernatural.

[quote author=Rilwayne001 post=75027760
Or simply, how's the relationship between this god and our world? [/quote]

God is the Creator the universe and men are created. Simple and short. I think Muslims are correct when they criticize Christians saying God came in the form of a man then hiding behind divine mysteries to shift criticisms of that logic. If God really wanted religions I think He can very easily do it in a way doubting it will either be impossible or make you the obvious fool since the evidence would be glaring.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Deism by Rilwayne001: 10:46am On Jan 23, 2019
UyiIredia:

Logic and reason. The human mind, design in living things and the nature of things like matter & time strongly suggest to me a God exists.

No doubt all these are enough evidence to show that, but then how can you be so sure that your reasons have not failed you in this regard?

Deism rejects divine revelation as proposed by religion. The only revealing deists accept is the God revealed in Nature. We look at Nature and what we see in it makes us conclude there is a God. And we stop there.

No doubt, nature itself is a big evidence of God's existence.

Anything more than that is personal to the deist. For example, some deists pray (as they think to God), many like myself don't.

Why don't you? Why do you think other deists do?

Some deists believe in an afterlife like I do, some don't.

Can you please tell why you believe in an afterlife and how you presume it to look like??

Classical deists like Thomas Jefferson (the US president) believed in judgement and were cultural Christians in that they went to church, read the Bible liked aspects of Christianity etc etc. Some deists like Voltaire hated everything Christian. So much so many books till date misinform that Voltaire did not believe in God.
Religions think things like visions, dreams, miracles & prophecies are not just evidence for God but means by which God makes His will on how we should order our lives and worship Him in the form of a religion like Judaism, Islam or Hinduism. Deists don't think like that.
I don't know. And no deist can or would say because going beyond a belief in God to knowing God's desires and intentions are what religions like Christianity do.

I think where the problem is, is the PURPOSE and rationale behind existence. It is ridiculous to assume god create all that exists without a purpose.
And as well, do you believe I angels or other creatures that we can't see or observe with our sensory organs?

No. I think life and myself came from God though I and deists can't say why.

This is the problem with theism. How can you not know why?

Again, it's religions a d religious people that do that. Rather than hearing religious people speak on God's purpose I think God should speak for Himself. In a way there's no doubt, and specifically not through men. At this point if God talks through a donkey or snake to confirm a religion that will be nice since donkeys and snakes don't talk, doing so would clearly be supernatural.

And do you believe in the supernatural?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Deism by UyiIredia(m): 11:28am On Jan 23, 2019
So far, so good.

Rilwayne001:

No doubt all these are enough evidence to show that, but then how can you be so sure that your reasons have not failed you in this regard?

Reason hasn't failed when it comes to science, logic, math etc and the technology it makes that is reliable.

When it comes to God I would be stupid to deny there is a leap of faith everyone (including deists and atheists) are making since it is on things beyond us. I think that's where religious people are kind of right when they say even people without religion have faith. I can only have faith my reasoning on the issue is correct.

Rilwayne001:

No doubt, nature itself is a big evidence of God's existence.

Fair enough. We agree on that.

Rilwayne001:

Why don't you? Why do you think other deists do?

I don't totally not pray. Just very rarely especially just before I became a deist and I was like "My last card. God better just answer me on which religion is right or na red card I go give religion." No reply, no clear evidence, not even the voice in head Christians take as evidence which I think is weak.

Many deists think God isn't the type of God that answers prayers. Some think God can but need evidence to accept they should pray. But all of us don't bother about it, and we don't think it is compulsory. That's how deism is.

Rilwayne001:

Can you please tell why you believe in an afterlife and how you presume it to look like??

I don't know how the afterlife is like so that is going too far. I just hope God made a good afterlife and believe based on that hope. I love life too much to think dying forever is my end after this life. Atheists have me on that one. I want to live after death so I believe in an Afterlife.

Rilwayne001:

I think where the problem is, is the PURPOSE and rationale behind existence. It is ridiculous to assume god create all that exists without a purpose.
And as well, do you believe I angels or other creatures that we can't see or observe with our sensory organs?

I didn't say God made the universe without a purpose. I said I don't know the purpose. In fact, I think God must have had something in mind making the universe. I just don't know and won't believe without solid evidence.

I think spirits and even jazz exist but don't believe it like religious people do. I don't interpret it in a religious framework and generally accept it by the case. Why I believe it is because of personal experiences I won't share. I have shared too much online as it stands.

Rilwayne001:

This is the problem with theism. How can you not know why?

I think you should be okay with not knowing why. It's not eveything somebody can know. Maybe religious people are so eager to know God's purpose they make religion up or they interpret the supernatural wrongly.

Rilwayne001:

And do you believe in the supernatural?

I do. Like I said I believe in jazz and spirits but not like the typical Nigerian or African does. I'd say there some level of skepticism I have borrowed from atheists. Besides, isn't God supernatural?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Deism by Nobody: 1:05pm On Feb 18, 2019
Hmm interesting! Deism growing daily!
The force of reason has always prevailed and will prevail in our time
Re: Ask Me Anything About Deism by oliva980: 4:43am On Dec 23, 2022
Ask me is a new feature on the Facebook and Instagram platforms, and is a worthy addition to your social media toolbox. With more than 1 billion monthly users and a few hundred million active users, it's a veritable gold mine for your brand and a great place to find out what your customers are up to. Lulamind is an expert of mind question; visit them for more interesting information.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sodom And Gomorrah: The Link Between Idolatry, Homosexuality and Wickedness / The Truth And Lies Of The Churches / Why The Rise In Crime Rate Just Before Christmas ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.